TEAM SHELBY FORUM

WARNING TO ALL 13 OWNERS WITHOUT TRACK PACK (DIFFERENTIAL COOLER)

svt13

Mullens,

When SVT13 went with the watts link, the kit included a new cover that wasn't drilled for a vent bolt. So he needs to either machine the new cover or replace the bolt in the axle tube with a new vent bolt.

Yea I wasn't too clear but that's what I meant for him to leave it on the tube.

putting it in the cover moves it to a physically higher location and allows the fluid to expand more before it pushes out the vent. just a guess

The elevated location minimizes the chance that fluid will spew forth. So you have the right idea.

You need a breather somewhere so if you don't have it on the pumpkin I'd leave it alone.

Yup, there has to be a vent somewhere.

Sterling ships the 8.8 Mustang axle assemblies with the plastic plug in place. Earlier GT500's had the plug/threaded hole location atop the axle tube on the passenger side.

_ry3D480.jpg

Here's a complete Mustang assembly at Sterling...

IMAG2345.jpg

A 2013 GT500 assembly from Ford (note the plug in the axle tube to the right of center)...

IMG_3999copy.jpg

And the breather...

vent.jpg

From Tom Wilson's excellent article in 5.0 Mustangs...

2013_shelby_gt500_total_package.jpg

All Track Cooling plumbing to the rear axle is done through the 8.8-inch differential's cover. Mounted to the axle at left is a standard cover' date=' leaning against it for comparison is a Track Cooler cover with quick connect hose fittings top and bottom, along with the temperature sensor at the lower left edge.[/quote']

So it appears that 2007-2011 GT500 have the vent on the passenger side tube , then it went to the drivers side in 2012 and now on the 2013 it's located at the top of the diff cover. Is that what you come up with Tob / Snoopy49 ? Sounds like someone should let Whiteline and other manufacturers of watts linkage ( that incorporate a cover change ) of the issue so that they can either make accommodations for the vent on their covers or indicate the need for it to be relocated to the axle tube location on 2013 models. Nice discussion folks - good posts . svt13 too bad you had to find the pitfall in a mod but thanks for sharing ( looks like you get to call Whiteline and ask why they don't mention this on their installation instructions ).

So it appears that 2007-2011 GT500 have the vent on the passenger side tube , then it went to the drivers side in 2012 and now on the 2013 it's located at the top of the diff cover. Is that what you come up with Tob / Snoopy49 ? Sounds like someone should let Whiteline and other manufacturers of watts linkage ( that incorporate a cover change ) of the issue so that they can either make accommodations for the vent on their covers or indicate the need for it to be relocated to the axle tube location on 2013 models. Nice discussion folks - good posts . svt13 too bad you had to find the pitfall in a mod but thanks for sharing ( looks like you get to call Whiteline and ask why they don't mention this on their installation instructions ).

I'll be talking to them tomorrow about this.

The elevated location minimizes the chance that fluid will spew forth. So you have the right idea.

Yup, there has to be a vent somewhere.

Sterling ships the 8.8 Mustang axle assemblies with the plastic plug in place. Earlier GT500's had the plug/threaded hole location atop the axle tube on the passenger side.

_ry3D480.jpg

Here's a complete Mustang assembly at Sterling...

Whoaaaa..... You are making me have flashbacks! I retired from the Ford Sterling plant 4 years ago and thought that was the last I would see of it but one picture sure reminded me of the place. I did a lot of electrical work in the R&D garage that picture was taken in. Also noted is the orange, screwed in plug I mentioned was probably used on the GT500.

Squirrel, I have a small handful of shots from the garage at Sterling, but that's it. It hasn't been easy finding them...

Hope you are enjoying your retirement!

Well I am and I'm not. I took a buyout in 2008 from Ford. They gave me a bunch of tax free cash and said go and take your full pension and have fun. So 2 days later I was on my way to Iraq to do electrical inspections. After 18 months I said that's enough of this crap, I'm going home. Somehow the military talked me into coming to Afghanistan instead where I have been since. So over 4 years over here. Kind of forgetting what the good ol' USA looks like. But I know there will be a 2013 Shelby GT500 sitting in my garage waiting for me with 22 miles on the odeometer and a ton of car care products in 2014 sometime. I look at pictures of all my cars and think about a sunny day, an ice cold beer and the smell of wax and cleaners etc. and it gives me something to be happy about. Nothing quite like the enjoyment of detailing a vehicle and admiring the finished product.

Archived