TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super snake wheels would be made if Shelby performance ordered more? Every body wants super snake wheels, let us buy them from Alcoa ourselves.

SS730HP

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With a patent in place for "The ornamental design for an automobile wheel, as shown and described," don't expect to see any clones in the near term unless Alcoa licenses that to happen.

The Durabrite finish is not mentioned either (probably a separate patent). So someone can't even clone the design without the special finish.

In a simple world your theory make sense assuming there 500 takers for a set of four for an order of 2k wheels. Or, let's assume every taker wants a set of 6, are there ~333 buyers? Someone starting taking a count of all those willing to poney up a deposit. I'll be surprised if there are enough buyers to commit an order of 2-3k wheels. I would be surprised there would be enough up front deposits to fill an order of 400-600 wheels let alone 2-3k.

No question these wheels are beautiful, but as best as I can see there is a very small vocal group (a few dozen at best) begging for these wheels to be produced. I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

As for having True Forged produce the wheels, I'm pretty sure they do not have the capability to actually forge a wheel. True Forge mills/machines all of their wheels. Now that doesn't mean True Forge couldn't mill a wheel that very closely resembles the Alcoa but it will not have the Dura-Bright finish as the process is patented by Alcoa.

correct. we do not make forged wheels like the Alcoa Super Snake wheel. we wouldnt be able to reproduce an exact replica either. we actually do have a design that is somewhat similar but not close enough for SS fans lol. with that being said, if SAI were interested, we would be able to make a very similar looking wheel albeit with a lip. we obviously would not be able to replicate the dura bright process either though im sure close alternatives can be done.

what we could do is make them on an as ordered basis. no $750k investment on SAI's part. and we could make them in anything from 5.5 to 15" wide. BUT, when something custom is made in SUPER low production numbers and to custom specs, it gets pricey. SAI did contact us about making the next gen SS wheels about 2 years ago (iirc) but there was just no way we would have been able to meet their price point they needed to be at. maybe if 3k sets (ie 12k wheels!) were pre-ordered and paid for.... lol. we would be able to offer just about any finish under the sun. polished, brushed, satin black, gloss black, hydro carbon, race gold, custom painted to match, etc... we would be able to offer custom widths and offsets AND brake cuts. need 20x9 20x11.5? we can do that. need them to fit 315/35/20 on your car? without rubbing? we can do that. need them to clear 6pot front and rear brakes, we can do that. all on a "per customer" basis. BUT, that wouldnt happen at $2k retail..

They are selling for so much on eBay because you can't get them any longer. Supply and demand. Pretty simple, IMHO.

I like the design of the Alcoa wheels. I do not want super snake on my wheels because I don't have a super snake. Shoot,I'd be happy with no logo milled into the wheel. Just a nice center cap would be fine.

I'm on a budget, some of you aren't, but I can't swing $3000+ for a set of wheels. $2Gs would be pushing it for me at this time. Keep the price reasonable and offer a good looking product and you'll have a winner.

even at the original price point SAI would be looking at substantial investment that they would then be sitting on for quite some time. in order to reach that price point, 3k wheels (750 sets) would cost $750k IF they were buying them at 50% of retail. if its 3k sets, well $750k x 4!

now that the wheels are not available, there is demand. but even so, maybe a couple hundred? then there would be LOTS of wheels sitting around after that. and of course, once people hear theyre back into production, many will say "eh ill buy them later when i have more cash" lol. and for those saying they'd pay $3k for a set, well now you can cut the demand in half, if not more.

the sets selling for $5k? maybe a handful of people will pay that. and Lord help you if you damage one lol

You mean, between the time I went home yesterday and the time I woke up this morning?

LOL...

No, but I did get the transmission cooling scoops you were waiting for back in stock and listed for sale yesterday before I went home.

Jer

lol!

I found the the Alcoa Design Patent...

(attached)

USD597919(Alcoa Shelby Wheel).pdf

are you a patent attorney? well that certainly cancels out anyone producing an exact replica.

correct. we do not make forged wheels like the Alcoa Super Snake wheel. we wouldnt be able to reproduce an exact replica either. we actually do have a design that is somewhat similar but not close enough for SS fans lol. with that being said, if SAI were interested, we would be able to make a very similar looking wheel albeit with a lip. we obviously would not be able to replicate the dura bright process either though im sure close alternatives can be done.

what we could do is make them on an as ordered basis. no $750k investment on SAI's part. and we could make them in anything from 5.5 to 15" wide. BUT, when something custom is made in SUPER low production numbers and to custom specs, it gets pricey. SAI did contact us about making the next gen SS wheels about 2 years ago (iirc) but there was just no way we would have been able to meet their price point they needed to be at. maybe if 3k sets (ie 12k wheels!) were pre-ordered and paid for.... lol. we would be able to offer just about any finish under the sun. polished, brushed, satin black, gloss black, hydro carbon, race gold, custom painted to match, etc... we would be able to offer custom widths and offsets AND brake cuts. need 20x9 20x11.5? we can do that. need them to fit 315/35/20 on your car? without rubbing? we can do that. need them to clear 6pot front and rear brakes, we can do that. all on a "per customer" basis. BUT, that wouldnt happen at $2k retail..

even at the original price point SAI would be looking at substantial investment that they would then be sitting on for quite some time. in order to reach that price point, 3k wheels (750 sets) would cost $750k IF they were buying them at 50% of retail. if its 3k sets, well $750k x 4!

now that the wheels are not available, there is demand. but even so, maybe a couple hundred? then there would be LOTS of wheels sitting around after that. and of course, once people hear theyre back into production, many will say "eh ill buy them later when i have more cash" lol. and for those saying they'd pay $3k for a set, well now you can cut the demand in half, if not more.

the sets selling for $5k? maybe a handful of people will pay that. and Lord help you if you damage one lol

lol!

are you a patent attorney? well that certainly cancels out anyone producing an exact replica.

