TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil Separator

662HP631TQ

The oil separator is mounted down stream of the PCV valve, so it doesn't effect the lube of the valve. SVT13 was suggesting that any oil that got by the oil separator was beneficial to something downstream of the oil separator.

My question is, what part or parts, located downstream of the oil separator, benefit from the oil that gets past the separator?

The oil separator is mounted down stream of the PCV valve, so it doesn't effect the lube of the valve. SVT13 was suggesting that any oil that got by the oil separator was beneficial to something downstream of the oil separator.

My question is, what part or parts, located downstream of the oil separator, benefit from the oil that gets past the separator?

Quote from the article:

"The long life of the valve despite the harsh operating environment is due to the trace amount of oil droplets suspended in the air that flows through the valve. These droplets keep the valve lubricated. This means that you probably shouldn’t remove all oil before the PCV valve and fortunately, most oil catch cans are placed in-line after the PCV valve. "

I guess you are saying that all Shelby catch cans are placed after the PCV. Good to know.

It was for lube and also just not needed. As someone else already stated if they put a catch can or whatever thats just one more service step for the customer to forget to do and would cause problems. Plus do you see ANY car running around with a catch can? I've never seen one on a stock car.

NA engines do not need CC's, turbo & especially SC engines appear to need a CC due to the PCV output contaminating the non-boost areas of the air intake after the point of PVC output insertion. If any lube is needed on the non-boost side of the air input, the full PCV output seems excessive.

For those that want to eliminate oil contamination completely.

This would be an easy fix for SC intake contamination & reversible for eventual smog certification in CA, but won't the blow-by oil coat the engine & bay? NO WAY!

THAT WAS A LOT OF READING!!!

SO after reading that, nothing on the market is truly effective. I am so confused anyhow. I am probably not going to buy that piece, and the most likely scenario is I am not going to regret it.

I guess that is my battle to lose!

That was just one line from this BIG thread on this subject:

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1735

I'm not confused anymore, just undecided how to proceed!

This is a Lightning intercooler, if this doesn't convince you to use a good oil separator, nothing will.

Picture from Jroc at SVTPerformance.com

LightningSCIntercooler-Dirty.jpg

Thanks for posting this picture. People here are to concerned over whether oil separators increase engine life or not. That's not really what oil separators are about. They help performance by reducing detonation caused by oil reducing octane in the intake. They also help keep your intake/inter cooler cleaner, which also helps cooling and performance.

Snoopy49, are you using the breather that was shown in the above video? I'm just curious if the breather alone would stop the gunk buildup on a stock GT500. There seem to be so many opinions about the proper catch can for us to use that my eyes glass over which results in my doing nothing. The breather looks like it would take the place of a CC, is that an accurate assumption?

I just figured out what a CC was, it's a catch can, it must be the oldtimers kicking in early. :rolleyes: The oil separator is a catch can that is vented to the intake. It's purpose is to remove as much oil as possible, it doesn't remove 100%, but it is a lot better than no separator.

I don't have my car yet, but I intend to buy one of Bob's separators for the passenger side as soon as I get a build date for my car. I am not sold on the need for one on the drivers side. I will monitor the vent line on the drivers side for oil buildup and adjust my needs according to my findings.

• 2 months later...

Archived