TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tire sizes for alcoas discussion thread

svt13

Would I be safe in using 265-35-30 & 285-35-20 Michelin's on 20x10 front and rear or would I be better off with the same tires on 20x9 front and 20x10 rear?

How is the offset measured? I am trying to visualize the offset in these wheels.

Shelby Forged 20"x9" (front) 24mm offset

(Recommended tire size: 255/35/ZR20)

Shelby Forged 20"x10" (rear) 36.7 mm offset

(Recommended tire size: 275/35/ZR20)

PIcture is worth a thousand words:

wheel_measurements.jpg

EDIT: Remember, from the mounting surface to the OUTSIDE face of the wheel is identical on both the 9-inch and the 10-inch wheel, thereby moving the offset as the wheel becomes wider.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PIcture is worth a thousand words:

wheel_measurements.jpg

EDIT: Remember, from the mounting surface to the OUTSIDE face of the wheel is identical on both the 9-inch and the 10-inch wheel, thereby moving the offset as the wheel becomes wider.

That's why some mount the rear 20x10 on the front and widen the front 20x9 to 20x11 or more, on the inside (more rear spacing)...

How would a 20x9 widened to 11" give you more backspacing than a 20x10 widened to 11"? I can't see the advantage of widening the 20x9 rather than widening a 20x10.

Unless you are taking it for granted that most of the people buy 2 20x9's and 2 20x10"s rather than buying 4 20x10's.

Can someone confirm the offset of the 2013 SVT PP wheels? Is it +45mm?

I'll check, but my recollection is the 20x10's are either 50mm or 51mm. I'll look when I get in the office.

How would a 20x9 widened to 11" give you more backspacing than a 20x10 widened to 11"? I can't see the advantage of widening the 20x9 rather than widening a 20x10.

Unless you are taking it for granted that most of the people buy 2 20x9's and 2 20x10"s rather than buying 4 20x10's.

It makes absolutely no difference which wheel you widen. The distance from the front face to the mounting surface is the same on both therefor as you widen the wheel you move BOTH the true center and offset while increasing the backspace. All the widening is done behind the mounting surface.

EDIT: that measurement being 90.3mm.

That's why some mount the rear 20x10 on the front and widen the front 20x9 to 20x11 or more, on the inside (more rear spacing)...

Actually no, read my post above.

Actually no, read my post above.

In order to end up with a 20x10 & 20x11 (or more...11.5 - 11.75) combo, some move the rear Alcoas to the front and widen the "ex-front Alcoas" and then mount them to the rear, because " the mounting surface to the OUTSIDE face of the wheel is identical on both the 9-inch and the 10-inch wheel" that's all I was saying.

Check out multiple posts on that in the SS forum.

Of course if you start with four 20x10, there is no debate...

I'll check, but my recollection is the 20x10's are either 50mm or 51mm. I'll look when I get in the office.

Just checked on this and I was right: SVTPP 19x9's run 44mm o/s, and 20x10's run 50mm o/s.

In order to end up with a 20x10 & 20x11 (or more...11.5 - 11.75) combo, some move the rear Alcoas to the front and widen the "ex-front Alcoas" and then mount them to the rear, because " the mounting surface to the OUTSIDE face of the wheel is identical on both the 9-inch and the 10-inch wheel" that's all I was saying.

Check out multiple posts on that in the SS forum.

Of course if you start with four 20x10, there is no debate...

Indeed... you are correct sir.

Just checked on this and I was right: SVTPP 19x9's run 44mm o/s, and 20x10's run 50mm o/s.

Thanks for taking the time to research this for me. :beerchug:

I looked everywhere and even called Ford and SVT and couldn't find the answer.

The Alcoa's are about 10 lbs LIGHTER than the stock (13) wheels, al least as measured by my bathroom scales.

Any chance you happen to keep those measurements? I'm doing a ton of work on my own just to get my setup dialed in and still weighing the options as for a dedicated track setup... I'm trying to figure out just how much unsprung weight I'll be losing by going a separate set, but until I know how much Alcoas weigh I can't get any figures....

The Alcoa's are about 10 lbs LIGHTER than the stock (13) wheels, al least as measured by my bathroom scales.

Sure they are. But they're also not as light as wheels you'd be using if weight were really your primary concern.

Sure they are. But they're also not as light as wheels you'd be using if weight were really your primary concern.

