TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Not a 200 MPH Car

COBRA32

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only Cummins that would come close to that is either a KTA600 or a QSK 19 with a ton of modifications, the ISX self destructs at 850 hp in less than a year after being modified.This is an electronic CAT C-16

That's what I thought - I have yellow blood - worked for them for 25 years - gave me the means to buy a shiny new 13 Shelby. Nice work on the C-16 - makes me proud.

That's what I thought - I have yellow blood - worked for them for 25 years - gave me the means to buy a shiny new 13 Shelby. Nice work on the C-16 - makes me proud.

You'll get a kick out of this than. This is the way they should run from the factory. The injector tips flow 7.05kg/min, the injectors flow 920cc per 1000 strokes at 1600RPM. My knowledge of tweaking these engines is going to pay for the 2013 I am scheduled to pick up Friday.

th_truckidle1001.jpg

Here is a video of a truck pulling a sled with a CAT 1MM 3406E 15.8L I worked on. This engine dynoed at 2000 Hp and 5400lb-ft last winter on an engine dyno. I think with the tweaks so far it has gained another 100 Hp since than. I'm working on some injectors with a fellow in Australia that we are planning on using a 7.222 kg/min 10 orifice tip from a 3500 series to see if we can atomize the fuel better.

This is a father and son, the father is ole school in the 72 KW A model with the stripes, with the son in the solid blue 95 Peterbilt 379, The old man runs a Cummins QSK 19, while the son is running a CAT 3406E 15.8L. So far this year the CAT has only lost one pull. This engine has been beat on extensively on the dyno with a minimum of 75 dyno pulls before going in the truck. The bottom end is bone stock CAT and it is twisting some high RPM with a custom flash file. The engine hasn't broken anything, you guys know how to build a tough engine. If we can raise the Hp above 2300 this winter Jerry will try to move up into the Hot Rod Semi's next year.

Wow! Forgive my ignorance on trucks of that nature but as "stock" looking as they appear are they streetable? The fuel economy must rival a Boeing 747, what kind of 0-60 or 1/4-mile times would they be capable off?

In regards to professional drivers, I find the vast majority of on the road truckers to be extremely courteous on the highways. Something I can't say about many of the left lane bandits in 4-wheelers doing 61 mph or towing a U-Haul trailer at 75 mph and darting back an to in traffic.

Wow! Forgive my ignorance on trucks of that nature but as "stock" looking as they appear are they streetable? The fuel economy must rival a Boeing 747, what kind of 0-60 or 1/4-mile times would they be capable off?

In regards to professional drivers, I find the vast majority of on the road truckers to be extremely courteous on the highways. Something I can't say about many of the left lane bandits in 4-wheelers doing 61 mph or towing a U-Haul trailer at 75 mph and darting back an to in traffic.

With someone that is capable of launching the truck from the line either of them should run a low 13 with trap speeds in thehigh 90 mph range. Cutting a light with a 22K Lb truck takes a lot of practice.

These trucks are licensed and must be driven to each pulling event with a functioning fifth wheel to pull a trailer, per the rules. The pulling hitch is locked into the fifth wheel the same as a trailer would be and can be removed in minutes. Now can they actually work pulling a loaded trailer on the highway? No. The reason for this is the class is also limited to a single turbocharger with the compressor wheel limited to 4.1" diameter at the inducer. Trying to spool a turbo of that size in the low to mid RPM range while cruising at a steady speed will not happen. The Pete will turn daylight into night with the smoke it produces driving at low RPM with the slightest amount of throttle input on the highway. Fuel mileage is a moot point with these trucks as they are purpose built for pulling that sled.

My truck toned down to 1100 RWHP with a smaller turbo and injectors can get as high as 6.3 mpg running a lot of interstate. Running local and dealing with constant urban traffic it will average 5.3 to 5.8 mpg depending on how hard you have to run to make the loads for the day. Stock it averaged 4.7 to 4,9 mpg doing the same work no matter how hard you tried to get fuel mileage. On average I purchased 17,000 gallons of fuel a year for one truck, that is roughly $75,000 in fuel expense alone at today price, in 08 at $5 a gallon it was brutally expensive to stay in business. The shipping rates haven't risen as fast as the fuel expense have in the last 10 years. Trucks are working dirt cheap in my opinion and this is why mine hasn't had a load behind it in almost 2 years.

Most of the experienced drivers that own their trucks are trying to get out of trucking. The reason for this is how much government regulations have been enacted and what the government wants to do in the future. One of the biggest changes was emissions this caused an unusually amount of warranty issues for the engine manufacturers. What the government never factored into the cost of changing the emission standards was the downtime incurred by the independents for the warranty issues. I know people that bought new trucks and went broke because it was in the shop constantly for emission repairs. The government mandate claimed that the cost to each truck would only be $3-5 each, When in reality it has been tens of thousands of dollars to upgrade the engines in each truck built today. The next big mandate will be a Electronic On Board Recorder to monitor everything I do in that truck. If I have to stop to use the bathroom I'll have to input that into the EOBR. When I'm home sleeping in my own bed, I'll have to input that into the EOBR before I can start the truck the following morning. The government says I'm a road safety hazard and need 100% of my activity recorded at all times..........F em, I'll never get back in a truck again when that starts in 2015

The problem with all of this is the new generation replacing the old guys. Have you ever seen how bad one of these guys drive? Texting, a laptop open and running while they drive and surf the net. The bad habits that you see young people committing in a car now..........think of that same attitude in a truck. The G-man wants continuity among each trucking company, but they take the individual spirit of the independent at the same time to do this. There is a reason that person is an independent trucker in the first place, take away his freedoms and he will quit and leave you the bottom of the work pool to do his good job.

This is awesome - I'll pass this on to the engine division guys. Thanks for posting this up. Great work - keep it up.

Thank you

If you look up Full Pull Productions or FPP ,Jerry Ray Hairhoger and PA Posse on YouTube you can see most of his pulls this year

With someone that is capable of launching the truck from the line either of them should run a low 13 with trap speeds in thehigh 90 mph range. Cutting a light with a 22K Lb truck takes a lot of practice.

These trucks are licensed and must be driven to each pulling event with a functioning fifth wheel to pull a trailer, per the rules. The pulling hitch is locked into the fifth wheel the same as a trailer would be and can be removed in minutes. Now can they actually work pulling a loaded trailer on the highway? No. The reason for this is the class is also limited to a single turbocharger with the compressor wheel limited to 4.1" diameter at the inducer. Trying to spool a turbo of that size in the low to mid RPM range while cruising at a steady speed will not happen. The Pete will turn daylight into night with the smoke it produces driving at low RPM with the slightest amount of throttle input on the highway. Fuel mileage is a moot point with these trucks as they are purpose built for pulling that sled.

My truck toned down to 1100 RWHP with a smaller turbo and injectors can get as high as 6.3 mpg running a lot of interstate. Running local and dealing with constant urban traffic it will average 5.3 to 5.8 mpg depending on how hard you have to run to make the loads for the day. Stock it averaged 4.7 to 4,9 mpg doing the same work no matter how hard you tried to get fuel mileage. On average I purchased 17,000 gallons of fuel a year for one truck, that is roughly $75,000 in fuel expense alone at today price, in 08 at $5 a gallon it was brutally expensive to stay in business. The shipping rates haven't risen as fast as the fuel expense have in the last 10 years. Trucks are working dirt cheap in my opinion and this is why mine hasn't had a load behind it in almost 2 years.

Most of the experienced drivers that own their trucks are trying to get out of trucking. The reason for this is how much government regulations have been enacted and what the government wants to do in the future. One of the biggest changes was emissions this caused an unusually amount of warranty issues for the engine manufacturers. What the government never factored into the cost of changing the emission standards was the downtime incurred by the independents for the warranty issues. I know people that bought new trucks and went broke because it was in the shop constantly for emission repairs. The government mandate claimed that the cost to each truck would only be $3-5 each, When in reality it has been tens of thousands of dollars to upgrade the engines in each truck built today. The next big mandate will be a Electronic On Board Recorder to monitor everything I do in that truck. If I have to stop to use the bathroom I'll have to input that into the EOBR. When I'm home sleeping in my own bed, I'll have to input that into the EOBR before I can start the truck the following morning. The government says I'm a road safety hazard and need 100% of my activity recorded at all times..........F em, I'll never get back in a truck again when that starts in 2015

The problem with all of this is the new generation replacing the old guys. Have you ever seen how bad one of these guys drive? Texting, a laptop open and running while they drive and surf the net. The bad habits that you see young people committing in a car now..........think of that same attitude in a truck. The G-man wants continuity among each trucking company, but they take the individual spirit of the independent at the same time to do this. There is a reason that person is an independent trucker in the first place, take away his freedoms and he will quit and leave you the bottom of the work pool to do his good job.

Thanks for the info and also the commentary. I hear similar stories about government regulation intrusion from friends and family members in various small and independent business all the time now days. I hate to say it but the only "safe" jobs out there for the future seem to be government jobs and the last thing we need is bigger government. Sorry to get political but your plight also strikes a nerve with me too.

Good luck and enjoy the Shelby any time you can.

Given how one of the very first modifications I have planned for my '13 is 3.55's, somebody's clearly more worried about paper tigers than I am.

I wouldn't think 3.31 to 3.55 would be much of a change. Granted 200 mph is a moot point for 99.9% (or more of us) as a 2010 to 2012 with limter removed is capable of 185 at the redline in 5th or add a tune and pullies, bumping the redline up to 6500 rpms and touch 190 plus. Enjoy your rocket, I mean ride. ;)

Thanks for the info and also the commentary.

Good luck and enjoy the Shelby any time you can.

You're welcome

The Shelby is going to replace the need to drive a high Hp vehicle on a regular basis, I hope. Driving and working a truck with this much power is very addicting. You have no idea what it is like to move that much weight with this kind of power and torque. Blindly fast acceleration in a auto is one thing, but pure Hp at work is something totally different. I bought a Raptor thinking it would help, but it doesn't have the power I want. I'm hoping the Shelby will conquer the desire for power, while at the same time giving me the framework to modify into a true Hp monster as time passes. In woking street trim the truck produces 1300 HP with 4400 Ft-Lbs of torque at the flywheel. That is addictive as a daily driver.

