TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What octane gas in my GTH ?

cobraguy69

More.

On my car I have a SAI invoice and it DOES NOT have the Ford Hertz calibration HM-9603-M8 Power Pack 1 on it.  BTW, the Hertz people were terrific, not only sending me the documentation in my Hertz packet but also new black screws for the grill and GT-H wheel caps.

With the Power Pack 2, the Cold Air intake is open on the top with a rubber seal that abuts the closed hood. Right where one of the 4 hood air intakes is located...

Now, I do not drive my car in the rain and can easily put a plastic sheet over the air intake when washing the car. The PP 2 air filter is paper, but I may change it to a K&N which is impregnated with oil, and inadvertently if I do get any water on it should be resistant to any deterioration.

The cold air intake that comes with the PP 2 is the same as the one on the 2015-2018 Shelby GT350s & GT350Rs. I think Ford also provides a blue performance filter as a replacement for the paper one.

K&N Vehicle Fitment Note: This replacement air filter (E0649) is a direct-fit upgrade for all 2015-2018 Shelby GT350s and GT350Rs. It will also fit 2015-2018 EcoBoost and GT model Mustangs equipped with the Ford Performance GT350 Cold Air Intake Kit (M9603M23).

4 hours ago, phyllis said:

Ok I just got word from Shelby that none of the GT H cars #17 through #171 got the Ford Calibration HM-9603-M8  I ask if that 100 percent and was told yes. My  guy at Shelby is going to get with the guy that tunes the cars to double check Monday but he told him none of the automatic cars got the tune. The only cars that got tuned were #1 through #16. The story continues. 

Interesting, then I wonder who affixed the 91 octane label and took it upon themselves to swap out the factory filter for a K&N and affix that label? Something does not add up. Could this have been done at FORD if SAI says they did not do it? Brent

6 hours ago, cobraguy69 said:

blz57 - So there are 3 PP's available ? Sorry for my ignorance, but what is larger TB ? My car has PP1, How do I go about getting PP2 or PP3 ? Ford dealer ? Shelby Parts ? Thanks in advance guys for all this good info.   John.

John, sorry TB is throttle Body. Go to FORD RACING's website and look up HM-9603-M8 and you should see the other kits. They are all emissions legal with the FORD computer tune. American Muscle also has video's on  those Power Packs. I have read about having the FORD dealer install the kit, keeps the warranty intact.

I don't know about the PP2 or a cold air intake (CAI) - it rains alot where I live and DR Kraft confirmed one the hood vents is over the CAI. I would have to box that vent with a tube drain. I don't know if the hood vents have function? Brent

Edited by blz57

2016 GTH owners.  Added a new thread for CSM’s and photos of your new rides in the 2016 GTH coupe group. Love to start a collection of pics for 2016 GTH owners/team Shelby members. Not trying to hi jack this thread just placing add here since this is primarily the target group.  Enjoy your rides!

image.png.888c0f8b599bdddfc91a7fd70a6910him him

On my car I have a SAI invoice and it DOES NOT have the Ford Hertz calibration HM-9603-M8 Power Pack 1 on it.

Just picked my car up from Vista Ford after installing the Power Pack 2. Have not had a chance to thoroughly drive it but will let you know how everything works out tomorrow.

P1000601 Small A.JPG

2016 GT-H SMALL.JPG

PS: Had Vista Ford put my old air cleaner, throttle body, sound tube etc. in a big box. Will keep everything in case I want to take it back to totally stock.

A little update on the air cleaner, the service manager at Vista Ford was not enamored with the K&N air filters stating oil coming off them can hurt the throttle body or MAF sensor(?).

I will leave the paper air filter on at least temporarily. If there's anybody in the Forum that can give us a little more insight on the oiled air filters, would greatly appreciate the feedback.

Dr K - interesting about the benefits of the paper filter. Also,. not sure I have seen the shock tower brace (at least that is what I call it) on a GT-H before. Brent

PS: how is your ride now with the PP2? I am sure you hear more air intake noise upon hard acceleration, how about power? 

