TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A heartfelt thank you to all 2012 Carlisle participants

eagledriver

Andy it was great meeting you and as I said to you in Carlisle my wife and I had a fantastic time! Can't say I will ship the car out from WA every year but this year it was well worth it! Thanks for all your hard work.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get how popsicle sticks prevented cheating. The purpose of the poker run sheet is your cards are written on it by the one handing out the cards. Am I missing something here?

Thanks, Andy - for everything. You've got more energy than us all - tho I'm glad Gary got some food in you. : )

The popsicle sticks only had numbers on them. The first number on each popsicle stick represented the stop (1xx, 2xx, etc). The whole number (147, 226, etc) was then checked against a sheet that had the associated card. No one knew, other than the person who made up the sheets, what each number equated to. No way for a participant like myself to know what I had for a hand or to swap "cards" with someone else to get a better hand.

Mike

The popsicle sticks only had numbers on them. The first number on each popsicle stick represented the stop (1xx, 2xx, etc). The whole number (147, 226, etc) was then checked against a sheet that had the associated card. No one knew, other than the person who made up the sheets, what each number equated to. No way for a participant like myself to know what I had for a hand or to swap "cards" with someone else to get a better hand.

Mike

Mike, good to know and sounded like a great system. I just had no info at all on it so when asked I could not give an answer. No worries though, planning for next year will begin soon and we have the technology to make it better, build it faster, stronger LOL. Seriously though 2013 will be better than 2012 of that I can promise!

Mike

I understand that. Tho how is that better than giving out cards - and the one giving them out writes them on your poker run sheet? You can't swap cards. Your sheet is your hand. Popsicles were pointless.

Whew! The impossible has been done; what a great event! Monsoon rains Friday night, registration issues and everything else couldn't keep this event from being the largest Shelby gathering ever!

If I may take a minute and sincerely thank all those who attended :

The Ford team, SAI team , and BJ team were great and really made this event a fantastic one! However, they didn't make this event, YOU did. It took the 382 Shelby owners who attended to make this event. It simply would not have been possible without the friendship and camaraderie of Team Shelby. I can't thank you enough! Even my mid-Friday meltdown :censored: couldn't keep this event from reaching epic status. If anyone managed to get it on video I'd love to see how I fit through that 12" wide window LOL. In any case this was a great event and the one thing I keep coming back to is how many TS members that I never met before approached me and asked what they could do to help. That really meant a lot to me. It almost got to the point that I choked up at one point seeing how willing TS members whom I've known for 5 minutes offer anything they could do help.

Another emotional point: Those of you who know me know that I fall into the "garage/trailer/OCD queen" status with my Shelbys. Qtippping the undercarriage is my therapy. When I heard about Jersygator's accident I actually felt horrible and almost let that mood dictate my weekend. I figured he would call it a day and go home from the track. When I saw him and his son in the gator mobile lining up for the grand entrance it made me stop and think. Not even wrecking his prized Shelby could keep him from this event! Wow, that attitude is what inspires me to do as much for all of you as possible! He was as noble as any owner I've ever known and there was not a touch of anger in him, in fact he got the "Celebrity's choice" award for proven track history. Talk about making lemonade out of lemons! That attitude is what makes Team Shelby a second-to-none group.

For me personally the best moment of the event was Thursday AM. The SAI 50th vehicles were parked in a secure building and had to be moved out to set up the display vehicles in that building. I drove the Shelby 1000 ( I know, right?) about 500 feet enjoying every second of it. Afterwards John Luft approached me and said that I was the forst NON-SAI employee to ever drive it. I know it's a small thing but that made my day.

Oh, one last thing. After my my meltdown Friday ( which was because I am a checklist guy and when things have to change at the last second it doesn't go well :runaway: ), Gary Patterson stopped what he was doing and bought me lunch and gave me just the advice that I needed. What VP of a company will do that for a customer?? He really humbled me and showed that from the guy who can only afford a Shelby Tshirt right up through the guy who has 100 Shelbys, they are all the same to Gary. He is truly a great person.

Lastly, while it looked like it came together smoothly it John Keller and Tony Scalies to really make it happen. Tony single handedly took over the track portion of the event and John spent countless hours arranging the tent, dinner, parties, basically everything but the actually car show parts of the event.

When the Mayor of Carlisle changed the city charter to include the first Saturday of every June to be "Team Shelby and Carroll Shelby day" in Carlisle it showed just how much of an impact this event made to all.

Thank You!

Andy Roth

Andy...

