TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super snake wheels would be made if Shelby performance ordered more? Every body wants super snake wheels, let us buy them from Alcoa ourselves.

SS730HP

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly think most everyone is over thinking this.... just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you have to. There is absolutely no reason why anyone needs to do anything other than what is tried and true. The recommended sizes are there for a reason... they work. Some of us are just junkies for trying to push the boundaries. The outward appearance of nearly all these combinations is nearly imperceptible to most. 10mm is about this wide |-----|. Think about it.

Good point!...lol

I don't want to get anyone in trouble but it appears that the center caps are already for sale on this website. It could be just a listing and when you go to order they say you will have to wait but it doesn't appear that way from the site.

http://www.northamer..._p/nat-1622.htm

Jer said that after the new SS wheel orders have been filled and the caps sold with them, they will be a REGULAR shelf item for the GP to buy.

So that site is just getting ready for that to happen. Nothing wrong, no one to 'get in trouble'...Just that the SS Fifty Year buyers get first dibs.

Phill

Do the 2007-2009 Shelbys have the TPMS's or did that start with the 2010?

They all have TPMS sensors but they do not interchange. The early ones mounted on the rim with metal straps, the newer ones mount on the valve stem. And they are different frequencies which is why they won't interchange.

But the SS wheel will accept either style.

Phill

Jer said that after the new SS wheel orders have been filled and the caps sold with them, they will be a REGULAR shelf item for the GP to buy.

So that site is just getting ready for that to happen. Nothing wrong, no one to 'get in trouble'...Just that the SS Fifty Year buyers get first dibs.

Phill

Yup. No one "gets in trouble", and I appreciate any and all "heads-up" notes, so I can keep everyone well-informed before rumors start.

NAT is a valued member of our dealer network, this is just a typo, no big deal.

Jer

I honestly think most everyone is over thinking this.... just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you have to. There is absolutely no reason why anyone needs to do anything other than what is tried and true. The recommended sizes are there for a reason... they work. Some of us are just junkies for trying to push the boundaries. The outward appearance of nearly all these combinations is nearly imperceptible to most. 10mm is about this wide |-----|. Think about it.

THERE ya go.

:salute:

Jer

Thanks for this information. It does resolve my concerns about the front wheels/tires sticking out farther, but now I'm questioning the advantages/needs of having 10" wheels up front when the largest tire that everyone seems to recommend will fit on the 9" wheels, which would presumably weigh less? This sure would be easier if I could see them all in person first...lol.

How about this advantage......I'm buying 10's all around. Gives me more flexibility for not only tires, but if I damage a rim, regardless of where it is on the car, I'll take my spare 10' replacement outta the box and be done with it, instead of having to buy an extra 9 and 10. If I run 275's all around, hell, I could even rotate them....though, 285/295's on the rears sound good to me.

How about this advantage......I'm buying 10's all around. Gives me more flexibility for not only tires, but if I damage a rim, regardless of where it is on the car, I'll take my spare 10' replacement outta the box and be done with it, instead of having to buy an extra 9 and 10. If I run 275's all around, hell, I could even rotate them....though, 285/295's on the rears sound good to me.

+1

Your handling is going to be in the toliet with 275s all around. And you should check the thread I made in the 2013 section. 295s seem to rub without modifying. In some cases people get lucky and don't need to modify though.

Your handling is going to be in the toliet with 275s all around.

Doesn't, or didn't Shelby put 275's on the Super Snakes? I don't remember what the stock size is but Shelby was putting smaller than OE tires on the Super Snakes.

Personally, I wouldn't go smaller than OEM (285 IIRC).

Shit...Now I'm gonna have to go look!

Phill

Doesn't, or didn't Shelby put 275's on the Super Snakes? I don't remember what the stock size is but Shelby was putting smaller than OE tires on the Super Snakes.

Personally, I wouldn't go smaller than OEM (285 IIRC).

Shit...Now I'm gonna have to go look!

Phill

Super Snakes used to run 275 rears, but some are different tire manufacturers. I've seen most of them on Super Sports, but I've also seen others on P-Zero's. Not sure the story behind that. 295's are pretty safe if you run a 30 aspect ratio. The real inconsistency is that making a statement like a size fits or not, without the qualification of knowing which brand and the aspect ratio of tire is, is less helpful. Most of the information I've seen, and from the measurements I've taken, leads me to believe you can run any 295/30, and most 295/35's on a 10" rear. That being said, the measurements stated by the manufacturers usually state on which rim width a tire is measured, and most 295's are measured on a 10.5" rim. The NEW red prototype Super Snake has 11-inch rears, and my eyeball tells me the tires are at least 285's, more likely 295/30's. Super Sports are offered in 285/35 and 295/30, 295/35.

2013-Shelby-Super-Snake-Spec-Sheet.jpg

2013-Shelby-Super-Snake-Spec-Sheet.jpg

Your handling is going to be in the toliet with 275s all around. And you should check the thread I made in the 2013 section. 295s seem to rub without modifying. In some cases people get lucky and don't need to modify though.

Ok. I'm wondering why handling would be affected by 10's all around? Can someone explain wheel size and handling aside from the extra weight of unsprung mass?

See one of my concerns is that if I put a 275 on a 9, the sidewall will look quite a bit different than a 285/295 on a 10 at the back.

The other thing that is beyond my expertise is that some suggest running a 35 height on the front and a 30 on the back. Would that not look funny?

As far as I am concerned the 20” Alcoa’s are not for the track. They are for looking cool and cruising.

I will always have the 18” KR Alcoa’s for the track.

Ok. I'm wondering why handling would be affected by 10's all around? Can someone explain wheel size and handling aside from the extra weight of unsprung mass?

See one of my concerns is that if I put a 275 on a 9, the sidewall will look quite a bit different than a 285/295 on a 10 at the back.

The other thing that is beyond my expertise is that some suggest running a 35 height on the front and a 30 on the back. Would that not look funny?

Generally speaking, a smaller tire up front creates better response because the sidewalls flex less. But you have to strike a balance in what's called "slip angle" overall, or the true direction a tire is traveling when cornering (its not necessarily parallel with the tread). Ideally, you want a car that will turn in quickly and maintain a balance throughout the corner. If the rear tires have lower slip angles (by making them TOO wide) this will cause the car to understeer, or resist the turning input. If you want to keep your car balanced it is best to keep a somewhat smaller tire on the front. As for the aspect ratio of the tire, this refers to a ratio of width to height and as such does not mean that a 35 aspect tire is necessarily taller than a 30 aspect.

As far as I am concerned the 20” Alcoa’s are not for the track. They are for looking cool and cruising.

I will always have the 18” KR Alcoa’s for the track.

No doubt... the Alcoa's are NOT the best solution for track use. They're too heavy if nothing else. Frankly, the SVTPP wheels are likely a better choice. If price were no object I would likely go with something super light to reduce unsprung weight. And by "track" I'm almost always referring to a road course... not a drag strip.

Generally speaking, a smaller tire up front creates better response because the sidewalls flex less. But you have to strike a balance in what's called "slip angle" overall, or the true direction a tire is traveling when cornering (its not necessarily parallel with the tread). Ideally, you want a car that will turn in quickly and maintain a balance throughout the corner. If the rear tires have lower slip angles (by making them TOO wide) this will cause the car to understeer, or resist the turning input. If you want to keep your car balanced it is best to keep a somewhat smaller tire on the front. As for the aspect ratio of the tire, this refers to a ratio of width to height and as such does not mean that a 35 aspect tire is necessarily taller than a 30 aspect.

I'm pretty sure I owe you lunch by now.

Jer

As far as I am concerned the 20” Alcoa’s are not for the track. They are for looking cool and cruising. I will always have the 18” KR Alcoa’s for the track.

Yup.

Agreed.

We'll be offering some cool 18 inch wheels to our lineup eventually, JUST for that reason. I want to offer something that clears big brakes, of course.

Jer

Thanks HyperStangs. So if I follow correctly, putting a 275 tire on a 9' Alcoa would be worse than stretching a 275 tire on a 10' Alcoa because there would be more sidewall bunching/flex? Slaming too wide of a tire on too narrow of a rim at the back as you mention would be even worse at the front of a nose heavy car, wouldn't it? Following the SS's from Shelby, could one assume a 275 on a 10' rim is optimal to reduce slip angle?

So will adding 10's to the front be a problem? I was going to go with 10's in the front and 10's for the rear with every intention of stretching the rears to 11's. I do have the eibach pro kit lowering springs on my Shelby.

I have heard of several people using 10's all the way around with no problem. Thats what I ordered.

If I remember right 275 in the front works just fine. Again for street use.

Thanks HyperStangs. So if I follow correctly, putting a 275 tire on a 9' Alcoa would be worse than stretching a 275 tire on a 10' Alcoa because there would be more sidewall bunching/flex? Slaming too wide of a tire on too narrow of a rim at the back as you mention would be even worse at the front of a nose heavy car, wouldn't it? Following the SS's from Shelby, could one assume a 275 on a 10' rim is optimal to reduce slip angle?

Again, its difficult to define things like that in absolutes - different wheel manufacturer, different measurements. Its a symphony of variables that work together, and there are more ways to skin the same cat. A good resource for you to look at is the spec sheets from the manufacturers. They indicate the range of wheel widths recommended for each tire, and an "optimal" size if you will. It would be safe to say that most of us should stay within that range for the tire they select, and if at all possible run the size recommended. I would rather put a 275 on a 10 IMHO (a 9.5 is generally the correct size for a 275 width), but I would be sure to be running something larger in the rear to balance it out. If you have ANY question about the size you are looking for I would recommend simply running the sizes outlined by S.A. As for reducing slip angle, as I said, that can be bad as well. All of this has to do with pushing your car to its "limits" and in a perfect situation a driver can cause his car to balanced in a corner using all the available traction and actually "steer" the car with the throttle. I could talk suspension for hours... literally, but the long and short of it is, most of this is for aesthetics.

• 2 months later...

I just want to thank everybody for your comments about (SUPER SNAKE WOULD BE MADE IF SHELBY ORDERED MORE).

The reason why Shelby had a new run made was because of my Thread and all the comments that everyone made here. I can’t thank everyone enough for your help and for your comments, about making another run.

From the very first time I seen these wheels, I was very impressed.

Thanks JER for all your help. Stephen Donapel.

Stephen,

If your original post and the ensuing comments really did initiate this whole thing, then I thank you. It also shows what an outstanding job Jer and the rest of SAI have done. Those who may be complaining about not yet having received their order should take a moment and consider the magnitude of this entire endeavor and relax a bit. Once you see them you will forget about the wait. My thanks to anyone who has had anything to do with these wheels being made available! Merry Christmas!

The reason why Shelby had a new run made was because of my Thread and all the comments that everyone made here.

Seriously? I mean, is your comment *truly* serious in that you think the reason Shelby made another batch of Super Snake Alcoa wheels, was due to *your* post/thread and the ensuing comments generated by it?

For all intents and purposes, the simple act of making the audacious statement you so boldly and blatantly made has the direct consequence of completely minimizing and invalidating the hundreds, if not THOUSANDS ofnprevious posts, threads, comments, suggestions and requests expressed by people on a number of Internet forums (including, but not limited to Team Shelby, SVTperformance.com, GT500, etc. etc. etc.) indicating the intense demand along with the interest and desire shown for having Shelby American re-release the recently discontinued Alcoa Dura-Bright Super Snake wheels that were SO desperately desired by the pubic at large, and their expressed desire to continue with the Alcoa SS wheel program.

To take credit for this is just *so* off-base and *so* genuinely misplaced.

From what little I know of the inner workings at Shelby American, Jer (Gervasi<sp?>) deserves much of the credit for getting the program back up and running, all be it on a very minimal run but the VAST majority of credit would have to go to the many many MANY Team Shelby forum members (most of which are also SVTP forum members) and their relentless comments and posts on the subject matter.

This is by no means meant to be a personal attack on your person unless you insist on wanting to try to counter my stated claims and demand personal credit for the advent and re-introduction of the 20" "Fifty Years" Alcoa Dura-Bright Super Snake (style) wheels.

Sorry bud, but it is quite simply, NOT THE CASE. Want proof? Run a simple search (on this forum alone) for Alcoa Dura-bright wheels and you will get a *small* sample of what I speak.

Calling a "Spade" a "Spade",

Phillip Pollard - Co. Springs, CO

From what little I know of the inner workings at Shelby American, Jer (Gervasi<sp?>) deserves much of the credit for getting the program back up and running, all be it on a very minimal run but the VAST majority of credit would have to go to the many many MANY Team Shelby forum members (most of which are also SVTP forum members) and their relentless comments and posts on the subject matter.

RIGHT!

The ONE to thank is JER.

He is the man.

Archived