TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FR3 & '13 Coupe w/ SVTPP

Madlock

Stopped by to check the progress of my '13 Coupe upgrades which includes the applicable FR-3 Handling Pack components applicable to the '13 with SVTPP.

This includes the 5300-L Lowering Springs and 5490-B Sway Bar Kits. I'm going to continue using the dual-mode Bilsteins rather than using the optional Adjustable Dampers, though it'd certainly be nice if, rather than the binary OE shock settings, fully-integrated dynamic dampers were made a new part of a revised kit for '13-'14, but I digress.

The car is awaiting replacement hardware from another vendor that had slipped through QC, but I had a chance to see the car today, situated on its new springs. I was very surprised with the result given how the 5300-L and OE springs are of nearly identical uncompressed heights yet the chassis sits noticeably lower when back on the ground.

The wire thickness is very similar to the OE springs, but the coil pattern is VERY different. The OE springs are more uniform compared to the 5300-L springs which are wound far more tightly at each end. I was very surprised by the difference between them under static load and very pleased with the car's new, more aggressive stance with much less rake than it came with from the factory.

Combined with the wholesale replacement of all OE control arms for billet and adjustable tubular, relocation brackets and Watt's linkage, I'm very much looking forward to a first drive tomorrow afternoon to see just how differently the car handles (hopefully better) and the extent to which it will have changed the ride properties in each Bilstein mode.

If they came out with a shock that could be electronically adjusted with more than 2 setting then how do you think it will work with the car that is set to normal and sport? They would have to make a new interface module to display the different modes. But that would be nice if they did it.

Subscribing to this thread for more updates. I'm curious if you are going to get any noise from that BMR/shelby UCA. Also curious to see if the ford racing springs will make the car more bumpy for you since I can't put mine on yet.

If they came out with a shock that could be electronically adjusted with more than 2 setting then how do you think it will work with the car that is set to normal and sport? They would have to make a new interface module to display the different modes. But that would be nice if they did it.

The car can accommodate as many "modes" are the software is written to support. Right next to it is the button for steering resistance with three.

Subscribing to this thread for more updates. I'm curious if you are going to get any noise from that BMR/shelby UCA. Also curious to see if the ford racing springs will make the car more bumpy for you since I can't put mine on yet.

With a lower stance and higher rates, of course the L Springs will be firmer. It's the one thing you needn't drive the car to predict. Additional noise from the Shelby UCA is the least of my concerns and I have no plans of riding around with an audiometer until happen to find some. Any observations will be purely subjective, so you may be better-off tuning out or relying upon other Shelby UCA post-installation reports.

The car can accommodate as many "modes" are the software is written to support. Right next to it is the button for steering resistance with three.

With a lower stance and higher rates, of course the L Springs will be firmer. It's the one thing you needn't drive the car to predict. Additional noise from the Shelby UCA is the least of my concerns and I have no plans of riding around with an audiometer until happen to find some. Any observations will be purely subjective, so you may be better-off tuning out or relying upon other Shelby UCA post-installation reports.

Never said you need an audiometer. Its very simple if you hear an annoying whine, clunk, vibration, or any kind of noise that was not there before the mod will there you go NVH increase.

And yes the steering wheel has 3 modes but when you switch on the screen it goes C,S, and plain steering wheel for normal. So if you have say a 5 way electronic adjustable shock how are you going to know if its set at 3,4,5 etc? This is probably why OEM electronic shocks don't go past 3 settings.

Never said you need an audiometer. Its very simple if you hear an annoying whine, clunk, vibration, or any kind of noise that was not there before the mod will there you go NVH increase.

Any observations will be purely subjective, so you may be better-off tuning out or relying upon other Shelby UCA post-installation reports.

SVT13 what part of the second quote do you not understand?

You simple can't comprehend the Engilsh language

My opinion of acceptably noise, vibration and harmonics are different than yours. Madlock's opinion is different from yours and mine. Do you not comprehend the word subjective and the use of it in this sentence?

Soon you will wear out your welcome and nobody will answer any of your questions on any subject you have an interest in.

SVT13 what part of the second quote do you not understand?

You simple can't comprehend the Engilsh language

My opinion of acceptably noise, vibration and harmonics are different than yours. Madlock's opinion is different from yours and mine. Do you not comprehend the word subjective and the use of it in this sentence?

Soon you will wear out your welcome and nobody will answer any of your questions on any subject you have an interest in.

WTF is your problem man? Do you know how many people have put UCAs on their car ONLY to take them off and go to stock? Get the fu** out of this thread if you are going to say BS like that. I fully understand the concept of subjective. But I am started to think YOU can't comprehend the english language. There is nothing subjective about a noise that comes from the car when it didn't originally make that noise. If your car starts to have really bad gear whine are you going to be like "oh I don't hear a thing its subjective" when its obviously apparent?

