TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 GT500 as a daily driver

47 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going use your 2013 GT500 as a daily driver

• Yes
    • No
    • only for 2-3 seasons per year

So with brand new 2013 GT500s rolling off the line and hitting the dealer lots, It has got me going for a good but crazy question and I along with other members in your fellow Team Shelby family want to know: are you going to use your 2013 GT500 as a daily driver? :shift:

I know it sounds a bit crazy and 662 horsepower is a little too much to use for a daily commute and the grille is just a huge gaping hole, but there is always that group of people who are up to the challenge...

No. That seems way too expensive. I don't mean to say I can't afford it, but I'd like to be a little more conservative and frugal and not completely waste money that could be appropriated elsewhere. I will be trading my 2005 Malibu daily for a Dodge dart daily probably soon.

So I think I will be fine in that area.

JMO but if I had to use a muscle car as a DD I wouldn't have one..not just because of the fuel mileage issue but I don't care

what kind of car it is if you drive it every day you're going to get bored with it..at least I would anyway.

So with brand new 2013 GT500s rolling off the line and hitting the dealer lots, It has got me going for a good but crazy question and I along with other members in your fellow Team Shelby family want to know: are you going to use your 2013 GT500 as a daily driver? :shift:

I know it sounds a bit crazy and 662 horsepower is a little too much to use for a daily commute and the grille is just a huge gaping hole, but there is always that group of people who are up to the challenge...

I have 500 miles on mine. Been getting 17 mpg which was the same as my last car so ontrack to spend 3k a year on gas. That open hole really actually at least on my roads don't get anything in them besides the occasional giant moth thats easy to pluck out. I hated the hole and wished for a grill but now that I see it in person and see that nothing is happening I like it.

My car will be daily driven alllll year long.

Beaters are for *ussies :). DRIVE YOUR DAMN CARS. It's not a ferrari, this car is fixed with a hammer.

JMO but if I had to use a muscle car as a DD I wouldn't have one..not just because of the fuel mileage issue but I don't care

what kind of car it is if you drive it every day you're going to get bored with it..at least I would anyway.

I wouldn't get bored I have a friend who drives a 2011 Mustang California Special to and from school/work every day and I consider him one lucky SOB. It also spices up your commute a bit everyday knowing you are going to work in a Mustang. Yeah maybe driving a stick may be a bit annoying, but you might as well use something that you paid a lot of money for. Then again, that is my own opinion. I will see how it really goes when I go off to College in a couple of months and if I get get a side job and need a car. Then I will see if I enjoy driving a regular mustang every day.

I have 500 miles on mine. Been getting 17 mpg which was the same as my last car so ontrack to spend 3k a year on gas. That open hole really actually at least on my roads don't get anything in them besides the occasional giant moth thats easy to pluck out. I hated the hole and wished for a grill but now that I see it in person and see that nothing is happening I like it.

Beaters are for *ussies :). DRIVE YOUR DAMN CARS. It's not a ferrari, this car is fixed with a hammer.

Congrats on your 2013 and I hope you enjoy that little shot of boost every day merging into traffic. Sounds like a decent number you are getting MPG wise after break in. My mom's Edge gets 18 MPG which is decent for a V6 crossover under slight load. If you drive a V8 truck/SUV everyday to work, then fuel-wise, driving a GT500 is no different other than you have 662hp on you at all times. :peelout:

Amen for the daily beaters part. You definitely have the Jay Leno mentality in mind!

As for you situation, I can't help but to notice that you are from the northeast region. Are you going to purchase snow tires to use during the winter months?

Will 18" wheels fit on a 2013? The roads here are not the best, pot holes and drainage dips, and I would like a little more sidewall between the wheel and the road. It would also allow for a wider range of tire options.

That is a very dumb statement. I would rather apropriate the extra money I save in fuel and insurance costs on investments and family. No one has to pe a *ussy as you describe because they have different priorities, they are just that...Different!

For the record I will be driving mine, and often, just not everyday.

That is a very dumb statement. I would rather apropriate the extra money I save in fuel and insurance costs on investments and family. No one has to pe a *ussy as you describe because they have different priorities, they are just that...Different!

+1

I wouldn't get bored I have a friend who drives a 2011 Mustang California Special to and from school/work every day and I consider him one lucky SOB. It also spices up your commute a bit everyday knowing you are going to work in a Mustang. Yeah maybe driving a stick may be a bit annoying, but you might as well use something that you paid a lot of money for. Then again, that is my own opinion. I will see how it really goes when I go off to College in a couple of months and if I get get a side job and need a car. Then I will see if I enjoy driving a regular mustang every day.

