TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Oil Separator NOW IN STOCK!

Jer

Two threads about this. I became interested in this and am looking at what everyone's saying. What seems to be the thing that's being overlooked, the reason that the bias'ed (maybe faked?) video proves crap, is that the Shelby mechanism is different. The alkyl gases being recaptured is obviously linked to the retention rate right? So, your saying that the more its bottled up and stuck, the more it can be recaptured. New flash, this is wrong!

The Shelby mechanism seems to encourage pulling through faster because, if noone mentioned it, a few hundred degrees C are in between the boiling point of water and petroleum mixtures ie oil. So, retaining this is going to purposely full-fill recapturing the fumes and keeping it going just fine. Or is it possible that the heat will just build up rather than getting the water out and allow the oil to denature and bond with free floating polar water molecules, rather then let the air out and keep the oil in check which their densities will allow them to do. I was not biased into thinking Shelby could never have copied this design, I was worried that they might have. I look, search, and apply years of chemistry. No, the Shelby one was not outperformed (i didn't say it beat the other two). I am saying, how is denaturing trapped oil possibly going to work?

Testing this wouldn't be possible without long term use, precise environmental conditions, and a gas chromatograph so good luck on that. But claiming the Shelby product doesn't work is an outright uneducated lie.

Sorry to fuel the fire on this thread but now that I've had time to analyze this, I'm sick of hearing "you copied us yours doesn't work" ignorant, uneducated, wrong.

...gosh, a year old and I am still offended by this utter nonsense. These systems are removing entrained oil from a moving vapor stream that has been cooled a bit. Thus the use of mesh etc. Lots of ways to do this. The buyer just has to decide what they want it to look like.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't you figure out a long time ago that no one gives a rats a**?

P.S. You only need one. The other one is there to look pretty.

hey brother...I think we missed the battle on this one....pretty old. But I did try to give the guy an honest answer

hey brother...I think we missed the battle on this one....pretty old. But I did try to give the guy an honest answer

I know, but there is a pretty heavy analysis on these in other places. Google search can be your friend. Two things come out:

First you have to understand the design of the ford engines. There are two PCV valves (that is where the collector is inserted). Which is which is engine dependent so saying passenger or driver side doesn't work. You have an Intake and output. The intake comes from the are breather (it comes from the air filter to the engine). The other one comes from the engine to the intake of the supercharger. Call the intake and output.

If you put a oil collector on the intake it will hardly ever collect anything. That's because air flows from the filter to the engine. If you collect any major oil there you've got bigger problems than a collector will fix. That's because air flows INTO the engine.

On the other side, there are some situations that it does help. Mostly high RPM tracking the car. The oil blows by the PCV and is pulled into the intercooler fins. Some think this is bad...

So on my Shelby GT with the Kenne Bell that included the collector I did some pretty spirited drives. Over the period of almost a year, it only collected about a teaspoon in the collector. Come on, that is what the intercooler fins and intake can tolerate.

On the Ford GT I had to pull the supercahrger because the bearings died. This car has about 1.5x what a SGT will do. I had a little oil around the gasket and no visible signs on the intercooler fins.

So I will reiterate: If an oil collector was essential it would have been on the car to begin with.

Sorry. But that is the truth.

On the other hand, bling is pretty :)

I know, but there is a pretty heavy analysis on these in other places. Google search can be your friend. Two things come out:

First you have to understand the design of the ford engines. There are two PCV valves (that is where the collector is inserted). Which is which is engine dependent so saying passenger or driver side doesn't work. You have an Intake and output. The intake comes from the are breather (it comes from the air filter to the engine). The other one comes from the engine to the intake of the supercharger. Call the intake and output.

If you put a oil collector on the intake it will hardly ever collect anything. That's because air flows from the filter to the engine. If you collect any major oil there you've got bigger problems than a collector will fix. That's because air flows INTO the engine.

On the other side, there are some situations that it does help. Mostly high RPM tracking the car. The oil blows by the PCV and is pulled into the intercooler fins. Some think this is bad...

So on my Shelby GT with the Kenne Bell that included the collector I did some pretty spirited drives. Over the period of almost a year, it only collected about a teaspoon. Come on, that is what the intercooler fins and intake can tolerate.

On the FOrd GT I had to pull the supercahrger because the bearings died. This car has about 1.5x what a SGT will do. I had a little oil around the gasket and no visible signs on the intercooler fins.

So I will reiterate: If an oil collector was essential it would have been on the car to begin with.

Sorry. But that is the truth.

On the other hand, bling is pretty :)

...yep....I actually agree mostly on everything you stated....thus my question to him on why he even had one without a supercharger. But since he has it, he might as well get it installed, and as you say, enjoy the bling. I do think that on supercharged cars with high discarge pressures, there is application for these, but ultimately, there seems to not be a lot of harm done from not having it., When my supercharger was swapped out for a tvs, there was a light coating of dark oil on the intercooler fins, but who knows if the catch can would have stoppped that (I only put mine on a few weeks ago). I am now running about 18# on the tvs discharge....I should know in about a month or two if this is actually collecting anything.

...yep....I actually agree mostly on everything you stated....thus my question to him on why he even had one without a supercharger. But since he has it, he might as well get it installed, and as you say, enjoy the bling. I do think that on supercharged cars with high discarge pressures, there is application for these, but ultimately, there seems to not be a lot of harm done from not having it., When my supercharger was swapped out for a tvs, there was a light coating of dark oil on the intercooler fins, but who knows if the catch can would have stoppped that (I only put mine on a few weeks ago). I am now running about 18# on the tvs discharge....I should know in about a month or two if this is actually collecting anything.

Yes, I'm at 16 lb boost. It had a little. But with the standard GT500 or Shelby GT (at a whopping 6# boost) they are just pretty.

I noticed a little oil on three runs at the drag strip with my Shelby GT. But I didn't think it was anything the "system" couldn't absorb.

The claim is that the oil feedback reduces the equivalent gas octane rating. But really, a few teasponns every 1000 miles isn't going to be noticeable.

On the other hand, and I will agree, that if you track the car, e.g. a GT350 or a Boss 302, they have some value.

I started researching this when I got my FGT and had to pull the supercharger. The guy that did the work on the car alerted me to the oil coming from the snout and told me that if it continued (it did) that they bearings were blown and that I needed to get it fixed. He also told me he wouldn't do it right then because it could be just a glitch. But when I got it there was a definite "grinding" and more oil leaked. So I did it myself (really, it's just a Ford). When I pulled the supercharger off I told him of the oil that was collecting in the south east corner of the area by the gasket. He asked me if there was any on the intercooler fins. yes, but not enough to count. He told me that was the design and that the catch can was a waste of money. He also called it bling.

Do you see a catch can on the supercharged Farraris, Lambos, Aston Martins and the newer Jaguars? Really guys, if they were essential to supercharged applications they would come from the factory!

Bling bling bling bling (sung to the tune from Monty Python)

I have some pics after running my super snake from Wisconsin to Cali and back....about 3/4" of oil in the bottom of the can, which made it about half full. I have pics from when I took it off.

They are standard on the S1000

I think you are way off on your comparisons of Lambos,Aston Martins,Jaguars,and such to the design of the Ford engines.Just saying.

....I agree.....the hand built ones on the GT500 and Ford GT are probably superior..............they are works of art compared to what my muscle cars back in the 70s had for engines.

Archived