TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Build Date To Delivery Date Riddle Semi-Solved

Squirrel 007

I found out today why Shelby's are built then seem to get lost in area 51. Who would have ever thought. It seems that the cars are built without stripes on them. If you order stripe delete your car goes right into the shipping pipeline waiting for a rail car or truck transport heading your way. But here is the kicker, if you ordered your vehicle with stripes it goes into waiting to get shipped to another location to have the stripes installed. It then awaits shipping back to area 51. Once there it finally enters the que awaiting rail or truck transport. The fog is finally lifting a little on this shipping enigma! :worship::woot:

This was from my salesman who said the process usually takes two weeks. I worked for 36 years at the Ford Sterling Axle plant in Sterling Heights Michigan as an electrician and have friends that work at Flat Rock. I have avoided bothering them but now you make me itch to contact them. Guess I will break down and get the info from them to make sure. This stuff is enough to make your head spin in circles until it falls off. :headspin:

Never trust a salesman. Most of them are too lazy to research these cars and have no problem making crap up. I have talked to several (3) salesmen that are positive all the GT500's are Mustang GT's that have to be shipped from MI to Shelby in Las Vegas for the conversion to Shelby GT500's.

Iceman,

Are the stripes applied at Mustang VPC in the Woodhaven facility across the street from the Flat Rock plant or are they done at the Flat Rock facility?

I believe thats the name of it. I know its across the street, and I know it is an outside contractor, and they have the capacity of 50 cars per day, although the usually do less than that. They also do Boss 302 and regular mustang striping.

I am at the plant 4 or 5 days a week since 2004. I deal specifically with rail transportration. I toured the plant for the 12th time in July (Vendor/supplier tour), Ive got a pretty good idea what I'm talking about.

Where were you a month ago when I was trying to get one shaken loose out of Ramp 51?

No worries, I wound up doing OK as it is... :D

New to the board, and a 2013 owner myself with a VERY long history of Mustangs. If you have a VIN I will happily send you the current location and status of your car. PM me if interested.

I believe thats the name of it. I know its across the street, and I know it is an outside contractor, and they have the capacity of 50 cars per day, although the usually do less than that. They also do Boss 302 and regular mustang striping.

weird question, but i want to ask: what is the name of that "outside contractor"? can that "outside contractor" be contacted directly to have a stripe color applied that Ford does not offer in combo with a different color seat accent color? in other words, white seat accents must be accompanied by white stripes. do you think it's possible to deal directly with that "outside contractor" to for example have black stripes put on a car with white seat accents? (even if they would charge something extra to do that)

• 1 month later...

After the car reaches the carriers yard it can still take a while to get a complete load. The train doesn't leave until the load is full. It then took from Oct. 3 until Oct 9 to reach Newark NJ. There it was put on a trailer and driven to the dealer.

So i was told October 1st that i had a build date set for the week of Oct. 22. Called last week and they said my car was in the plant awaiting production. Called Monday (the 22nd) and was told the same thing basicaly, that it will be produced this week.

Today I call and - "it is completed and awaiting shipment" !!! I ask - what about the stripes? I thought they took another week. The SVT rep then told me - you car was in the plant on the 15th, went to TRIM on the 17th, to the body shop on the 19th, and then was produced to completion on the 23rd, and is now awaiting rail shipment to Grapevine, Tx. I wonder if the stripes were applied prior to it rolling down the assembly line?

I thanked the guy for all the cool info, hopefully it will make it here in 10-14 days.

So i was told October 1st that i had a build date set for the week of Oct. 22. Called last week and they said my car was in the plant awaiting production. Called Monday (the 22nd) and was told the same thing basicaly, that it will be produced this week.

Today I call and - "it is completed and awaiting shipment" !!! I ask - what about the stripes? I thought they took another week. The SVT rep then told me - you car was in the plant on the 15th, went to TRIM on the 17th, to the body shop on the 19th, and then was produced to completion on the 23rd, and is now awaiting rail shipment to Grapevine, Tx. I wonder if the stripes were applied prior to it rolling down the assembly line?

