TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tire sizes for alcoas discussion thread

svt13

I am starting to rethink the purchase of these wheels. I might be better off getting wheels that actually fit the car and don't require alterations to make them work. I think they are one of the best looking wheels for the GT500's, but without modifications, they seem to be more show than go.

These wheels DO "fit the car". They don't "require alterations to make them work". There are people who want to use the largest tires that will physically fit on the car and not rub anything, with no consideration for other factors.This wheel strikes an excellent balance of universal fitment, clearance for big brakes, quality, and looks. All at a price that is extremely favorable for a forged wheel.

Jer

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These wheels DO "fit the car". They don't "require alterations to make them work". There are people who want to use the largest tires that will physically fit on the car and not rub anything, with no consideration for other factors.This wheel strikes an excellent balance of universal fitment, clearance for big brakes, quality, and looks. All at a price that is extremely favorable for a forged wheel.

Jer

+1 Jer is right.

The problem I have is that i want to go to at least a 295-35 tire on the back and there seems to be a few potential problems, rubbing and extending past the fender lip that can't be addressed without modifications.

You can try. Like I said now after doing lots of research. You will be rolling the dice. The guy told me you have to keep the tire diamater at 27inches or mm (don't remember which but its probably inches since mm doesn't sound right). If you want to play it safe 265/ 285 is your best bet. Plus with 295 you won't see THAT much difference in handling. If you go 28 it MAY require modification.

Eventually I will widen to 11.75 and run 335 in the rear. Though weldcraft apparently won't do alcoas anymore they call it a "super snake disaster" as the guy told me. So have to find someone else now.

I don't see what the problem is. 285/35 20 R. 265/35 20. F. work fine, can't tell the difference from stock, and the speedo is right on the money. No modifications needed at all. I'm running those right now.

Not sure how far off from the OEM size before speedo is an issue...is it an inch? If I did the math right here's what the diameters are for the different tires, however, each tire manufacture can be above or below a tad. I'm running the Toyo Proxes 4 295/30-20's and speedo is dead on.

285/40-18 = 26.98" (OEM)

265/35-20 = 27.30"

275/30-20 = 26.49"

275/35-20 = 27.85"

285/35-20 = 27.85"

295/30-20 = 26.97" (closest to OEM)

295/35-20 = 28.13"

This applies to a 2013 GT500 with 3.31 rear gears.

265/35-20 = 27.30" - 58.81 MPH

275/30-20 = 26.49" - 57.7 MPH

275/35-20 = 27.58" - 59.41 MPH

285/35-20 = 27.85" (OEM) - 60 MPH

295/30-20 = 26.97" - 58.09 MPH

295/35-20 = 28.13" - 60.51 MPH

This applies to a 2013 GT500 with 3.31 rear gears.

265/35-20 = 27.30" - 58.81 MPH

275/30-20 = 26.49" - 57.7 MPH

275/35-20 = 27.58" - 59.41 MPH

285/35-20 = 27.85" (OEM) - 60 MPH

295/30-20 = 26.97" - 58.09 MPH

295/35-20 = 28.13" - 60.51 MPH

According to this 295/35 would be an improvement I'm guessing? Is this all for rear tire sizes?

We need something that is for both rear and front if this is only for rear.

The chart shows the actual speed with various size tires compared to the stock 285-35-20 used on the 2013 GT500.

Example:

295-35-20 will be going 60.51 MPH, but the speedometer will be reading 60 MPH. +.51 MPH

275-35-20 will be going 59.41 MPH, but the speedometer will be reading 60 MPH. -.59 MPH

According to this 295/35 would be an improvement I'm guessing? Is this all for rear tire sizes?

We need something that is for both rear and front if this is only for rear.

Makes sense. My car is clocked slightly faster by local speed limit boxes.