Thank you for you kind words. But mostly thank you for all you did to bring this event to fruition. I can truly say I had a great time.

Right after I wrecked the car, and I'm OCD like you, I told my son that things happen for a reason. At the time I had know idea what it was. I was considering packing up and leaving. Then I talked with Gary and was convinced soldiering on was the right thing. I made amends with the gentleman that hit me and before you know it my car and I were held in celebrity status. Your comments helped as well.

I do it all over in a second!! Can't wait till 2013. And remember delegate. I did offer but didn't get to do a thing.

Peter

When the many last minute changes were made and communication broke down a bit, the months of planning and re-planning had to be scrapped for plan "Z".

Next Year's goal : DELEGATION !

What??!!! There was a plan "Z"? :drop: Was I supposed to be somewhere at a certain time, doing something to help out? If I was, I totally "spaced" and didn't show up to do my part. I mean, I must have been involved, right?.....otherwise why would in have been called plan "Z"? :hysterical2:

Delegation is the key...

I would say the vast majority of Team Shelby members are willing to help. As a good example of this, think back to the end of Friday nights dinner. As people were leaving, it became obvious that the room needed to be re-set back to the way it was, prior to the dinner. It also was evident that if we all left, there would be lots of work to do, and not many people left to do it. Without even being asked, people began collecting and stacking the folding chairs, clearing the center pieces off of the tables, removing the table linens, and even collapsing the tables and rolling them to their collection area. People did this because they just wanted to help, and didn't want to see any of their Team Shelby brethren get stuck cleaning things up until 3:00 am.....or later.

Shelby Girls...

In reading these posts I see that the major cause of your stress this past weekend centered around the Shelby Girls. We may have a difference of opinion here, but I didn't hear or see anyone offended by them. When I checked in, I was surprised to see them (as I was expecting your face, not theirs). They seemed well informed and found all my information, car decals, goodie bag, and credentials fairly quickly. A couple was checking in next to me. They were in their mid/late 50's, and the wife was telling the girls how attractive they looked in their outfits. She asked her husband if he noticed the Shelby girls, then asked the girls where she could purchase one of "those cute uniforms". Although I was solo for the weekend, if Mrs. Z was with me, I know her attitude would have been the same as the wife who was checking in next to me. In fact, Mrs. Z would have probably offered to take a few photos of me with the girls.

I don't know how much time you spent talking with the girls, and this is going to sound cliché, but as pretty as they all were, there personalities were equally as attractive. They were welcoming, cordial, and friendly. Their smiles were heartfelt and not forced. They posed for countless photographs, and made every person feel special while doing it. They carried on intelligent conversations, and one of them is even working on her doctorate degree......truly "not just a pretty face". I feel they represented Team Shelby very well. The fact that they were also beautiful ladies should not negate that.

Let me help you....

However, because I truly care about you, and don't want you to have to stress about the Shelby Girls next year, I will graciously allow you and John to delegate to me, any and all tasks involving working with and interacting with the girls. I realize this may be more work than I anticipate, and it will require much time to be spent with them, but I am willing to do it for you, just to make your life a little less stressful. I do this because I am a giving kind of guy, and I want to give something back to you in return for all the hard work you put in to making Carlisle an 'epic' event. I do this for you. B)

A somewhat 'tounge in cheek' Z-man

I don't get how popsicle sticks prevented cheating. The purpose of the poker run sheet is your cards are written on it by the one handing out the cards. Am I missing something here?

Thanks, Andy - for everything. You've got more energy than us all - tho I'm glad Gary got some food in you. : )

The sticks have a number on it. 100's for 1st, 200s for second, 300s for third stick, 400s for fourth stick, 500s for fifth stick. The number on the stick matched a chart Doug and Sandy made up.

Mike

I understand that. Tho how is that better than giving out cards - and the one giving them out writes them on your poker run sheet? You can't swap cards. Your sheet is your hand. Popsicles were pointless.

It goes back to years ago when we use to run these without someone handing out "cards", there was a can by the road with numbered discs (popsicle sticks) in the can. When you got to the check point you took a disc. This kept people from digging through the can for the best card to complete their hand. Conversely, if we were to fill out the space for each individual we would have had cars backed up into the road. The process seemed to speed things up, with the loan exception that there was nobody handing them out at the finish! I stayed in the tent almost all weekend waiting for people so I could fill in the blanks for them. In that respect I missed the chance to walk around and see the cars and swap meet.

