TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I am very surprised the new Car & Driver issue has not been brought up yet...........

William Rodgers

I heard about the article but I haven't seen it yet. It was discused over on Shelbyautos. The tone was more about how the Shelby GT came in first but C&D slammed it on several points. I wanted to read it before commenting too much.

Also, I wish we could get more Shelby GT owners on this site but they seem to prefer the Shelbyautos site.

I heard about the article but I haven't seen it yet. It was discused over on Shelbyautos. The tone was more about how the Shelby GT came in first but C&D slammed it on several points. I wanted to read it before commenting too much.

Also, I wish we could get more Shelby GT owners on this site but they seem to prefer the Shelbyautos site.

Is that where they are? Drag em on over.

Thanks for the info timtnt.

In all honesty though I really hope there is another, bigger, better surprise coming. Otherwise all this hype was for nothing :do what:

I drove Mastermech's Shelby GT and it ROCKS. Piss on the Nissan junker.

I beg your pardon?

We'll have words on this matter very soon.

Ruf is not happy right now.

I'm an SGT owner. I usually just lurk on the site, but I'm here nonetheless :).

J

lol, welcome aboard but you have gone and done it now. Once that first post is out there pretty soon you can't stop.

On the magazine, I loooked today, it isn't on news stands yet. I'll get it next week and then I'll be happy to add my $.02.

Well, I stole a look at the article in a book store today. The Shelby GT had the most horsepower, quickest 0-60 and was tied for 1/4 mile. However, C&D listed it 4th out of 4. They didn't have anything complimentary to say about the car. They slammed everything: solid rear axle, over boosted steering, stiff front suspension, hood scoop, interior, shifter, and $10K premium over the Mustang GT. Unfortunately I don't have my car to agree or dispute any of this yet.

The writers seemed to like nothing about the car. However, I don't think anybody who likes Mustangs of the regular variety, Shelby or otherwise care. Just like anybody in the market for any of the other three cars wouldn't be considering a Mustang. The Shelby GT should be in a different category than these cars. I can't wait for the Challenger and Camaro to show up. Then I will be interested in these comparissons and pay for the magazine.

Last note, they used a preproduction car not a production car.

Well, I stole a look at the article in a book store today. The Shelby GT had the most horsepower, quickest 0-60 and was tied for 1/4 mile. However, C&D listed it 4th out of 4. They didn't have anything complimentary to say about the car. They slammed everything: solid rear axle, over boosted steering, stiff front suspension, hood scoop, interior, shifter, and $10K premium over the Mustang GT. Unfortunately I don't have my car to agree or dispute any of this yet.

The writers seemed to like nothing about the car. However, I don't think anybody who likes Mustangs of the regular variety, Shelby or otherwise care. Just like anybody in the market for any of the other three cars wouldn't be considering a Mustang. The Shelby GT should be in a different category than these cars. I can't wait for the Challenger and Camaro to show up. Then I will be interested in these comparissons and pay for the magazine.

Last note, they used a preproduction car not a production car.

I do have mine to compare it to and none of the cars they tested would be welcomed in my garage. :finger:

Yeah, I read it. I have the magazine...and frankly I don't care. I mean hey, I really didn't think the cars were a good comparison anyway and everyone has an opinion ya know? I'm happy that it was even thought of to include since it's pretty much been a stealth marketing play by Ford. All I can say is if I pulled into a parking lot :shift: with these cars behind me I'd grab the attention. I don't drive my car like they do i n these silly tests so .5 seconds here and 2 seconds there mean NOTHING. When you're that close it's the driver that makes the difference. Anyway, not loosing any sleep over it and 20 years from now when my car is in some car show and these other are razor blades well, I guess that will be the final word! :hysterical:

My Car and Driver arrived yesterday and I finally read the article. I guess to each his own, but I have driven the number one choice, RX-8, and I certainly wouldn't trade my SGT for one. I like Mazdas, but I was quite disappointed in the performance of the RX-8. The acceleration was fair and the handling was nothing spectacular. They were way to hard on the SGT comparing it to a truck. What SGT were they driving? It sure wasn't mine. Maybe it is time to let my C and D subscription expire.