What is the wheel you guys have that resembles the alcoa?

Plus I think they should just continue selling the wheel because people will keep buying them and buying more to replace the ones they have damaged. There are lots of people who would buy 1 or 2 wheels to replace damaged one. Then there are other people who will buy 6 wheels and more who will just buy 4.

If sitting on wheels is the fear here well they could just announce a limited run of 3000-5000 wheels. They will all sell believe me. The ones that don't they can put the super snake on them and use them as spares for ss owners and ss conversions.

What is the wheel you guys have that resembles the alcoa?

Plus I think they should just continue selling the wheel because people will keep buying them and buying more to replace the ones they have damaged. There are lots of people who would buy 1 or 2 wheels to replace damaged one. Then there are other people who will buy 6 wheels and more who will just buy 4.

If sitting on wheels is the fear here well they could just announce a limited run of 3000-5000 wheels. They will all sell believe me. The ones that don't they can put the super snake on them and use them as spares for ss owners and ss conversions.

I agree. They best way to sell these wheels would be to advertise a limited run. Why offer specific numbers manufactured to the crowd? That would just cause people to sit on their hands.

If I were SAI I'd offer a "press" release on all the Mustang forums and contact the wheel distributors like American Muscle, etc. notifying all that Shelby has just purchased 1 last run of the Alcoas. When these are sold, that is it, forever. The amount of wheels they purchased from Alcoa should remain a closely guarded secret. They'd sell em and quick.

Posted Yesterday, 10:36 PM

Every single contact at Shelby (The President is 3 feet from my office) has confirmed that Alcoa cancelled this program and DuraBright, too.

I HAVE to consider this dead. If someone from Alcoa says different, they can ring me or email me directly, I'm easy to find: JerG@ShelbyAmerican.com

Otherwise, we move on.

Jer

Took the liberty of calling Alcoa to find resolution, once and for all, with respect to these wheels.

Spoke with Steve at Alcoa. 734-634-4102.

Wheels were discontinued due to volume. Period.

It would be worth their while to make a run of 2-3 thousand wheels. They are very interested in the business. In fact so interested, Steve said he was going to call Shelby to see what could be done. He's amazed they are selling for 5K on ebay. Durabright technology is still going strong.

I would think it best for Shelby to list a price and take pre-paid orders with a cut off date. Not enough orders, it dies.

Time to put up or shut up gentlemen. :)

I'm in for 6 - a set and two spares.

I like your post Frank, but it appears that the minimum would need to be 2000 wheels (500 sets). I can see 100 sets going pretty quick but it would be hard to say how fast the rest would go. I wonder how many sets have been sold in the past. I have my hopes up but I doubt I will like any replacement as much as the originals.

Making progress here, folks.

Hope to have news soon.

Thanks,

Jer

I'm a Registered Patent Agent with the USPTO. I'm still waiting for my Bar Exam results so I can be called a patent attorney. (Insert disclaimers here... that I cannot offer legal adcvice etc.)

Unfortunately I have no experience filing design patents, since I'm a chemical/biotech guy. But I can refer someone. I just think its cool. Perhaps a license agreement can be made.

You keep saying that but I have this ominous feeling that your going to come back saying its not going to happen :(

AW, that's no fun. Cheer up, man.

Jer

I have been following along with this since its inception and refrained from comment until now. First, I would buy a set and a spare or two depending upon the actual price. Second, I find it hard to believe that selling the Alcoas would be so tough. I would think that Shelby would make a large part of their investment back in short order considering the interest just in this forum, let alone elsewhere. And who knows how many more out there might be interested if they knew they were available but maybe not so proactive in looking.

I hope this gets worked out and us Shelby owners can get the wheels that most of us deem as "the wheel" for our cars.

I hope this gets worked out and us Shelby owners can get the wheels that most of us deem as "the wheel" for our cars.

My feelings EXACTLY! I missed out on getting a set, and have kicked myself ever since.

Thanks again, everyone, for your patience and support.

Jer

Ditto! (If you couldn't figure that out!)

:hysterical:

Jer

I have been following along with this since its inception and refrained from comment until now. First, I would buy a set and a spare or two depending upon the actual price. Second, I find it hard to believe that selling the Alcoas would be so tough. I would think that Shelby would make a large part of their investment back in short order considering the interest just in this forum, let alone elsewhere. And who knows how many more out there might be interested if they knew they were available but maybe not so proactive in looking.

Why have you refrained from commenting?

Why have you refrained from commenting?

Wanted to see how it would play out, not getting my hopes up too much. I am pleased to see all the effort and support and figured that it was time to jump in. Sort of been sidetracked recently as well.

Archived