TEAM SHELBY FORUM

OMG!!! What a massive difference in Shifter.....

gotoatz

Ok i went to my car and toke some picture for you guys, so you can see how i installed the shifter handle and how it looks.

122lxfk.jpg

dw52r9.jpg

I tried after to remove the shifter handle completely and tried to move the shifter itself or what i calls to side-wise. AND it still creaks. I really don't know can this can happen. I never heared this creeak/rattle when the original shifter handle was installed. Maybe because of too much rubber it had?

One thing is clear here that the creak/rattle does not come from the shifter handle. Because i removed it and it still creaks.

Please watch my two new videos that i upload and see how it sounds. Can it be some bolts under the car that is lose?? Or what do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i84IjC5QwI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibrYknaJUA

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canson,

Well, I think you are correct in that it is not the shift handle, as you can hear the creaking with the handle off. I think the noise has probably been there all along, but with the factory rubber shifter condom in place, it dampened the noise and you could not hear it.

I have not had the inside dust boot off my shifter, as you do in your second video, but I gotta ask.....Is that a bolt that is missing on the lower left side, right below your thumb???

Mike

Canson,

Well, I think you are correct in that it is not the shift handle, as you can hear the creaking with the handle off. I think the noise has probably been there all along, but with the factory rubber shifter condom in place, it dampened the noise and you could not hear it.

I have not had the inside dust boot off my shifter, as you do in your second video, but I gotta ask.....Is that a bolt that is missing on the lower left side, right below your thumb???

Mike

Mike, the noise must have been there all the time, as you said i just couldn't hear it because of all the rubbery shifter condom. it must have dampened the noise really well.

About the bolt on the lower left side you asked about, i have not removed any bolts there. i think it looks like that and no bolts are missing.

The best thing would have been if someone had time to remove the shifter handle and move the shifter itself side-wise like i do on my video.

I wanna know if others have same problem or if its only me.

Hey guys. I bought the complete Barton shifter when I attended the 50th in Vegas(show special) and installed it last weekend. This thing worked as expected, with much improvement over the stock arm.

I have the Hurst shifter arm with bolts, sickspeed adaptor(Black), capture nut and thread adaptor for aftermarket knob(mine was a speeddawg). Let me know if anyone is interested? this is about ~$75.00 US + shipping. I'm looking for around $50 US plus shipping. This is complete(except the shifter knob), and you can bolt it up. This will be shipping from Canada

Thanks,

Lance

• 4 weeks later...

So I had my Barton shifter installed today, so far I really like the feel but it is noisy! More noticeable in 1-3 gears, I guess this is normal? I am waiting to get my new knob from Speeddawg, so I had the stock ball put back on, but not super tight so I can get it off when the new one gets here. I am thinking that may be part of it? Otherwise I am very happy with the Barton - I'll just turn up the music.

There's not a specific noise, just overall slight increase in motor/trans sound. No vibrations, nothing that sounds loose- shifter feels great, really solid. This may just be how it is and I'm overly concerned!

• 1 month later...

For those interested in going to the next level with the stock shifter -

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1020174-Inexpensive-Alternative-to-an-Aftermarket-Short-Throw-Shifter

Just completed this mod over the weekend and it was challenging, but workable in the garage on jack stands. Brings the 'feel' of the shifter to a whole new level. Very tight and precise with zero slop.

• 3 weeks later...

I was so excited to hear about the improvement with an after market shifter I couldn't wait for one to be shipped to me so I re moved the rubber mounting and hard mounted the stock shifter.

I made new solid bushings with parts I found at my local hardware store. It took a couple trips to get the right fit I wanted, but it was well worth the effort. I wish I had taken pics to post. Just measure the diameter of the holes in the shift lever and take the bolt so you know that size and start digging around and with a little work you can make a nice clean attachment. I can't believe the improvement. It reminds me of my first car that had a Hurst shifter back in the day. Cost about $10 with new shorter bolts.

• 2 months later...

I had the first generation MGW in my car until today, when I got the 2nd generation MGW installed. There is a huge difference between the 1st and 2nd generation shifters. The new one definitely is an upgrade in components. It is more stoutly built and does away with any of the factory components.

It does shift differently too. 2nd to 3rd is very smooth. Shifter is still stiff, but they say it will loosen up with some driving. So far I like it, and seems to be an improvement over the 1st generation.

• 3 weeks later...

Well guess here is a winter project for me. MGW G2 shifter... Watched some you tube videos on these and they look VERY solid and will hope Santa will ask what I want for Christmas...

I had the first generation MGW in my car until today, when I got the 2nd generation MGW installed. There is a huge difference between the 1st and 2nd generation shifters. The new one definitely is an upgrade in components. It is more stoutly built and does away with any of the factory components.

It does shift differently too. 2nd to 3rd is very smooth. Shifter is still stiff, but they say it will loosen up with some driving. So far I like it, and seems to be an improvement over the 1st generation.

I just installed the 2nd gen MGW this past weekend. I love it, components are really nice quality and the shifts are so much smoother than stock. Not to mention that the vague feeling I got from the stock shifter is gone. Definitely my favorite (and first) modification so far :shift:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived