TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Keep 2008 or sell and get 2013?

texaggie

Sell or keep?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Should I sell my 2008 GT500 and buy a 2013 GT500?

• Keep the 2008
    • Sell the 2008 and buy the 2013

You only live once, I would go for the 2013, to me it is better in every way. I do not know your financial situation, but I am assuming if you could afford the 08 the 13 would not strap you either. Both have to much power for the street, I would do it for the interior and features. Besides maybe wheels there is no need to mod the 2013 unless you track.

Good luck!!!!!

Am i the only one that WOULDN'T. Buy the '13 because of the interior features? Maybe I'm old school but i don't want a car that's real high tech. Give me bare bones and raw power. I don't need to be able to set 4 different climate zones while ajusting my lighting colors and warming my coffee while driving. My dad recently purchased a new 427 vette. He calls me bragging about all the "stuff" it can do. I told him it sounded like he paid too much for an ipad.

I would keep the 08. I agree with many on this one. I may be old school too, owning a 65, but in my opinion, the new fancy gadgets work great, when they are working. Besides, for road racing, you do not need a lot of power. Improve the handling. If you really want more power, why buy a 13 when you can have the same, if not, more power than a 13 by modding what you have. See, I often play that mind game. I could easily sell the 65 and get a newer Shelby, but then I realize I can always mod the 65 to handle and have power like the new ones. My own thought is that I will not ever replace my car, but I would love to add another to the stable!

It is much easier to find debt these days than be debt free. The added benefits of the newer car will not come anywhere close to the comfort of not having a car note to pay every month. I paid cash for my car 4 1/2 years ago and sleep very well at night. Last thing you want is buyers remorse a month after you get the 13 and wish you had not gone that route. I keep reading all these posts about the 13 car being so much better, but remember that is opinion from those who purchased and subjective. Although it is a more powerful car... frankly most people cant truly handle the power of your 08. Unless you are on a track or closed course, you'll never be able to unleash the 13 to its full potential and even then it takes a skilled driver with tons of experience to pull that off. Enjoy what you have and I would encourage you to improve the car step by step. As I stated before, you can easily boost the power of your car above the 13 if that is what you are looking for. Personally, I take the money I'm not spending in interest payments and add Shelby Performance Parts to my car one at a time and enjoy each upgrade. My car now handles like it is on rails and when compared to the new 13 I drove recently, I'd rather have less HP and a great handling car.

BTW - For all the 13-14 owners: Don't get bent out of shape by my comments. If money were no issue, I would have one in my stable as well... but it would be way down on the list. I already have a Shelby and happy with what I have. 1st car on the list would be an 06 Ford GT! :worship:

Well put Vipor :salute: The Ford GT is also on my list.................just wish my bank account would agree.

The college part always comes before the fun part. If paying for college was a factor in this, then there would be no discussion.

That being said, I do feel the same as most of you. No debt is hard to pass up. That is the only real part that is holding me back.

All great advise here which hopefully helps but at the end of the day you gotta go with your gut.

If you're leaning towards the 13, go with it and don't look back. If it's the 08, stay put and enjoy.

Congrats with the birth of your Daughter :wub: For me, that's the good stuff in life.

Every year from 07 on Ford has done upgrades to the gt 500 and that is all good. Being from the 50s the 07 has plenty of juice for me. Also I think people sometimes forget the cost of insurance. My car is not a daily driver and is not old enough to qualify for classic car insurance. My 07 outruns anything I ever owned from the 60s and is a much better ride than any car from the early years. I see plenty of taillights at the track. However not many drive to the track and home with the air on. As a driver it is a joy and can lug down or juice up whenever I want. It can be a town car or a race car. Hard for me to justify a new gt 500. If I had this car when I was in my teens or 20s I often wonder If I would be in big trouble on the street. Got into enough trouble running a Ford flathead.

Well, sound financial advice aside, I had a 2008, loved it, now I have a 14 and a car note. I don't regret it a single second of the day.

The 13-14 is Ford's answer to all of our mods- better everything. Then for another 1500.00, you can add another 100HP with Revan Racing's 13-6 kit.

That's pretty bad ass.

It's also the CS swan song. His last car he had real input on, and the most powerful production car built in the US, most powerful V8 production car in the world. That title doesn't belong to a Vette, a viper, or any other euro build. It belongs to Ford, SVT and Shelby!

That's REALLY bad ass.

My opinion aside, you can't go wrong. Either way, you win! Good luck!

Well, sound financial advice aside, I had a 2008, loved it, now I have a 14 and a car note. I don't regret it a single second of the day.

The 13-14 is Ford's answer to all of our mods- better everything. Then for another 1500.00, you can add another 100HP with Revan Racing's 13-6 kit.

That's pretty bad ass.

It's also the CS swan song. His last car he had real input on, and the most powerful production car built in the US, most powerful V8 production car in the world. That title doesn't belong to a Vette, a viper, or any other euro build. It belongs to Ford, SVT and Shelby!

That's REALLY bad ass.

My opinion aside, you can't go wrong. Either way, you win! Good luck!

^^ This in a nutshell is why a 13/14 is worth every penny...

Keep the 08. I had a 2007 hertz and a 2008 sgt-C,(which I purchased new and lost on the deal when sold) I also regret selling them both, but needed the money for kids college since they were paid off. I also wanted a New Boss, but they wanted lots of money. The funny part is that after I sold the 07, two months later my financial situation changed dramatically and even tried purchasing my old 2008, but that car is in New Zealand and the owner never replied. I purchased a used 12 boss, way less than when new. I would say get the 13 in a year or so after you payoff the 08, by then you will still find the color you want and the savings on a slight used 13 with low miles will be worth it. Your daughter can still get the 13 and she won't care if it was new when you got it for her or not.

