TEAM SHELBY FORUM

It's official: GT500 to have 500 Horsepower

Obviously, you’re not taking my humorous remarks in the manner that they were intended to be…humorous. Let’s take a moment to review. Most everyone here is on pins and needles; clinging on to any tidbit of information that comes along. The other day, the notoriously silent Ford Motor Company sends out a press release advising all that its official, the GT500 will have 500 Horsepower. Wow!

We, the collective participants and members of this form, upon hearing this wonderful news, express our joy and happiness about it. I, knowing that the age old “Ford is better than Chevy, and Chevy is better than Ford” debate has existed since Barney Oldfield kicked the shit out of the Chevrolet Brothers driving OLD 99 against them back in the 1900’s, and has continued since Carroll Shelby fixed up some Mustangs in the mid-sixties, called them GT-350 Cobra Mustangs and then proceeded to kick the shit out of various Chevrolet racing teams that were running Corvette’s against them.

So I thought that I would have some fun with that age old debate and came up with my “Here kitty, kitty, kitty” joke about the Z06. Why would I select the Z06? Well, that’s because right now, the Z06 is at the top of the late model American muscle food chain, so that, combined with the age old debate that I spoke about, is why I targeted the Z06.

Do I think or believe that the Z06 is a piece of crap? Well, other than my specific and visceral disgust with its manufacturer, GM, absolutely not. The Z06 is a formidable car. Light weight for its class and equipped with its small block 427 factory rated @ 505 Horsepower, the Z06 is a serious car. In fact, I have a friend of mine that has been driving a pre-production mule Z06 for a month or two now, and he states that “with the Z06, no one needs to buy a Ferrari anymore”, and he would know, believe me, he would know.

Now, having said that, historically Carroll Shelby has had a distain for Corvettes for many years, and he is also acutely aware that the Z06 is out in the market. There are many here that believe that Carroll’s involvement with the GT500 project is in name only. Those who believe that are seriously wrong in their assumption. Carroll was/is deeply involved with the 500 project at many different levels during its R&D, and knowing what his name and reputation means in the performance automotive world, he is not going to permit anyone to develop an inferior car, especially one with his name on it. I believe that we are all going to be in for a pleasant surprise when the performance numbers start to come in from the 500, as I do not believe that it only has 500 horsepower, no more than I believe that the Z06 only has 505 horsepower.

In closing, my remarks were intended to humorous and nothing else. They were not made to generate statistical data from you or anyone else in order to challenge them. And please note my response here is NOT a result of your opinion, your data, or that I think you are bashing the 500. My response is specifically a result of you telling me to “just try to stay on planet earth here.” I don’t know who you are, and you don’t know who I am, and really I don’t care for your “mentally superior” sarcastic comments like I’m some sort of space cadet or something.

Happy motoring. :shift:

Phew! All I can say is

peace brother!

:sos: Hate to burst anyones bubble but if they don't stop breaking the ends of the cranks all the horsepower in the world won't do you any good. They are still having problems I know first hand. Sorry people I'm number two on my dealers list and this doesn't make me feel very good either

Mustangnut, give us more info! I thought the crank problem was with a proto type motor with different rods and being tested at around 700 HP.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you but things have been a little crazy and I wanted to make sure of my facts. What the boys have done is extend the depth of the crank bolt threads to allow for a longer bolt this will put extra strength at that point by applying a "squeeze" force along that spot in the crank. Hopefully this will take care of any problems. All that is left is the Production verification which should be done in the next few days. Bring on that 500 HP we can handle it now

• 2 weeks later...

Archived