TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby oil separator

jnf

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's "proprietary" and unique until we make public we use a 1 3/4-12 pitch for SA and SHR, then it is "almost proprietary". A coarser thread requires a different thread insert from what we use on other jobs, but no worries... if your machine shop tells you it is special, and you believe them, then by all means have fun with that. We however are the "machine shop" so I can tell you we can run any thread we choose to, as everything we do on the separators is "single point" threaded both on the ID and OD, as well as the fittings. (Just as an aside, tool inserts normally have a range of threads they will produce, like from 20-28, 11-16, etc...)

Then it's the same shape until its not. The 90 degree flow heads to eliminate the plastic elbows you used are also just "copies" of a design you don't even produce??

Then it's the same airflow design until its not. Then you drip liquid oil into a system not designed to capture liquid oil and claim failure where there is not since we do not design to capture liquid oil, and honestly you should not either.

Then it's the same filter until its not (our design does not even use one)...then only your filter design is "acceptable" even though it is a part straight out of the Dorman / Ford catalog originally meant for the pushrod 5.0.

See a pattern?

It seems strange that every time there is something "proprietary" that has been supposedly copied it is disproven, then it is not so special and there is backpedaling to the next point brought up. You take our lack of participation as a sign of weakness, when in reality there is just nothing of value to add to the discussion, and since I'm not really into making personal attacks in public, the discussion is obviously pretty one-sided.

We even recently took an attack on your company's FB page for "copying" pulleys among other things... of course when the simple fact came up that we were producing products to the prints of a major brand, well that just couldn't be the case. The pulleys we make for our own customers - designed in 2006, and have the drawings to prove it as well as dated photos of the original pieces, but no matter...we still must have copied whoever made the original idler pulley for a serpentine belt according to your "machine shop" as if a round disc with a bearing hole in the center is a new and unique idea... we were also called out for having no original ideas even though we hold two US patents and have more on the way, but we are the "big bad guy who can afford it" even though our company is smaller than yours! Strange...

When however your company was asked about the similarity between your product and a patented product of another company that has been around for almost 15 years longer than yours, suddenly it became an argument of "well if he had a case he'd have sued us" (discounting that maybe the owner of the patent simply did not want another patent fight after the one they had with another company) up until the point when you banned the person (not us) who brought it up and deleted all their posts along with the US Patent # in question.

Let me just say this... for the most part we just have taken a lot of this because its really not worth getting worked up over - it's a single product in a relatively large product catalog, one of many that we make for SA. You however are single-handedly making everyone aware not only of your ability to personally attack anyone who disagrees with you who is not even party to the dispute, but also that there are many alternatives to your product available, ours and SA's being just one of many even though we do not even have ours on our website for sale at this time. You also have shown that you really don't have that good of a handle on your product's design, other than what you are told by the shop that actually produces it for you, yet you claim you designed it, yet another story that seems to be unraveling the further we read.

It's "proprietary" and unique until we make public we use a 1 3/4-12 pitch for SA and SHR, then it is "almost proprietary". A coarser thread requires a different thread insert from what we use on other jobs, but no worries... if your machine shop tells you it is special, and you believe them, then by all means have fun with that. We however are the "machine shop" so I can tell you we can run any thread we choose to, as everything we do on the separators is "single point" threaded both on the ID and OD, as well as the fittings. (Just as an aside, tool inserts normally have a range of threads they will produce, like from 20-28, 11-16, etc...)

Then it's the same shape until its not. The 90 degree flow heads to eliminate the plastic elbows you used are also just "copies" of a design you don't even produce??

Then it's the same airflow design until its not. Then you drip liquid oil into a system not designed to capture liquid oil and claim failure where there is not since we do not design to capture liquid oil, and honestly you should not either.

Then it's the same filter until its not (our design does not even use one)...then only your filter design is "acceptable" even though it is a part straight out of the Dorman / Ford catalog originally meant for the pushrod 5.0.

See a pattern?

It seems strange that every time there is something "proprietary" that has been supposedly copied it is disproven, then it is not so special and there is backpedaling to the next point brought up. You take our lack of participation as a sign of weakness, when in reality there is just nothing of value to add to the discussion, and since I'm not really into making personal attacks in public, the discussion is obviously pretty one-sided.