It is really amazing how fixated some enthusiasts are about this 200 MPH thing. Forget about it, its stupid. For all intents and purposes nobody is going 200 MPH in a street driven, street legal Mustang. The mere thought of that is both laughable and quite scary at the same time. The chest beaters who boast about their "200 MPH Mustang" are likely the same guys that all the penis enlargement products are marketed to.

It is really amazing how fixated some enthusiasts are about this 200 MPH thing. Forget about it, its stupid. For all intents and purposes nobody is going 200 MPH in a street driven, street legal Mustang. The mere thought of that is both laughable and quite scary at the same time. The chest beaters who boast about their "200 MPH Mustang" are likely the same guys that all the penis enlargement products are marketed to.

That must have come from the Camaro forum. :hysterical2:

That must have come from the Camaro forum. :hysterical2:

Big article in the Sept 2012 issue of HOT ROD Magazine about a 2012 Lingenfelter modified Camaro ZL1 hitting 202.67 mph on the 8.5 mile oval Continental Tire Proving Grounds in Uvalde, Texas. Lot of mods to boost the power to 720 hp including 109 octane fuel. In a side article a Chevy Aero Engineer says the 2012 Camaro ZL1 needs an extra 170 hp (over stock) to hit the 200 mph mark.

The next page over is an article called, "The '13 Shelby GT-500, Baddest Mustang Ever". Pretty good Mustang article for HOT ROD (LOL).

I know this is off the subject again but thank you for posting.Back in 1998 I got my CDL and drove locally for 5 years.I had enough of the politics and ristrictions and changed my career.Even though I do not have my CDL,I still respect the road with the truck drivers.It is scary to think that the new generation drivers are picking up the new bad habits behind the wheel of these rigs.Sad to say but sounds like to me the use of this technology is needed.I do miss the driving part.All I have to say to all the TS members out there is that if you love your life,family,or your Shelby for that matter,respect the road for these trucks.Some of the drivers have been around for years and love seeing these hot cars on the road,but shake there heads when being cut off.Every now or than when I pass a semi,I signal them to honk their horns.I think they like that kind of interaction. Save "200 mph" for the track.For those of you out there wondering whats the big deal about "200 mph" when you can not drive at that speed anyway.The answer is simply;its not that you can't drive that fast llegally , but have the ability to drive that fast.I don't even own one, yet I know that.

I know this is off the subject again but thank you for posting.Back in 1998 I got my CDL and drove locally for 5 years.I had enough of the politics and ristrictions and changed my career.Even though I do not have my CDL,I still respect the road with the truck drivers.It is scary to think that the new generation drivers are picking up the new bad habits behind the wheel of these rigs.Sad to say but sounds like to me the use of this technology is needed.I do miss the driving part.All I have to say to all the TS members out there is that if you love your life,family,or your Shelby for that matter,respect the road for these trucks.Some of the drivers have been around for years and love seeing these hot cars on the road,but shake there heads when being cut off.Every now or than when I pass a semi,I signal them to honk their horns.I think they like that kind of interaction. Save "200 mph" for the track.For those of you out there wondering whats the big deal about "200 mph" when you can not drive at that speed anyway.The answer is simply;its not that you can't drive that fast llegally , but have the ability to drive that fast.I don't even own one, yet I know that.

well stated....

Big article in the Sept 2012 issue of HOT ROD Magazine about a 2012 Lingenfelter modified Camaro ZL1 hitting 202.67 mph on the 8.5 mile oval Continental Tire Proving Grounds in Uvalde, Texas. Lot of mods to boost the power to 720 hp including 109 octane fuel. In a side article a Chevy Aero Engineer says the 2012 Camaro ZL1 needs an extra 170 hp (over stock) to hit the 200 mph mark.

The next page over is an article called, "The '13 Shelby GT-500, Baddest Mustang Ever". Pretty good Mustang article for HOT ROD (LOL).

So...it takes all those mods in a zl1 to go as fast as a stock GT500? :hysterical:

mullens,

You nailed it. Ford got 200mph out of the 2013 Shelby GT500 on the Nardo Ring test track http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Nardò_Ring which sits near sea level http://maps.google.c...&gl=us&t=h&z=13 in the boot heel of Italy where there's cool dense air.

The domestic 196mph run (seen below at 8:00) was achieved at Chrysler's APG http://en.wikipedia....Proving_Grounds in Yucca, AZ which has an elevation of almost 2,000 ASL http://maps.google.c...&gl=us&t=h&z=14 and had an ambient air temperature of approximately 100 degrees on the day of the test.

There's no question the 2013 Shelby GT500 is a 200mph+ car under favorable conditions.

Some very valid points you brought up here. Too bad the Magazines don't bring that info to light in their articles?

All that and no factory warranty.

None of that matters, as subjective as this is...It is still an ugly fat beast! The outside is ok, but the inside and fattyness is not.

Most buy on brand loyalty, then looks, then Power I would assume. At least that is where I fall Sort of. Well maybe it is looks, power, than brand loyalty LOl!

Archived