TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Not a 200 MPH Car

COBRA32

you do know that the ZL1 borrows a whole lot from big brother right? The GT500 borrows a few parts, but nowhere near as much as the ZL1. The GT isn't even sold anymore, so the Shelby has no big brother. I would say that you made a mistake if you think you aren'y getting the value here where you would have with the ZL1. They say a fool and his money are soon parted. Not saying you are a fool, but if you think better value is had from the ZL1, form an economic standpoint and that is your argument, you are better off buying a ZL1. I actually like the ZL1, and almost bought one, but something about Ford, Shelby, the legacy and 663 HP drew me in. I think Ford did a fine job. If you oversimplify by saying "We paid a $5,000.00 premium for 112 HP" then you are sadly misinformed. This car had a lot of R&D put into it. 196MPH better than ZL1, Quarter Mile, Better than ZL1, 662HP, Better than ZL1, 631 FT LBS TQ, Better than ZL1, Estimated 24/18 MPG, Better than ZL1. Plus YES they are asking for more money for add on packaged, but they are available, another tax from R&D

The car is worth it. The value is there. You just might not see it because your are holding on to the whole suspension thing. Come on man forget about that. It is a marvel in Autoracing what Chevrolet has done with that Magnetic Suspension, but it is theirs and they have had it for quite some time. Maybe Ford was behind the curve, and has something WAY better than that waiting in the wings.

One final point. There is a MAJOR point of technology used in the Shelby we often forget about. Remember when the made the engine from a 5.4 to a 5.8? Yes that is right, Ford owns the that Archweld technology they used (or co-owns maybe) to make improvements on the motor.

All I have to say is instead of saying the ZL1 is more of a value, look hard past "just suspension" and you'll find your car has a lot more value than meets the eye. Ford did a fine job and the value is there, just really focus on it, and start to smile, while writing this....I did!

-Luis

I was cross shopping the ZL1 and shelby. I know full well the ZL1 is a bunch of borrrowed parts. Hence why they can charge a cheaper price because there was less development in it when compared to the shelby. I am not saying the zl1 has more value than the shelby. I think they are both equal value. GM went the suspension route shelby went the engine route. If they both focused on suspension and engine well then these cars would be much more than 60k.

I say 5k for an extra 100 hp because the suspension is still lacking. Its far improved over 2012 but I mean ford should have done this at the beginning when they made the performance package. It seems as though they kind of half assed it at the beginning and then since people really started complaining and modifying the shelby to make it better, ford saw this and did it themselves. Imagine if this model came out in 2010 when the 2011's came out. Then if it was even further improved now my god we would have the best car under a 150k. But thats just me dreaming :).

I picked the shelby because it looked better and was faster. I think the interior of the camaros are shit. Plus I really like the nav system and glass roof that the mustang offers. Plus the gas milage is awesome for a 660 hp car that is warrantied. Since this car is my DD that is important for me. Your exactly right though on the tech in the engine that is 100% first class. I just wish the rest was like that too. Kind of like maybe some variant of a ford gt suspension in the shelby. That would have been super nice. I would have paid an extra 10k for that.

But thats ok, this car is still extremely awesome and whoops 99% of cars on the road and get thumbs up and looks every time I drive it which is awesome. I'm just a picky person with these things haha. No this is a great car though especially for how cheap it is. I just nit pick too much.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol. Don't act like a butt hurt fanboy. I love my car. Doesn't mean I can't say its not worth the price I paid when another company did close to the same for a cheaper price. But thats ok. A 458 italia or gallardo aren't worth 300k either. The only car REALLY worth every penny you pay for is maybe MAYBE the GTR. The shelby is PRETTY damn close but still 5k over priced isn't bad. But Ford will change this with the new redesign. I just want this one because I'm pretty sure the new one is going to look like shit. Plus according to the spy shots they are using the same body but with an IRS. If thats the case I will swapping my rear for the new IRS one.

The only one that appears butt hurt is you. You're the one that paid $5K too much. :hysterical:

One day you're praising this car and the next you're hating. You should put down those magazines. They offer subjective opinions and performance facts. If you prefer a more comfy car for delicate vaginas, then this car is probably not for you. However, if you want the baddest musclecar ever, then you made the right choice. Do you plan on racing your car at the track every weekend to get the most of it's handling capabilities out of it? If so, did you order the track package? You won't notice the handling difference between your car and the zl1 on the street. Chill out dude, you have the baddest Mustang to date yet and your still not happy. It's not perfect, but what car is?