Also,. not sure I have seen the shock tower brace

The shock tower brace was an "Amazon option"   ;-)

Have not had a chance to drive it much yet since the PP 2, but the acceleration does feel improved. Did have one cough and stall, but do not know if that was from the new Tune.

With the sound tube delete (and inherently robust exhaust) didn't notice much difference concerning intake noise.

Will be going to a Cars and Coffee via the freeway and will have a lot more feedback after that.

Geez, these cars are fun!

1 hour ago, Dr Garry Kraft said:

Also,. not sure I have seen the shock tower brace

The shock tower brace was an "Amazon option"   ;-)

Have not had a chance to drive it much yet since the PP 2, but the acceleration does feel improved. Did have one cough and stall, but do not know if that was from the new Tune.

With the sound tube delete (and inherently robust exhaust) didn't notice much difference concerning intake noise.

Will be going to a Cars and Coffee via the freeway and will have a lot more feedback after that.

Geez, these cars are fun!

Nice

14 hours ago, Dr Garry Kraft said:

PS: Had Vista Ford put my old air cleaner, throttle body, sound tube etc. in a big box. Will keep everything in case I want to take it back to totally stock.

A little update on the air cleaner, the service manager at Vista Ford was not enamored with the K&N air filters stating oil coming off them can hurt the throttle body or MAF sensor(?).

I will leave the paper air filter on at least temporarily. If there's anybody in the Forum that can give us a little more insight on the oiled air filters, would greatly appreciate the feedback.

There are literally thousands of websites/forums discussing air and oil filters. Essentially filtration is a trade-off.  One of the typical trade-offs of air filtration is that as filtration efficiency goes up, the air flow efficiency typically goes down. You have to decide if you want more efficient filtration or more efficient air flow. When comparing a K&N type oiled air filter  vs a same sized typical paper media filter, the K&N Type oiled filter will typically flow better than a typical paper filter because it has a more open media (cotton) and typically a less torturous flow path. Both filter types as they start to do their job will both become more efficient at filtration and in turn air flow capability will go down as the filter performs its function.  I won’t get in to all the dirt holding capacity, delta P, etc. If you run K&N’s instead of an OEM type paper media then your engine over time is going to ingest more contaminants through the intake over its life span……… plain and simple…… so again, it’s a trade off,  do you want your car to go faster or clean the air it ingests?

In regard to the “oiled Filter” fouling an MAF, almost any dealer is going to blow that BS at you about a K&N type oiled filter fouling the MAF. Why?  Because it kills his chances of selling you a replacement filter every 10 to 15k miles. If you clean and oil an oiled air filter properly it will not foul an MAF. Can an OVER OILED filter foul your MAF?  Possibly, because it seems no product can be made idiot proof these days. I have run K&N and other type oiled air filters for decades and never had a problem with the filters themselves or the MAF. I have also had dealerships try to feed me the BS about MAF fouling and it just isn’t true. Ask your dealer to provide any tech bulletins or case studies showing that properly oiled air filters cause MAF fouling. I doubt he will be able to produce one. Plus if they actually do foul MAF’s why are OEM’s offering oiled type air filters on new cars or Factory Upgrade kits?

Back to topic: Octane Requirement for the Ford/Shelby/Hertz 2016 GTH, inquiring minds still want to know.

Okay I got conformation that my 2016 Shelby GT H did not get the Ford Hertz calibration HM-9603-M8.  I had Shelby run my vin.# and csm # and there tuner guy said that none of the automatic cars got the calibration other than the 16 super charged cars. My Shelby/Hertz invoice shows the calibration. Shelby was confused on why my invoice showed the calibration and did not have a answer other than no automatic GT H got the calibration at Shelby.  

