TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Request For A Fellow Gt 500 Guy

thewheelman

I want to say a great big "THANK YOU" for all those who have responded to my request! 2 bits of good news to report this week. 1) John Michael came home from the hospital last week. He's a very determined young man and so far feels like his physical therapist is "babying" him. So he's ready to get on with it. 2) I spoke to his young lady friend today at church and she questioned me about the cards. She said he was thrilled to get them but a little confused as to how all you all came to send them to him. The "GT 500 whatever" you put at the bottom finally registered and he made the connection. Z-man had forwarded me a link to an automatic or hand operated clutch device that would make it possible for him to drive his car again. I asked her if the family had made any mention of that and she said she didn't know, but she had certainly thought of it--because, like us, he got so much pleasure out of driving the beast. I confirmed with her that I would forward the link to his dad so that when he is ready, they can have some info and ideas at hand.

Again, thank you SO MUCH for your response. She said he was awed that that many of you all sent cards!

Sorry for not getting my card out sooner. Really glad he is doing better. I put my card in the out going mail today, should be there in a couple weeks. :salute:

• 4 months later...

Thanks! Yes, he is doing well! Walked into church a couple of weeks ago with just his cane and new leg! Made even a Baptist congregation want to shout! He got to do his first powerlifting session since the accident last week and is really, really doing well.

Thanks for asking! We haven't gone out for a drive yet, but I hope we can soon!

Thanks again!

Thanks! Yes, he is doing well! Walked into church a couple of weeks ago with just his cane and new leg! Made even a Baptist congregation want to shout! He got to do his first powerlifting session since the accident last week and is really, really doing well.

Thanks for asking! We haven't gone out for a drive yet, but I hope we can soon!

Thanks again!

that's great to hear!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

How about an uplifting update? Last Sunday night, the young man this topic is about spoke at our church. Wow! His story is compelling, emotional and incredible. I had never heard the entire story, but it's filled with "wow" moments. Like the 9 year old girl who bravely held his hand after her father had applied his belt as a tournaquet (spelling?) was delivered by his dad (who's an Ob/Gyn). Two of the EMT's that attended him at the site of the accident came to hear him speak--they admitted that they had watched the obits for days afterwards because they knew he wouldn't survive. They didn't realize until last Sunday night he had never seen where they found his leg......I thought it was amputated at the hospital, but it was amputated at the moment of impact....it had been thrown far enough up in a nearby tree that they had to cut the tree down to get his leg! His humor is still intact and refers to the date of the accident as his "ampuversary". The physicians that ministered to him say they are still in shock and disbelief at his recovery. He is walking, exercising and back to doing his strong-man training. He wrapped his presentation to us up with a video of him doing a "farmer walk" in which he is carrying 85 lbs. weights in EACH hand and walking something like 60 feet--with his artificial leg! He's an incredible young man and I feel honored to call him my friend!

Thought you guys might like an update......and again, I thank you for sending him your cards of encouragement!

How about an uplifting update? Last Sunday night, the young man this topic is about spoke at our church. Wow! His story is compelling, emotional and incredible. I had never heard the entire story, but it's filled with "wow" moments. Like the 9 year old girl who bravely held his hand after her father had applied his belt as a tournaquet (spelling?) was delivered by his dad (who's an Ob/Gyn). Two of the EMT's that attended him at the site of the accident came to hear him speak--they admitted that they had watched the obits for days afterwards because they knew he wouldn't survive. They didn't realize until last Sunday night he had never seen where they found his leg......I thought it was amputated at the hospital, but it was amputated at the moment of impact....it had been thrown far enough up in a nearby tree that they had to cut the tree down to get his leg! His humor is still intact and refers to the date of the accident as his "ampuversary". The physicians that ministered to him say they are still in shock and disbelief at his recovery. He is walking, exercising and back to doing his strong-man training. He wrapped his presentation to us up with a video of him doing a "farmer walk" in which he is carrying 85 lbs. weights in EACH hand and walking something like 60 feet--with his artificial leg! He's an incredible young man and I feel honored to call him my friend!

Thought you guys might like an update......and again, I thank you for sending him your cards of encouragement!

Wheelman,

This is an incredible story of courage. I did not see the original thread, but saw it this go round. So many of today's young people are so clueless. They all need to meet this young man and draw from his inner strength.....

Thanks for the update which gave me a chance to read the thread.

Mike

Archived