How do you know the new Mustang will look like shit? Are you on the design team for Ford?...or do you have a crystal ball? What spy shots are these you talk about? Are these official from Ford?...or are they just the hundreds of different artists renderings out there? At this time, we don't know what it looks like yet. One thing we can be sure of is that it will be an improvement over the current model. Maybe you should've just waited or bought a GTR. I'm sure you would've been happier, well probably not. :baby:

The only one that appears butt hurt is you. You're the one that paid $5K too much. :hysterical:

One day you're praising this car and the next you're hating. You should put down those magazines. They offer subjective opinions and performance facts. If you prefer a more comfy car for delicate vaginas, then this car is probably not for you. However, if you want the baddest musclecar ever, then you made the right choice. Do you plan on racing your car at the track every weekend to get the most of it's handling capabilities out of it? If so, did you order the track package? You won't notice the handling difference between your car and the zl1 on the street. Chill out dude, you have the baddest Mustang to date yet and your still not happy. It's not perfect, but what car is?

How do you know the new Mustang will look like shit? Are you on the design team for Ford?...or do you have a crystal ball? What spy shots are these you talk about? Are these official from Ford?...or are they just the hundreds of different artists renderings out there? At this time, we don't know what it looks like yet. One thing we can be sure of is that it will be an improvement over the current model. Maybe you should've just waited or bought a GTR. I'm sure you would've been happier, well probably not. :baby:

Did you not see the spy shots of the mustang gt with IRS being tested? Go google it. I think autoblog had them. Also anything with the ford evos in mind just sounds horrible to me. I think they are just going to change the front up a bit since they just redesigned the back tail lights. I think they are just going to make the front look more like a evos or w/e. If I could afford a GTR I would have gotten it but oh well.

And yes I will be one of the few who will track the car though I know full well this is not an ideal track car. I just want to do it for fun. And I am not a delicate vagina I just don't think ancient set ups(though as good as this one may be) should still be around. What would you think if the front suspension wasn't independent and was still using a single axle?

But again I don't care to talk about this anymore. I like the car thats all there is. I'm not brand loyal or America auto loyal. I just like cars.

I feel like its time for svt13 to pop a pic in his avatar of his GT500.... I am quite curious to see it.

How do I do that? I actually just took a bunch of pictures of the car on my phone after just finishing washing it.

...And yes I will be one of the few who will track the car though I know full well this is not an ideal track car.

...I like the car thats all there is.

I can't help but point out the irony in both of these statements... You plan to be "one of the few who will track the car", but you don't understand how the supercharger/boost gauge works and you've having trouble mastering the clutch. You've also been pretty critical of a vehicle you claim to own and "like". :headscratch:

I can't help but point out the irony in both of these statements... You plan to be "one of the few who will track the car", but you don't understand how the supercharger/boost gauge works and you've having trouble mastering the clutch. You've also been pretty critical of a vehicle you claim to own and "like". :headscratch:

Is there something confusing about that statement? How many people DO YOU know tracks their shelbys? Not a drag strip, A TRACK. And just because I was having trouble with the electronic gauge doesn't mean I cant drive the car. I've never been to a track so I'm going to go learn. How else do you start racing? Were you born with the skill? As far as adjusting to the clutch, there are plenty of people who have said they stalled because this clutch is very weird. Maybe if you drive one you'll see for yourself.

As far as claiming to own. Well I guess your suspicions about me must be correct and I don't really own this vehicle, and I just like to waste my life on this forum asking random questions about it pretending I own it for some kind of self gratification :).

Svt13,

Have you gone up on Fords website and looked at the offers that you qualify for with your new car. One of the offers is a discount rate to a driving school. You should check it out.

I don't know if your making a joke about a regular driving school or if you are being serious about a track driving school. But I am going to my uncles up in michigan to a track there where his friend is going to instruct me since he is a professional teacher.

No joke. I believe the discount is for Bondurant, but I could be wrong. Go up on Fords site and register your car and then you will be able to see all the offers and schedule and track your service calls.

I'd bet that Ford's deal is with Miller. It was in the past. Bondurant now uses Chevy products (Corvettes) in his classes. I still went and will go back maybe next spring if I can get caught up in work since my schedule will be slammed starting in the first week in August for at least a year.

I couldn't find the deal on Fords website, but I think it would be easy to find if I had a GT500 registered. I went to Bondurant's website and it looked like GM central, that's why I said that I may be wrong about Bondurant.

Anyone who is serious about driving this car anywhere near it's limit needs to look into a good driving school. The most important thing you will walk away with is knowing what will get you killed. Sometimes knowing what not to do is more important than knowing what to do.

