TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why was the GT350 designation not used?

Wayne  Grey

I really loved my car but I really think the fact that these cars are registered just as a mustang GT it is really going to hurt the value of these cars in the long run. I just sold my car and took a real loss due to all the dealers pulling the car up as a mustang GT and not a Shelby GT. they really should have put Shelby GT on the title somewhere like the gt500. Even if you insure the car they just look at it as a mustang GT so if you wreck it unless you have Hagerty you will just get the loss of a mustang GT. I will buy another one again and I will always be a Shelby fan.

I understand. The same thing goes for me with my tribute. At least your car is a Shelby, where as mine can never be one. But you know what, I own the car not because of its dollar worth, but instead, I live every day enjoying being behind the wheel. To me, that is priceless and overshadows what it would be like to own a real '65 Shelby.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice video! I enjoy passing both. But I see your signature says you may not be stock :)

Haha well I gotta throw that one up there every now and then. Actually the car only had cams/headers at the time and pushing a measly 330 rwhp.

:backtotopic: Like everyone else, i'm waiting for the 'official' answer. I think it is one of those many pieces of history/nostalgia about our cars that makes them what they are.

One thing no one has factored in yet; the GT-H came first. I watched a video of the unveiling of the Shelby GT in which they stated that "Thanks to the customers, we were inspired to make a retail version" (paraphrase). So the truth really lies in the GT-H vs the old GT350-H. Not getting anywhere yet, but I think our answer might actually lie there.

Just to bump this in one last hope for the real answer to be posted - I watched the "King of the Road" special on tv a couple of days ago, and again this morning I watched a bit. There was no distinct answer on why the car is named what it is.

The only thing mentioned was the GT-H was made with no plans for a Shelby GT until all of the dealers kept contacting Ford about customers' interest in the GT-H at a retail level. So, why was GT-H used?

I think SA was waiting for the 5.0 V-8 to come out instead of using the 4.6. But I do think the SGT really is closes to the 1966 Shelby GT-350. Look at the connection between the GT-350-H and the 40th anniversary GT-H. OK I am bias.

Here you go! Best answer unless Steve is ready to share!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I too am waiting with rapt anticipation for the answer. It is an interesting thread, and shows how cars are like kids, yours are always the best. There was one of those infamous '84 GT350s at a car show I attended yesterday, here is a picture of it. One participant mentioned to my friend and I that there were 3 GT350s at the show, my friend's '65 carryover car, my 2013, and this '84 one. My friend and I looked at each other and said, no there are only 2 real GT350s here..... :hysterical:

post-39072-0-92665300-1372015156_thumb.jpg

post-39072-0-92665300-1372015156_thumb.jpg

Robert, Nothing against you, but - I thought we all own Shelbys because of the love of the car, the man, the performance or the legacy. I also assumed this site was for the disemination of news, facts, help and the comradery - facts and help being the optimum words here. So yes - when people IN THE KNOW seemingly refuse to pass on info or fact or help others - it does appear a little funny to me. "I know something and you don't Na Na NA". We've been down this road before - I doubt very much that Carroll wouldn't have talked about his cars and history - why is this a secret - it's not like this is a new thing that hasn't been unvailed yet - it is Shelby History!!!! Am I the only one that is frustrated that facts can't be told?

Robert, if you know or generally know, what harm will come if you share your understanding of the reason?

Apparently Steve knows too, but refuses to tell the "story". According to Steve "One day, the parties will come forward and "tell the story" - it will be a good read." - I take this as maybe there was some form of vow of silence / non-disclosure agreement with those in the know until the book comes out now that Carroll has passed away. Just my .02.

Robert to quote you - "The Shelby GT mark has always been interesting to me and I spoke in length about the hows/why this was done and it's an amazing story." So apparently you do know "THE STORY". What are we going to do - let a part of history die with everyone that knows it? Come on this is getting childish "I Got Some Ice Cream - You Ain't Got No Ice Cream". You also indicated that some of the "people in the know" do still work somewhere in the organization. It is easier to keep stories straight when you always tell the truth - from my years in law enforcement - just saying. I would think people would be proud of Shelby History and be willing to answer questions - there aren't any skeletons in the closet that need to be hid.

Robert - not to beat a dead horse but your quote was "The Shelby GT mark has always been interesting to me and I spoke in length about the hows/why this was done and it's an amazing story." How else would you know it's an amazing story and a story that you spoke at length about this subject that you were so interested in. Come on Robert you are not making sense here - read your own quote.

I once asked a WWWII senior German official as to why the Messerschmidt ME-262 changed roles between offense/defense. He told me that he didn't know the details behind the decision. I replied to what I read in history books. . . . .and he replied that he didn't remember any historians, by name being at any conference.

When the story gets told, let's let the story makers tell it. I wasn't there.

I'm taking my boots off because it's getting deep. this site is amazing! Wouldn't let anyone send a card to Carroll when he was in the Hospital - actually had to find that out on other sires that he was in a hospital - now a Shelby moniker has to be a guarded secret - I give up! As I said before EVERY other car site I belong to (MOPAR and Ford and for awhile Corvette) are all very happy to diseminate information. This will probably be my last year with Team Shelby - It's NOT a team.

Archived