TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need a New Exhaust - Opinions?

Hello, all!

I have the Ford Racing M-5230-GTA exhaust on my car (it was one of my first mods back in '08), and I LOVE the sound. Just a little louder than stock, bit of a deeper burble at idle, and a nice roar at WOT. Love the look of the rolled tips, too.

Noticed the other day that the driver's side muffler is cracking at the weld holding the rear bracket, so one side is now hanging a bit lower than the other, and it's only a matter of time before I resort to the coat-hanger approach!

Sadly, Ford appears to have discontinued the GTA mufflers. So...I appear to have three choices:

1. Reinstall the stock mufflers. (Cheapest, but most boring.)

2. M-5230-GTB (I've heard these are "close" to the GTA sound.)

3. M-5230-SVT1 (No experience with these, regarding sound or look.)

5. M-5230-S (with H-pipe to follow) (The KR exhaust. Tips aren't as pretty, and not sure about the sound.)

I want to stay with Ford parts. So, any suggestions?

Do a search on YouTube for all those on the gt500 and you should be able to hear most to help with your decision. I just installed the M-5230-S tonight and took it for a drive. I am very happy with the sound. Hoping a buddy can come by this week so he can do a drive by as I'd really like to hear them from the outside.

If you message me your email addy I can take a video clip of the 5230-S from my phone and send it to you. I currently have it set up on the stock exhaust, i.e. the x pipe, though I too will get around to putting in the h pipe at some point.

I've probably spent upwards of $3,000 on exhaust mods trying to get the sound I want - using only Ford or FRPP mufflers. So, I have done all the research you need. Here's my advice, assuming all other exhaust components are stock:

• M-5230-S (KR/FR500) - Straight-thru. Agressive sound. Fantastic with or without an h-pipe. No drone.
  • M-5230-GTA (Shelby GT) - Chambered. Aggressive sound, cheap construction (mine developed rattle). No drone.
  • M-5230-GTB (Bullit Edition) - Chambered. Mild sound, no drone. Same tips as 5230-S.
  • 2007 OEM (Same as Mustang GT) - Chambered. Very quiet. Boring sound, no drone.
  • 2010 OEM (SVT/Shelby GT500) - Chambered. Agressive sound, protruding tips due to 2010 valence design.
  • M-5230-5GT/SGT - Straight-thru. Aggressive sound (both sound same to me), nice tips, drone like hell around 1,800 RPM.
  • Shelby/Borla Touring (M-5230-SVT1) - Straight-thru/oval shaped. Moderate sound, nice tips, mild drone around 1,800 RPM.

I still have these for sale... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151413611447294.1073741824.595707293&type=1&l=f7de014bc5

Originally, I was very satisfied with the KR mufflers and my stock exhaust. It wasn't until I installed hi-flow cats that they sounded awful. That changed everything, which caused me to do all of this research ON MY OWN CAR. Forget youtube...there is no consistent calibration between sound files (recording device, recording conditions, file compression, playback speakers, etcetera). You'll drive yourself crazy trying to make an informed decision from youtube. After all the testing I performed above, I ended up welding in a set of Dynomax race mufflers/resonators right after the x-pipe w/hi-flow cats and putting the KRs back on and...FINALLY, WOW! Moderate to aggressive on the throttle, deep at idle, mild during cruise, no drone ever, and nice burble on decel. Case closed. If you absolutely can't stand the KR tips, my best recommendation would be 2010 GT500 OEMs (wilder) or the FRPP M-5230-SVT1 (milder).

Thanks for all the advice above! In the end, the extra cost of the SVT1 was more of a drawback than the tip looks of the S, so I placed my order for the M-5230-S hopefully for delivery this week! I may try an H-pipe down the road, but I'll see how they sound with the stock X-pipe first.

Just had the KR exhaust installed by my Ford dealer.

Oh. My. GOD.

At idle, and normal cruising speeds, virtually indistinguishable from the GTAs. ZERO drone at 60mph in sixth.

But get on the throttle?

It unleashes a horde of rip-snorting, thundering wild beasts! INCREDIBLE!

Now I need my H-pipe! :happy feet:

Awesome aren't they! I was grins from ear to ear when I took the car out for a drive right after installing them. My buddy said they sounded great as I left his house last weekend too. I have to get him to drive the car so I can hear it from the outside now.

Archived