Congrats on your 2013 and I hope you enjoy that little shot of boost every day merging into traffic. Sounds like a decent number you are getting MPG wise after break in. My mom's Edge gets 18 MPG which is decent for a V6 crossover under slight load. If you drive a V8 truck/SUV everyday to work, then fuel-wise, driving a GT500 is no different other than you have 662hp on you at all times. :peelout:

Amen for the daily beaters part. You definitely have the Jay Leno mentality in mind!

As for you situation, I can't help but to notice that you are from the northeast region. Are you going to purchase snow tires to use during the winter months?

Yes I am getting a pair of pirelli sottozero gen 2 for the winter. We got zero snow here this past winter. It's mostly for the cold weather. Though most of winter it was above 50 lol. But yea I'll be getting winter tires. Though if it say snows 3 inches or more I still won't drive my car till the next day after it clears off the road.

How are you saving on insurance? If you are paying for insurance on 2 cars you are not saving. I pay 900 dollars a year for insurance on this car. If i got a beater and paid an extra 500 per 6 months how is that saving? As far as investments, I do lots of that and not quite sure how spending more money on a 2nd car saves you for either of these things you mentioned. I understand spending money on family but again a 2nd car does not save you money. As far as gas saving you are right. But the extra insurance cost will off set any gas saving unless you are driving a hybrid or electric car.

My statement is for the people who will own this car and drive it 2000 miles a year, and inbetween drive a 20 year old civic or something of that sort. Keeping it for the weekend driver is fine if you can afford it. But I wouldn't buy this car then buy a piece of shi.....t 5k car to drive instead lol. Thats retarded on every level. Don't buy a 60k car then.

I pay 900 dollars a year for insurance on this car.

What insurance company are you using and what kind of coverage do you have? I can't believe a 23 year old male can get full coverage insurance on a $65,000 muscle car for $900 a year.

What insurance company are you using and what kind of coverage do you have? I can't believe a 23 year old male can get full coverage insurance on a $65,000 muscle car for $900 a year.

I call total BS...I have a sterling driving record, am 60 years old, have my homeowner's insurance with the same firm, and have the discount around having been with the same company for 20+ years. The insurance on my 2013 GT500 is around $1100-$1200/year and I live in Texas where the rates are cheaper that the northeast.

I call total BS...I have a sterling driving record, am 60 years old, have my homeowner's insurance with the same firm, and have the discount around having been with the same company for 20+ years. The insurance on my 2013 GT500 is around $1100-$1200/year and I live in Texas where the rates are cheaper that the northeast.

lol I don't know what to tell you, I was beyond shocked. My rate was originally around 1400 but apparently both my parent's houses are on nationwide and you get a discount for good grades or w/e so that dropt me to my current price. The houses did so more than the good grades discount. But I also get discounts for having a viper security system in my car and guidepoint GPS. So essentially its close to impossible to steal my car or anything happening to it without my knowledge.

lol I don't know what to tell you, I was beyond shocked. My rate was originally around 1400 but apparently both my parent's houses are on nationwide and you get a discount for good grades or w/e so that dropt me to my current price. The houses did so more than the good grades discount. But I also get discounts for having a viper security system in my car and guidepoint GPS. So essentially its close to impossible to steal my car or anything happening to it without my knowledge.

Like I said...total BS..show me the pics!!

I felt like not responding, but If I put full coverage insurance on my GT500 for 12-15 K miles a year I was looking at around 2100 after some discounts. My current Malibu I own outright therefore I only pay liability coverage, making sure if I am at fault the person I hit is taken care of, if I have medical costs, my insurance from work covers it, and I have enough of a safety net to take care of my own damage on that vehicle. I bought it for $1500, so I have very little to lose. So I save by paying on limited usage on the GT500 (around 5K miles per year) and that cost me around $1500 a year the liability on the Malibu is about $35 a month. so together they are around $1920. If I put daily driver status coverage on my GT500, I would be paying $200 more. Gas we already established I'd be saving on. I never said YOU DON'T INVEST...

I stated I do, therefore I would like to use a portion of those savings to put back into investment accounts, I never said you didn't or you should do this or that.

Your statement calling people names is baseless. I understand what you want to say "Get out and drive your car!" but you can learn to use tact and actually say it in that way. I will be driving my car those 5K miles a year, but that is all I see myself puttin on the odometer, no more. In some cases maybe less, since I spend some time out of the country for work.

And congrats on getting insurance for $900 a year, It is hard for me to believe this, but if it is true, then Great for you!

I don't have that luxury. I have no parents I am done with school and I don't want a cumbersome alarm on my car.

Everyone just has different priorities that is all!