We even recently took an attack on your company's FB page for "copying" pulleys among other things... of course when the simple fact came up that we were producing products to the prints of a major brand, well that just couldn't be the case. The pulleys we make for our own customers - designed in 2006, and have the drawings to prove it as well as dated photos of the original pieces, but no matter...we still must have copied whoever made the original idler pulley for a serpentine belt according to your "machine shop" as if a round disc with a bearing hole in the center is a new and unique idea... we were also called out for having no original ideas even though we hold two US patents and have more on the way, but we are the "big bad guy who can afford it" even though our company is smaller than yours! Strange...

When however your company was asked about the similarity between your product and a patented product of another company that has been around for almost 15 years longer than yours, suddenly it became an argument of "well if he had a case he'd have sued us" (discounting that maybe the owner of the patent simply did not want another patent fight after the one they had with another company) up until the point when you banned the person (not us) who brought it up and deleted all their posts along with the US Patent # in question.

Let me just say this... for the most part we just have taken a lot of this because its really not worth getting worked up over - it's a single product in a relatively large product catalog, one of many that we make for SA. You however are single-handedly making everyone aware not only of your ability to personally attack anyone who disagrees with you who is not even party to the dispute, but also that there are many alternatives to your product available, ours and SA's being just one of many even though we do not even have ours on our website for sale at this time. You also have shown that you really don't have that good of a handle on your product's design, other than what you are told by the shop that actually produces it for you, yet you claim you designed it, yet another story that seems to be unraveling the further we read.

Touche` :stirpot::lurk:

One vote for the Shelby Separator (or at least the box it came in).

If JLT wants to send me one of their boxes, I will have Ripley check it out :)

Cool cat!

Jer

• 2 weeks later...

Your too smart to BS that one. Your parts SHOULD not thread on to mine as smooth as they do and you know it. My machine shop isn't corupt like yourself, so I stand behind what they do!

You added an option for a 90* fitting to work on the driver side for SA, but the driver side doesn't need one? Good job, but I'm talking about your exact copy fool.

A test is a test is a test and so far your Shelby unit failed Bob's test and mine, let's see your tests, LOL.

See a pattern?

No, not really magic man.

You don't use a filter but copied everything about ours that uses a filter, WHY? Please explain the step and sizes of the holes being exact??

LOL, are you crazy? You copied my part, your not a business man your a crook

Again, like your fighter on FB you know nothing. Lee @ C&L doesn't have a case as the 2 tubes are totally different in size and shape. You don't know about this either.

Not EXACT like your separator to mine, totally different!

You are a clown, your part is exactly like mine without a filter, you really should have copied it 100%.

Funny how you show your head in the only place on earth that thinks it's ok to knock off a product.

It's not over bud, you messed up and every will know it.

Amazing you would even defend stealing like this.

1002877_10151654202097155_441502911_n.jp

Funny, I saw this post just today on a non Shelby forum.

post-7689-0-78251400-1376686606_thumb.jpg

post-7689-0-78251400-1376686606_thumb.jpg

That post late on a Friday was so "full of awesome" I just have no idea where to begin... Really though, a bunch of name-calling like that is what got the thread at TMS locked in only 8 posts, hence why we can't go chasing you all over the Internet putting out your little fires, as much as you would enjoy that. Are you just craving some attention, or trying to do our advertising for us (and everyone else in this market) at the same time ?? Heck, even some people not involved on your company FB page have posted alternatives to your product because of your behavior. I'm surprised you have not banned them too.

Our product works, and works well, although I'm sure we would just be accused of pouring oil into it for effect since we don't just sit on video pouring liquid oil into a system designed to trap mist... Last weekend we logged 2200 miles, and had to empty our unit twice - once after the shows, and once when we returned, both times with about an ounce of oil trapped. We could have done it only once upon return, but for maximum effectiveness, more often within reason is better. I won't bore you with the airflow details as to why, since you don't believe it is possible anyway.

But since you rely on the statements from your "machine shop" to tell you things and then just run to repost them on the 'net only to find that a 1 3/4"-12 thread is not all that "proprietary" in the real world, I'll leave you with this - maybe you should go call McMaster Carr and let them know what you think of them "stealing" your machine shop's thread design... this will thread on your can just fine.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#94895a868/=o3f9ey

Have a nice weekend :)

Reason for edit - fixed link...