P.S.......somehow, I will get my 08 back in the future

There is just this to add: engineering, materials, assembly techniques, lubricants and systems change incrementally every year, and almost always for the better. Sooner or later, even under careful use conditions, the 2008-status stuff will wear, decline, fail, beyond the normal maintenance-alleviated items. A 2013-14 car is better by five-six years, in this regard, even if it were the same model with the same features. Fifty-one thousand miles is right on the cusp of a replace-overhaul series of episodes.

Of course in normal use you'll be up against the same thing again, in another five-six years.

Question remains: what do you love about your vehicles? If you never get near the edge of the envelope, performance-wise, and caché is a major factor, you might find a less expensive, equally attractive decoration for your lifestyle or self-image.

Much as I love cars and what we can do with them, i am a firm believer in this: The best car is no car at all. We'd all be better off now and in the future if we didn't need them. No hope, though: we're stuck in a twenty-first-century car culture. Mmm-mmm.

Decisions, decisions!

Frank, your one of the biggest car guys I know. It shocks me to read the best car is no car at all theory. Lol

Too much time in Cali for you buddy- we need to get you an injection of Terlingua, STAT! Lmao

• 2 weeks later...

I would keep the 08. It has the classic look to it and the best looking rear end! Plus you can make it faster than the newer ones if you really wanted. If the interior is not to your liking, you can always have it upgraded thru Shelby and Gary Disney. It looks fantastic, plush and bigger bolsters to hold you in place on the corners and you can choose your thread colors and embroidery designs for the head rests and console covers.

Congratulations on your daughter. That would explain why we haven't seen you around in a while :-)

Thanks on the congrats. I already have the Shelby/ Gary Disney interior. (really like it too).

As for not getting out to see all of my Houston Shelby family lately, I have been missing getting together, but between my daughter, the business, and training for the last two Ironman Texas events, free time has been nearly nonexistent. One day soon I will make it out to visit with everyone though.

Thanks again to everyone for all the opinions. There are some things I agree with and some I am not so worried about. For instance, having to have a note vs paying cash, with the rates that are out now, I would never pay cash for a big ticket item. The money is better served staying with me and making more on investment than what I would save in interest payments. That being said, no payments are better than low payments (keeping the car without buying a 13 in the future). Used 13s are out, but the sellers are still nuts trying to sell them for as much as new, and some times more. I think a low mileage 13 at the right price with the right price in trade or sell on the 08 might be the way to go.

Still on the fence.

More thoughts on this as I have considered it myself. IMO for less money I can pick and choose which upgrades I like best about the newer models and incorporate them little by little over time and not even miss the money doing it. (Check out some of the retrofits Tob over on the SVT performance site has done to his ride). You already have more power than you can use in a street car so concentrating on cosmetics and handling could take center stage.

Lastly, (and this may be a bad idea) do what I did and take a new one for a test drive. Once I realized that aside from a little stronger new car smell the new one really wasn't that different than what I already had I knew it was a steep price to pay just to get the latest and greatest.

Chip

Family should come first and if it adds stress to your family or relationship with your wife then keep the 2008. I just bought a 2014, paid well below sticker and financed a portion at 1.8%. I owned an 2008 and the 13' and 14' are better cars imho. If it doesn't effect life at home and money is not a problem I'd by the new car but drive it first and make sure you prefer it and the looks of it. I really like the 2014 I just bought and intend to drive and enjoy it.

SVT

Family should come first and if it adds stress to your family or relationship with your wife then keep the 2008. I just bought a 2014, paid well below sticker and financed a portion at 1.8%. I owned an 2008 and the 13' and 14' are better cars imho. If it doesn't effect life at home and money is not a problem I'd by the new car but drive it first and make sure you prefer it and the looks of it. I really like the 2014 I just bought and intend to drive and enjoy it.SVT

I agree family comes first. Either choice would not affect the family. Honestly, if I keep the '08, I will probably just turn around and buy another car or truck once it is paid off.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, a decision has been made. I did what I usually do and buck the system. I went in on a used 2013. Traded the 2008. Got a great deal. The 13 has everything except the glass roof, which I didn't want. I will have a longer car note, but at $100.00 less per month, I can pay into it and pay it off relatively quickly. I thought I would miss the 08 more, and felt a little remorse going in to trade it, but once I got behind the wheel of the 13, I was more than happy about my decision. Pictures to come soon.

PS Went Deep Impact Blue with White stripes instead of the candy red.

I agree family comes first. Either choice would not affect the family. Honestly, if I keep the '08, I will probably just turn around and buy another car or truck once it is paid off.

Very cool, congrats on the new Shelby.....................looking forward to seeing some pics.

Congradulations and I'm happy to hear that you're satisfied about your purchase! I've already seen and evaluated a prototype 2015 mustang and the looks are to "euro"esque and not enough american muscle imo. Given that, I may be considering trading in my 2010 for a 2014 when dealerships try to unload them. I'm slightly jealous that you've had 51k miles of enjoyment!!!! I think that's a benchmark many owners have yet to experience with their toys

Well, a decision has been made. I did what I usually do and buck the system. I went in on a used 2013. Traded the 2008. Got a great deal. The 13 has everything except the glass roof, which I didn't want. I will have a longer car note, but at $100.00 less per month, I can pay into it and pay it off relatively quickly. I thought I would miss the 08 more, and felt a little remorse going in to trade it, but once I got behind the wheel of the 13, I was more than happy about my decision. Pictures to come soon.

PS Went Deep Impact Blue with White stripes instead of the candy red.

Glad it worked out for you, great compromise!

Archived