TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tire sizes for alcoas discussion thread

svt13

You do realize that the new Alcoa's you just ordered will stick out over 3/4" more the stock wheels.Take a ruler and measure out a little over 3/4" from the edge of the rim, then factor in the tire overhang and see how close it is to the fender lip. This on the rear, the front will only be slightly more than a 1/2". This is assuming the stock offset for the factory wheels is 44mm for the front and 50mm for the rear.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your worried about using a tuner to recalibrate your speedometer because of oversized tires, your not going to like this.

From the 2013 Ford Warranty Guide

Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:

alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, or components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company

tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or with the other parts that affect these systems (for example, but not limited to exhaust and intake systems)

the installation or use of a non-Ford Motor Company part (other than a certified emissions part) or any part (Ford or non-Ford) designed for off-road use only installed after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company, if the installed part fails or causes a Ford part to fail.

Examples include, but are not limited to lift kits, oversized tires, roll bars, cellular phones, alarm systems, automatic starting systems and performance-enhancing powertrain components or software and performance ‘‘chips’’

Why? It's only an issue if it causes other components to fail. Anybody who's worried about over-sized tires should be concerning themselves with the modifications needed to accommodate them, NOT the calibration of the speedo.

The PCM doesn't know diddly between a calibration set by IDS, Pro-Cal or SCT and the vehicle telemetry is capable of supporting a wide range of diameters. It's exceeding these settings in size or hacking off bits of your car that would cause an issue, not the speedo calibration which can vary widely even among same-sized tires of different makes.

With so much handwringing over this banality, it's a wonder the car would be driven at all in the first place.

I was trying to point out that it was silly to worry about using a tuner and if he was, I figured I would give him something else to worry about.

Now I see (said Ray Charles). :) I just hope he remembers to turn the hazards off in traffic.

You do realize that the new Alcoa's you just ordered will stick out over 3/4" more the stock wheels.Take a ruler and measure out a little over 3/4" from the edge of the rim, then factor in the tire overhang and see how close it is to the fender lip. This on the rear, the front will only be slightly more than a 1/2". This is assuming the stock offset for the factory wheels is 44mm for the front and 50mm for the rear.

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say here? The alcoas also will not damage this car. Your losing me with every post, I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish.

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say here? The alcoas also will not damage this car. Your losing me with every post, I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish.

What may be confusing you is that the offset is measured from the centerline, and the centerline "moves" relative to the front face as the wheel gets wider, thereby increasing the measurement. Snoopy would be exactly correct if for one thing - the offset of the OEM GT500 wheel on a 2013 is 44mm on a 9.5" wheel. A 10" wheel with the EXACT same o/s will actually stick out LESS. In other words, as the wheels get wider the offset HAS to increase in order to keep the TRUE center of the wheel in the same location. Now it is true that Alcoa wheels start off with a 9" wheel o/s of 24mm, making them 20mm (less than an inch) further out. Normally this is not an issue. Don't get all worked up about the numbers. Read through this thread and others on the board and simply make an informed decision.

WheelBackspacing.jpg

Alcoa 10" Rear

Centerline to "Face": 127mm

Centerline to Mount Surface (Offset): 36.7mm

Mount Surface to "Face": 90.3mm

2012 SVTPP 9.5" Rear (same as 2013?)

Centerline to "Face": 120.65mm

Centerline to Mount Surface (Offset): 50mm

Mount Surface to "Face": 70.65mm

Alcoa "Face" will stick out 19.65mm (0.77") farther.

Is the above correct? If not, please show corrected calcs.

If yes, then same calcs for Alcoa 9" Fr compared to SVTPP 9.5" Fr (again, 2012 wheel) show the Alcoa will stick out 0.54" more than stock.

Alcoa 10" Rear

Centerline to "Face": 127mm

Centerline to Mount Surface (Offset): 36.7mm

Mount Surface to "Face": 90.3mm

2012 SVTPP 9.5" Rear (same as 2013?)

Centerline to "Face": 120.65mm

Centerline to Mount Surface (Offset): 50mm

Mount Surface to "Face": 70.65mm

Alcoa "Face" will stick out 19.65mm (0.77") farther.

Is the above correct? If not, please show corrected calcs.

If yes, then same calcs for Alcoa 9" Fr compared to SVTPP 9.5" Fr (again, 2012 wheel) show the Alcoa will stick out 0.54" more than stock.

Wider wheels = sticks out more.

Not necessarily. Depends on the offset.

Well of course... I just don't see the point of all this "sticking out" issue. If you don't like the Alcoa's just don't buy em. Pretty easy....

Well of course... I just don't see the point of all this "sticking out" issue. If you don't like the Alcoa's just don't buy em. Pretty easy....

Agreed. I think the OP really likes the Alcoas. For that matter, so do I. Probably my favorite wheel on the car, although I really like the dark SVTPP wheels also (especially on lighter colored cars). I'm a fan of contrast between car and wheels. OP was probably just worried about rubbing issues with running the 10" rear and lowering also. Lots of good info out there for review.

Agreed. I think the OP really likes the Alcoas. For that matter, so do I. Probably my favorite wheel on the car, although I really like the dark SVTPP wheels also (especially on lighter colored cars). I'm a fan of contrast between car and wheels. OP was probably just worried about rubbing issues with running the 10" rear and lowering also. Lots of good info out there for review.

Exactly Idk how this turned to wheels sticking out. My goal was to find out what is the max size tire that can go on regular alcoas without any issues then what would it take to make 335s work with a widened 11.75 wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

2013 TPMS sensors will NOT work on Alcoa's. 2012 TPMS sensors will work with 2013 GT500. I have the on mine.

2013 cars indeed recognize 2012 sensors but only the '13 sensors get the Good Housekeeping seal for speeds beyond 155mph.

I don't see what the problem is. 285/35 20 R. 265/35 20. F. work fine, can't tell the difference from stock, and the speedo is right on the money. No modifications needed at all. I'm running those right now.

Has anyone pictures of a Shelby with 265/35 20 Frt / 285/35 20 Rear / 20x9 / 20x10 Alcoas?

• 2 weeks later...

After reading all the posts Im really more confused than ever! lol. I have a set of Alcoas 20x9 and 20x10 and I havent decieded on tire size or brand! I like the Michelin Super Sports. My concern is having 650 rwhp, id like to be able to put it to the pavement without spinning the wheels under heavy acceleration! I don't drag race the car but I like to play a lil on the streets and open up on the highway. I am currently using the SVT rims and Goodyear F1's at the moment. Can anyone recommend a tire set up that will work well and definately not stick out from the fenders? Id like to go wide in the rear on the 10 inch Alcoa or mabey widen the rim if need be. Thanks.

Archived