No, actually that one was done specifically for Jay in a moment of bad judgment as we knew at Mustang Week there would be some fluff about it whether we had brought normal production pieces or if we had brought nothing at all since this blew up months prior to MW. So instead, we brought him this, which he was happy to buy thru his straw purchase. Again, bad poke at the bear on our part, but everyone makes mistakes, and we have admitted that previously.

Again though, it's of no consequence. Our pieces we produce for SA and our own are different, and have been from day one prior to all this, which he has freely admitted. Instead of embracing the differences and explaining why he feels his is better, he is still upset that he has someone else to compete with besides the other 10 or so in the market already. Every attempt to discuss this rationally has been met with personal attacks ("clown, crook, crazy, BS, corrupt, fool") and that's just in one single post.

It's sad though how we can coexist with other companies that we have competitive products to (and even produce products for one another), yet he has made this his personal mission in life to attack us every time he gets bored. After 37 pages of this though, it has gotten quite old. I'll leave the rest to Jay, as I feel he has a lot more to say, and to be honest, somewhere in the length of this thread, I think we've about covered every aspect of the production and function of the product, which is really what we first entered the thread to do. I think how he has handled himself towards us and customers that are not even involved speaks for itself and will continue to for some time to come.

On edit - I just re-read this entire train wreck since I'm trying to avoid real work at the moment in the shop on a Saturday, and I think posts 510-584 really covered the meat of the discussion. Everything else is pretty much water over the bridge. It's where we entered the discussion just responding factually to the questions at hand. We're working on a video for our site that we'll be releasing soon, showing exactly what was discussed in post 510. Now back to work...

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/76728-shelby-oil-separator/?p=1439613

Does anyone besides me see a striking LACK of resemblance?

I did a double take too. If I'm trying to point out a copied design, I would not have chosen that photo to highlight the similarities.

That's just me though, others' mileage may vary.

LOL, some pretty blind people here, LOL
Funny this is the only forum where people are throwing a blind eye to the facts and saying it's not the same or wrong.

Hmm, same threads, same size, same holes to the .0001, same filter step, same shape, but it's not the same, bawawaaaaaaa :worship:

Marcello, you should be proud of "your" separator, LOL.

Teach the boy how to run a good honest business, good job!

What a joke.

Yes, I am name calling, because your a crook, non inventive, far from innovative and trying to defend copying a product and failing every where but the lions den.

As you can see I'm not afraid to come in here and post the facts, but you shy away from all the other discussions where pages of honest peopl are calling you out.

I banned your friend from my facebook page because he's a moron, posting things he knew nothing about. I'll argue with the best of them, but when you have ignorance on the other end no one wins. He thought he know about threads, but was wrong, he thought he knew facts about intakes, but was wrong, which is the case for you as well.

Saying your "real" one is different is 100% false. I saw it when your customer came to our booth looking at ours asking why we use a filter. It's the same, just more bedazzeled with grooves, oohhh so inventive...

We showed him how the parts interchanged and the over all guts were the same minus the filter.

Answer why yours is the same in side,

why the same size holes as mine?

Why the step for the filter you don't use?

Why not make the holes the same size?

Why is are the threads the same as ours?

And one last one, why are NO OTHER separators on the free market like this? Only mine and yours that came out years after??

Your a fraud, a cheat and a lier.

Why are you not selling them on your web site?

Because your trying to get other to sell them as private label.

Good luck.

BTW, I'm enjoying this.

Oil Separator sales are up in the past 6 months, producing 650 per month and still running out, but I will keep up this fight just for the fun of it.

You can have the few Shelby sales you'll get because it has a snake on it, but when more people see it lets more oil though than catches those will be up for sale soon enough.

I love how you discredit my test and Bobs test, but show no tests of your own.

Lots of sheep

Interesting, I'm now blind eh? I'm sheep eh?

I am uneducated in the ways of patents, cars and mechanical design.

However, I am educated enough to know when I am being insulted.

Great way to treat potential customers.

You will never get me to buy anything from you at this point. Way to go.