Wow, this place it harsh. Anyones subjective view or opinion regarding suspension noise quality is completely irrelevant to the question asked. If you notice more noise after your suspension install, there is an increase in NHV. If you don't notice an increase in noise, then there is not in increase in NHV. How hard is that to answer like a human?

In the short time I've been on this board, I have found that it is completely worthless to ask Madlock a question. All you get is a condescending reply that does not help anyone.

Wow, this place it harsh. Anyones subjective view or opinion regarding suspension noise quality is completely irrelevant to the question asked. If you notice more noise after your suspension install, there is an increase in NHV. If you don't notice an increase in noise, then there is not in increase in NHV. How hard is that to answer like a human?

In the short time I've been on this board, I have found that it is completely worthless to ask Madlock a question. All you get is a condescending reply that does not help anyone.

THANK YOU. Someone with a brain. Wow.

WTF is your problem man? Do you know how many people have put UCAs on their car ONLY to take them off and go to stock? Get the fu** out of this thread if you are going to say BS like that. I fully understand the concept of subjective. But I am started to think YOU can't comprehend the english language. There is nothing subjective about a noise that comes from the car when it didn't originally make that noise. If your car starts to have really bad gear whine are you going to be like "oh I don't hear a thing its subjective" when its obviously apparent?

Your problem is the fact that you don't seem to realize the fact that any modification that removes the factory bushings will to some extant increase NVH above the stock levels in the car. You constantly ask the same questions time and again. You want people to video tape the noises changes in their cars to determine the NVH increase above stock. The noise changes are so low that a camera will not pick them up like the human ear can. You are being sooooooooooooo picky about the NVH increases that my personal advise to you would be to leave your car absolutely stock, because you'll be whining after you do any of these mods to your own car. The reason Madlock or I said anything about subject is the your tolerance level for NVH is nil to none from your prior posts and questions.

Will the springs make the car bumpy, harsh or stiff in ride quality? Yes

Will any rear UCA ot LCA introduce NVH into the car regardless of its construction? YES.

Either you'll have to deal with that fact or not modify your car.

To imply that I don't have a brain doesn't win you any points either.

The problem is the person asking doesn't seem to understand that 99.99% of suspension modifications introduce NVH into the car if the stock bushings are changed. He asks everybody who is doing any kind of suspension mods.........did it increase noise? The answer is always going to be YES. The next question he will ask is well how much noise? Then you have to try to describe to him your tolerance levels of the acceptable noise. The subjective part is whether his tolerance levels are the same as yours. He is so stuck on NVH that I wouldn't recommend anything for him to modify on his car as it will only disappoint him afterwards. He will then blame the person that answered his questions and who he followed their recommendations for his intolerance to the NVH introduced into the car

My car now only has one stock bushing in the complete rear suspension..............ONE. Everything else is spherical bearings. The noise level increase is slight, but to you it would be massive. That is the subjective part. Can I sit the with a decibel meter and measure the difference? I guess if you wanted to supply one. But than I'm not sure you'd understand what the readings mean either. A 1 decibel increase is not as small as the number appears. Is there gear whine? Nope, but there is gear mesh sounds both on acceleration and deceleration. Hell I can hear when the brake pads hit the disc now. Can I ride down the road at highway speeds and use the sync feature of my phone without having to talk over the car? Yep, but again the noise level isn't loud, but it is there if you know what you're listening to. Do I have a problem with it? nope. Would you? I'm positive you'd be whining. Put some big boy panties on if you want to mod the car

The problem is the person asking doesn't seem to understand that 99.99% of suspension modifications introduce NVH into the car if the stock bushings are changed. He asks everybody who is doing any kind of suspension mods.........did it increase noise? The answer is always going to be YES. The next question he will ask is well how much noise? Then you have to try to describe to him your tolerance levels of the acceptable noise. The subjective part is whether his tolerance levels are the same as yours. He is so stuck on NVH that I wouldn't recommend anything for him to modify on his car as it will only disappoint him afterwards. He will then blame the person that answered his questions and who he followed their recommendations for his intolerance to the NVH introduced into the car

Thanks, Haney. I was pretty sure it wasn't just me. Maybe, once Ted has spent a little more time and runs into what happens so often when trying to actually answer some questions (as you so aptly described), his sensibilities won't be quite so delicate.

Again your wrong. Your wrong over and over and over again. The only thing your right about is spherical bearings make noise. Hence why nothing I put on my car will use that. So far everyone who has given a review about steeda and ford racing springs say ride quality is THE SAME. Key word in that statement was "THE SAME". Should I say it one more time? So there you go wrong on springs.

Now LCA everyone I asked who used poly bushings with the exception of 2 said NO NOISE. One more time key word "NO NOISE".

