TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tuning Issue (Monoblade Throttle body)

Beezykgt500

I need a lot of help my fellow Shelby owners....my car has the 65 MM. Super Cobra Jet Monoblade throttle body with the JLT Carbon Fiber 127mm cold air intake and a few other bolt one.

I bought the car second hand from a Ford dealership.

I believe someone returned the car to stock.

I bought tunes from BAMA performance and when I loaded my 93 Tune,the car wouldn't run.

I sent BAMA the data log they requested and they told me to have the Throttle body harness inspected to see if it's ok before they re-do my tune?????????????????????????????

I returned my car to stock and it ran fine,not perfect obviously but it runs well enough to drive......I've read threads involving people having problems with the Monoblade throttle body.

HAS ANYONE EVER HAD TO REPLACE THEIR HARNESS?????

Mine doesn't look like it was changed/spliced...I don't know what the problem is....I really want to trade with someone and get a twin 65MM or even a stock one,I don't mind losing some power if that will solve my problem....thanks in advance....

Are you sure the throttle body is a monoblade? Those are much more than 65mm. I have heard though that monoblades can be a little more tricky to tune. I would try to take to a shop that can actually dyno tune the car instead a mail in tune. But I do believe Ford Racing makes a twin bore throttle body if that's what your looking for. But I would definitely try to pick up either an upgraded twin bore or even the stock one would be just fine. Good luck!

It's definitely a Monoblade,I removed my intake to make sure! do you happen to know what size the ford racing Monoblade throttle body is? All this time I thought it was 65mm? Maybe that's why my tune isn't working? Wrong size throttle body in the tune?

Well I'm not too sure the exact mm for the monoblade. That's odd cause I have one as well lol. But I do know that the monoblade flows about 1797cfm compared to the twin 65mm 1517cfm. Ford Racing does have two different throttle bodies. One with just the one big blade and the other the 65mm twin blade. If you did tell Bama it was a 65 mm, he might have made the tune for that size throttle body. I would definitely call him and tell him yours is the big monoblade, maybe he can correct it.

I hope that's the problem! This tuning issue is getting frustrating!!

@ 05Mustangman,you didn't have to have your throttle body harness spliced or anything right?!

From what I've seen,if you a GT500 you can use the factory harness but if it's a regular GT you may need to splice a fitting harness?? Does that sound correct???

According to Accufab, the mfg. who makes them for FRPP, the mono is ( 65mm x 147mm )

I would suspect that with that T/B & CAI, returning it to a stock tune would be a problem in itself. As you bought it from a Ford dealership, I would go back to them for a resolution.

.............................( using a canned tune wouldn't be my 1st choice either )..........( not knocking Bama, just canned tunes in general )

On another website, ( SVTP ), there have been several threads noting issues with tuning mono-blades, not every tuner is up to the task.

Also discussed was a bad batch of T/B's that Accufab owned up to & will repair for free. ( older units )

Pa_Mustang_show_313.jpg30_day_build_update_pics_05_21_2014_007.

I hope that's the problem! This tuning issue is getting frustrating!!

@ 05Mustangman,you didn't have to have your throttle body harness spliced or anything right?!

From what I've seen,if you a GT500 you can use the factory harness but if it's a regular GT you may need to splice a fitting harness?? Does that sound correct???

I haven't acasually installed the throttle body yet, I have a bunch of engine work coming in couple months and will be installed then. But I believe these throttle bodies should be plug and play besides the tuning. And yeah having a stock tune with intake and tb would not be a great idea. But I don't think any splicing should be necessary at all.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago I bought a FRPP Monoblade SCJ Throttle body for my 07 GT500. I installed it, downloaded the BAMA tune and took it for a test drive. After about 3/4 of a mile, the car went into the failsafe mode. I called BAMA and gave them the diagnostic codes and from the codes, they told me I needed to "repin" my throttle actuator harness. I reprogramed back to factory specs, drove home and took the Monoblade TB off and returned it to Summit Racing, telling them it was defective because the throttle actuator was stuck.

Here is part of the description of the SCJ Monoblade TB from the American Muscle site:

Ford Racing Quality. Precision cnc machined from solid billet aluminum to ensure the highest quality, this Ford Racing oval throttle body comes fully assembled, complete with throttle position sensor, actuator motor, and even includes the jumper harness. And features the Ford Racing logo CNC machined into the top of the housing.

I searched several other sites and DID NOT FIND ANY MENTION of a "jumper harness" This jumper harness is what is used to do the repin on the SCJ Monoblade TB. From what BAMA told me, it has to be repinned in order to run correctly.

I ended up getting the CJ Twin 65 MM TB and got a new tune from BAMA. No problem with the 65MM TB.

Not real happy that Summit, nor other sites I checked mentioned the jumper harness. Thankful that Summit took the Monoblade back as FRPP's come without a warranty. It was literally less than 24 hours all total from the time I bought the Monoblade and then brought it back; again very lucky they gave me my money back.

All of the research I did before AND after the fact mention the difficulty with tuning the Monoblade. I believe that the jumper harness and repinning of the TB MUST be done in order for the car to run properly. Again, I'm irritated that that info was nowhere to be found on the Summit web site.

End of the story: The 65MM CJ TB works great. Really changed the character of the car as it provides more response and much quicker acceleration.

Beezy, it sounds like you may have given BAMA the wrong info to get your tune.

Let us know how your situation ended up.

These are the " tech notes " from www.fordperformanceracingparts.com ......see anything listed about a " jumper harness " ???

tech notes
  • Fits 2007-2014 Shelby GT500 (stock dual 62 mm), 2008-2014 Cobra Jet
  • Original Equipment on 2010-2012 Cobra Jet with optional 4.0L supercharger
  • Original Equipment on 2013-2014 Cobra Jet
  • Recommended for use with M-9424-M50CJ intake manifold and M-9603-M50CJ inlet system
  • CFM Rating: 1797cfm.*
  • Precision machined from billet aluminum to ensure consistency
  • Polished finish with CNC'd Ford Racing logo
  • Fully assembled, complete with throttle position sensor and actuator motor, ready to bolt on!
  • Uses OE gears to prevent gear bind and wear common with other aftermarket throttle bodies
  • Does not include calibration, calibration required.

All Ford Racing ETC throttle bodies feature:

• All factory sensors installed - no need to tear apart your original throttle body
  • Calibrated for idle air flow using the same procedure as production throttle bodies
  • Precision billet construction with tapered inlet for consistent high flow
  • Polished aluminum for great looks and underhood "bling"
  • Throttle body features CNC'd Ford Racing logo
  • Validation through hundreds of hours of dyno, racing, and street performance driving

*All cfm ratings are calibrated at 28-inches of water, measured on SuperFlow SF-1020 Flow Bench

Archived