TEAM SHELBY FORUM

8.5 Qtr capacity, but 7.5 Qtr for oil change?

2013Shelby

I alway prefill also when I can, its all in the details and the little things that help.

Ever since back in the day when I had a couple of Turbo Gran Nationals, I always pre-filled the oil filters. Same with the Detroit Diesels in my boat. It's probably not as important on our cars; but, on the turbo's, they run dry for a second or two before the oil pressure comes up. If memory serves me right, the Buick's turbo oil feed came right after the filter. And as fast as a turbo spins, you definitely don't want them spinning dry. Habit now; but, I prefill the filter on everything I own. Except my Mercury 4 stroke outboard, the damn thing is installed upside down! Good luck pre-filling that!

Gentlemen: Since you all probably don't believe my assistant knows much about filters, consider this when deciding whether or not to pre-fill your oil filters. The purpose of the anti-drain back valves that are on most oil filters today is as follows:

"Anti-Drainback Valve. Some oil filter mountings may allow oil to drain out of the filter through the oil pump when the engine is stopped. When the engine is next started, oil must refill the filter before full oil pressure reaches the engine. The anti-drainback valve, included in the filter when required, prevents oil from draining out of the filter. This anti-drainback valve is actually a rubber flap that covers the inside of the inlet holes of the filter. When the oil pump starts pumping oil, the pressure will unseat the flap. The purpose of this valve is to keep the oil filter filed at all times, so when the engine is started there will be an almost instantaneous supply of oil to the engine." (Quote is from this link: http://www.theautoch...ut/filters.html

Another quote from the same article: "Note On Dry Starts: If a vehicle has not been operated for several days or after oil and filter change, some oil may have drained from the filter in spite of the special valves. This is why it is always a good idea to start the engine slowly, letting it run on idle for 30-60 seconds so the lubrication system will be fully charged with oil before a heavy load is placed on the engine."

The filter on late model Shelby's is installed vertically so, the drain back valve makes no difference after the filter is filled. However, the point is that the device is designed to provide an immediate oil supply to the engine to prevent pre-mature wear of some components. I recall an example of the difference it makes on an old Blazer I had years ago. I was getting some engine noise (clatter) at start up that went away after a few seconds. I switched from the standard filter (no anti-drain back valve) to a newer filter with an anti-drain back valve at my dealerships suggestion. Cured the problem instantly. No clatter on start up.

IngotSilverSnake

Do the filters for our car even have a "Anti-Drainback Valve"?

Yes -- If you buy the Motorcraft FL-820S Filter specified by Ford for our cars (See description at this link: http://www.autozone....entifier=140249) Most aftermarket filters also have them. However, since the filters install vertically, the only time you have to worry about starting on a dry filter is after an oil and filter change. You can fix that problem by pre-filling the oil filter before installation.

I recall an example of the difference it makes on an old Blazer I had years ago. I was getting some engine noise (clatter) at start up that went away after a few seconds. I switched from the standard filter (no anti-drain back valve) to a newer filter with an anti-drain back valve at my dealerships suggestion. Cured the problem instantly. No clatter on start up.

So that would be the wait for the hydraulic lifters to pump up and in the seconds you wait for that to happen the push rods are clanging against the rocker arms? That would be a little noisy and nerve-racking. Of course solid lifters would prevent that problem I believe.

I solved this with SVT recently. The track pack's oil cooler & lines hold & keeps 1 used qt that does not drain when draining the pan, so an oil refill takes 8.5 qts with or w/o the track pack.

No problem w/o the track pack, but 10%+ used oil stays in track pack equipped GT500's. I wish there was some way to change all 9.5 qts w/TP!

The way to get that excess oil out with the track pack is to drain the oil and with the plug out run the engine for 5-10 minutes to purge the cooler and lines. This ought to empty the entire system.

The way to get that excess oil out with the track pack is to drain the oil and with the plug out run the engine for 5-10 minutes to purge the cooler and lines. This ought to empty the entire system.

Hold on there....these guys are worried about running their engines for the two seconds it takes to fill the oil filter up after an oil change when you start the engine. They would rather shoot themselves in the head before allowing the engine to run dry for 10 minutes. That would surely screw up something. :banghead::finger::slapfight::club::fan::boxing: :hammer_self:

Careful, someone will take this seriously. Just change the oil as normal.

I see you are the owner of DiBlasi Ford. I think I would pass on having your service department change the oil in my car.

I hope this is a joke..a poor one but a JOKE!!

Hell no !!! :redcard:

Is this a procedure recommended by FORD??

If so, I would like to see it in the tech manual.

Oh, yeah, and don't forget to fill the crankcase with 8.5 quarts of turpentine and run 'er for about 100 miles just to be extra sure you got all the goo out before refilling with the factory spec oil.

:barf:

This would cause way more problems than to just leave the used qt in the TP! I stopped thinking about this concern after talking to SVT about it. I recommend that anyone still concerned to call SVT or to just get over it like I did. All things will be imperfect on some level!

Thats what I thought.

What part of town are you at??

Haven't seen your car around, but I haven't been out much with the car.

I'm in Henderson near Boulder City. They have a cars and coffee Sat morning on Eastern. I go there sometimes.

• 1 year later...

Thanks all you out there, I spent 1 1/2 hours waiting to get my oil change done at my local ford dealer before finding out the parts dept was open, bought the correct oil and filter. I found some valuable info out there. Going to tackle it sunday. Thanks again mike. Race Red GT 500. (PS any body out there lowered the rear of the 500 )

2 or more seconds of no oil pressure to a high HP precision engine started cold at high rpm X how many times you change your oil with out filling the filter. I've been filling mine since my first change at 16. Seems like a no-brainer to me. You don't mind running your engine without oil pressure for the minimal effort of pouring oil into the filter?? Remind me not to ever buy one of your used cars.

Archived