Hell people even said the fays2 when installed properly Jer included said IT DOES NOT INCREASE NOISE. And I never asked anyone to video tape noise on their car. As stated above I simply asked DID YOU HEAR ANYTHING NEW AFTER??? If the answer is no then the NVH was so minimal it didn't matter.

So do I need to provide these threads as proof so that every person who proves you wrong maybe knocks some sense into that damn arrogant brain of yours? Both of you have shit ass attitudes. Is it REALLY that hard for you to just not answer a question you don't want to deal with it? Are you a child?

Again your wrong. Your wrong over and over and over again. The only thing your right about is spherical bearings make noise. Hence why nothing I put on my car will use that. So far everyone who has given a review about steeda and ford racing springs say ride quality is THE SAME. Key word in that statement was "THE SAME". Should I say it one more time? So there you go wrong on springs.

Now LCA everyone I asked who used poly bushings with the exception of 2 said NO NOISE. One more time key word "NO NOISE".

Hell people even said the fays2 when installed properly Jer included said IT DOES NOT INCREASE NOISE. And I never asked anyone to video tape noise on their car. As stated above I simply asked DID YOU HEAR ANYTHING NEW AFTER??? If the answer is no then the NVH was so minimal it didn't matter.

So do I need to provide these threads as proof so that every person who proves you wrong maybe knocks some sense into that damn arrogant brain of yours? Both of you have shit ass attitudes. Is it REALLY that hard for you to just not answer a question you don't want to deal with it? Are you a child?

Do it your way then.

To make things clear, you personally asked me to video tape the sound difference in my car after changing the shifter to a Barton Industries shifter. Would you like me to provide you with that link? Hell, I'll just quote it for you

Video while shifting so we can hear noise? In the video american muscle made I heard no noises at all, wondering how the shelby barton compares. I've been looking into MGW though.

Now when people give their assessments of noise increases after a modification, you don't seem to realize that everybody has a different perception of noise. What one person answers versus another will be different.

The BMR/Shelby, Steeda or any other brand of LCA with poly bushings will increase noise, but as you've noted some don't think it did increase noise, while two others that gave you an answer that said that it did. Is this the differences in each individuals perception of noise versus the actually noise increases? Why do you think two people said it increased noise? Do you think they installed them differently? Did they get incorrectly manufactured LCAs?

You evidently don't understand the concept of changing springs. Anytime you lower a car the spring rate in Lbs per inch has to be raised to keep the car suspended without it constantly hitting the bump stops. If you do this then the ride quality changes from the stock spring rate. The Ford Racing springs are a progressive rate spring, but a higher lb per inch rate than stock, so there is a difference in ride quality, yet people have told you there is NO difference. I can tell you for a fact that there is a difference, because my car has those same springs installed on it. So who is wrong me or the person that says they didn't change the ride quality? Again we're talking one persons perception versus another. You don't seem to understand the fact that your questions are asking the person that answers you to make a judgement call as to what the results of the modification are. Everybody has a different opinion in this

You need to stop being the child. Otherwise this arrogant brain of mine, might try to find you on the other side of the beltway to teach you some manners. It also isn't about answering a question. Its about seeing the same questions asked over and over again, without you making a decision or you changing your mind 100 different times

Do it your way then.

To make things clear, you personally asked me to video tape the sound difference in my car after changing the shifter to a Barton Industries shifter. Would you like me to provide you with that link? Hell, I'll just quote it for you

Now when people give their assessments of noise increases after a modification, you don't seem to realize that everybody has a different perception of noise. What one person answers versus another will be different.

The BMR/Shelby, Steeda or any other brand of LCA with poly bushings will increase noise, but as you've noted some don't think it did increase noise, while two others that gave you an answer that said that it did. Is this the differences in each individuals perception of noise versus the actually noise increases? Why do you think two people said it increased noise? Do you think they installed them differently? Did they get incorrectly manufactured LCAs?

You evidently don't understand the concept of changing springs. Anytime you lower a car the spring rate in Lbs per inch has to be raised to keep the car suspended without it constantly hitting the bump stops. If you do this then the ride quality changes from the stock spring rate. The Ford Racing springs are a progressive rate spring, but a higher lb per inch rate than stock, so there is a difference in ride quality, yet people have told you there is NO difference. I can tell you for a fact that there is a difference, because my car has those same springs installed on it. So who is wrong me or the person that says they didn't change the ride quality? Again we're talking one persons perception versus another. You don't seem to understand the fact that your questions are asking the person that answers you to make a judgement call as to what the results of the modification are. Everybody has a different opinion in this

You need to stop being the child. Otherwise this arrogant brain of mine, might try to find you on the other side of the beltway to teach you some manners. It also isn't about answering a question. Its about seeing the same questions asked over and over again, without you making a decision or you changing your mind 100 different times

