TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SVT Performance Package or NOT!

braztang

Hello All,

I have ordered a 2013 GT500 GB-White Stripes with electronic and 820A package (without the performance package)

Order can still be amended according to my dealer sales person, since it is still scheduled and no action has been taken (order send to SVT on August 15, 2012).

QUESTION:

Should I request them to add the performance package (821A) with the car? does it make any difference for a person who will never race in a track? or not?Should I spend the extra $3,495?

Thanks in advance for all inputs.

braztang

I ordered and received the same color combo.

Great choice.

I too was on the fence about the 821A package. After talking with the dealer, who is also a TS director, decided to go all out get everything except the glass roof.

I never had the intention of tracking the car initially, but after driving it, I am re-considering the track thing. Even if I go to the track once a year, I think its worth the rush.

The dealer also mentioned the potential re-sale value of the car with the package. :shrug:

You are already in at 60K +, no sense in squeezing pennies now.

You are going to love the car.

Good luck. And be patient.

Exactly as jnf is saying there is a resale value. Looking back I wish I got the track pack. I only got the performance pack but the trackpack and shaker were the only 2 options I didn't get (don't give a damn for that crappy woofer in my trunk).

But if your not going to get the performance pack then you should get a coil over suspension or airlift suspension. The benefit of airlift though is you can adjust the dampening force when ever you want like the electronic bilsteins, but you can also adjust the height at the push of a button.

I use the electronic bilsteins during my spirited driving though all the time on the street. After you come out of the sport mode the regular mode just feels loose. The car feels way better in sport mode, only downside is its bumpy.

I initially wasn't going to track my car but now after driving it I'm thinking of taking it once a year to the track. Plus if you think the SVTPP has a stiffer suspension compared to base think again. The normal mode is only SLIGHTLY stiffer than the regular suspension. Only if you are OCD like me will you even notice a difference. My sales guy couldn't but I could since I'm super OCD about these things.

I think my opinion on why you should get it has been well covered in other posts, but I will add, how often do you hear about people having serious regrets over getting too many options on their car? Worst case is you underutilize the benefits, but it will probably be more attractive in the resale market with all the performance options. If you are on the fence now, you might really regret not getting it. If you want to add it later it will probably cost more....so I say go for it!

I'll probably regret this post, but here goes.

The resale argument is pure BS to me. The only must have option on a 2013/14 GT500 is the 5.8 TVS blown engine. That engine is the entire reason the car exists and the primary reason that anyone is looking to buy one. None of us will ever have a problem selling our cars down the line if we choose to. Given that, spending an additional $3495 on an upgraded performance suspension that the OP doesn't plan to even use, makes absolutely no sense to me.

Unless of course, you are trying to tell me that he is going to get more than the price of the option ($3495) back at resale time. In that case, then we have an option that adds to resale value. Otherwise, he is spending $3495 to get $1000 back later on for an option he never used.

I ordered my car with all the bells and whistles, including 821A. I think today I would have gone without 821A. I never intend on tracking the car, and most importantly, I HATE the wheels, lol. Some may say just order another set of wheels, but Ford Parts requires that you get a 2nd mortgage on the house to afford them. But...to each his own.

The resale argument is pure BS to me. The only must have option on a 2013/14 GT500 is the 5.8 TVS blown engine. That engine is the entire reason the car exists and the primary reason that anyone is looking to buy one. None of us will ever have a problem selling our cars down the line if we choose to. Given that, spending an additional $3495 on an upgraded performance suspension that the OP doesn't plan to even use, makes absolutely no sense to me.

Unless of course, you are trying to tell me that he is going to get more than the price of the option ($3495) back at resale time. In that case, then we have an option that adds to resale value. Otherwise, he is spending $3495 to get $1000 back later on for an option he never used.

I wasn't saying you would get your money back...or even half of it. I'm just saying it makes it easier to sell if its loaded with every performance option. If these things are ever to get be "collectible", which I am not counting on, just remember the mach 1's from the 70's...the ones with the "drag pack" option bring a high premium.

All that resale and future value crap aside, my point was more about making yourself happy and insuring that you got what you really wanted. I find with my own experience and many that I read about that more people regret not getting an option and that can sting for a while or even result in selling the car due to being unhappy. But the other way, worst case is you paid 5% too much (3k on a 60k car). You might be able to live with that more easily than wishing you had ordered the option.

Like others have said here, do what works best for you. If you KNOW you are going to change the wheels, maybe it doesn't make sense. But for me, the Torsen diff and the adjustable shocks are a must have!

I agree...if you're not going to track the car why go for the SVT PP ....as far as resale it may make a diff 30 years down the road but not in

the short term.

With this particular car, not planning on tracking the car most likely change to tracking it occasionally once you drive it.

Plus, like TXCOBRA said, most people don't complain about having too many options.

