TEAM SHELBY FORUM

daytime running lights?

palacekeeper

Just got mine today, and in the manual it sounds like the DRL's come on in lower light situations, but don't stay on during the day. I like the new LED DRL's and was wondering if there is way to have them on during the day? thx.

They are on all the time. Just get out of your car and look. Set your lights to auto. That means turn the light switch all the way to the right and pull it out if you want the fog lights to turn on automatically when the headlights turn on as well.

They are NOT on all the time, at least on my car.

Specifically checked this in bright sunlight on Sunday. I too would be interested in figuring out a fix to make them stay on all the time when in AUTO mode, and only have the full headlight/taillights come on automatically when it gets dark.

They are NOT on all the time, at least on my car.

Specifically checked this in bright sunlight on Sunday. I too would be interested in figuring out a fix to make them stay on all the time when in AUTO mode, and only have the full headlight/taillights come on automatically when it gets dark.

Really? I set my knob to auto and they are on all the time. I'll check again the next time I get a bright day here. So far its been rain rain rain all week.

From the 2013 Mustang Owners Manual.

DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS (IF EQUIPPED) WARNING:

Always remember to turn on your headlamps at dusk or during inclement weather. The Daytime Running Lamp (DRL) system does not activate the tail lamps and generally may not provide adequate lighting during these conditions. Failure to activate your headlamps under these conditions may result in a collision. The system switches the headlamps on with a reduced output (vehicles equipped with halogen headlamps) or turns the front fog lamps on (vehicles equipped with HID headlamps) in low light situations.

To switch the system on:

1. Switch the ignition on.

2. Switch the lighting control to the off, autolamp or parking lamp position.

3. Make sure the transmission selector lever is not in position P.

4. Make sure the parking brake is disengaged

From the 2013 Mustang Owners Manual.

DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS (IF EQUIPPED) WARNING:

Always remember to turn on your headlamps at dusk or during inclement weather. The Daytime Running Lamp (DRL) system does not activate the tail lamps and generally may not provide adequate lighting during these conditions. Failure to activate your headlamps under these conditions may result in a collision. The system switches the headlamps on with a reduced output (vehicles equipped with halogen headlamps) or turns the front fog lamps on (vehicles equipped with HID headlamps) in low light situations.

To switch the system on:

1. Switch the ignition on.

2. Switch the lighting control to the off, autolamp or parking lamp position.

3. Make sure the transmission selector lever is not in position P.

4. Make sure the parking brake is disengaged

Honestly, I find this a little confusing. What do they mean by "if equipped"? Don't all of the 2013's have the LED lighting, and isn't the LED lighting supposed to be the DRLs?

As far as turning the system on, i've done all of those steps (except for that fact that I don't have an automatic), BUT I did have the parking brake on. It's cloudy here today also, so it's hard to tell.

Husky, do you see any difference if you have it in neutral with the parking brake off? (on a flat surface ;-) or if someone can stand outside the car while you have it running with the parking brake off).

I had the wife check it with engine running, in bright light. I don't remember if it was in gear or not, or if parking brake was on or not.

May not see bright light again for six months, so I can't say for sure.

Interesting. I defintely know mine were on during bright days because I could see them on in the reflection of other cars paint. Maybe if its super super bright out they turn off? Definitely when its cloudy like today they will be automatically on.

The daytime running lights turn off when the parking brake is applied. So be sure to check when the parking brake is off.

That makes sense... It's pretty likely that I had the parking brake on while I had the wife standing in front of the car... At least that's my story!

I hope you guys are right; I really want them to be on all the time, and was wondering what the logic was, because I could see them on at some times (doing the reflection in the car in front of me test), but wasn't sure if it was related to the brightness of the day (haven't had too many bright days around here in the past month). Will chalk the wheels and check tonight on the way home (assuming I get out of here before dark).

My truck has Automatic lights I keep it in the auto position at all times and put a F150 hat over the sensor on the dash so my lights are on all the time.

I plan to do the same with a Shelby hat when I finaly get my car.

I hope you velcro that hat in place when you get your Shelby. It is going to be all over your dash or in your face if you don't. :hysterical2:

• 1 month later...

I have yet to see a 2013 GT500 on the road in SoCal but I have seen a few 2013 V6 and GT mustangs that did not have the DRL on while driving during the day. Its almost always sunny here so I'm assuming they turned them off intentionally? I have a 2010 so I don't have to worry about this inconvenience B)

Really? I set my knob to auto and they are on all the time. I'll check again the next time I get a bright day here. So far its been rain rain rain all week.

You gotta set your knob the right way or nothing gets turned on....... :hysterical:

Archived