Ok ford racing says the springs add 10% stiffness over stock. But can you tell that difference in your butt? No. Apparently you can but the other 99% of people can not. Same with steeda. Hence why people say ride quality is uneffected. 2nd as far as LCA the 2 people who had noises said they made constant horrible squealing sounds. I don't think a horrible squealing sound can be stated as subjected. Especially when people go nuts over this gear whine issue now. I have that same issue granted mine is only between a 3 mph interval but I couldn't even hear it untill someone pointed it out. So if that is the kind of noise I'll get from my suspension mods fine. But sorry if I want to avoid horrible squealing sounds and bumpy ass rides. I have to drive this car every day. I already destroyed one car with the wrong mods to the point it was so loud, bumpy, and scraping over things I almost drove it off a cliff. Sorry I'm not stupid enough to repeat my mistakes or waste my money. Finally the only LCA I found that not one person has complained about is bobs which is the route I will go.

Again if you don't like the questions don't read or answer. Not that it matters now since I'm pretty much done with my stuff.

If you notice more noise after your suspension install, there is an increase in NHV. If you don't notice an increase in noise, then there is not in increase in NHV. How hard is that to answer like a human?

As mentioned elsewhere Ted, there are some that simply want to put themselves in a position to blame others if they aren't satisfied. I never knew subjectivity was so complex. :confused:

Your problem is the fact that you don't seem to realize the fact that any modification that removes the factory bushings will to some extant increase NVH above the stock levels in the car.

I think his problem arises when some of the responses he gets indicate no increase in noise from suspension/bushing changes. He's torn and unwilling to take the bull by the horns.

You need to make your own decisions. Pick a mod then a manufacturer. If you aren't happy with YOUR decision, remove the part, sell it, and reinstall the original. It is that simple.

Folks, when a technical discussion starts turning toward personal insults and outright ARGUMENT, I have to ask everyone to PLEASE stop and breathe for a moment.

Thanks,

Jer

I get on this forum to read what other members are saying about their cars. I do not want read personal attacks on other members or members threatening to whip someone's ass. Are we in high school?? If you don't like the question, don't answer!! The moderator needs to step in and stop this crap.... PLEASE.

I get on this forum to read what other members are saying about their cars. I do not want read personal attacks on other members or members threatening to whip someone's ass. Are we in high school?? If you don't like the question, don't answer!! The moderator needs to step in and stop this crap.... PLEASE.

Please read my post right above yours, posted 4 days ago. I'll take further steps if necessary.

Jer

Oh for crying out loud, what does the car handle like with the mods?

Oh for crying out loud, haul your impatient backside up to MY neck of the woods, clear away some debris, re-string a few felled power lines, bail out a basement or two or repair a roof and maybe bring back online a few cell towers so folks can send or get more than a text message or so every 6 hours and I'd be MORE than happy to oblige by going driving to satisfy your curiosity instead.

Otherwise, my list of things to get done FIRST includes finishing running power across my yard for neighbors who unfortunately were less well-prepared and have an infant they're trying to keep warm and milk they're trying to keep cold without overloading the wattage I can spare between what I need for my own house and already share with the old lady who lives alone on the OTHER side of me and has threatened to die so often during the past decade even her own nephews won't answer the phone (if we had working phones, that is).

So, as eager as I may be to grab my car off the lift to test the new suspension more fully, satisfying your curiosity is about number 44 on my "things to focus on" list at the moment. Sorry.

Oh for crying out loud, haul your impatient backside up to MY neck of the woods, clear away some debris, re-string a few felled power lines, bail out a basement or two or repair a roof and maybe bring back online a few cell towers so folks can send or get more than a text message or so every 6 hours and I'd be MORE than happy to oblige by going driving to satisfy your curiosity instead.

Otherwise, my list of things to get done FIRST includes finishing running power across my yard for neighbors who unfortunately were less well-prepared and have an infant they're trying to keep warm and milk they're trying to keep cold without overloading the wattage I can spare between what I need for my own house and already share with the old lady who lives alone on the OTHER side of me and has threatened to die so often during the past decade even her own nephews won't answer the phone (if we had working phones, that is).

So, as eager as I may be to grab my car off the lift to test the new suspension more fully, satisfying your curiosity is about number 44 on my "things to focus on" list at the moment. Sorry.

And yet you have time to post this completely off topic, self promoting, irrelevant post.

False alarm. My bad.

The actual storm didn't cause any damage. It was just some exceptionally atypical NVH that even the Prezident had to come and experience firsthand.

Too bad the Secret Service confiscated the video.

He mustn't have wanted footage of being asked to print ANOTHER $3T while he still holds the keys to the presses that might serve some actual purpose this time, or being told to go the hell home before his idiot running mate could start pushing buttons and cause some REAL damage winding up on YouTube. Go figure.

:facepalm:

Archived