• 2 weeks later...

I read the article also. To me it appeared that some inexperienced high school kids wrote it; it was terrible. They didn't even give a thought to what the Shelby GT is all about; much more than the sum of its parts and its performance statistics. Even at that, the SGT equaled or exceeded the other cars in all the tests that matter, except braking and obviously the car they tested had specific braking issues, which even they admitted. This probably had to do with it not even being an actual production car. The Shelby GT is not a "Sports Car" such as the others anyway; it would be more correctly called a "Grand Touring" car in my book and should be compared against other Grand Touring cars of similar size, power and weight. That is performed as well as it did against these sports cars is a testament of how great a car it is. Give my my Shelby over any of the other cars tested any day and I bet if there were an actual race between those cars the SGT would whip 'em all - hell, look how the Mustangs are tearing it up in the Koni Challenge against all these "Sports Cars".

• 2 weeks later...

I have read the article and it is about what I expected from C&D. They have always been anti Ford. Through the years they have bashed the Mustang at every chance they had. It was bad enough then when they were in the Chevy camp but it is even worse now since they are European owned. They are anti Detroit.

Why in the world would they test the Mustang against smaller sports cars? It makes no sense. Look at the pictures, the Mustang is definately out of place in this competition. I'm very pleased that it pretty much whipped the competition but give me a break, don't trash the Mustang for not being a 2 seat sports car.

We did get some retribution though. Somebody wrote a letter to the editor about them bashing the Z06 for no reason a few months back. He took a jab at them for their bias and said it was about what he had to come to expect from them.

Car and Driver has been and still is a biased piece of crap rag written by foreign car loving pansy sissy nerds. Their ranking systems leaves too many holes for them to "interpret" the car. They blasted the ZO6, the Shelby GT 500 and now the Shelby GT. Fortunately I found a use for the magazine, it does a good job of soaking up oil drips from under my neighbor's Nissan. I would have used it bird cage liner, but didn't want to kill the bird.

:rant:

Car and Driver sucks!

Car and Driver has been and still is a biased piece of crap rag written by foreign car loving pansy sissy nerds. Their ranking systems leaves too many holes for them to "interpret" the car. They blasted the ZO6, the Shelby GT 500 and now the Shelby GT. Fortunately I found a use for the magazine, it does a good job of soaking up oil drips from under my neighbor's Nissan. I would have used it bird cage liner, but didn't want to kill the bird.

Car and Driver sucks!

Stop pussy footin' around and tell us how you really feel!! :hysterical2:

If we all took the time to write to C&D I guarantee there will be a change in their attitude! Money talks people walk and if they think we are gonna walk they will change their tune!

What's Car and Driver anyway? :hysterical2:

I'd be more than happy let them know how I spend my money instead of buying their garbage, like I need to know the 0-60 times for a Kia. I saw some europe magazine video slamming the GT500 as well. They just don't get it. If we all wanted some riced up, cushioned up, little sports car that we could put a tip on and make sound like a fat lady flatulaing in an out house, we'd buy one.

Hence, I believe that's why Mr. Shelby did what he did way back when and is what he is today, He's always beat them at their own game then, and is still doing so. That was a part of my purchase decision to begin with. There are a lot of great Mustang modders like Saleen, Roush, Steeda and more, but for me, he was the first, and is the real deal.

So don't worry about me spending my money on garbage can liners like C&D. Just my opinion.

Car and Driver sucks!

Yeah. What he said.

I have read the Car and Driver article too and I also have trouble undrestanding their top choice. I drove an RX-8 once and while it is a fine car with good handling, acceleration is really weak if you don't rev it past 5000RPM and even then, it is only adequate for a sports car. Personally, I hate engines that have no low end torque.

As some other said, C&D doesn't seem to like Ford products. Their prior comparison of the GT500 vs regular C6 Corvette is another exemple.

Archived