What??!!! There was a plan "Z"? :drop: Was I supposed to be somewhere at a certain time, doing something to help out? If I was, I totally "spaced" and didn't show up to do my part. I mean, I must have been involved, right?.....otherwise why would in have been called plan "Z"? :hysterical2:

Delegation is the key...

I would say the vast majority of Team Shelby members are willing to help. As a good example of this, think back to the end of Friday nights dinner. As people were leaving, it became obvious that the room needed to be re-set back to the way it was, prior to the dinner. It also was evident that if we all left, there would be lots of work to do, and not many people left to do it. Without even being asked, people began collecting and stacking the folding chairs, clearing the center pieces off of the tables, removing the table linens, and even collapsing the tables and rolling them to their collection area. People did this because they just wanted to help, and didn't want to see any of their Team Shelby brethren get stuck cleaning things up until 3:00 am.....or later.

Shelby Girls...

In reading these posts I see that the major cause of your stress this past weekend centered around the Shelby Girls. We may have a difference of opinion here, but I didn't hear or see anyone offended by them. When I checked in, I was surprised to see them (as I was expecting your face, not theirs). They seemed well informed and found all my information, car decals, goodie bag, and credentials fairly quickly. A couple was checking in next to me. They were in their mid/late 50's, and the wife was telling the girls how attractive they looked in their outfits. She asked her husband if he noticed the Shelby girls, then asked the girls where she could purchase one of "those cute uniforms". Although I was solo for the weekend, if Mrs. Z was with me, I know her attitude would have been the same as the wife who was checking in next to me. In fact, Mrs. Z would have probably offered to take a few photos of me with the girls.

I don't know how much time you spent talking with the girls, and this is going to sound cliché, but as pretty as they all were, there personalities were equally as attractive. They were welcoming, cordial, and friendly. Their smiles were heartfelt and not forced. They posed for countless photographs, and made every person feel special while doing it. They carried on intelligent conversations, and one of them is even working on her doctorate degree......truly "not just a pretty face". I feel they represented Team Shelby very well. The fact that they were also beautiful ladies should not negate that.

Let me help you....

However, because I truly care about you, and don't want you to have to stress about the Shelby Girls next year, I will graciously allow you and John to delegate to me, any and all tasks involving working with and interacting with the girls. I realize this may be more work than I anticipate, and it will require much time to be spent with them, but I am willing to do it for you, just to make your life a little less stressful. I do this because I am a giving kind of guy, and I want to give something back to you in return for all the hard work you put in to making Carlisle an 'epic' event. I do this for you. B)

A somewhat 'tounge in cheek' Z-man

Z,

I am glad you had a good experience with them. Many others did not and we can agree to disagree about them. :) Ok, I'm done talking about the "girls"...

I wish we could have talked more there instead of me yelling Hi as I ran past LOL.

Z,

I am glad you had a good experience with them. Many others did not and we can agree to disagree about them. :) Let's not forget also that they were paid to smile and be friendly... Ok, I'm done talking about the "girls"...

I wish we could have talked more there instead of me yelling Hi as I ran past LOL.

At least you said Hi to him... all you did to me was flip me off.....

j/k we did talk a little

Z,

I am glad you had a good experience with them. Many others did not and we can agree to disagree about them. :) Ok, I'm done talking about the "girls"...

You mean to tell me that the girls were paid to smile and be friendly to me......duuuude, I am totally crushed. :cry: I thought they liked me because of my rugged good looks and 'devil may care' demeanor. Finding out it was their assignment for the weekend somehow make me feel less macho.

My offer to assist with them next year is recanted and off the table. My offer to help you in any other areas you can use my assistance most seriously still stands (just let me know what you need my friend).

Andy, we certainly can agree to disagree about the presence of the Shelby Girls. We both seem to value each others opinions, even if we draw differing conclusions about peoples perception of their presence.

I too am done talking about this subject.......let's move on to the next topic please!

You mean to tell me that the girls were paid to smile and be friendly to me......duuuude, I am totally crushed. :cry: I thought they liked me because of my rugged good looks and 'devil may care' demeanor. Finding out it was their assignment for the weekend somehow make me feel less macho.

My offer to assist with them next year is recanted and off the table. My offer to help you in any other areas you can use my assistance most seriously still stands (just let me know what you need my friend).

Andy, we certainly can agree to disagree about the presence of the Shelby Girls. We both seem to value each others opinions, even if we draw differing conclusions about peoples perception of their presence.

I too am done talking about this subject.......let's move on to the next topic please!

Absolutely my friend! I'll talk with you this evening. Don't forget the Z-camera!

