TEAM SHELBY FORUM

OMG!!! What a massive difference in Shifter.....

gotoatz

Looks great. Where did you get the FRPP shifter handle and does it come with a new grommet for the boot or did you get a grommet from elsewhere? I would like to do this to my '08 also before going the entire shifter route. Was it a noticeable upgrade for your car?

I picked up the shifter handle used in the classified section, it comes with the grommet and works with the stock boot. It also came with the FRPP shifter ball but I liked the Shelby ball better and also was able to get it from the for sale section - someone purchased 2 and had an extra one. It you look around, you can find some deals, got mine for less than 1/2 price used (just like new).

You will notice the difference, looks much better than stock and shifts are tighter.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cdvison;

Did you swap these gromets out too?

On your link, they don't list the 2014 MY, Are they all the same after 2010?

Thanks

I didn't bother doing it on mine. I like the way the shifter feels. I haven't missed second gear even once this year!! Should work on a 2013/14. But I believe they have a firmer bushing as is.

It sure makes a difference getting rid of the rubber bushings, definitely worth a try.

I ran the Shelby ball for about 3 weeks, but eventually swapped it out for the Ford Racing ball/arm.

I prefer the smaller diameter ball of the Ford Racing unit, it gives me a more positive grip.

Either ball is better than the oem knob though, I had my hand slip off of it a few times at the strip on hot days.

I also picked up the poly bushings, and will be installing them over the winter.

They were only about $15 including shipping.

Shelby Knob.jpg

Ford Racing Knob.jpg

Shelby Knob.jpg

Ford Racing Knob.jpg

Which shift boot retainer should I be buying for the Hurst shifter handle? The OP said he had to drill his out. There are two available on the Shelby store, one for the 2007-09 cars and one for the later cars. The 2007-09 one has 12mm x 1.25 thread inserts. The Hurst shifter handle has the same threads. Is there something I'm missing or should I go ahead and purchase this one? My car is a 2012, and I'll be using a Shelby shift ball.

Thanks

Colin

Which shift boot retainer should I be buying for the Hurst shifter handle? The OP said he had to drill his out. There are two available on the Shelby store, one for the 2007-09 cars and one for the later cars. The 2007-09 one has 12mm x 1.25 thread inserts. The Hurst shifter handle has the same threads. Is there something I'm missing or should I go ahead and purchase this one? My car is a 2012, and I'll be using a Shelby shift ball.

Thanks

Colin

Colin,

If I understand your question correctly, the reason the 2007 to 2009 retainer would not work, is not the thread issue, but the boot issue. While the threads would work, the base of the 2007 to 2009 retainer is too big around for the stock 2011, (and I suspect the 2012) shift boot to fit over. That is why I used the other retainer, and had to drill it out. It is meant for a 10 x 1.25 (stock) threaded shift handle, and as you noted, you are about to install a 12 x 1.25 handle......

Hope this makes sense.

Mike

great stuff this is my next upgrade, been looking at barton shifters any thoughts?

Honestly, if it was me, I would try this upgrade from the thread before investing in a new shifter. After changing mine, there is no need for a shorter throw, IMHO......

Mike

Colin,

If I understand your question correctly, the reason the 2007 to 2009 retainer would not work, is not the thread issue, but the boot issue. While the threads would work, the base of the 2007 to 2009 retainer is too big around for the stock 2011, (and I suspect the 2012) shift boot to fit over. That is why I used the other retainer, and had to drill it out. It is meant for a 10 x 1.25 (stock) threaded shift handle, and as you noted, you are about to install a 12 x 1.25 handle......

Hope this makes sense.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I bought the handle off of eBay and I'll buy the later shift boot retainer as you suggested. Thanks for a great thread.

Colin

Just picked up this Bowler shifter and ball more pics to come

Sweet. Where did you get it?

I've wanted one like that ever since I first saw one in a NASCAR Cup car.

Phill

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased and installed the Chrome Hurst Shifter from Core Shifters on EBay. I had him include the plain white knob with my order. Only issue that anyone has forgot to mention was that then original boot retainer on my 2012 Alcantra boot is glued into the inside of the boot. it is plastic, so I was able to break it and then use the included plastic boot retainer that came with the Hurst shifter handle. My girlfriend stitched the boot tightly around the boot retainer so that it looks perfectly stock. I love the feel of the new shifter much better than the stock, and the whole thing was less than $75.00...great mod.

• 2 weeks later...

yeh youll love it , i did have to use the existing bolts from the stock shifter no big deal and i did have to take the round plastic piece out of the shift boot too. all in all it looks bad ass get one let me know

Was there much of a gap around the shift after removing the plastic piece out of the boot?

I purchased and installed the Chrome Hurst Shifter from Core Shifters on EBay. I had him include the plain white knob with my order. Only issue that anyone has forgot to mention was that then original boot retainer on my 2012 Alcantra boot is glued into the inside of the boot. it is plastic, so I was able to break it and then use the included plastic boot retainer that came with the Hurst shifter handle. My girlfriend stitched the boot tightly around the boot retainer so that it looks perfectly stock. I love the feel of the new shifter much better than the stock, and the whole thing was less than $75.00...great mod.

It was talked about. Some of us purchased a "roush" leather shift boot, which fits the new chrome shift handle perfectly...

• 1 month later...

Hey guys been reading this post for couple days now and decided to take a different approach. I found washers that will squeeze into the holes on stock shifter and bolted it back up. Works awesome and saved me a bunch of money.

Just thought I would share.

If anyone is interested I will be making a kit that utilizes our stock shifter with the solid mount. It will consist of 2 aluminum bushings 2 new bolts and washers. Will take about 15 minutes from start to finish to complete the modification.

Let me know if anyone is interested in doing the same.

If anyone is interested I will be making a kit that utilizes our stock shifter with the solid mount. It will consist of 2 aluminum bushings 2 new bolts and washers. Will take about 15 minutes from start to finish to complete the modification.

Let me know if anyone is interested in doing the same.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a Hurst Lever and Knob. but I might be interested in this approach as it will look stock.

With the Hurst I think I would need to buy a new Boot which I am not crazy about doing.

What kind of cost are you thinking and how long until available?

How much better does it feel compared to stock?

20140221_163907_zps9tgwybzu.jpg

I just did mine to. I love the look and it does feel so much better. Just as stated before, the rubber on the stock shifter really did suck when compared to the new hurst stick. The car shifts so much better. Thank you for sharing because without this post I would have spent a lot of money in a new shifter and install. Only took 15 minutes in install and I recommend everyone to do this.

I just did mine to. I love the look and it does feel so much better. Just as stated before, the rubber on the stock shifter really did suck when compared to the new hurst stick. The car shifts so much better. Thank you for sharing because without this post I would have spent a lot of money in a new shifter and install. Only took 15 minutes in install and I recommend everyone to do this.

Glad it worked out for you. Looks great, and what a difference in feel.......

Congrats.

Love the color choice!

Using my Snake as a daily driver, this is my favorite mod and one of the lowest cost projects I've done. And after changing to RP Synchromax trans fluid, it was a whole experience shifting through the gears.

Lots of complements on the 'look' too.

Archived