TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tire sizes for alcoas discussion thread

svt13

Well then touche lol. I wouldn't say I rally around the mods though I just want to fix what held Ford back from fixing due to budget issues or maybe because they are just plain stupid in some regards.

OR....

One could simply prefer them for their aesthetics - cost and performance be damned. One of the best parts of owning one's own things.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is an easy one...Basically because I don't think like you. Essentially I like the stock wheels and weight isn't of importance. I don't rally around mods like you do I no longer get that "bug" People like to say "Oh you'll get the bug" I think that may be a sick twisted way of justifying their own bug....anywho, to stop the rant here, I like the double five spoke design, it speaks to me, I can't escape it. I like the Alcoas, I do, but I'll save money on the OEM's because I wont need tires. No matter what I haven't made up my mind yet.

I agree with a lot of what you say, except the tires. Why are you so against changeing the tires? The Goodyears absolutely suck compared to the Mich Pilot Super Sports. That's why Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. use them. The reason Ford did not make them OEM, was simply cost. Michelin even offered to make a 19" front for Ford, but they wanted $29 more per tire than Goodyear.

Jamal Hameedi pressed the bean counters hard to get the PSS, but he lost in the end.

The tire combination I'm going with is slightly shorter in diameter by 1.1%, which I will address via ECU programing (even though its slight).

sorry for the quite possibly dumb questions: so if you alter ECU programming, isn't that something that voids the warranty? in other words, if somebody wants fatties on the rear, you can't have a correct speedo after that without voiding your warranty? any nanny performance that 305 or more on the rear may alter?

So as Jer has said before for the money the alcoas are a very cheap lightweight USA forged wheel and better than the chinese made OEM.

Don't misquote me. I said that the Alcoa is a quality wheel that is very inexpensive considering they are forged and made in USA. I have NO OPINION on the OEM wheel.

Jer

Don't misquote me. I said that the Alcoa is a quality wheel that is very inexpensive considering they are forged and made in USA. I have NO OPINION on the OEM wheel.

Jer

Sry Jer. I ment for that last part to be separate from me quoting you. Looking at it now, they way I wrote it makes it look like you said the whole thing. But yes you are right.

I agree with a lot of what you say, except the tires. Why are you so against changeing the tires? The Goodyears absolutely suck compared to the Mich Pilot Super Sports. That's why Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. use them. The reason Ford did not make them OEM, was simply cost. Michelin even offered to make a 19" front for Ford, but they wanted $29 more per tire than Goodyear.

$29? That's pretty specific without a glance at the actual proposal...

How would a 20x9 widened to 11" give you more backspacing than a 20x10 widened to 11"? I can't see the advantage of widening the 20x9 rather than widening a 20x10.

Unless you are taking it for granted that most of the people buy 2 20x9's and 2 20x10"s rather than buying 4 20x10's.

Most people do (or did) buy them in staggered sets based upon the product claim that 10's wouldn't work up-front. Because the Alcoa's do and are apparently of identical depth and draw regardless of the width, moving the 10's up front allows people to widen only 2 of the 4 wheels while using wider tires all-around. It's a shame, because schmuck's like me originally ordered and then cancelled full sets of 10" Alcoas based upon conflicting information and wound-up with staggered sets instead.

I wish I knew if the same were true of the CS56s before the last of the stragglers are gone for good.

That they are. And just one more lobby for offering a certain number without the "FIFTY YEARS" inscriptions for prior owners who need to replace single wheels.

Ok so now that we determined the regular size lets move on to widened alcoas. This discussion would be for people who move their 10s in the front and go 11.75 in the rear.

Now I want to know what does it take to get 335 on the back of this car with this alcoa? I know Alex did it on his boss leguna seca but he didn't talk about it at all how he did it. Since it seems I won't be able to get new summer tires early enough I'll be going winter soon I might as well plan for next summer since I have plenty of time now.

What tire would we have to run on the front for the 10 inch to balance out with the 335 in the rear. And what kind of modifications are needed to make 335 work? Also can a dealership recalibrate the speedo to avoid any warranty issues?

Also how is gas milage effected?