20 minutes ago, phyllis said:

Okay I got conformation that my 2016 Shelby GT H did not get the Ford Hertz calibration HM-9603-M8.  I had Shelby run my vin.# and csm # and there tuner guy said that none of the automatic cars got the calibration other than the 16 super charged cars. My Shelby/Hertz invoice shows the calibration. Shelby was confused on why my invoice showed the calibration and did not have a answer other than no automatic GT H got the calibration at Shelby.  

So if none of the automatic cars got the calibration, including mine, I can live with that- Therefore my GTH  has a 5.0 GT engine., which the 2016 Mustang manual says takes 87 octane. So now I am back to my original question - Why does my car, if it doesn't have an upgrade, have the use 91 + octane sticker on it, can Shelby tell me that ?

10 minutes ago, cobraguy69 said:

So if none of the automatic cars got the calibration, including mine, I can live with that- Therefore my GTH  has a 5.0 GT engine., which the 2016 Mustang manual says takes 87 octane. So now I am back to my original question - Why does my car, if it doesn't have an upgrade, have the use 91 + octane sticker on it, can Shelby tell me that ?

I was told they put the 91 sticker and the K&N sticker on them because they had them. Shelby did not get the EO (executive order to modify a engine)in time to do the tune.

3 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

A Ford dealer should be able to tell you which tune is in the car. 

That is an idea. There is no reason for 91 octane just for a K&N air filter.

14 hours ago, 06H275 said:

So i just checked 16H0151 and no calibration kit on invoice, and no K&N sticker on the air filter cover.

I do however, have the 91 octane sticker on the gas filler door....

:lurk:

Crazy how Shelby/Hertz did the invoices because my 2016 Shelby GT H invoice has the calibration on it and has the K&N/91 sticker but Shelby ran my vin. and csm # to make sure it did not get the calibration. The tuner guy said no automatics got the tune but he ran my vin.# to be sure and it came back no. Weird.

I'd like to keep this thread going - Lots of 2016 GT-H owners like myself wondering if we got the calibration kit HM-9603-M8 listed on our invoice, no definite answer yet. Is there anyone watching here or a member from Ford/Shelby/Hertz that can solve this mystery for us ?

2 minutes ago, cobraguy69 said:

I'd like to keep this thread going - Lots of 2016 GT-H owners like myself wondering if we got the calibration kit HM-9603-M8 listed on our invoice, no definite answer yet. Is there anyone watching here or a member from Ford/Shelby/Hertz that can solve this mystery for us ?

I was told 100% no from Shelby. 

I also checked with SA and was told, no, they do not have the blue ProCal module or the code needed to complete the tune. I was hoping it was lying around. Hertz was the buyer of the parts for the GT-H and Hertz drop-shipped them to SA. it seemed to me the PP1 "hardware" was installed at SA, just not the "software" (on my car for example, that has the PP1 (HM-9603-M8) on the invoice.

So I will go to my FORD dealer and get the PP1 tune installed. The lowest price I have found on the internet is $400 (just happens to be from a FORD dealer)

I will see how much my dealer will charge for the kit. I will end up with a spare K&N filter, and as SA Steven said, not a bad thing.

My Ford dealer sent me a reminder for an upcoming oil change, I will inquire then. I am not sure I want to go with the PP2 (cold air intake & larger TB) due to my rainy climate and water getting sucked into the filter through the hood vent. If I recall, PP1 = +18 HP and PP2 = +24 HP - for about $300 more. Not sure it is worth it too me, given the water issue. 

My car has the PP1 on the invoice, so I will pay to have it done to match the invoice. 

**I think with these cars it would be nice to have a FORD Service record to establish a history of care**

I bought #130 at a Ford dealer. Later my 25 year old son visited the same dealer with me one weekend and found a 2008 GT. It had 125K miles on it, and some nicely done modifications. We asked to see the CARFAX, and guess what? It had 6 pages of FORD regular interval service (oil changes) etc. That sold us the car. 9-10 years of documented service spoke volumes!

I plan to do the same with my GT-H.  I do drive it a bit....

I guess someone could contact HERTZ and see what those nice folks have to say.

Brent