TEAM SHELBY FORUM

gear whine

svt13

I think I may have a gear whine. I youtubed a video of it so I got some idea of what it sounds like. I was wondering if anyone else is experincing this.

I only hear it and it is very faintly that I hear it when I am going from 57 mph to 61 mph in 5th or 6th. Before 57 and after 61 the noise is gone. It also doesn't due this in 3rd or 4th its only 5th and 6th. This could be a normal noise or not idk.

So idk if that is the supercharger making the noise or can gear whine come in and go like that? I have no clue.

Any ideas? thanks

There is no noise at lower speeds. It is only between the speeds I said in 5th or 6th.

Its not very loud but its definitely there. I see on other forums people have complained about this noise from 2012 svtpp shelbys as well. I think maybe I may need the bearings and other gear stuff changed or at least checked.

There is no noise at lower speeds. It is only between the speeds I said in 5th or 6th.

Its not very loud but its definitely there. I see on other forums people have complained about this noise from 2012 svtpp shelbys as well. I think maybe I may need the bearings and other gear stuff changed or at least checked.

If it is the rear end they may just another bottle of friction modifer. But for sure let them check it out.

The 2012 and early models have a different gear setup which at low speeds would sometimes make noise when turning. To correct this Ford said you needed to do fiqure 8's in a parking lot which would make it go away for a time. The 2013 with the SVT pack has the torsen rearend which has a different gear set in that the clutches in the rear end will not make this noise at low speeds. The Torsen setup is quiet and will never make the low speed noise like the old clutch based rearend. Rearend Gear noise pitch will change with the throttle being applied and released. If you have a faint Gear whine at such a small gap I would not even worry about it, drive around it. Make sure that whoever works on your rearend is great at it and knows what their doing. Other wise you will end up with something worst.

I just don't want it to turn into a bigger problem. I want to make sure its not something that if I ignore will become worse down the road.

But I'll have my SVT tech listen to it just in case.

Have this same issue. Was not there then appeared. Was told by SVT to bring it to dealer and have tech listen.

Yea I'm going to take it either friday or saturday.

Idk if maybe I'm noticing it now because of the resonator delete. Perhaps the resonator hid this sound. But then again I didn't know what gear whine sounded like till I youtubed it and listened to my car after the huge thread on SVTP about gear whine being some epidemic.

Yea I'm going to take it either friday or saturday.

Idk if maybe I'm noticing it now because of the resonator delete. Perhaps the resonator hid this sound. But then again I didn't know what gear whine sounded like till I youtubed it and listened to my car after the huge thread on SVTP about gear whine being some epidemic.

What is the youtube link? I would like to listen. Yes, i have the resonator delete and a Airaid filter.

I have not had gear whine since the 2007. My 2007 had it and the dealer trying to fix it made it worst. So I went with 3.73 and had a guy I know that is an expert install them and the gear whine went away. Make sure they know what they are doing or they could make it worst. This 2013 has been perfect quiet as a church mouse.

I have the same thing but from 57 to 62. The only thing is someone with a gear whine on svtp had them try and fix it and they only made it worse. So I am scared to let my dealership touch my car

I am with you - unless it is really bad - and it takes a great deal of talent to properly set up a diff - just leave it alone - turn up the radio.

I know probably my shop I go to could do it since they put gears in my last mustang no problem. But I don't want to pay 500 dollars for something I shouldn't. When I roll down the windows on the highway I can't hear the noise over the sound of the wind.

I am with you - unless it is really bad - and it takes a great deal of talent to properly set up a diff - just leave it alone - turn up the radio.

I worked at the Ford Sterling Axle Plant in Michigan for 36 years as an Electrician. The machines we had for setting up the gears were all super high tech. They ran the gear sets back and forth at different speeds and they used computers to figure out exactly what size shims needed to be installed and they were accurate to .001 inch. After they were built with the correct shims they then went to the sound room rollers where they were once again run forward and backward at several varrying speeds in a very quiet enviornment to check for gear noise. It is a very exacting endevour. For somebody after market to work on them they would have to be a very exceptional person. If you find a good mechanic don't let him get away!

I worked at the Ford Sterling Axle Plant in Michigan for 36 years as an Electrician. The machines we had for setting up the gears were all super high tech. They ran the gear sets back and forth at different speeds and they used computers to figure out exactly what size shims needed to be installed and they were accurate to .001 inch. After they were built with the correct shims they then went to the sound room rollers where they were once again run forward and backward at several varrying speeds in a very quiet enviornment to check for gear noise. It is a very exacting endevour. For somebody after market to work on them they would have to be a very exceptional person. If you find a good mechanic don't let him get away!

I don't mean to burst ur bubble but that "high tech" stuff can't be that accurate given we are all having the same problems lol.

+1 - Why did my factory diff grenade with only 800 miles on it?

I don't know but maybe the Torsen rear ends are made by a different company. I know my Saleen Extreme had a rear end made in Lakehurst N.J. instead of the Ford locker. I think I will find out if they make them at the Sterling plant or somewhere else. 800 miles, that sucks. You know when they talk about breaking a car in they don't mean BREAK it.

Archived