TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT Package mak-up

WhiteSnake

This question is for you dealers out there. Is there any mark-up for the selling dealer in the $8390 GT upgrade from SAI?

I've also heard that the $8390 can't be "floor planned" and the dealer must pay it upfront.

I was also wondering how much FoMoCo is making in additional profit on the upgrade package.

....I am not a dealer and I'm sure you'll get a better answer from one of them.

I have looked at alot of Shelby GTs and their stickers and I own one myself. My understanding is that my dealer was invoiced $8,390. $7,390 for the package and $1,000 for GGT. That, $8,390 is what I paid. I have seen a lot of Shelby GTs that show the Shelby package priced above the $8,390. It is usually right around $1,500. For instance they will have a dealer applied sticker that says Shelby Package $9,890 or $8,890 plus $1,000 GGT. I believe $8,390 is the dealer cost.

Also, the early Shelby GTs came with a window sticker from SAI that showed the price as $7,390 for the option and $1,000 for the GGT. Somwhere around car #500 the stickers changed and now they only show the $1,000 GGT. I suppose that is so the dealers can price the Shelby GT the way they want. One of those cars I saw with a $9,990 price for the Shelby GT was an early car and they had it on their floor without the Shelby window sticker.

This question is for you dealers out there. Is there any mark-up for the selling dealer in the $8390 GT upgrade from SAI?

I've also heard that the $8390 can't be "floor planned" and the dealer must pay it upfront.

I was also wondering how much FoMoCo is making in additional profit on the upgrade package.

That is all correct.

The $8,390 is net cost to the dealer. There is no mark up in that $8,390. The $8,390 is not floor planned. That is billed to the dealers parts statement which the dealer must pay that amount.

The dealer is also paying floor plan on the car itself long before it ever arrives at the dealer.

Floor plan starts from the time the dealer is invoiced for the car which is usually approx. 10 days before the car is even built. The dealer has 60 days before the interest on the floor plan starts. The clock starts ticking at the time of being invoiced.

Ours was built on March 5th. Invoiced around the end of Feb. We still don't have the car yet. It has been sitting at SAI for over a month. It still shows as arrive at SAI. We are now paying interest on it and have no clue as to when we will get it.

As for what Ford makes on that we have no idea. But I was told once that Ford builds about $10k profit into every car they build. That is profit to Ford and has nothing to do with the dealer.

So if a dealer sells the Shelby GT at MSRP the dealer is looking at $1,800 - $2,200 GROSS profit, depending on whether it is a GT Deluxe or GT Premium model and what options on the car. Then subtract any interest cost for floor plan, salesman commission, advertising, etc.

Typically whenever there is an after market company involved they will add a new window sticker showing a new MSRP with the conversion included. They will typically add about 10% - 20% to the conversion cost to allow the dealer to make something off that. Ford and SAI basically screwed up on this where they only added the actual cost to the new window sticker. Dealers were complaining over this so now SAI has been leaving the $7,390 cost off and just showing the $1,000 gas guzzler tax by allowing dealers to add any mark up they want to the $7,390 cost.

That is all correct.

The $8,390 is net cost to the dealer. There is no mark up in that $8,390. The $8,390 is not floor planned. That is billed to the dealers parts statement which the dealer must pay that amount.

The dealer is also paying floor plan on the car itself long before it ever arrives at the dealer.

Floor plan starts from the time the dealer is invoiced for the car which is usually approx. 10 days before the car is even built. The dealer has 60 days before the interest on the floor plan starts. The clock starts ticking at the time of being invoiced.

Ours was built on March 5th. Invoiced around the end of Feb. We still don't have the car yet. It has been sitting at SAI for over a month. It still shows as arrive at SAI. We are now paying interest on it and have no clue as to when we will get it.

As for what Ford makes on that we have no idea. But I was told once that Ford builds about $10k profit into every car they build. That is profit to Ford and has nothing to do with the dealer.

So if a dealer sells the Shelby GT at MSRP the dealer is looking at $1,800 - $2,200 GROSS profit, depending on whether it is a GT Deluxe or GT Premium model and what options on the car. Then subtract any interest cost for floor plan, salesman commission, advertising, etc.

Typically whenever there is an after market company involved they will add a new window sticker showing a new MSRP with the conversion included. They will typically add about 10% - 20% to the conversion cost to allow the dealer to make something off that. Ford and SAI basically screwed up on this where they only added the actual cost to the new window sticker. Dealers were complaining over this so now SAI has been leaving the $7,390 cost off and just showing the $1,000 gas guzzler tax by allowing dealers to add any mark up they want to the $7,390 cost.

So a little math. At $7390 per package, figure Ford makes $1500 leaving $5890.

$5890 X 6000 GTs = $35,000,000+ in revenues for SAI

Add to that 40th Anniversary, GT-Hs (coupes & conv), GT500KRs, and GT500SSs. That's another $40-45,000,000. What you get is nearly $80,000,000 in revenues for "the little shop in Vegas". Not bad.

....hmmm, I don't think you would ever get anybody to answer this but I don't think Ford is making profit off the $7,390. For sure SAI is but Ford has already made their profit off of the pre-Shelby upfitted Mustang GT. They are probably getting extra profit off of the 54U upfitter option that retails for $2,140 (manual).

Archived