There are several threads on this and other boards about this same issue, and I can say that I have done SIGNIFICANT (as in probably 30 hours) of math on the subject and come up with the same numbers as far as fitments. With that said, you have to remember that different manufacturers of tires measure them differently, so the SAME size tire from one may be different from another. Sadly, IMHO there are absolutely no tires that are "optimal" in terms of fitment & performance for MODIFIED (read widened) versions of the Alcoas. My personal interest in modifying the Alocas is to satisfy my need for better performance AND the look I'm going for... which is not necessarily to have the absolute MOST rubber under the car. The OEM fit of the Alcoas with the recommended tire size is absolutely the path that most should take - they fit, they don't rub, they're sharp as hell and its tried and true. There is no arguing that fact. I don't recommend widening your wheels if you're only motivation is for looks. Lets not complicate what is a truly awesome thing that Shelby and Jer have done for us - making this wheel available to those who really just love the look of them on our cars (Thanks again Jer!!). Now, if this thread is to figure out what works for WIDER wheels, we have some real data on that subject and I would direct you to search for what has already been discussed. I've been getting PM's from several people and forwarding them my data. I don't claim that mine is the ONLY solution, just the one I"m using - with the goal of maximizing traction firstly, and maintaining proper fitment and looks. It is NOT a perfect solution, not even for me. The tire combination I'm going with is slightly shorter in diameter by 1.1%, which I will address via ECU programing (even though its slight). My choice dose NOT allow me to run the tires I really want, and lastly it does NOT produce an optimal performance upgrade. Not a perfect solution, not by a long shot. So, understand that anything other than the OEM solution will be a compromise. That's the long and short of it.

There are several threads on this and other boards about this same issue, and I can say that I have done SIGNIFICANT (as in probably 30 hours) of math on the subject and come up with the same numbers as far as fitments. With that said, you have to remember that different manufacturers of tires measure them differently, so the SAME size tire from one may be different from another. Sadly, IMHO there are absolutely no tires that are "optimal" in terms of fitment & performance for MODIFIED (read widened) versions of the Alcoas. My personal interest in modifying the Alocas is to satisfy my need for better performance AND the look I'm going for... which is not necessarily to have the absolute MOST rubber under the car. The OEM fit of the Alcoas with the recommended tire size is absolutely the path that most should take - they fit, they don't rub, they're sharp as hell and its tried and true. There is no arguing that fact. I don't recommend widening your wheels if you're only motivation is for looks. Lets not complicate what is a truly awesome thing that Shelby and Jer have done for us - making this wheel available to those who really just love the look of them on our cars (Thanks again Jer!!). Now, if this thread is to figure out what works for WIDER wheels, we have some real data on that subject and I would direct you to search for what has already been discussed. I've been getting PM's from several people and forwarding them my data. I don't claim that mine is the ONLY solution, just the one I"m using - with the goal of maximizing traction firstly, and maintaining proper fitment and looks. It is NOT a perfect solution, not even for me. The tire combination I'm going with is slightly shorter in diameter by 1.1%, which I will address via ECU programing (even though its slight). My choice dose NOT allow me to run the tires I really want, and lastly it does NOT produce an optimal performance upgrade. Not a perfect solution, not by a long shot. So, understand that anything other than the OEM solution will be a compromise. That's the long and short of it.

The point of this thread is to see what tires from different manufactuers work with the alcoas unmodified and modified. Right now we care more about unmodified since not many people are going to be immediately sending out their wheels for widening. I don't even know where people would send them since weldcraft is no longer doing it. So the most common tires used will be nittos and michelin super sports. So we are trying to discover what is the optimum size tire to use with these brands. Apparently with the super sports the stock width is the way to go. Some say with the nitto though a 275/35 295/35 will work as well. Then there are different results with that size with the michelin. Some say it works some say it doesn;'t.

The point of this thread is to see what tires from different manufactuers work with the alcoas unmodified and modified. Right now we care more about unmodified since not many people are going to be immediately sending out their wheels for widening. I don't even know where people would send them since weldcraft is no longer doing it. So the most common tires used will be nittos and michelin super sports. So we are trying to discover what is the optimum size tire to use with these brands. Apparently with the super sports the stock width is the way to go. Some say with the nitto though a 275/35 295/35 will work as well. Then there are different results with that size with the michelin. Some say it works some say it doesn;'t.