Sport mode definitely stiffens the ride, but as my wife said, in normal mode, " this car rides so smooth, like a luxury car , I can't believe it "

Resale value, everyone has their own opinion. I don't think that not having the package will make the car less desirable in terms of resale.

If you can afford, then I would say go for it.

With this particular car, not planning on tracking the car most likely change to tracking it occasionally once you drive it.

Plus, like TXCOBRA said, most people don't complain about having too many options.

Sport mode definitely stiffens the ride, but as my wife said, in normal mode, " this car rides so smooth, like a luxury car , I can't believe it "

Resale value, everyone has their own opinion. I don't think that not having the package will make the car less desirable in terms of resale.

If you can afford, then I would say go for it.

Rides like a luxury car? What luxury cars has she been in because this car in normal definitely doesn't ride as a luxury car lol. Perhaps this was in a ZL1? :)

I think what the other person was saying as far as resale value with more options is not so much on a return on investment point of view is that probably more cars with the performance pack are desired over base cars. I know the majority of people rather have more OEM tech in their car than aftermarket or no tech. The exceptions would obviously be the ones who can't afford it or plan on doing some crazy suspension themselves like coil overs.

I say go for it. What's it going to do to your payments? It will add a few bucks. If you have the money and are not stretching yourself too thin I would say you can't afford not to go with it. I have every option on my car including the car cover, louveres and scoops, SVTPP, Track Pack, Electronics Pack, Recaros, Shaker Pro but did not get the glass roof. My daughter is already drooling and waiting for me to drop dead so she can get the Saleen Extreme, the James Bond T-Bird and the Shelby GT500. Might as well make sure she likes her inheritance. :hysterical2:

Rides like a luxury car? What luxury cars has she been in because this car in normal definitely doesn't ride as a luxury car lol. Perhaps this was in a ZL1? :)

Ok. Maybe she's been riding in and driving my 07 too much.

But the 13 does have a decent ride in normal mode.

Anyway, if I was to do it again, I would go for it all over again. No looking back.

UNFORTUNATELLY, no major changes allowed, the SVTPP is concise red a full package and if dealer changes it, it will start all over again as a brand new order!

I will be happy with base model, as some of you advised, it is no need!

Thanks all,

Regards,

Braztang

Ok. Maybe she's been riding in and driving my 07 too much.

But the 13 does have a decent ride in normal mode.

Anyway, if I was to do it again, I would go for it all over again. No looking back.

When I came from my old mustang I thought this car rode like a luxury one too lol

I agree it certainly will not help resale $3495 so that argumment is out the door.

I would probably get it, but those wheels would be gone before I got it home, I am not a fan of them at all. I might even pass on the option all together just because of the wheels.

UNFORTUNATELY, no major changes allowed, the SVT PP is concise red a full package and if dealer changes it, it will start all over again as a brand new order!

Thanks all,

Regards,

Braztang

I don't think that is true, check with another dealer or maybe one of the dealer members here will help clarify this. It is my understanding that you can change any option up until it is picked up for production.

You can change anything on the car untill your order is pulled.

The sales man said the same as you, however when we consulted with the Owner of the Dealership, we went into the system to do the mod and the system retunred that it is not possible in the same order because it is a performance package, then he called in SOMEONE and they advised that anything can be changed when it is NOT a major package like the SVTPP, however they could re assign the build and do it, but would be a new order in the same allocation and would start from today!

Now I am confused if it is all true or not, even though it seemed a logical explanation.

Any thoughts from experienced poeple out there?

thanks

braztang

UNFORTUNATELLY, no major changes allowed, the SVTPP is concise red a full package and if dealer changes it, it will start all over again as a brand new order!

Thanks all,

Regards,

Braztang

Congrats Braz it's an awesome car which ever way you order it...enjoy!!!!....... :peelout:

When I test drove one with SVTPP, the ride was too harsh for my liking in daily driving with no plans to track the car. I don't care for the look if the wheels either, so I saved the $ and left it off my order. I'm VERY glad I took this approach. I think you will be too. If you ever get serious about tracking, then you can beef up thee suspension, wheels and tires to your liking. Good luck and enjoy!

I don't understand this comment. With a push of a button, the suspension is set to normal and the ride isn't as firm as a non SVTPP equipped car.

Oops. Sorry guys. Mine is a '12 which doesn't have the adjustable shocks. My bad. So if the '13 with SVTPP can be even smoother than a non-SVT PP '12, well that's a great accomplishment by Ford. In that case, maybe I'd lean back to getting the SVTPP option. Ugh, if only I could've waited one more year. But no complaints - I'm very content with my '12.

I would go with the SVT performance pack because you get the better Torsen rear end setup which is quiet at lows speeds. The base has a clutch setup that will with time and age start to make noise at low speeds which to correct you have to do fiqure 8's in a parking lot and it will come back. Some times adding more friction modifier will fix it for a short time. So to me the SVT performance pack is worth it the torsen rear end makes allot less noise.

Archived