TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What octane gas in my GTH ?

cobraguy69

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

RE: Shelby Hertz #35

Concerning the Ford Hertz Performance Calibration, after reading the input on this Forum, ran down to my car and looking under the gas lid, no 91 octane sticker

Checked out my air filter, was a paper filter, not K&N.

Wondering if only part of the GT-Hs came with the Performance Calibration?

If so, could it be added on aftermarket?

Dr. Kraft

RE: Shelby Hertz #35

Concerning the Ford Hertz Performance Calibration, after reading the input on this Forum, ran down to my car and looking under the gas lid, no 91 octane sticker

Checked out my air filter, was a paper filter, not K&N.

Wondering if only part of the GT-Hs came with the Performance Calibration?

If so, could it be added on aftermarket?

Dr. Kraft

Welcome to TS. I am the person that brought this possible Octane Requirement Discrepancy/ Ford Calibration to SAI’s attention in post #14 above. Some responses above do appear to show that some of the 2016 GT-H cars may indeed have come with the Ford Calibration. In post #32 SAI Steven stated they are researching the matter. Hopefully a more definitive and official answer will be posted soon. It will be interesting to see what the answer is. Congrats on your new car.

PS: just because your car currently has a paper filter not branded K&N doesn’t mean it doesn’t have the Ford calibration. The filter may have been replaced. So again, hopefully SAI Steven soon will be able to provide insight on this octane/ Ford calibration matter along with an answer as to which cars may have/don’t have the Ford Calibration.

Edited by mhr1961

You may be right. I ended up buying a new K&N air filter anyway. The paper filter looked brand-new, so was probably recently changed.

I just got off the phone with Shelby Parts, and he noted that all cars should have come with the Performance Calibration.

When asked why no K&N air filter on my car, he, he surmised the dealership may have changed it out-logical, since I had an apparently brand-new paper filter.

And the K&N decals did tend to fall off due to the under hood heat.

To be continued...

You may be right. I ended up buying a new K&N air filter anyway. The paper filter looked brand-new, so was probably recently changed.

I just got off the phone with Shelby Parts, and he noted that all cars should have come with the Performance Calibration.

When asked why no K&N air filter on my car, he, he surmised the dealership may have changed it out-logical, since I had an apparently brand-new paper filter.

And the K&N decals did tend to fall off due to the under hood heat.

To be continued...

Im not sure who you talked to at Shelby Performance Parts and I am not saying who you talked to is lying. I will simply say that what he/she told you may not be accurate. SAI Steven said earlier that this topic required more research. I would imagine that would mean combing through old invoicing and build data to get an accurate assessment and possibly some coordinating communication with Hertz and Ford. Steven has always been a straight shooter and a wealth of information on Shelby History/Info for us, and hopefully he will enlighten us soon.

This topic I would think for the Hertz owners/buyers is a fairly important issue for several reasons:

1. Shelby Historical accuracy. And, What if only a few or a few dozen ended up with the calibration? then that would make certain 2016 Hertz GT-Hs perhaps a more attractive buy than others due to rarity

2. If some people dont have the Ford calibration and are running 91 octane, then they are throwing money out the window because they could be just fine running 87.

3. If certain 2016 GT-Hs do indeed have the calibration, then the owner needs to know so that they can run 91 or higher to get optimal performance from the Calibration.

4. If people bought a 2016 GT-H thinking it had the calibration as advertised by Hertz recently on their Hertz sales webpage, and it turns out it doesn't, then perhaps they could possibly be due a partial refund from Hertz because the calibration kit retails for $599.00 and most people like to get what they actually thought they paid for.

edited for spelling

Edited by mhr1961

The K&N sticker is so that oil change shops don't throw the filter out and replace it with a paper filter.

The 91 octane sticker is an important clue but more importantly if these cars have the FRPP calibration kit where is the EO decal? EO stands for executive order and is a number assigned to a performance part stating that the part does not violate emission requirements.

I've checked the SAI invoice and this FRPP calibration is not listed on the invoice BUT that is not a smoking gun item as Hertz purchased the FRPP parts from Ford and supplied these parts to SAI.