Without hacking up the suspension, you've only got so much additional room to go inboard. That means widening the wheel to the minimum width your 335 of choice requires and spacers to give you enough clearance from the suspension. 335's are no trick. 335's without rubbing and protuding beyond the fender is damn-near impossible.

What do you need up front? Do the math. But you're going to have a hard time fitting much larger than 285's up front without locking off the steering at some point.

All you need is a handheld tuner to change the rev/mile calibration. Wheel/tire size doesn't affect warranty unless the parts you use cause another component to fail.

Are you talking about an SCT tuner? That will void the warranty. Any kind of non manufactuer tune will void it. Because if anything goes wrong you can be that dealership will somehow blame that. They tried it with me on the remote start that had nothing to do with my rev limiter.

Thats why I rather not deal with them

Are you talking about an SCT tuner? That will void the warranty. Any kind of non manufactuer tune will void it. Because if anything goes wrong you can be that dealership will somehow blame that. They tried it with me on the remote start that had nothing to do with my rev limiter.

Thats why I rather not deal with them

You can change the speedo without loading any tune in the car with the SCT.

You can change the speedo without loading any tune in the car with the SCT.

Exactly. And even if you WERE to load a different tune, you can re-load the stock tune before taking it to the dealer for service with no forensic trace.

Does the tuner have to be married to the car or can you use anyones tuner to recalibrate the speedometer?

You'd need your own. 1 per car.

Exactly. And even if you WERE to load a different tune, you can re-load the stock tune before taking it to the dealer for service with no forensic trace.

You'd need your own. 1 per car.

I am pretty sure that once you change the tune of the car if the dealer has the equipment they can find out. Its my understanding though that the majority of them do not bother to pay to get it. Though lets say there is a serious problem with the car and Ford sends an engineer I'm almost positive they will come with the proper equipment to test that.

I am pretty sure that once you change the tune of the car if the dealer has the equipment they can find out. Its my understanding though that the majority of them do not bother to pay to get it. Though lets say there is a serious problem with the car and Ford sends an engineer I'm almost positive they will come with the proper equipment to test that.

Sigh.

That's right it's part of the same super secret techno pack the CIA hooks to the Taliban's balls for rendition at Gitmo.

Even if you were to leave a batshit crazy tune loaded, Ford can't arbitrarily "void" warranties. To not cover a particular part, it must be able to establish a direct cause and effect which is limited ONLY to those specific components.

Besides, the cars are designed to accomodate variable tire sizing for Christ's sake.

Sigh.

That's right it's part of the same super secret techno pack the CIA hooks to the Taliban's balls for rendition at Gitmo.

Even if you were to leave a batshit crazy tune loaded, Ford can't arbitrarily "void" warranties. To not cover a particular part, it must be able to establish a direct cause and effect which is limited ONLY to those specific components.

Besides, the cars are designed to accomodate variable tire sizing for Christ's sake.

Just saying my dealership always tries to put responsible on the owner instead of them. They are assholes

If your worried about using a tuner to recalibrate your speedometer because of oversized tires, your not going to like this.

From the 2013 Ford Warranty Guide

Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:

alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, or components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company

tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or with the other parts that affect these systems (for example, but not limited to exhaust and intake systems)

the installation or use of a non-Ford Motor Company part (other than a certified emissions part) or any part (Ford or non-Ford) designed for off-road use only installed after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company, if the installed part fails or causes a Ford part to fail.

Examples include, but are not limited to lift kits, oversized tires, roll bars, cellular phones, alarm systems, automatic starting systems and performance-enhancing powertrain components or software and performance ‘‘chips’’

If your worried about using a tuner to recalibrate your speedometer because of oversized tires, your not going to like this.

From the 2013 Ford Warranty Guide

Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:

alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, or components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company

tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or with the other parts that affect these systems (for example, but not limited to exhaust and intake systems)

the installation or use of a non-Ford Motor Company part (other than a certified emissions part) or any part (Ford or non-Ford) designed for off-road use only installed after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company, if the installed part fails or causes a Ford part to fail.

Examples include, but are not limited to lift kits, oversized tires, roll bars, cellular phones, alarm systems, automatic starting systems and performance-enhancing powertrain components or software and performance ‘‘chips’’

I'm not worried about the tires causing damage.

Archived