TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How long did it take you to get a build date & VIN?

Pardon me quoting myself, but a perfect example of this just happened, where a significantly disproportionate number of Race Red and Ingot Silver cars were just scheduled relatively close to one another. This becomes increasingly frequent as year-end build-out approaches and Ford starts to decide upon what it's going to make to fill-out remaining model year stocks.

nice, I just ordered a race red convertible so hopefull mine is in that batch

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello! First post here. I have read through this entire thread and gained a lot of valuable information -- especially concerning the amount of time I can expect to wait until my car is delivered. I ordered my car on Sept. 24. Thanks to you guys, I made sure I got copies of the VOC and the DORA. I called SVT yesterday, and the person on the other end confirmed that my car is "in the system" but is "unscheduled." Now I guess I, too, get to go through the waiting process that some of you have sufferred through.

As a couple of people admonished, I'll try to be patient. I'll update my sig pic when I get my new baby.

Rick

what's the number for SVT?

You would think that with all the unallocated confirmed orders in the order bank, Ford would be better off filling what are essentially sold orders rather that gambling on unsold factory orders.

Only if the particular orders happen to be most profitable for Ford to produce. A DORA means absolutely nothing except an acknowledgment of terms between dealer and maker under which the proposed car WOULD be made.

what's the number for SVT?

Bugging SVT every week really doesn't have any effect upon anything. They just watch the pipe like everybody else and have control over nothing. They won't know any sooner than your dealer if a particular car is getting made.

Bugging SVT every week really doesn't have any effect upon anything. They just watch the pipe like everybody else and have control over nothing. They won't know any sooner than your dealer if a particular car is getting made.

True, but I found it helpful to call once a week - gave me something to look forward to. And actually, every time there was a change in status, I found out before the dealer did - most likely because they were nowhere near as anxious as me ;-)

I don't think a DORA guarantees that your order was allocated. You need to ask your dealer to prove that it was covered by an allocation. An unallocated order will still show up in the system and will be unscheduled, but without an allocation it will never be built.

Can my dealer produce a document that proves my order was covered by an allocation?

My dealer’s salesman, his boss, and his boss’s boss all said they had one (of two) allocations left. The other two dealers in Albuquerque had used up their allocations. The general sales manager of my dealer offered to hold my $2,000 deposit on the allocation itself for one week, pending my decision – which I thought was a fair offer, given the scarcity of allocations around town.

Meanwhile, my particular dealer had three 2013 BOSS 302s sitting on the showroom floor, collecting dust. And NOT ONCE did anyone pitch me on one of those cars. Why? Because they knew I was a serious GT500 buyer. (One of those BOSS 302s was right next to our table, so I was able to check out the Recaro seats – upgrade decision made, right there!)

Point being, if the dealer’s sales staff wasn’t confident in their ability to fill my order for a GT500 (through the allocation they claim they have), then why didn’t they at least make an effort to get one of their expensive dust-bunny BOSS 302s out the door?

Being a salesman by trade myself (in an entirely different industry), maybe I give these people too much credit. But I think it’s pretty much universal knowledge that making promises you can’t keep is bad for business – and I’m working with a dealer who has a good reputation around town. I doubt they’d want to tarnish that reputation by making promises they knowingly can’t keep. Which is why I’m confident that they have the GT500 allocation that they claim they have.

As to my original question, if you know of such a document that I can ask for -- as a reasonable request – then please let me know, and I will ask. Thanks!

In the meantime, if the VIN doesn’t come through in a few weeks or so, I’ll get over it, get my deposit back, and find another opportunity.

Rick

Rick,

I haven't found a way to confirm an allocation and Ford will not help. You just have to rely on your dealer being honest with you. My dealer admitted to the lack of an allocation after I confronted them.

Maybe one of the dealer/members can come up with a way to prove it.

I have heard, but have no first hand knowledge, that the dealers who have legitimate allocations know the estimated date for production. Hopefully someone with first hand knowledge will confirm or deny this assumption?

Dealers have a general window for their allocations - and dates by which they must be used or lost. These fluctuate throughout the year depending upon the dynamic environment that includes some 3,000 retail stores.

Rick,

I haven't found a way to confirm an allocation and Ford will not help. You just have to rely on your dealer being honest with you. My dealer admitted to the lack of an allocation after I confronted them.

Maybe one of the dealer/members can come up with a way to prove it.