You know what Tucker??? Noone here cares!!!! Who's, precisely, mind are you trying to change? Those who think you have a better product will buy it. Those who don't will buy someone else's.

I would suggest you take a break and go read Dale Carnegie's book "How To Win Friends & Influence People".

Let's have a quiz: Which of your tactics would he recommend: All or None?

It was amusing. Now just annoying.

If you think you have a case I'm sure there is a lawyer that will take your case for half of the proceeds. Maybe he already tried that and couldn't get Dewey, Cheatem & Howe to take the case?

Good luck though.

(P.S. I'm bored waiting for the air compressor to cool down a little bit while blowing cottonwood cotton out of the screens and decided that kicking a rattle snake would be entertaining.)

You know what Tucker??? Noone here cares!!!! Who's, precisely, mind are you trying to change? Those who think you have a better product will buy it. Those who don't will buy someone else's.

I would suggest you take a break and go read Dale Carnegie's book "How To Win Friends & Influence People".

Let's have a quiz: Which of your tactics would he recommend: All or None?

It was amusing. Now just annoying.

If you think you have a case I'm sure there is a lawyer that will take your case for half of the proceeds. Maybe he already tried that and couldn't get Dewey, Cheatem & Howe to take the case?

Good luck though.

(P.S. I'm bored waiting for the air compressor to cool down a little bit while blowing cottonwood cotton out of the screens and decided that kicking a rattle snake would be entertaining.)

Hey I know some of Carnegie's stuff lol

LOL, some pretty blind people here, LOL

Funny this is the only forum where people are throwing a blind eye to the facts and saying it's not the same or wrong.

Hmm, same threads, same size, same holes to the .0001, same filter step, same shape, but it's not the same, bawawaaaaaaa :worship:

BTW, I'm enjoying this.

Oil Separator sales are up in the past 6 months, producing 650 per month and still running out, but I will keep up this fight just for the fun of it.

You can have the few Shelby sales you'll get because it has a snake on it, but when more people see it lets more oil though than catches those will be up for sale soon enough.

I love how you discredit my test and Bobs test, but show no tests of your own.

Lots of sheep

Hmm, started out on your side kind of, but

1. Im not a sheep. Im a guy with a Shelby GT500. You should know the difference.

2. You aren't getting the feedback you would like to see on a Shelby owned forum? Really? How stupid can you be to chose this forum for your tantrum? Why don't you go sell some steaks on a vegan forum as your next trick? At some point, insulting Shelby owners will impact your sales. If Shelby American is your target audience, I can PROMISE you that they are not losing a single minute's sleep over this issue. What they will be losing is YOUR phone number for future builds I can bet. Having a JLT CAI on Supersnakes tells people you make the best there is, but no design is unbeatable, and you make your designs a target for just that when a company will do anything to not use the best available.

3. You kind of speak with forked tongue- one sentence you say they completely copied your design, the next you are saying their oil separator doesn't work near as good as yours. It can't be a complete copy and be inferior. It's got to be one or the other.

You had many of us take notice with your first couple of posts, and probably had some private support as well. Following it up with the comparison Utube video was a fine supporting piece of evidence, but you should have left the back and forth between you and SHR out of the public eye, and you damn sure shouldn't be insulting us.

Why can't you be happy with the 650 units a month you are selling? That's great! By my calculations you are making over 100k a month on friggin' Snake Oil. That's better than most of any of us make, and you are making it off these same sheep's pockets while you insult us. No thank you sir.

In fact, the more I think about this, the more it pisses me off.

All of you are cheating us, telling us how your "widget that doesn't do anything of value" is superior to other people's "widgets that sit there and do basically the same thing".

I think Im gonna go in business and make 200.00 valve stem caps that keep outside air and moisture out of the tires. I can even add moisture thimbles to capture all the water to show what a bang up job it's doing.

The difference would be that I would patent it.

Sonnet or later, your little rant is going to get the attention of the Chinese.

Then you and Shelby and Bob and SHR can lose the whole market share because the Chinese will just make one and sell it for 40 bucks because they will be tickled to sell a product they can produce for 10x their cost.

Don't piss down my back and tell me yours is wetter than Shelby's.

