TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Vinyl Stripe Maintenance

Tikigrill

The Shelby I've ordered will be here in a few weeks and I have no idea how to handle the stripes. I'm a bit of a perfectionist with cleaning and maintaining cars but I have no experience with vinyl stripes. Can you polish/wax over them or is it best to avoid them except for washing? Any info in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thank guys!!!

Yes you should put a good coat of wax on the stripes, never let a high power washer near them and they will be fine. If you end up with a problem where they start to come off Ford will replace them free but if you take care of them this will not happen.

Im in the detailing business and have been since 1992. Go ahead and wax them using a liquid wax. Don't was a paste. Keep a micro fiber towel in the truck along with some quick detailer. If you get anything on them spray it with the quick detailer. Let it sit for a couple of minuts then wipe them off. Also spray the micro fiber with the quick detailer before you wipe them off. If you have the matte black stripes use soap and water in a spray bottle and keep that in the truck as well. you can try the liquid wax on the matte black stripes in an area that won't be seen. They shouldn't get shiny. Sometimes they might get shiny depending on the wax you use. If they get shiny then just wash them off and they should be fine. Hope this helps you out.

*note on the matte black stripes. Try a test area before waxing the whole stripe thus to make sure it doesnt get glossy. We have waxed them before and the don't get shiny but will look a little brighter or have a slight shine to them. again try a little spot before doing the whole stripe. As far as the rest of the color stripes. Go ahead and wax away.

Guys, thanks for all the info. The car is gray with the matte black stripes so I'm a little bit concerned about them getting a shine. I use Griot's products and I always carry around speed shine in the trunk. I figured that would be fine. But I'd really like to do a serious once over when the car arrives. I plan to do the clay then wax. I'll avoid the stripes with the orbital and stick with the liquids. Thanks again!

If you end up with a problem where they start to come off Ford will replace them free but if you take care of them this will not happen.

How the hell have you gotten Ford to replace YOUR stripes? I'm some $600 deep into ridiculously-priced replacement sections despite exhibiting the utmost caution in their care.

how do you get the water spots off the stripes

CLR will take water spots off anything. Wet a sponge, poor a little CLR on the sponge. Then wipe the stripes a couple of times then hit it with soapy water and wash and rinse. Repeat if need be. Then apply a coat of liquid wax to them. CLR is environmently friendly. Do a test spot first.

denohew, why wouldn't I wax the car? It was built a week ago and isn't supposed to arrive for another month. That plenty of time for the paint to cure and harden. It'll be sitting outside in the shipping hard for month. I feel like I should restore it a bit.

How the hell have you gotten Ford to replace YOUR stripes? I'm some $600 deep into ridiculously-priced replacement sections despite exhibiting the utmost caution in their care.

On my lower stripe by the GT500 it started to peel I took it to Freehold ford's body shop and they replaced it free no questions asked, who wouldn't replace yours?

Body shops usually tell people not to wax their cars for about 3-4 months after they are done painting. That is because their paint booths only go up to 140 degrees to cure the paint. In the factory, they cure the paint at about 200 degrees to give it a much shorter cure time. So waxing your car after you get it is not a problem.

On my lower stripe by the GT500 it started to peel I took it to Freehold ford's body shop and they replaced it free no questions asked, who wouldn't replace yours?

Ah. Now I see. It was the dealer who must've eaten the cost - as the stripes are generally something dealers won't submit for warranty. The cost of the individual sections is sickening.

Ah. Now I see. It was the dealer who must've eaten the cost - as the stripes are generally something dealers won't submit for warranty. The cost of the individual sections is sickening.

I thought I read somewhere that the cost for a complete stripe kit was about $2000. Any truth to that rumor?

I thought I read somewhere that the cost for a complete stripe kit was about $2000. Any truth to that rumor?

Absolutely. Even among the cheapest sources, it's well north of $2K. The SVTPP stripe kit is about $1,600 - being cheaper overall because each segment includes BOTH left and right stripes. The standard 10"-11" stripes are sold as individual pieces, by segment AND side - with (I believe) 26 individual part numbers in all.

The most maddening are the 3" sections that cost $80.

If the dealer had not replaced my stripe for free I would have removed all the tape and had the stripe painted on,regardless of cost.

If you do end up waxing your stripes, make sure there are no water spots on them before waxing. They will be a pain to try and get out after you wax. I know many people use quick detailer on the matte stripes and they don't look shiney.

Lots of opinions on this. I never wax my matte stripes. Quick detailer from day 1 and they look brand new.

My 2011 with black stripes is a daily driver and sits outside. So far the thing I've found that works best for water spots and returning my stripes to looking new is 303® Aerospace Protectant. It really "re-blackens" my stripes and gets rid of the water spots. I'm not saying it's something you spray on once a year and forget about it like many of the polish/cleaning products would have you to believe, but I spray them once a week or so as they get dirty and it gets rid of the water spots and refreshes them. You can get it at many RV/boat places.

Bill, I have also used the 303 product on my hot tub cover and the convertible top of my previous Mustang, it is a great product, just a little pricey.

You're right, David. But I haven't found anything else that works as good on vinyl stripes for a car that's not garaged and sits in the sun most of the day .... and I've tried nearly everything I can find. I'm going to start just buying it by the gallon at an RV place near me. The 16 oz spray bottle ($14.95) lasts me about three months.

• 1 month later...

Archived