I couldn't find the deal on Fords website, but I think it would be easy to find if I had a GT500 registered. I went to Bondurant's website and it looked like GM central, that's why I said that I may be wrong about Bondurant.

Anyone who is serious about driving this car anywhere near it's limit needs to look into a good driving school. The most important thing you will walk away with is knowing what will get you killed. Sometimes knowing what not to do is more important than knowing what to do.

This is why my uncle says buy a lotus to drive around the track and not a shelby. Incase I wreck it.

I did the 4-day class at Bondurant last year. I was going to take my Ford GT this spring to the advanced 3-day class. They will let you drive your own car if you want since there are only two or three others on the track at the same time. They recommend, however, using your own vehicle the last day or 1/2 day since you will go through a set of tires and brakes in the 3 days. My goal was to learn the limits of my vehicle, not a Corvette Z06 or the Formula Mazda (which was my choice for the first two days). The experiences in the other cars are absolutely applicable skills, but until you try them on your car with its unique brakes, transmission/clutch, and handling you don't know what you can do and you can't do those things "on the street". I'm still looking for a place I can safely do a 0-100-0 run and lock up the ABS. Not on any roads around here (or at least not without going to jail).

I was going to do the class on the way to the Shelby 50th and then go to Vegas but the weather conditions in March - the probability of snow and ice going over all the major passes that direction - made me withdraw from both. If next year's "bash" is in late April or May I may reconsider the same plans.

How fast can they go stock? This car can go 200 because of the aero and tall gearing. The 07-09 would need the cooling and tall gearing and probably more horsepower than the 13 to achieve this like the shelby 1000. Or just cut out your grill :)

How fast can they go stock? This car can go 200 because of the aero and tall gearing. The 07-09 would need the cooling and tall gearing and probably more horsepower than the 13 to achieve this like the shelby 1000. Or just cut out your grill :)

Exactly. The car is very powerfull as we all know but gets the 200 with the help of the taller gearing. The 200MPH bragging rights thing is stupid, who cares, who in their right mind is going to pilot a street driven vehicle to 200 MPH, that is for idiots. I get a good laugh when I hear new owners of these cars remark about the "smoothness" of the power delivery via the tame rear end ratio. Save the "smoothness" for your luxury car.

Same can be said for the ZL1 and it's Ring time. No one keeps official times on the Ring for manufactures and there are no requirements for what qualifies as a 'stock' car.

That said and to be fair; GM has a video on YouTube showing the recorded Nurburgring ZL1 lap time but Ford has (edited) none (!)

Although Ford went there two times with the late GT500...(once under 12' "aspect" and once under 13' full prod. spec.)-

They did not event publish any time at all...

That said and to be fair; GM has a video on YouTube showing the recorded Nurburgring ZL1 lap time but Ford has (edited) none (!)

Although Ford went there two times with the late GT500...(once under 12' "aspect" and once under 13' full prod. spec.)-

They did not event publish any time at all...

I think they have to rent out the entire track to do that. So I guess they didn't care as much as GM? GM used it as marketing to sell this car to more people. Ford used the Ring to tune the suspension so it became deserving of what should be on a 60k car, hence why its almost the best live rear axle around.

Basically GM is doing everything they can to make money.

Exactly. The car is very powerfull as we all know but gets the 200 with the help of the taller gearing. The 200MPH bragging rights thing is stupid, who cares, who in their right mind is going to pilot a street driven vehicle to 200 MPH, that is for idiots. I get a good laugh when I hear new owners of these cars remark about the "smoothness" of the power delivery via the tame rear end ratio. Save the "smoothness" for your luxury car.

I agree 200 mph is crazy. This past weekend for 2 seconds I went up to 150, but thats as far as I am comfortable to go. Too scared to go any higher. I don't know why anyone wants to make their car go 200 unless they live in Germany and drive on the autobahn.

Basically GM is doing everything they can to make money.

LMAFO! And Ford isn't?

Glad I don't own FoMoCo stocks! <snerk>

Phill

LMAFO! And Ford isn't?

Glad I don't own FoMoCo stocks! <snerk>

Phill

They aren't trying as hard to the point they rent out the ring just to sell the car. You know what I mean don't nit pick!

Besides FoMoCo stock isn't doing too well anyways, same as GM.

They aren't trying as hard to the point they rent out the ring just to sell the car.

You do realize GM used the ring to test and tune the car, like Ford did right? GM just published the times.

You do realize GM used the ring to test and tune the car, like Ford did right? GM just published the times.

OMG i give up. Jesus christ you know what I mean. The point is GM is trying harder than Ford is. They are trying to make the car bigger than it really is, is the point I am trying to get across.

Archived