TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby oil separator

jnf

Was looking at other separators on the market and came across this...

http://diablosport.shptron.com/p/c1060-11-13-6-4l-392-hemi-cars-catch-can?pp=8

I'm one of those that are just lurking as well because taking up company business on a public forum is a terrible way to promote your company and I didn't want to really get into it, but the above links got me thinking. I know that there are many intelligent folks posting and "lurking" in this thread so you can decided for yourselves. But, for the record, where did the JLT idea come from?

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just LURKING .. BS .. I have invested $10000 into my Shelby with minimum Shelby Logo Parts... Threads like this .. Helps me decide which Companies to buy from and WHICH ONE(s) TO STAY AWAY FROM.....Bruce

See- I stand corrected. There are TWO very positive things you can take from a thread like this!! I like this positivity guys!! It reminds me of Donald Sutherland in Kelly's Heroes! Keep it comin! :wub2:

But, for the record, where did the JLT idea come from?

Im standing by my original guess, that he was sitting around staring at his weed grinder, and thought...."wow man, that would look so cool if I could mount it somewhere in an engine bay!"

Came across this too...

http://billettechnology.com/bt/news/the-original-catch-can/

So once again, where did the JLT design idea come from?

Maybe he saw a catch can somewhere and decided to design one that guys like us can install on our cars in like 30 seconds, with no tools... I really don't think he is saying he invented the catch can, just that Shelby basically copied his version of it...

I really don't think he is saying he invented the catch can, just that Shelby basically copied his version of it...

I 100% agree with that, but it appears that JLT took a lot of their design from the Billet Technology piece. If that is true I don't see how JLT can complain about their design being copied. It doesn't appear that JLT is a squeaky clean company itself.

Submitted without comment - single-point threading the head (cap) side of a SA oil separator filmed in real time using a Flip HD camera. filmed 8/19/13

Machine: Doosan 220LM Mill-turn

Spindle: 2" thru-bore capacity

Chuck: Samchully 7"

Thread size: 1 3/4"-12

We actually filmed the entire process, but would like to edit down some of the repetitive routines and basically "clean it up" a bit before posting the complete video.

Came across this too...

I do not know, but I am friends with the owner of Billet Technology, they are well known in the Dodge market. They are a couple hours south of us, and we have a good relationship with one another, actually promoting one-another's websites and products to our customers that "jump ship" for the other brand. They were aware we were producing this as well going back to 5/2012 and were cool with it. We are still friends, and we still talk with one another regularly. Amazing how that can happen!

BTW - if you read the page about their separator, the company they are referring to most is another "known" name in the Mustang world that does not play well with others, and has been sued successfully in the past for such transgressions.

If anyone here is serious about oil catch cans, take some time and review the links below. Once there, there are other links to Conceptual Polymer, a company that really understands oil catch cans and has a product much superior to JTL, Silver Horse or the other catch cans.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/54578-oil-separators-or-catch-cans/

Here is a link to Conceptual Polymer:

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/new_page_1.htm

Here is link if you want to learn about catch cans. Maybe Tucker and his boys should give it a look.

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/PCV%20Line%20Oil%20Removal%20102.pdf

Came across this too...

Good question and even further, when did JLT's can become available, prior to or after Aug 2007?

Any thought's Jay?

Just trying to get some clarity.....

Just took my separator off today to check how it was doing.

Haven't had much of a summer since I put the separator on the car, maybe ran it around 250 miles or so.

Mostly made runs to nearby car events, with the occasional highway sprint.

The oil in the bottom was 3/8" deep, enough for me to be happy that it did not go through the blower.

Cleaned it all out and plan on going to the strip soon to get in some runs, that is if the weather holds out.

Separator.jpg

I have not said anything but as of now I am very happy with what my Shelby separator has been catching, It has been a welcome surprise. Will have bit more testing tomorrow.

I have a Shelby unit as well, and the 2 screens are the method they use to scavenge the oil from the pcv venting.

The white round part is a (nylon?) spacer used to support the screens and o-rings at the required height, to seat/seal against the top piece of the separator when assembled.

I went with their unit because it looks sharp, fits nicely under my KR style strut tower brace, has minimal flow restriction for the pcv vent gasses, and a separating system that should not (potentially) break down and enter the intake tract.

Obviously there are numerous several types/brands available, so lack of choice is not an issue.

I would definitely recommend running a separator, as long as you are satisfied that the one you choose meets the last 2 important criteria.

That amount of oil I captured is the result of my typical summer driving on the street, with most of it being city driving.

I imagine the results from runs at the strip will be significantly more, usually I get in 20+ passes when I do go out for a test and tune day.

Either way you look at it, you don't want that much oil needlessly dumping into your blower.

• 9 months later...

Lol

+1

Jer

• 3 years later...

Well I just purchased a 2007 GT500 and I ordered the JLT 3.0 oil separator for the passenger side only. Speaking of oil, what brand does everyone run? I'm looking at Amsoil and Motul. My Shelby has 21,000 miles. If there is a thread for the great oil debate, please point me in the right direction.

I use the JLT 3.0 oil separator on my 2010 GT500 and it works great. I use Ford's Motor craft fully synthetic oil and it works great and I'm a daily driver. I have been thinking of using Royal Purple to see how that would work.

On 1/30/2018 at 7:57 AM, iceman33 said:

I use the JLT 3.0 oil separator on my 2010 GT500 and it works great. I use Ford's Motor craft fully synthetic oil and it works great and I'm a daily driver. I have been thinking of using Royal Purple to see how that would work.

Does your 2010 call for 5w-50 oil? Royal Purple doesn't make that specific weight.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:41 PM, Jason Silva said:

Does your 2010 call for 5w-50 oil? Royal Purple doesn't make that specific weight.

Yeah your right, guess I'll stick with Ford's oil for now.

Oh, and I have the Ford Racing oil filter. I also have a Royal Purple filter. WIX now makes a synthetic specific oil filter, but my local parts store didn't have any in stock. The Ford filter was $20.78. Kinda spendy. I think the Royal Purple cost me around 12 bucks. 

On 1/30/2018 at 7:57 AM, iceman33 said:

FYI, the Amsoil Signature Series 5W-50 has this Ford spec on the back of the bottle: Ford WSS-M2C931-C (Mustang)

14 hours ago, Jason Silva said:

FYI, the Amsoil Signature Series 5W-50 has this Ford spec on the back of the bottle: Ford WSS-M2C931-C (Mustang)

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out

Archived