TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Replacing Lower Ball Joints At 30,000 Miles

19again

• 3 weeks later...

Just had mine at the Dealer, ball joints shot at 20000 miles. Installing the Ford Racing replacments M-3075-E.

Don't forget either camber caster plates or bolts. May as well fix the tire wear issue as well. Let us know how it goes since the dealer is doing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Ford Performance control arms and after some discussion, decided to use caster camber plates so I bought the Shelby ones. They both arrived. Hopefully I will get them installed in the next couple of weeks with an alignment. Just trying to decide if I should replace the outer tie rod while it's apart.

I opened my control arm box and after comparing to the Ford Performance picture these looks different even though the correct part number. Those that have done this, does my control arm look correct? I do have an email to Ford Performance as well.

By the way, Troy, I did order the MOOG outer tie rod ends.

IMG_3045.JPG

IMG_3046.JPG

M-3075-E_a__98359.1367434238.1280.12801.jpg

Harald,

The lower control arm in the first pic is a 2011-2014 control arm. It will work just fine. It is an improved design. It's nice that it has the accommodations for the heat shields.

OK. Interesting. Says it fits 2005/2010 mustang. That said, once I get the tie end rods I plan to come see you & Jim.

Harald,

The lower control arm in the first pic is a 2011-2014 control arm. It will work just fine. It is an improved design. It's nice that it has the accommodations for the heat shields.

It looks like he got the later version than what the M-3075-E states:

The original equipment on 2007, 2008 and 2009 Shelby GT500s, these Ford Performance Front Lower Control Arms will fit all 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 V6 and GT Mustangs as a direct fit upgrade.

One would assume the balljoints are 19mm on the newer arms?

Just FYI, for others doing this upgrade. If you order they will most likely look like what I got: Prior to Albino's response I had inquired with Ford Performance and they just emailed me back. Ford Performance confirmed the LCA's are correct. See email response below:

Harald:

Those are the correct M-3075-E control arms. There was a slight change in the way they are fabricated. The web-site picture is of the original style fabrication.

They are correct for your 2006.

• 2 weeks later...

The lower control arms Ford Performance M-3075-E, Moog tie rod ends and Shelby caster camber plates are installed. What a difference. The steering is tight and precise. No additional noise using the caster camber plates. Old ball joints were sloppy at 41K. Thanks to Jim & Kevin (Albino500) at Pinnacle Performance Motorsports for the install & alignment.

Harald,

For the larger 19 mm ball joints do the spindles have to be opened (drilled) or replaced with the newer parts? I've seen varying reports that they have to be drilled out or the stockers will work since they are split open on one side and clamp down on the ball joint with the bolt. I did confirm with Ford racing that the 3075-E arms are the newest spec.

Archived