This needs more research.

On my car I have a SAI invoice and it has the Ford Hertz calibration HM-9603-M8 on it. The invoice I have is 4 pages long. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I am the OP and have not visited here in a while, but find all this new input very interesting. As a new GTH owner in NOV. I was curious why the manual said 87 octane for this car and asked for help here to be sure. The consensus at that time was - If the manual says 87 - Use 87- and I did for my first fill up., and it seemed fine. On my second fill I saw the 91 + sticker on the fuel filler door and upgraded to the higher octane, but never reported back here - I should have. So, my car, # 156 which was a licensee owned car , has the 91 + sticker and the K &N sticker and filter. Just thought I would add this info to the mix. Looking forward to any more word from those who have access to Shelby or Hertz records on this one.

Cobraguy69 - thanks for starting this thread. It was this thread what caught my attention after my Nov purchase. Mine is #130 and the calibration has been verified on mine through HERTZ. 

I am going to post over on the Owners Packet Thread - VERY worthwhile! Brent

Edited by blz57

3 minutes ago, cobraguy69 said:

I would like to get the owner's packet from Hertz for my car. Emailed SAI-Steven , no response yet - it is the Holiday week- Can anyone give me the contact info for Hertz -Is this packet still available ?

I would try Steve again. You will need/want the packet. It's very nice to go with the car. I'm sure Hertz would still the the packet. Hopefully it works out for you.

I started this thread as a new owner of a 2016 Hertz car wondering why a 435 hp V-8 would use 87 octane, but that is what the manual says for a Mustang GT, and since it was said that the 2016 Hertz car was " A GT with paint and badges, but no engine upgrades ", It was agreed that 87should be fine. Then owners started talking about the 91 + stickers on the fuel filler tank door & mine has that too, so I switched to 91. Then one of the members brought up the Ford Hertz Performance Calibration which was said raises the HP from 435 to 448 and the torque from 400fp to 416fp, thus the need for 91 +. Now the question is, do all the Hertz cars have Performance Calibration, or just the licensee cars or just the cars with the 91+ stickers or did all the cars ( after the first 16 executive cars) have the Performance Calibration and the stickers and some just fell off ? So, Not just a GT ? Getting very interesting. 

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:24 PM, cobraguy69 said:
  • Just got my owner package from Hertz for GTH # 156 and it does list the Ford Hertz Calibration HM-9603-M8. Any more info on this out there ?

Patiently waiting! I am glad you got the Owner's packet. Did you get all the goodies? Brent

12 hours ago, blz57 said:

Patiently waiting! I am glad you got the Owner's packet. Did you get all the goodies? Brent

I got the paperwork packet containing the 4 page Shelby invoice, a 1 page Ford invoice and window sticker . Many thanks to the Hertz crew who made this happen. I didn't get any grill rivets or wheel center caps as reported by another member My car has the Hertz center caps. Looked at my grill and the rivets are showing some rust on a 5,000 K car ! I can touch them up, but wondering if this rust problem is the reason for replacement rivets and if any more are available ?

1 hour ago, cobraguy69 said:

I got the paperwork packet containing the 4 page Shelby invoice, a 1 page Ford invoice and window sticker . Many thanks to the Hertz crew who made this happen. I didn't get any grill rivets or wheel center caps as reported by another member My car has the Hertz center caps. Looked at my grill and the rivets are showing some rust on a 5,000 K car ! I can touch them up, but wondering if this rust problem is the reason for replacement rivets and if any more are available ?

I recall reading that they did use the wrong rivets and they should be replaced, a quick search should clarify.  Good to hear you were able to get the original packet.

On 1/13/2018 at 9:52 AM, cobraguy69 said:

The origional rivets (actually screws) were untreated by mistake. Some were replaced at the rental locations. Hertz should have a correct set for you. If you call and don’t have any luck PM me and I’ll help. 

