TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Has anyone applied a Durashield clear plastic paint protector on the front of their car?

650pony

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks

How did you find an installer? What should I look for in the phone book?

I ran into this guy at the Peoria IL auto show this spring so I already had his name. You could probably search on 3M protectant - that's what I did when I lived in MN and had my Escape tow vehicle done.

I just got off the phone with a local installer and he quoted about $600 at my house or in his shop. That was for the full kit using VentureShield, he said it would be more for the Scotchgard. He suggested doing the headlight and fog lights, any opinions?

headlights sure. fog lights no. those covers are like 30 bucks and they wont scratch. I wouldn't even do the headlights. In every car I've owned never once have I seen a chipped headlight.

So I shouldn't worry about bugs or pitting from sand and you have never ever seen any cracks in any headlight lens?

So I shouldn't worry about bugs or pitting from sand and you have never ever seen any cracks in any headlight lens?

Nope. In any car I have owned,friends have owned, family have owned, have never ever ever seen damage in headlights or fogs. A super old car from 2001 I had, had foggy headlights but clear bra won't protect you from that. Plus if your keeping this car for 10 years the HIDs will be dirt cheap by then.

You have to understand these clear bra guys are ALL trying to make money and sell you more shit than you need. Talk to Van about this stuff. He's one of the few I have talked to that actually tells you straight up how something is worth it or not.

How many miles are on your car and how often do your drive it per year? Just wondering because the whole thing looks brand new like you just bought it yesterday.

I have 8,300 miles on the car. I share my road time with my Harley Davidson and only drive it in the good weather.

Yea like Texas, where the roads aren't even paved....! What are you talking about? Texas has tons of very well constructed cement highways...unlike the asphalt up north. We do have plenty "rocky" roads in deep east Texas and in far west Texas..but the likelihood of someone in either of those locations purchasing a car like the GT500 is low.

Brownsville Texas here, and I just purchased one of these cars. As Southeast Texas as you can go without crossing into Mexico! Some streets suck there and there are a lot of small loose rocks on the street.

Some of the nicer cities have much better streets and roads though!

I would do the fogs. On my 08 with 22K miles, I seen that there was some pitting from debris hitting them. They are low and they will be prone to being hit by alot of small debris that can be like a sand blaster hitting them. I plan on doing the fogs at least on my new one when it comes in before it gets pitted.

I ran into this guy at the Peoria IL auto show this spring so I already had his name. You could probably search on 3M protectant - that's what I did when I lived in MN and had my Escape tow vehicle done.

"Escape tow vehicle"..... ummm, OK....biting lip...not working.... what do you tow with an Escape, mountain bikes? :) OK, sorry ...I couldn't help myself. I've never heard anyone call an Escape a "tow" vehicle.

I thought you people in Texas just got indoor plumbing last year and now I'm finding out you got paved roads too, damn, I guess I'm going too have to get out the house more?

I have actually met people..well it has been many years ago, but, they thought we rode horses to high school and wore six shooters on our hip....svt13 makes some very general statements about stuff he knows nothing about or very little at best...overall, good comment snoopy49!!

I have actually met people..well it has been many years ago, but, they thought we rode horses to high school and wore six shooters on our hip....svt13 makes some very general statements about stuff he knows nothing about or very little at best...overall, good comment snoopy49!!

That's really not true at all. But keep thinking that if you want. I speak from mine and others experience but oh well

If you want to be a sellers wet dream that's your business

I'll say in 2 years and 10K miles my headlights look brand new. I can't say anything about my fog lights since I've never looked at them that closely other than to clean the occasional bug off. I can't see putting a shield on either one making much sense but I guess it depends on the roads. Ohio has to have some of the worst roads in the country with the winter and construction months, and the bastards love to "chip and seal" the roads I travel most on.

Ohio has to have some of the worst roads in the country with the winter and construction months, and the bastards love to "chip and seal" the roads I travel most on.

Right there with you! The same can be said of Colorado.

I'll say in 2 years and 10K miles my headlights look brand new. I can't say anything about my fog lights since I've never looked at them that closely other than to clean the occasional bug off. I can't see putting a shield on either one making much sense but I guess it depends on the roads. Ohio has to have some of the worst roads in the country with the winter and construction months, and the bastards love to "chip and seal" the roads I travel most on.

^this

Its unneccessary unless you leave on really really crappy roads. This is not an off road vehicle. Regular roads shouldn't have rocks flying at you every 2 seconds. And at 30-40 mph the little pebble can't hurt your head light.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having my white/matte black stripes, 2013 done, I already have a few small nicks and chips in the front and in the rocker panels, and I take it easy most of the time.

and try to keep my distance from other cars. Most of them occurred I think on the freeway, though I have heard pebbles and things hitting the wheel wells on surface streets.

With only 600 miles on the car I decided to go with the xpel ultimate clear bra. Full front clip, headlights (which by the way already have a few little nicks in them)

fogs, rocker panels and rear quarters. The Xpel Ultimate film comes with a 10 year warranty, against yellowing, cracking, peeling, staining and hazing.

The stripes are not being covered, the clear bra will butt up against them. I am confident this installer will do the kind of job

that I expect as I reseached installers throughly in so. california. This installer may cost a little more than others, He was only a few hundred more

but I am willing to pay more for a professional installation that I know is being done right. I will post some pics when completed.

I'm having my white/matte black stripes, 2013 done, I already have a few small nicks and chips in the front and in the rocker panels, and I take it easy most of the time.

and try to keep my distance from other cars. Most of them occurred I think on the freeway, though I have heard pebbles and things hitting the wheel wells on surface streets.

With only 600 miles on the car I decided to go with the xpel ultimate clear bra. Full front clip, headlights (which by the way already have a few little nicks in them)

fogs, rocker panels and rear quarters. The Xpel Ultimate film comes with a 10 year warranty, against yellowing, cracking, peeling, staining and hazing.

The stripes are not being covered, the clear bra will butt up against them. I am confident this installer will do the kind of job

that I expect as I reseached installers throughly in so. california. This installer may cost a little more than others, He was only a few hundred more

but I am willing to pay more for a professional installation that I know is being done right. I will post some pics when completed.

I did the same thing yesterday to my car. You may want to consider doing your stripes as well. These stripes are much thinner than the 07-09 stripes. I already had a slight nick in my stripe and the installer did a great job repairing it. He put on a matte type film over the stripes and you can't tell it is there. I also had my windows tinted to 35 percent. I want to stay legal and not give LEO ant reason to pull me over. My installer is a little more but he does great work.

Saw an 07 grey with matt black stripes yesterday that had the clear bra on. Paint looked fine, but the part of the stripes covered by the clear shield were shiny while the rest were faded. Looked crappy. I guess if the entire stripes are done it would look fine.

My stripes that are coming on the 2013 GT500 are Sonic Blue, kind of metallic, I think they have a glossy finish, not flat, which may help them last longer if I keep the polished with Klasse all in 1 polish.

Archived