I thanked the guy for all the cool info, hopefully it will make it here in 10-14 days.

My car was built Oct 1st. My dealer is only 50 miles from the assembly plant. It is a one hour drive on a transport truck, freeway all the way. Apparently they must be lost because it is still not anywhere to be found. So it has been sitting for almost a month now! Not a big deal to go 50 miles. Makes me wonder just what the heck they are doing?

UPDATE: I just called SVT after posting. The car is still awaiting shipment. I hope you don't have to wait so dang long.

My car was built Oct 1st. My dealer is only 50 miles from the assembly plant. It is a one hour drive on a transport truck, freeway all the way. Apparently they must be lost because it is still not anywhere to be found. So it has been sitting for almost a month now! Not a big deal to go 50 miles. Makes me wonder just what the heck they are doing?

UPDATE: I just called SVT after posting. The car is still awaiting shipment. I hope you don't have to wait so dang long.

A friend of mine here in town got our dealers 1st allocation (mine is the 2nd). He was built Oct. 3rd. Vechicle made it West Texas on the 15th and he took delivery 3 days ago. SUCKS that your car was built before his and he got his by train, and tractor trailer in less time. Something seems amiss......

Squirrel, Do you have to pay the $795 delivery fee?

Try calling Auto Road Services, they are the trucking company that handles deliveries from Flat Rock. (734) 671-4266 You should have your VIN ready.

Yes, I still pay the $795 delivery fee. That phone number is a fax number.

One more

Auto Port Ltd

734-789-1752

Ok that one worked. Weird, they say they are the holding company for shipping and that they just got the car today. They say it was probably a checked vehicle (Quality) and they probably found something wrong and they just got it fixed. Say they will mark it as "hot" and to call back tomorrow when they can give me exact shipping details. Thanks a ton Snoopy49!

I just got off the phone with SVT. Originally my car was scheduled for production the week of the 22nd. It was actually produced on the 19th and is already in transit. As of today it's in Ohio. P.S., my car had stripes. I know there's been mention of that slowing things up. He said "It shouldn't be long now."

From the inside guy we have over on the Boss forum Ramp "Area" 51 is really a big parking lot where cars go post production that need further work. In the case of the Boss and Shelby it can be stripes. The Boss needs to go to the "Mod Shop" where it gets "bossed" so a car can make multiple trips to Ramp 51 before it finally moves to the transportation ramp and ships. It's also a "bad place" where cars go that have issues that need to be resolved but they need them out of the way and out of the building. You get the idea.

From the inside guy we have over on the Boss forum Ramp "Area" 51 is really a big parking lot where cars go post production that need further work. In the case of the Boss and Shelby it can be stripes. The Boss needs to go to the "Mod Shop" where it gets "bossed" so a car can make multiple trips to Ramp 51 before it finally moves to the transportation ramp and ships. It's also a "bad place" where cars go that have issues that need to be resolved but they need them out of the way and out of the building. You get the idea.

Hopefully then, even being built on a Friday, there's no issues, because it shipped right out.

I know when I talked to Auto Port Ltd. they said they just got my car on Thursday the 25th. That means it took 25 days between the build and getting ready for shipping. Who knows why? But when I talked to them at 2:30PM Thursday they said they would mark it as "Hot" in the computer. Early the next morning it was at the dealer. Of course that was only 50 miles and no train involved.

That "inside guy" must have his head inside something. Every Ford I ordered in the last 2 years, 3 cars total, and not mustangs have been in area 51 before shipping. Sorry guys, its a waiting area, and nothing else

That "inside guy" must have his head inside something. Every Ford I ordered in the last 2 years, 3 cars total, and not mustangs have been in area 51 before shipping. Sorry guys, its a waiting area, and nothing else

Yea, Bosses get "Bossed" on the normal assembly line, except for stripes. Cars only go to Ramp51 once, unless they are pulled for a QC issue.

Ramp 51 only exist at Flatrock.

Area 51 exist at every plant.

Archived