Just got my second Hertz packet - The people there are great about this, sent it right out. I asked about my rusting grill screws and they sent me a new set of screws and 4 GT-H wheel center caps. My car # 0156 has the 91 + sticker and the K&N sticker. The four page Hertz invoice shows that my car has the HM-9603-M8 Ford Hertz Calibration . I'm hoping someone here will shed more light on this Calibration package.

51 minutes ago, cobraguy69 said:

Just got my second Hertz packet - The people there are great about this, sent it right out. I asked about my rusting grill screws and they sent me a new set of screws and 4 GT-H wheel center caps. My car # 0156 has the 91 + sticker and the K&N sticker. The four page Hertz invoice shows that my car has the HM-9603-M8 Ford Hertz Calibration . I'm hoping someone here will shed more light on this Calibration package.

Win Win Win! brent

A bit more information on octane requirements. Took my car into the local Ford dealership, Vista Ford, to have some minor work done, oil change etc (keep warranty current).

I asked the service advisor if he could ascertain if I had the M-9603-M8 - Power Pack 1.  He called Shelby who told him that no, my car did not have that Power Pack, and only a percentage of the GT-H's had it installed.

Interestingly, Shelby told him that my particular car came with the K&N air filter, but without the Tune. My car didn't have the K&N when I purchased it.

I am scheduled next week to have the M-9603-M8A - Power Pack 2 installed. Will keep you apprised.

PS: also just received an e-mail that my Hertz Owners Packet is in the mail!

17 hours ago, Dr Garry Kraft said:

A bit more information on octane requirements. Took my car into the local Ford dealership, Vista Ford, to have some minor work done, oil change etc (keep warranty current).

I asked the service advisor if he could ascertain if I had the M-9603-M8 - Power Pack 1.  He called Shelby who told him that no, my car did not have that Power Pack, and only a percentage of the GT-H's had it installed.

Interestingly, Shelby told him that my particular car came with the K&N air filter, but without the Tune. My car didn't have the K&N when I purchased it.

I am scheduled next week to have the M-9603-M8A - Power Pack 2 installed. Will keep you apprised.

PS: also just received an e-mail that my Hertz Owners Packet is in the mail!

Can you clarify this for me ? Does this mean that if the Hertz packet says your car has the M-9603-M8 power pack, you have Power Pack 1, and if not, you can get it installed at your Ford dealer as M-9603-M8A , Power Pack 2 ? and are they the same thing ? I am confused.

Just received my Hertz Owners Packet; my car was not built with the  M-9603-M8-Power Pack 1 (13 increase horsepower, 16 lbs/ft over stock).

I am having the Power Pack 2 installed -  21hp and 24 lbs/ft peak gains over stock.

In regards to the Ford Racing Power Packs, the GT-H's have Power Pack (PP) #1 (tune and K&N). From memory, the PP #2 is a Cold Air intake and larger TB, with a tune; and PP#3 adds an intake manifold with tune - I think that is what is on the GT350. It is something like that. I am not sure how a Cold Air Intake would work with our hoods - water intrusion.

Dr Garry Kraft - waiting to hear what have to say about the PP2 (?) you are having installed!  Brent

Edited by blz57

18 hours ago, Dr Garry Kraft said:

Just received my Hertz Owners Packet; my car was not built with the  M-9603-M8-Power Pack 1 (13 increase horsepower, 16 lbs/ft over stock).

I am having the Power Pack 2 installed -  21hp and 24 lbs/ft peak gains over stock.

Thanks for clearing some of this up for me, but Dr. Garry, what's with the hieroglyphics ? I don't read ancient Egyptian, what does that mean ?

blz57 - So there are 3 PP's available ? Sorry for my ignorance, but what is larger TB ? My car has PP1, How do I go about getting PP2 or PP3 ? Ford dealer ? Shelby Parts ? Thanks in advance guys for all this good info.   John.

Ok I just got word from Shelby that none of the GT H cars #17 through #171 got the Ford Calibration HM-9603-M8  I ask if that 100 percent and was told yes. My  guy at Shelby is going to get with the guy that tunes the cars to double check Monday but he told him none of the automatic cars got the tune. The only cars that got tuned were #1 through #16. The story continues.