TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Factory Built Era 427 Cobra - Real 427 Side Oiler (For Sale)

ITHERTZ66

For #2: I'm 6'3" and there is kind of a trick to get in safely. I put my right foot in the floorboard in front of the seat and then lean in/slide down into the seat while bringing the left leg in the cockpit. Kind of hard to explain, but it works. Getting out is pretty much the reverse and you'll use the back of the seat to push yourself up. The main thing is to always be aware of the side pipes and making sure your left ankle/calf does not get burned upon exit. Only takes a millisecond to light yourself up. I did it once... that was enough. Your wife may be able to swing her legs out and clear the side pipes with no issue and then stand up.

I just got in the habit of making the statement to whomever is in the car every time prior to exit: "be careful... side pipes will burn you".

1). Well, it's not a 100% for sure done deal just yet but it's about a 99.5% done deal. The only reason I won't commit 100% yet is because I have yet to talk to my wife about it. She's in California with our son and grand babies so I haven't bothered her yet and will wait until she leaves Disneyland and heads back to our son's house in Salinas.

It shouldn't be a issue, we both have our own money but she's the 'wise one' (i.e. conservative one!) in the relationship and she could come up with some good reason why i really don't need it that I hadn't thought of since i'm too emotionally involved.

2). Ya know, that's something I hadn't even thought about until I saw mention of it in the other Cobra thread we're texting in. With my bad back I have to pull my feet WAY in towards the car when getting out of my GT500 and if there were sidepipes there, I'd be badly burned over and over again. My wife is a little tiny thing so I'll have to be SURE to help her in and out of the car. That's not a real big problem because I'm one of those guys that opens and shuts the door for her anyway. I'll just have to give her a hand to help her climb out now. The first time she burns herself real badly I'm a dead man and there may be a Cobra up for sale!

3). Yeah, the GoPro is a good idea. There is nowhere to mount it up front but that roll bar will come in real handy. I suppose my suction cup mount can go on the windshield easy enough though.

I've been thinking I should take it to the next Mojave Mile instead of my GT500 again but I'm not sure how a open cockpit car with a 1:1 4-spd wil work on a mile track. Any idea what the terminal/top speed is on something like that? How do they handle at top speed with no rear spoiler or front splitter? With the short wheelbase I'm thinking it would be a handful.

Thanks for your help and interest,

Phill

This is so flipping cool. 99.5% congrats Phil.........your place would make a perfect home for this Cobra.

I also applaud how you and your wife work as a team. :thumbsup: . I've heard lots of "why do you ask for permission" or "be a man and stand up to her". Marji (the wise one) and I are a team and we don't make large purchases without talking it over.

For #2: I'm 6'3" and there is kind of a trick to get in safely. I put my right foot in the floorboard in front of the seat and then lean in/slide down into the seat while bringing the left leg in the cockpit. Kind of hard to explain, but it works. Getting out is pretty much the reverse and you'll use the back of the seat to push yourself up. The main thing is to always be aware of the side pipes and making sure your left ankle/calf does not get burned upon exit. Only takes a millisecond to light yourself up. I did it once... that was enough. Your wife may be able to swing her legs out and clear the side pipes with no issue and then stand up.

I just got in the habit of making the statement to whomever is in the car every time prior to exit: "be careful... side pipes will burn you".

You could also add a removable steering wheel. I have that in CSX7076 and it works great to get my 6'2", 230 lb body in and out of the Cobra.

ERA does offer a quick release steering wheel adapter. However, I'm about 6'3" and it isn't hard getting in and out. If you watch my video you can see how it's done.

Troy,

Hit me on private e-mail for the answer to this: When do you get back in town? I mean, what would be the first day I could pick up the car? My wife is headed to the son's house from Disneyland today so I might be able to call her late tonight, Tomorrow is probably better (to get her input).

And curious, have *you* ever burnt your leg?

Phill

I inquired about the quick connect steering wheel on the Shelby CSX and was told by Gary that it was quite a project. The whole column has to come out. It's easy to do when the car is being built but not so easy after (more than I wanted to tackle anyway).

I got snake bit once. It wasn't getting in/out, but after I got home and was wiping it down with spray detailer and cleaning the windshield. Tried to reach across the glass and got too close.

• 2 weeks later...

If you know what a factory built ERA 427 is and why it's a cut above pretty much all the fiberglass Cobra's out there you will know what a smoking deal this Cobra is. $90K+ to build. Offered at $54,900 and you get ultimate bragging rights with a real vintage 427 side oiler and toploader transmission!

[url=http://customshowboards.com/era446/sale/cobra427.html]rl]g]

SOLD! Errr, well....BOUGHT!