I done wit school to but u still get the discount. I didn't really want the alarm I just wanted the remote start but I thought y not have extra security

Maybe you should go back??

LOL! I kid I kid, I am a jokester and make plenty of grammatical errors all the time as well!

I am just jerkin your chain on this one!

Take care man!

Maybe you should go back??

LOL! I kid I kid, I am a jokester and make plenty of grammatical errors all the time as well!

I am just jerkin your chain on this one!

Take care man!

Very interesting I forgot am, with, and too. Most likely I sent that from my phone then. haha

I have 5 Fords (2012 F350, 2004 F150, 2008 GT/CS, 2013 GT500, and a 1966 Coupe Trans Am restomod) and I drive my GT500 to work every day that weather will permit. Oh, and yes I'm married but she is obviously very understanding.... :)

In Ohio, I get about 9 good months a year of Mustang driving before I have to put them away and switch over to the trucks. IMO, the factory GT500 tires should not be on the road in temps under about 50 degrees. I was blown away last fall driving my 2012 GT500 once the temps began to drop. The goodyears turned into rocks at 50 degrees and i could not even merge onto the highway with getting half sideways trying to accelerate.

As far as getting bored by driving it as a DD, I don't see that ever happening. I look forward to my commute each morning and afternoon, as it is often the highlight of my day. :) It never fails to put a smile on my face and to remind me why I go to work each day. After all, there is nothing quite like looking over at corvette and camaro owners only to have them look away to avoid your glance...... Priceless.

Take care

Kevin

If I ever get mine (ordered 9 weeks ago, still unscheduled) I plan to use it as a daily driver outside of going to work. I carpool with my wife downtown in a hybrid. I plan to do all other routine driving in the new car, though, especially with all the creature comforts and technology upgrades. I'm playing it by ear also - might take the new ride to work as well, but downtown DC has tons of construction and bumpy roads - not to mention the littering of irresponsible bicycle riders who ignore traffic laws and don't even bother to look around before breaking those laws. Sometimes I feel like I'm driving in the Phillipines <rant>.

I drive mine daily....well i did for about a year and a half. I've been driving my 95f350 science project for the. Last 3 months. But i have no issues with it as a DD. And I'd drive a new one daily without thought. As far as gas, we had an avg of 800 A month going for a while. The shelby gets better Mpgs than anything I've got. As far as insurance. I'm 29 great record with usaa home cars life etc and pay about 2400 a year on the shelby alone so I'd Like to see his bill also.a

My only issue with her as a DD is I've taken. A LOT of road rash with this car. It attracts it i guess. So i get a lot of days ruined lol

My only issue with her as a DD is I've taken. A LOT of road rash with this car. It attracts it i guess. So i get a lot of days ruined lol

Is it mainly from the front tires, If so, would the gravel guards (mud flaps) that attach to the back of the wheelwells eliminate most of the problem?

No mainly from other vehicles. I've got a few rock chips. 3 fixes on my front glass worse was driving down the highway about to exit. My choice was roll throttle,pull in front of minivan, exit. Or tap brakes,roll behind said minivan and exit. I chose poorly. Rolled in behind right as she ran over a pickup truck rubber bed mat. She kicked it up and i plowed it doing 70. Sounded like i took my front end off. I had about an hour of elbow grease to get the scuff off. But it cracked my lower splutter. Not bad. U really can't see it but i know its there. I also came out to someone that had kissed my rear bumper and tore a stripe.

Just the joys of a DD car. My last mustang it was tires. I went thru probably 4 sets in 3 years from picking up nails bolts had a side wall tear. Ran over what looked to be left over from a motorcycle wreck. I had his brake Leaver in my tire. But yet my old beaters get no abuse lol

Moral of the story for me is i bought it to drive. She's an 09 with 31k miles. I bought her2 years ago with 14k miles. The road damage is the nature of the beast. I hate seeing it just sit (infact it is "for sale " right now) i might just have to get the pig out tomorrow

I drive mine daily....well i did for about a year and a half. I've been driving my 95f350 science project for the. Last 3 months. But i have no issues with it as a DD. And I'd drive a new one daily without thought. As far as gas, we had an avg of 800 A month going for a while. The shelby gets better Mpgs than anything I've got. As far as insurance. I'm 29 great record with usaa home cars life etc and pay about 2400 a year on the shelby alone so I'd Like to see his bill also.a

Maybe your paying so high because of your state or maybe cuz USAA isn't good? Geico wanted to charge me 1800 per 6 months even though I have a history with them. So I dropped them. I literally called 20 insurance companies till I found nationwide and they gave me the best rate. But again, I had pretty much every discount applied to get that rate.

Archived