Hey Andy,

I was behind you on Saturday when Gary Patterson took a close up pic. of you ,showed it to you and started laughing. That was right before you guys went up on stage to do the presentation of the record. He is such a nice person.Earlier in the day he let my better half take a pic. of him and I .(it is framed and hung on wall). I had a great time. PS My shelby is #184 on the list of most in one gathering. Ed

Awesome job by everyone...DELEGATION is key. Andy next your you and John can be the puppet masters.

Was really nice to meet alot of great people. Now to match up makes to screen names.

And Doug_GT350...I know your name is Doug...aka I have a radar detector and drive the speed limit. :poke:

The only way this event could have been better would had been no rain. :sing_rain:

Everyone did a kick ass job.!! :worship:

Hey Andy,

I was behind you on Saturday when Gary Patterson took a close up pic. of you ,showed it to you and started laughing. That was right before you guys went up on stage to do the presentation of the record. He is such a nice person.Earlier in the day he let my better half take a pic. of him and I .(it is framed and hung on wall). I had a great time. PS My shelby is #184 on the list of most in one gathering. Ed

Gary is simply one of the most down to earth guys I've ever met. A true class act!

The sticks have a number on it. 100's for 1st, 200s for second, 300s for third stick, 400s for fourth stick, 500s for fifth stick. The number on the stick matched a chart Doug and Sandy made up.

...which is interesting, but entirely unnecessary. It acutally takes away from the fun of seeing your hand build as cards are dealt. You only know your hand when you turn in your sticks.

I don't want to belabor this, but it just seems people don't get the idea of the poker sheet. You don't fill it out yourself. When a card is given out - the one givng them out writes it on your sheet - and initials it. Swapping of cards is pointless - as is giving out sticks. Your sheet is your hand - and the cards are your souvenirs.

Awesome job by everyone...DELEGATION is key. Andy next your you and John can be the puppet masters.

Was really nice to meet alot of great people. Now to match up makes to screen names.

And Doug_GT350...I know your name is Doug...aka I have a radar detector and drive the speed limit. :poke:

The only way this event could have been better would had been no rain. :sing_rain:

Everyone did a kick ass job.!! :worship:

Blondie,

You "other" car is awesome! It sounds like we will be in touch for the cruising again for next year. I spoke with John last night and he already has ideas for 2013 :drop:

He is a great director and I was going to say we have a great group of members in the NE but I think it would be better to say a great group of members from ALL regions! The distance traveled by many was incredible.

Next year I want to actually meet everyone personally instead of doing 14 thousand checklists at once! The Carlisle staff was so impressed by our group that they are having the GM and Mopar clubs review our event for ideas. We also set the all time highest single club affiliation number in Carlisle history (38 years)! Nowhere to go but up!

I've learned through my short lifetime.... that when you have 10 to 12 highly visible cars driving together at the speed limit (or slightly above) you attract attention. When you take the same group of cars speeding down the highway you attract Johnny Law. I didn't want to be the cause of someone elses misfortune. Not to mention that my radar detector is not the newest technology. Sorry.... maybe next time.

In an ever changing world of conformity ( :barf: ) and politics, Shelby Girl has lasted because this brand understands that it's part of our iconic fabric. Shelby and the Shelby community beats to our own dream and that's truly a great attribute in today's world of mediocrity.

Keeping that in mind, we all have to make sure that we don't tarnish the image of Shelby Girl into something sleezy - we don't want Shelby Girl to be the type of image that you'd find on the front cover of a hop hop or custom import magazine.

In an ever changing world of conformity ( :barf: ) and politics, Shelby Girl has lasted because this brand understands that it's part of our iconic fabric. Shelby and the Shelby community beats to our own dream and that's truly a great attribute in today's world of mediocrity.

Keeping that in mind, we all have to make sure that we don't tarnish the image of Shelby Girl into something sleezy - we don't want Shelby Girl to be the type of image that you'd find on the front cover of a hop hop or custom import magazine.

is this sleezy?!?!!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Warg4_xqUNY&feature=player_embedded

Hey Robert, All the big guys came out but you and Sharon had to man the shop ? LOL next year my friend..

The girls were not sleazy or "import-ish" at all (if that's even a word). Just some families were a bit taken aback, that's all. They added some distraction at least and took hundreds of photos throughout the weekend. You well know that in every event there is always a small percentage that objects to something. It just can't be helped. I'm sure they will be back next year :)

Overall the feedback is 99.999% positive and in the coming months John, Tony and I will be starting to plan next year's event. *closes eyes, breathes dep and says "delegation"* LOL

Archived