And the show goes on! (and on, and on, and on....) Don't forget to vote :bandance:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/81970-whos-tired-of-the-shelby-oil-seperator-thread/

A word for Jay Tucker: You're not doing yourself any favors by acting out like a child with verbal bashing in an open format.

Well said Warren.

Especially the part about the Chinese coping the design and selling it for 40 bucks.

That is 100% true.

This thread is so old and tattered. Will it ever end.

As for oil separators, going to purchase from Bob's. They have been pretty quiet on this issue.

Have one now, but..............

As for coping a product, get a patent and protect yourself. ALWAYS !!

Viper, good point. Tucker is not doing himself any favors here.

Where is Jerry Springer when you need him.

A word for Jay Tucker: You're not doing yourself any favors by acting out like a child with verbal bashing in an open format.

He's also a slow learner. That has been stated at least half a dozen times.

And this guy owns or is a representative of the company? Sounds like a good way to drive business away!!! If he is a representative, how could the owner condone this? If he's the owner, he should buy out Bangastang as they seem to have a similar "going out of business" strategy.

That post late on a Friday was so "full of awesome" I just have no idea where to begin... Really though, a bunch of name-calling like that is what got the thread at TMS locked in only 8 posts, hence why we can't go chasing you all over the Internet putting out your little fires, as much as you would enjoy that. Are you just craving some attention, or trying to do our advertising for us (and everyone else in this market) at the same time ?? Heck, even some people not involved on your company FB page have posted alternatives to your product because of your behavior. I'm surprised you have not banned them too.

Our product works, and works well, although I'm sure we would just be accused of pouring oil into it for effect since we don't just sit on video pouring liquid oil into a system designed to trap mist... Last weekend we logged 2200 miles, and had to empty our unit twice - once after the shows, and once when we returned, both times with about an ounce of oil trapped. We could have done it only once upon return, but for maximum effectiveness, more often within reason is better. I won't bore you with the airflow details as to why, since you don't believe it is possible anyway.

But since you rely on the statements from your "machine shop" to tell you things and then just run to repost them on the 'net only to find that a 1 3/4"-12 thread is not all that "proprietary" in the real world, I'll leave you with this - maybe you should go call McMaster Carr and let them know what you think of them "stealing" your machine shop's thread design... this will thread on your can just fine.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#94895a868/=o3f9ey

Have a nice weekend :)

Reason for edit - fixed link...

Hey, that is a giant nut, how appropriate is that :)

Well played.

Hey, that is a giant nut, how appropriate is that :)

Well played.

I was wondering if anyone got the little double entendre on that :) Thanks...

And as stated earlier, we're happy to have the discussion anywhere other than JLT's own company's FB page. However, that said, when we tried to do so over at TMS, Tucker got the thread locked with his behavior in just 8 posts, a harbinger of things to come if we started replying all over the web. It has continued here mostly because it has not been locked even with his name-calling and personal attacks.

The "idiot" he banned from his company's FB account that he thinks knows nothing is actually another business owner who is also a moderator at TMS and has been for years....and he's not the one who locked the thread. So, rather than get a bunch of threads locked all over the web since Tucker's posts tend to violate TOS, we're just watching him treat everyone who disagrees with him with the level of respect he feels they deserve.

As to other separators on the market - personally I am okay with anyone shopping on price, quality, and features. There are many brands out there, some better than others, and we've never disparaged any of them, even those from some of our direct competitors. It's a product that has been around for a long time, and will be for a long time to come. We make just a few of the many that are available.

Guys,

We didn't have your business before this because you only buy stuff Shelby allows a snake to be put on, so I'm not loosing all too much here.

I see many of you have our JLT Big Air Intake in your sig and I thank you, but Shelby actually copied that too over a year ago and Jer called telling me they would never bring it to market. Let's hear about that Jer...

Hate me or my products, it's ok, all I'm doing is bringing to light how big names like Shelby and small names like SHR do business. They take parts from the innovators and either strong arm them to large discounts and add their name to it or they just knock it off and call it their own. You know that's the truth and not the first time you heard it...

Trust me, I didn't get through 10 years of business with my parts on the fastest GT500's 5.0's and Cobras in the country because I don't know what I'm doing.

I know for every one of you that post here you hate what I'm saying, 10 are sitting back saying "I can't believe what Shelby and SHR did"

Most don't post, they lurk.