Agreed... just as an FYI, Eric Vaughn will widen the Alcoas and he is far superior IMHO to Weldcraft. I've seen photos of both their works and Eric uses a computerized rotary welding machine.

I have ordered a set of Alcoa's, I am running stock suspension and plan to run the recommended 285/265 combo. I am considering going with the FRPP springs to lower suspension, this tire combo will continue to work for me here.

I love Michelins and run them on all my cars, I plan to use Michelin Sport Pilots on the 2009 Shelby - is there really a better overall tire for the street (not track or drag)?

I have ordered a set of Alcoa's, I am running stock suspension and plan to run the recommended 285/265 combo. I am considering going with the FRPP springs to lower suspension, this tire combo will continue to work for me here.

I love Michelins and run them on all my cars, I plan to use Michelin Sport Pilots on the 2009 Shelby - is there really a better overall tire for the street (not track or drag)?

I think Pilot Super Sports are a better choice, JMHO!

Agreed... just as an FYI, Eric Vaughn will widen the Alcoas and he is far superior IMHO to Weldcraft. I've seen photos of both their works and Eric uses a computerized rotary welding machine.

Yes someone Pmed me and told me about Eric Vaughn

Omg 300 dollars to widen both rims? Thats so cheap. Maybe I should just go ahead and send one of my sets to get widened lol. What do you have to do to these cars to fit 335s out back? haha

Yes someone Pmed me and told me about Eric Vaughn

Omg 300 dollars to widen both rims? Thats so cheap. Maybe I should just go ahead and send one of my sets to get widened lol. What do you have to do to these cars to fit 335s out back? haha

Errr.. nope, its $600 for both rims.... still a bargain IMHO>

I don't understand the math of widening rims. My simplistic view says...If I widen my wheels then it is going to rub/hit something internally in the wheel well. What am I missing guys how does this actually work? I just dont get it!

Michelin Pilot Super Sport +++++ YES absolutely!

When adding widened rear rims + wide and big rubber on the rear; Remember all that all that weight, added to the already heavy suspended rear live axle, won't help handling AT ALL.

It will help traction all right, but will amplify the live axle related handling problems...

For handling, keep unsprung weight to a MINIMUM.

Hence the 18x10 super light BBS with 275 tires on all corners on all the BOSS 302R / FR500, etc...

I don't understand the math of widening rims. My simplistic view says...If I widen my wheels then it is going to rub/hit something internally in the wheel well. What am I missing guys how does this actually work? I just dont get it!

There's always "fudge" room in most things.... pushed to the limit, you are correct. The good thing about forums like this is we hope to minimize the chances of anyone making a mistake. Its a group effort...

Michelin Pilot Super Sport +++++ YES absolutely!

When adding widened rear rims + wide and big rubber on the rear; Remember all that all that weight, added to the already heavy suspended rear live axle, won't help handling AT ALL.

It will help traction all right, but will amplify the live axle related handling problems...

For handling, keep unsprung weight to a MINIMUM.

Hence the 18x10 super light BBS with 275 tires on all corners on all the BOSS 302R / FR500, etc...

Patrick knows what he's talking about. ++1 Big rubber on the rear will decrease slip angle.... which means more UNDERSTEER. Please don't go big unless you've thought out all your other plans. Rubber comes AFTER suspension upgrades... and frankly, these things aren't too bad right off the showroom.

Would I be safe in using 265-35-30 & 285-35-20 Michelin's on 20x10 front and rear or would I be better off with the same tires on 20x9 front and 20x10 rear?

How is the offset measured? I am trying to visualize the offset in these wheels.

Shelby Forged 20"x9" (front) 24mm offset

(Recommended tire size: 255/35/ZR20)

Shelby Forged 20"x10" (rear) 36.7 mm offset

(Recommended tire size: 275/35/ZR20)

Archived