TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How many have gotten a new hood scoop?

blueshawk

How many have gotten a new hood scoop? My S/N is #384 and I'm going to my Ford dealer to have them start the process of getting a new scoop. From some pics I've seen of newer SGT's, the scoop seems to fit better. Who has done this and what are you experiences?

How many have gotten a new hood scoop? My S/N is #384 and I'm going to my Ford dealer to have them start the process of getting a new scoop. From some pics I've seen of newer SGT's, the scoop seems to fit better. Who has done this and what are you experiences?

The reason I'm asking for your experiences is I'm not too sure if the local Ford dealer can really do this right. The scoop really isn't a bad fit. But, there is a noticeable gap on both sides of the scoop when viewed from the driver's or passenger's seat. If you get just the right angle, you can actually see daylight under the sccop. From any other perspective it is hardly noticeable. It appears that Shelby has designed a scoop that is really sensitive to the skill and experience of the installer. Those at SAI have worked thru this problem and have probably developed the right design changes, technique and sequence of steps to make this gap less noticeable. I'm not sure it can be learned and correctly installed by a Ford dealer the first time out. I would rather live with the way it is than have the dealer really screw it up.

What do you think?

I think that you anwsered your own question on the matter. If the light that's peeking through the gap is only really noticible from a specific angle, and as you stated is not that significant, then I would just leave it alone. Sometimes issues can be made worse trying to fix them, and then it only snowballs from there.

The other consideration is that the scoop is made out of fiberglass so it will stretch and shrink with the ambient tempature, so the gap may be better or worse depending on the tempature that day and/or if the metal hood is warm.

I eighty-sixed the hood with the scoop on my SGT and went with the optional GTH CS6 hood. In the end, that another option to consider too.

I am going to ask for a new hoodscoop also. Mine is also warped and I have also seen better fits on the later builds...

I am going to ask for a new hoodscoop also. Mine is also warped and I have also seen better fits on the later builds...

I'm starting to get a little worried about this problem. I just read over on the Shelby Forum where one guy did a fix himself. He has pics of what the problem is and how he fixed it. The probelm is the heat of the engine is creepimg (permanently deforming) the plastic around the inserts in the scoop that hold it to the hood. Just adding two more screws, which is what I've heard id the current Shelby fix, will not solve this in the long term because the plastic will also creep near those screws. They needed to use a higher temperature tolerant plastic then they did to modl this scoop.

this guy fixed it by drilling out all the faux rivets and putting in real ones. It looked real tricky to get right and labor intensive, which is will Shelby didn't to it.

I'm taking my car to the dealer today to start the process of fixing it but I'm doubtful the current fix is really a fix.

I'm starting to get a little worried about this problem. I just read over on the Shelby Forum where one guy did a fix himself. He has pics of what the problem is and how he fixed it. The probelm is the heat of the engine is creepimg (permanently deforming) the plastic around the inserts in the scoop that hold it to the hood. Just adding two more screws, which is what I've heard id the current Shelby fix, will not solve this in the long term because the plastic will also creep near those screws. They needed to use a higher temperature tolerant plastic then they did to modl this scoop.

this guy fixed it by drilling out all the faux rivets and putting in real ones. It looked real tricky to get right and labor intensive, which is will Shelby didn't to it.

I'm taking my car to the dealer today to start the process of fixing it but I'm doubtful the current fix is really a fix.

One owner on the Shelby forum has s/n 2621 and his is starting to lift off the hood.

An idea that may work is to add 3M double sided tape to the current scoop/hood interface. This would help distribute the load and reduce the local deformation/creeping of the plastic around the inserts.

An idea that may work is to add 3M double sided tape to the current scoop/hood interface. This would help distribute the load and reduce the local deformation/creeping of the plastic around the inserts.

You may want to use the 3M tape sparingly so that if it the scoop ever needs to be removed it can without bending the hood. This stuff is strong.

Here is a dumb question.

Why didn't Shelby put a carbon fiber scoop on the hood would have been a better Idea.

I know MONEY.

What did You pay for this car wouldn't You have paid a little more for the right part.

By the time You replace or fix the problem You could have had the right part on there in the first place.

What were they thinking.

Here is a dumb question.

Why didn't Shelby put a carbon fiber scoop on the hood would have been a better Idea.

I know MONEY.

What did You pay for this car wouldn't You have paid a little more for the right part.

By the time You replace or fix the problem You could have had the right part on there in the first place.

What were they thinking.

If this continues to be a problem, even after the "so-called-fix", I suspect a material/design change will be in order. If these cars are to be considered classics, the hood scoop better last as long as the rest of the car.

BTW, SAI is trying though. I made a warranty claim on Monday at my local Ford dealer on Monday. SAI shipped out the replacement scoop and the dealer already has it on Wednesday. However, the dealer can't schedule me to replace it until July 17th! So it's a month away before I know how it will be. This may not be a bad thing though, because SAI may have time to consider a few questions I asked them about the feasiblity of using 3M tape in addition to the added screws.

If this continues to be a problem, even after the "so-called-fix", I suspect a material/design change will be in order. If these cars are to be considered classics, the hood scoop better last as long as the rest of the car.

BTW, SAI is trying though. I made a warranty claim on Monday at my local Ford dealer on Monday. SAI shipped out the replacement scoop and the dealer already has it on Wednesday. However, the dealer can't schedule me to replace it until July 17th! So it's a month away before I know how it will be. This may not be a bad thing though, because SAI may have time to consider a few questions I asked them about the feasiblity of using 3M tape in addition to the added screws.

Thanks Hawk,

My dealership told me to stop by on Monday and they will order me a new scoop...These guys are great to work with...

Archived