As you can see Marcello can't answer any of my questions of exactness of the separators. More proof he's a good politician with his long winded posts, but when it comes down to facts of design he can't answer.

Yes, I'm very happy with our sales and production runs and this has not hurt us one bit, but I will not allow these people to make money off my product and design, it's wrong!

To be able to look at 2 parts with the same thread, size holes, design aspects not used and say they are different the only thing I can think of is either blind in the eye or the mind.

THen take into account some think it's Okay? Wow, not what I'd expect from the most educated group in the Mustang world.

Many of you are business man and owners and I'm willing to bet you'd fight for your business too.

Thanks

Jay

Guys,

We didn't have your business before this because you only buy stuff Shelby allows a snake to be put on, so I'm not loosing all too much here......

Most don't post, they lurk......

Wow, not what I'd expect from the most educated group in the Mustang world.

Thanks

Jay

Ya know Jay I tried to keep quiet on here and just "lurk".... however there are some false statements made here.

I for one will buy something without, as you put it, "A Snake on it". I will purchase based on performance, availabilty and above all, price. I bought my first item of yours (an oil separator of all things) from you this year in Carlisle. So therefore you didn't have my business before. Had Shelby been represented in Carlisle I most likely would have purchased your item anyway based on my previous comments.

I spoke to you personally in Carlisle and told you that I didn't care for the comments and drama going on here. As far as I'm concerned it belongs on the elementary school playground. That being said, I like many others on here belong to several forums and/or clubs, be it Mustang, Ford or Muscle car based. When asked my opinion in the future (or even in conversation) the negative things that were stated in this thread have been and will continue to be discussed.

I will continue to lurk and chuckle, however I will make no more comments in this thread. Take it for what it's worth but I have to get back to my job which consists partly of reverse engineering to improve our company product line.

PS: Thanks for the edjumakasion comment.....

Doug

EVERYONE:

I have been more than patient in allowing a free discussion here, but the name-calling has now exceeded my tolerance.

Please understand that this is a company-owned website, not a government service - we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.

Tucker, you no longer sell (or allow your dealers to sell) JLT products to Shelby, yet I still have provided you this forum without censor.

Please respect that, and respect the other members and their right to THEIR opinions.

Jer

EVERYONE:

I have been more than patient in allowing a free discussion here, but the name-calling has now exceeded my tolerance.

Please understand that this is a company-owned website, not a government service - we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.

Tucker, you no longer sell (or allow your dealers to sell) JLT products to Shelby, yet I still have provided you this forum without censor.

Please respect that, and respect the other members and their right to THEIR opinions.

Jer

Thanks for restating that Jer. Its important to remember this goes on and on and on, when it has been shut down on other sites, and although I have had issue with some things Shelby American has done, ( I have issue with something everyone has done over any extended period of time) they have been nothing but tolerant and above board to this topic.

Im not even touching the comments about us only buying branded items, as that is far from the truth, its just silly. (Technically, I dont have a single Shelby branded thing ON my GT500 that didnt come from SVT. Its no issue with Shelby mind you, I just havent got to that stage of modding yet. But when I do, my criteria will follow Doug_GT350 exactly.)

I find it interesting that there seems to be no response to my comment that it cant be a copy of your design if it doesnt work to your designed specifications. Just a thought.

I do feel a little sorry for you in the fact you didnt patent your little grinder looking thingy. Clearly you cant take it to court because you didnt protect yourself, so this being the only real recourse for you, I hope you are getting your desired result from it. As a business owner, I would have additionally created caps with my logo that could screw onto your product for sale so I could even squeeze a little extra money out that way too. You think YOUR business is cut throat? Buddy, you havent seen cut throat.

Perhaps a positive thing can indeed be taken from this endless little topic-

If you make a great product, protect it the best you can. There will always be somebody else that will be happy to make money off of your mistakes and laziness. All the name calling and fist pounding in the world wont change the exposure that you yourself created.

UPR - Check

Dealerships that charge ADM - Check

McDonalds - Check (You don't want to know why)

UPS - Check

JLT - Check

Just updated my list (Difficult to do since I am blind in the eye and mind)

Baaaaaaaaaaaa

Archived