Another ~200 miles to go and she will be sitting in my garage in Colorado Springs, CO

Phill

Glad you didn't have any drama getting her home. Unless of course you don't count all the wasted time with the gathering crowds of people every time you had to stop! Have a great time enjoying that beautiful Cobra. I'm going to miss her.

Troy

SOLD! Errr, well....BOUGHT!

Another ~200 miles to go and she will be sitting in my garage in Colorado Springs, CO

Phill

Congrats. Nice car and great color combo. Troy, does this mean your keeping the Hertz or is that still on the selling block?

Congrats. Nice car and great color combo. Troy, does this mean your keeping the Hertz or is that still on the selling block?

If he's still selling that car, let me vouch for it.

That is *the* cleanest car I've ever seen. THEE cleanest S197 by far. I don't know what he did to the paint or who painted it but that's the best paint job I've ever seen in my life. And I've seen a TON (custom, factory, etc.).

What a beauty.

Phill

Glad you didn't have any drama getting her home. Unless of course you don't count all the wasted time with the gathering crowds of people every time you had to stop! Have a great time enjoying that beautiful Cobra. I'm going to miss her.

Troy

Late last night with only about 100 miles to go we hit BAD weather. Really glad we put the top up/on. It still got a little rain inside but I wiped it down with a towel the second we got out of the rain/hail.

Story of my life.....

It's still sitting up on the hauler, under blankets and tarps until I get my butt up and unload it.

Phill

Keeping her....Very few realize the value in these very significant cars, let alone the value in having one improved where they need to be improved.

Phill, are you bringing it to the Shelby Museum event on Saturday? I need to take it for a drive! :)

Agreed, you should bring it up. You'll get a good parking place and lots of oooohhhhs and aaaahhhhhs... Get there early though, about 1:00 or so to get on the main lot.

Keeping her....Very few realize the value in these very significant cars, let alone the value in having one improved where they need to be improved.

Glad to hear. Your Hertz is a great example and I know you have the passion plus your dad's book end. Very cool!

Congrats to both of you Phill and Troy. Glad the car went to a great home!

Alex

Hey, thanks Alex. I do appreciate the kind words.

I was originally going to park her in the primary double door garage next to my GT500 but after a little garage clean-up work I'm giving her a dedicated stall and door in the "3rd Car" garage. This way there are no car doors being opened next to it or tool box drawers on the other side. A wall on one side and the back side of a tool bench on the other side so no fear of anything hitting it while parked inside.

Thanks again,

Phill

Glad to hear. Your Hertz is a great example and I know you have the passion plus your dad's book end. Very cool!

Have you seen his GT-H IRL? I'm still just in AWE over it. The paint looked like a mirror, it is THAT smooth/shiny.

Phill

Have you seen his GT-H IRL? I'm still just in AWE over it. The paint looked like a mirror, it is THAT smooth/shiny.

Phill

Phill, not sure what a IRL is but if it's the blog Troy did I have. He did a great job capturing many of the items related to the GT-H.

Phill, are you bringing it to the Shelby Museum event on Saturday? I need to take it for a drive! :)

Well shoot. I didn't know it was this weekend. There is a show down here in The Springs I was planning on taking her to to get a feel for the waters and expose her to some of the "car show crowd" to let them pick it apart and see what I need to do to her to satisfy the overly picky SOB's that typically peruse the shows (I'm sure you know the type).

However, the Shelby Museum is way high on my priority list too so maybe that show will just have to wait.

I have a few items i want to do to the car before showing her too. The Holley's need to be synchronized (I'm SOOOO glad I kept my 4-tube mercury manometer when i retired) and the idle mixture needs to be adjusted but first I need to check the dwell and ignition timing. Primary jets will need to be changed to compensate for this altitude but they're not as high on my list as the idle mixture is (you can smell the richness).

There are a couple of tiny rock chips I want to have repaired (there is a local guy that can fix them so you'll never even know they were there) and the area under the oil cooler scoop that has some driveway rash on it (all of which were detailed to me by Troy prior to sale).

We shall see,

Phill

Phill, not sure what a IRL is but if it's the blog Troy did I have. He did a great job capturing many of the items related to the GT-H.

Ah.

IRL = In Real Life (as, in person).

Phill

Does anyone have more information on this event?

Who/what/where/when/why/etc.

Thanks,

Phill

ERA does offer a quick release steering wheel adapter. However, I'm about 6'3" and it isn't hard getting in and out. If you watch my video you can see how it's done.

I'm sorry to do this but..... it may not be hard getting in the car but I think every time I got out it would be!

What a beautiful ride! Congrats to you both. It's nice to know that it went to a great home.

To Phill, I'll have my BIL be on the look out for you, he lives in Monument and likes to show off his '66 GTO

Archived