TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT 350 Exhaust Rattle and Squeek on Drivers Side

coltzaltana

I am told that this is due to the aftermarket exhaust hanger arm being slightly longer than the hanger arm on the production exhaust. The arm on the drivers side is very close to the rear sheet metal and after the exhaust heats up the arm rubs against the sheet metal creating a chirping sound. It also rattles if a hard bump is hit. The dealers have been cutting about a 1/2" off of the arms (Drivers side only. The exhaust on the passenger side has plenty of clearance. FYI! BTW - I LOVE MY SHELBY even with its chirps....

I am told that this is due to the aftermarket exhaust hanger arm being slightly longer than the hanger arm on the production exhaust. The arm on the drivers side is very close to the rear sheet metal and after the exhaust heats up the arm rubs against the sheet metal creating a chirping sound. It also rattles if a hard bump is hit. The dealers have been cutting about a 1/2" off of the arms (Drivers side only. The exhaust on the passenger side has plenty of clearance. FYI! BTW - I LOVE MY SHELBY even with its chirps....

Welcome Colt...glad you found us.

What year GT350 do you have ?

Thanks for the welcome! She's a 2007...I plan to cut the bracket off this weekend and will post some pictures of the procedure...

You have a Shelby GT.

You threw me for a minute.

I do not have the problem you speak of on my GT500 or my GT/CS.

This problem must only be on the Shelby GT.

.....hmmm, I am not sure when it came to SAI's attention. My car is #187. I just picked it up last Friday from the factory and I noticed the rattle (more of a squeak or chirp) on my way home. When we had the rear up to swap the brakes I looked and saw the marks exactly where I expected to. It may not happen on every car but it happens enough that it has a couple of thread on shelbyautos.com and even a response from SAI.

I haven't noticed it on mine but how early do you mean. My S/N is #384.

Hello Blueshawk,

My serial number is low (less than 200). I would suspect that you have an early enough model to have this same issue.

I threw a piece of cardboard on the garage floor and crawled underneath to check mine out. I cut off about 1/2 inch of hanger arm today. It is tough metal and takes a while to cut (with a dremel)...I took my time and finished in about an hour.

Good luck!

.....hmmm, I am not sure when it came to SAI's attention. My car is #187. I just picked it up last Friday from the factory and I noticed the rattle (more of a squeak or chirp) on my way home. When we had the rear up to swap the brakes I looked and saw the marks exactly where I expected to. It may not happen on every car but it happens enough that it has a couple of thread on shelbyautos.com and even a response from SAI.

While I don't hear the squeek or chirp, that doesn't mean I don't have the problem because I'm hearing impaired. That's why I like my loud SGT. It's the first car I can really hear. So will someone tell me where to look for the marks because I'm planning on changing my oil soon and would like to fix it then.

Thanks

....the problem is the driver side muffler hanger. Look under the back of the car to the rear of the muffler and on top. You will see the bright metal rod that is attached to the muffler. That rod slides into a body mount. On my black car it is black. Follow the shiny metal rod to the rear of the car, you will see it is only a few fractions of an inch from a body part, maybe the backside of the bumper. In my car you can see an a vertical scratch where the rod has made contact with the body.

Mine doesn't make a loud rattle it is more of a low squeek. The problem was supposed to have been fixed. I would think by around #2000. Most people seem to cut the end of the rod off. A few others said they have been able to loosen a clamp or two and move the muffler forward. I am not sure if those guys tail pipes are still even. I'll go ask.

EDIT: I checked with the owner who loosened the clamp and moved the muffler 1/2". He wrote back that the end of the tail pipes still line up.

....the problem is the driver side muffler hanger. Look under the back of the car to the rear of the muffler and on top. You will see the bright metal rod that is attached to the muffler. That rod slides into a body mount. On my black car it is black. Follow the shiny metal rod to the rear of the car, you will see it is only a few fractions of an inch from a body part, maybe the backside of the bumper. In my car you can see an a vertical scratch where the rod has made contact with the body.

Mine doesn't make a loud rattle it is more of a low squeek. The problem was supposed to have been fixed. I would think by around #2000. Most people seem to cut the end of the rod off. A few others said they have been able to loosen a clamp or two and move the muffler forward. I am not sure if those guys tail pipes are still even. I'll go ask.

EDIT: I checked with the owner who loosened the clamp and moved the muffler 1/2". He wrote back that the end of the tail pipes still line up.

Thanks ShelbyPilot. BTW, have you been able to really test drive that GT/SC yet?

Thanks ShelbyPilot. BTW, have you been able to really test drive that GT/SC yet?

No, unfortunately not......I went on "vacation" (visiting family) four days after receiving my car. Two days I had to work. The others I spent getting the wheels and brakes done or packing. I have been away from "Precious" longer than I have had her.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard the squeek in mine but I took a look at the potential problem area and it appears that there is plenty of clearance on my s/n #384. There is probably at least 3/4" from the end of the bracket to the body and no evidence of any rubbing. So I'm thinking it is and installation variable associated with the X-pipes and mufflers and really not a design problem. However, the easy fix is to cut the end of the bracket off like others are doing instead of loosening up all the pipes and adjusting them.

I haven't heard the squeek in mine but I took a look at the potential problem area and it appears that there is plenty of clearance on my s/n #384. There is probably at least 3/4" from the end of the bracket to the body and no evidence of any rubbing. So I'm thinking it is and installation variable associated with the X-pipes and mufflers and really not a design problem. However, the easy fix is to cut the end of the bracket off like others are doing instead of loosening up all the pipes and adjusting them.

That's some good news Hawk. Glad you do not have to grind away - On mine there is a noticeable difference after shortening the bracket - No more rattle over bumps - None atoll - She is tight and fast and quiet -

Archived