True.

They are THE very best looking S197 rims IMO (and very rigid too) but not the lightest.

The BBS for the S197, sold through FRPP at $650.- (18x10) is 20lb!

http://rehagenracingproducts.com/BBS-18-X-10-BOSS-302R-WHEEL-FOR-S197-MUSTANG-M-1007-BOSSR.htm

The Alcoas weight resp. 30 & 32 lb

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/620261-elusive-shelby-super-snake-wheel-weights.html

I am considering canceling my order on these Alcoas, I don't know what I was thinking to be honest. What I really want are the base model 2013 GT500 Star-like double spoke wheels. I'd like to dip those or whatever in that carbon fiber hydro dip process. I wanted those all along PLUS I could use my stock SVTPP tires on them, corect? Does anyone have a part number for those? Are they available at the dealer? Thanks!

True.

They are THE very best looking S197 rims IMO (and very rigid too) but not the lightest.

The BBS for the S197, sold through FRPP at $650.- (18x10) is 20lb!

http://rehagenracing...-1007-BOSSR.htm

The Alcoas weight resp. 30 & 32 lb

http://www.svtperfor...el-weights.html

Agreed it's IMO also that they're the best looking rim ever put on an S197.

I am considering canceling my order on these Alcoas, I don't know what I was thinking to be honest. What I really want are the base model 2013 GT500 Star-like double spoke wheels. I'd like to dip those or whatever in that carbon fiber hydro dip process. I wanted those all along PLUS I could use my stock SVTPP tires on them, corect? Does anyone have a part number for those? Are they available at the dealer? Thanks!

I don't have a part #, but they are $1900 each from a normal dealer. I think Tousley Ford sells them for $1350 ea.

Why do you want to get a heavier OEM wheel that you will lose majority of your money on when you have a lighter and better wheel that you will make money on? I am confused by this.

When I looked on tirerack specs of michelin super sports it shows a 275/35 295/35 combo would be fine with 9s and 10s. And for those who actually want to lose real weight get TSW,HRE, or carbon fiber rims if you have 8k to spend. The TSWs and HREs are 25 pounds while the carbon fiber HREs are 12 pounds. Alcoas are 30 while OEM is around 36 for the 18 inch rim. I'm assuming the 19 and 20s are a bit heavier.

Idk how much TSWs are but HREs are 5k. So as Jer has said before for the money the alcoas are a very cheap lightweight USA forged wheel and better than the chinese made OEM. Alcoas will save you around 20-25 pounds, HRE/TSW will save you around 40 pounds and the carbon fiber HREs or carbon fiber COR wheels which are around 5500 will save you around 90-100 pounds.

I am considering canceling my order on these Alcoa's, I don't know what I was thinking to be honest. What I really want are the base model 2013 GT500 Star-like double spoke wheels. I'd like to dip those or whatever in that carbon fiber hydro dip process. I wanted those all along PLUS I could use my stock SVT PP tires on them, correct? Does anyone have a part number for those? Are they available at the dealer? Thanks!

I would wait until Ford Racing offers the 2013 wheels, they will probably be less than half the price of Ford OEM wheels. With all the people buying the Alcoa's, there should be quite a few sets of stock wheels for sale here and on eBay. I think Iceman or Madlock mentioned that the 2013 GT500 wheels require the 2013 TPMS sensors and the earlier sensors won't work.

Why do you want to get a heavier OEM wheel that you will lose majority of your money on when you have a lighter and better wheel that you will make money on? I am confused by this.

I think this is an easy one...Basically because I don't think like you. Essentially I like the stock wheels and weight isn't of importance. I don't rally around mods like you do I no longer get that "bug" People like to say "Oh you'll get the bug" I think that may be a sick twisted way of justifying their own bug....anywho, to stop the rant here, I like the double five spoke design, it speaks to me, I can't escape it. I like the Alcoas, I do, but I'll save money on the OEM's because I wont need tires. No matter what I haven't made up my mind yet.

I would wait until Ford Racing offers the 2013 wheels, they will probably be less than half the price of Ford OEM wheels. With all the people buying the Alcoa's, there should be quite a few sets of stock wheels for sale here and on eBay. I think Iceman or Madlock mentioned that the 2013 GT500 wheels require the 2013 TPMS sensors and the earlier sensors won't work.

