TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What octane gas in my GTH ?

cobraguy69

Well I don’t want to beat a dead horse but after reading all the feedback on this thread I just had to chime in on my facts about the 91 octane, k&n air filter and tunes on my car. I work for Dodge and had one of the veteran mechanics take a look at my 16 GTH. Now, even though the calibration/tune does not reflect on my newly received hertz package Shelby invoice my car does have the 91 octane sticker, K&n sticker and filter and is tuned per the mechanics assessment of the car. Air/fuel ratios are in the 13.9-14.2 range indicating a tuned vehicle. My opinion is that one or two (could be more) Shelby techs tuned a few GTH cars without anyone’s knowledge and got away with it. 

Isn't air/fuel one of the gauges we have? I need to run out my car and see what mine reads. Is this at an idle or what? The FORD service guy told me they are not able to hook up their computer to tell if I had the tune or not. Brent

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:54 PM, GTH064 said:

Well I don’t want to beat a dead horse but after reading all the feedback on this thread I just had to chime in on my facts about the 91 octane, k&n air filter and tunes on my car. I work for Dodge and had one of the veteran mechanics take a look at my 16 GTH. Now, even though the calibration/tune does not reflect on my newly received hertz package Shelby invoice my car does have the 91 octane sticker, K&n sticker and filter and is tuned per the mechanics assessment of the car. Air/fuel ratios are in the 13.9-14.2 range indicating a tuned vehicle. My opinion is that one or two (could be more) Shelby techs tuned a few GTH cars without anyone’s knowledge and got away with it. 

I don't think we are beating a dead horse at all, and thanks for continuing this thread which obviously has a lot of us GT-H owners wondering what exactly is going on here. Several members say they have called "someone" at Shelby who say the automatic cars didn't get the package. Is that the final word ? I don't think so. Let's say you buy a car from the dealer that has an add on feature or engine upgrade on the invoice, but then when you ask the dealer about it, he tells you - "Oh no, the manufacturer tells me they didn't put that on your car ". Would you be satisfied with that or let it go at that ? Well, some of us aren't satisfied yet- Can we get an official statement about what happened and then we'll all go down the road and enjoy our great 2016 GT-H's.

I agree that we still have not yet received a full clarification on what was done to these cars. Someone (Shelby or Hertz) has got to know something!!!

Edited by GTH064
Misspelling

I drove #130 today and the air/fuel gauge was reading in the 14.0 range give or take. Idle and load pretty much the same. We need to get a stock 2016 GT 435HP comparison.

As a side note about weather the tune was done on the car or not, here in this thread SA Steven had stated early on that there was no Executive Order to modify the engines (no tune). We did learn the first 6 (SC cars) got a tune. Several of us have reached out directly to SA, myself included, and we all get the same information: no tune. The PP1 has two components, the hardware and the software. I believe the hardware was installed on the assembly line, but a master tune for all the cars that had the PP1 on the invoice did not get the tune. That would take about an hour a car from what I know. I think they would know over on the tune side of the shop if they did that. My 2 cents.

Once I get my PP1 installed, I will see if the A/F ratio changes. Brent

I found this searching on the internet. I think the 14.0 A/F ratio is STOCK - no insult intended!

Hi everyone. Newer to the board. 2015 GT Premium/Auto. Just recently, I've noticed my air/fuel gauge moving around alot. When at idle, it is around 14 which is normal. But what I've noticed is that it is now moving around in choppy way at idle. Normally it would just kind of float around 14, but now the motion is more distinct. When I am decelerating, I now see it pegging at 20, then in floats back down sometimes going to 10 then back up around 14. I have not tested at WOT but was wondering if anyone with an automatic sees it the same way.
Stock tune, no mods other than roush axle back.

For a heads up: I had my local Ford Dealership install the PP2, (2016 GT-H, 12.8k miles)  after which when driving the car for about 15 minutes or so, would "stumble" when accelerating. Several times was quite pronounced and even once the engine cut off momentarily and I coasted to the side of the road. My car started immediately thereafter like nothing had ever happened.

I Googled around and found information about other Mustangs of our vintage with the same or similar problem, even without the Power Packs installed. I took my car back to the Dealership and they could find nothing wrong, no codes thrown. Rumor has it that if 91+ octane is not used, can create this problem. Also, rumor again, that it will take a while for the car to learn the PP2 and then the stalling/stumbling resolves.

Let me know if you have any stalling or stumbling issues after your PP1.

I have no drivability issues with PP1. I have driven it more the last couple of days and there is a definite difference. It is almost as regular drive mode is a bit how Sport mode was. It has more throttle response and is definitely throatier. I like it, well worth the cost especially give I have a PP1 documented car. Right now I am still burning through a tank of 87, still no issues.

Not sure why a cold air intake would cause this issue on your car. I cant recall, does the PP2 also have a larger TB, or is that on the PP3? I also wonder if the "tune" is the same between the 3 PP's - that it is just a factor of the additional hardware installed that bumps up the HP? Good luck on the stumbling issue. I am sure given diligence, the solution will be found. I wonder if either FORD RACING or SHELBY might be able to shed some light on your PP2 issue? Brent

• 2 months later...
Guest PP2 Stumbling

PP2 UPDATE

Still having stumbling/stalling issues. Have approximately 800 miles since installation of the Power Pack 2. Most recent time was "really bad" with the engine shutting off and  the image of small wrench on the info screen. Rebooted (restarted) car and again, everything appears fine. Until next time.

Trying to get my car into the dealership to analyze this. Could be very dangerous if on the freeway.

To be continued...

P1000765 Small.JPG

P1000765 Small.JPG

6 hours ago, Guest PP2 Stumbling said:

PP2 UPDATE

Still having stumbling/stalling issues. Have approximately 800 miles since installation of the Power Pack 2. Most recent time was "really bad" with the engine shutting off and  the image of small wrench on the info screen. Rebooted (restarted) car and again, everything appears fine. Until next time.

Trying to get my car into the dealership to analyze this. Could be very dangerous if on the freeway.

To be continued...

P1000765 Small.JPG

P1000765 Small.JPG

Assume this is Dr Garry Kraft ....sorry to hear this. Maybe run it by SAI as I believe the PP2/3 is part of the GT350 package. Brent 

Edited by blz57

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my stumbling/stalling issues after installation of PP2.

I recently opened my laptop and there was  notification for an update to the PP2 software on my computer. I updated the program and flashed/installed the update to my Shelby.

Took it for a drive and, so far, no stalling issues! The shifting was improved a bit as well, did not seem to lag between gears as much. Went over to Vista Ford and spoke with Peter, the Service Attendant (BTW , has been gracious and patient and overall a good guy) who thought the PP2 update was the cause of the drivability improvement.

Going out tomorrow for a C&C will keep you apprised. For those of you who have already installed the PP2, recommend you update the program in your laptop and reinstall to your car.

To be continued...

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:13 AM, Dr Garry Kraft said:

Update on my stumbling/stalling issues after installation of PP2.

I recently opened my laptop and there was  notification for an update to the PP2 software on my computer. I updated the program and flashed/installed the update to my Shelby.

Took it for a drive and, so far, no stalling issues! The shifting was improved a bit as well, did not seem to lag between gears as much. Went over to Vista Ford and spoke with Peter, the Service Attendant (BTW , has been gracious and patient and overall a good guy) who thought the PP2 update was the cause of the drivability improvement.

Going out tomorrow for a C&C will keep you apprised. For those of you who have already installed the PP2, recommend you update the program in your laptop and reinstall to your car.

To be continued...

Promising!!

Brent