I'll have the TPMS sensors from my SVTPP wheels. Yeah I think you are right Snoopy. I might just keep the Alcoas. Store them away, and when For Racing offers the wheels or I find some on ebay that aren't a ridiculous price scoop them up. Money isn't a concern, but I love the base model wheels. I REALLY want to get THOSE bad boys hydro dipped with the carbon fiber pattern. I like that. Anyway good advice, I could have thought of myself, but I wasn't thinking clearly enough. AND I swear by Zeus...I will not mod my car beyond wheels and hood struts

Idk how much TSWs are but HREs are 5k. So as Jer has said before for the money the alcoas are a very cheap lightweight USA forged wheel and better than the chinese made OEM.

In what way(s) are they "better" than the OE wheel - apart from weight? This made in China = crap by default stuff is a bunch of malarkey.

Not only is China the world's go to place for inexpensive manufacturing, the fact that its been the beneficiary of such massive manufacturing infrastructure and technology investment versus other "developed" economies whose workers can't or won't compete on the basis of labor cost who've let much simply fall by the wayside has helped China to become not just the CHEAPEST place to make many things, but the best - even the most experienced as other cultures have left their engineering and artisinal skills fall by the wayside.

Don't shoot ME, I'm just the messenger. It's those who stick their heads in the sand and keep subsidizing the atrophy while helping certain sectors avoid both the need and opportunity to become competitive who are only hastening its demise by continuing to barter away ever-larger parts of the future to keep the wheels on today - precisely as GM and Chrysler did right up to, and ultimately through, insolvency and then bailouts that only exacerbated their ability to remain uncompetitive (largely at Ford's expense despite being the only LEGITIMATE U.S. car-making enterprise.

I'm not claiming Alcoa doesn't make a phenomenal wheel or that the OE wheels AREN'T crap for that matter. But if it's JUST about being nationalistic, the RIGHT answer would to buy the Chinese-made OE wheels and write Ford (and delaers) a check for the massively inflated prices it charges for them.

If Ford Racing DOES offer them, it won't be in OE sizing.

In what way(s) are they "better" than the OE wheel - apart from weight? This made in China = crap by default stuff is a bunch of malarkey.

Not only is China the world's go to place for inexpensive manufacturing, the fact that its been the beneficiary of such massive manufacturing infrastructure and technology investment versus other "developed" economies whose workers can't or won't compete on the basis of labor cost who've let much simply fall by the wayside has helped China to become not just the CHEAPEST place to make many things, but the best - even the most experienced as other cultures have left their engineering and artisinal skills fall by the wayside.

Don't shoot ME, I'm just the messenger. It's those who stick their heads in the sand and keep subsidizing the atrophy while helping certain sectors avoid both the need and opportunity to become competitive who are only hastening its demise by continuing to barter away ever-larger parts of the future to keep the wheels on today - precisely as GM and Chrysler did right up to, and ultimately through, insolvency and then bailouts that only exacerbated their ability to remain uncompetitive (largely at Ford's expense despite being the only LEGITIMATE U.S. car-making enterprise.

I'm not claiming Alcoa doesn't make a phenomenal wheel or that the OE wheels AREN'T crap for that matter. But if it's JUST about being nationalistic, the RIGHT answer would to buy the Chinese-made OE wheels and write Ford (and delaers) a check for the massively inflated prices it charges for them.

Your right and such on your points. I just say that in this regard because alcoa is the leading manufactuer in alumnium and metals in the world. So I'm just assuming any company in China isn't going to match the quality of their metal working. That assumption could be wrong though. And there are many Chinese made products far superior to American ones because lets face it sometimes American workers get a little lazy in their manufacturing hence one of the reasons of outsourcing.

I think this is an easy one...Basically because I don't think like you. Essentially I like the stock wheels and weight isn't of importance. I don't rally around mods like you do I no longer get that "bug" People like to say "Oh you'll get the bug" I think that may be a sick twisted way of justifying their own bug....anywho, to stop the rant here, I like the double five spoke design, it speaks to me, I can't escape it. I like the Alcoas, I do, but I'll save money on the OEM's because I wont need tires. No matter what I haven't made up my mind yet.

Well then touche lol. I wouldn't say I rally around the mods though I just want to fix what held Ford back from fixing due to budget issues or maybe because they are just plain stupid in some regards.

Archived