Welcome to the club, Snoopy. Pretty disheartening after 13+ weeks of (empty) promises... I took out my frustrations via scathing letters and phone calls to the dealership's CEO, the local BBB, the state AG, and Ford Customer Relations. Now, my dealer claims they're going to get a November/December allocation with which to fulfill my order. I'll believe it when the keys are in my hands. In the meantime, I'm cruising the net looking for any that meet my option and price requirements.

This is a list of the colors available on cars.com and the number available. I hope your looking for a black or red car.

Black (44)

Blue (15)

Gray (10)

Red (30)

Silver (5)

White (9)

Other (10)

Convertible (20)

Coupe (103)

123 New Ford Mustangs

Keep in mind, some of these cars are not really for sale, they were ordered cars that show up in the search.

I'm most definitely looking forward to making a 200mph pass.

I wouldn't have the balls to do it. Most definitely not.

I do look forward to owning a '13 GT500 that is supposedly capable of such a speed, but let's remember that the test mule(s) they used were outfitted with full roll bars and other safety equipment. And this was in a closed, test environment, with all kinds of crew available to ensure the test's success and safety. Outside of that, one's results may vary.

It's good to know, though, that even if my order for a '13 GT500 is not fulfilled, my puny little 4.6L four valve -- with a little work -- is also capable of 200 mph:

It's an old video. Maybe you've already seen it. The Web site "200mphracing" no longer exists. Not sure why.

Rick

This is a list of the colors available on cars.com and the number available. I hope your looking for a black or red car.

Black (44)

Blue (15)

Gray (10)

Red (30)

Silver (5)

White (9)

Other (10)

Convertible (20)

Coupe (103)

123 New Ford Mustangs

Keep in mind, some of these cars are not really for sale, they were ordered cars that show up in the search.

The key is the cars in the pipe headed to dealers that aren't already claimed.

I wouldn't have the balls to do it. Most definitely not.

I do look forward to owning a '13 GT500 that is supposedly capable of such a speed, but let's remember that the test mule(s) they used were outfitted with full roll bars and other safety equipment. And this was in a closed, test environment, with all kinds of crew available to ensure the test's success and safety. Outside of that, one's results may vary.

It's not like I'm just going to get in the car, turn the key and head to my nearest stretch of interstate, but I'm not going to go about welding cages into it either. Nor do I expect to do it more than once (well, maybe twice). Having driven for hours at 160+ this summer, it quickly became perfectly "normal" - whether on the Autobahn or Autostrada whose roads are much LESS well-maintained overall. I'm perfectly comfortable poking my head out and above in limited bursts until the car either maxes-out beyond 200 or it doesn't.

Can my dealer produce a document that proves my order was covered by an allocation?

My dealer’s salesman, his boss, and his boss’s boss all said they had one (of two) allocations left. The other two dealers in Albuquerque had used up their allocations. The general sales manager of my dealer offered to hold my $2,000 deposit on the allocation itself for one week, pending my decision – which I thought was a fair offer, given the scarcity of allocations around town.

Meanwhile, my particular dealer had three 2013 BOSS 302s sitting on the showroom floor, collecting dust. And NOT ONCE did anyone pitch me on one of those cars. Why? Because they knew I was a serious GT500 buyer. (One of those BOSS 302s was right next to our table, so I was able to check out the Recaro seats – upgrade decision made, right there!)

Point being, if the dealer’s sales staff wasn’t confident in their ability to fill my order for a GT500 (through the allocation they claim they have), then why didn’t they at least make an effort to get one of their expensive dust-bunny BOSS 302s out the door?

Being a salesman by trade myself (in an entirely different industry), maybe I give these people too much credit. But I think it’s pretty much universal knowledge that making promises you can’t keep is bad for business – and I’m working with a dealer who has a good reputation around town. I doubt they’d want to tarnish that reputation by making promises they knowingly can’t keep. Which is why I’m confident that they have the GT500 allocation that they claim they have.

As to my original question, if you know of such a document that I can ask for -- as a reasonable request – then please let me know, and I will ask. Thanks!

In the meantime, if the VIN doesn’t come through in a few weeks or so, I’ll get over it, get my deposit back, and find another opportunity.

Rick

Ask the dealer to contact their Regional Rep, they are the only ones that know the build month. If your suspect of the answer ask for the email chain as proof.

• 1 month later...

Ask the dealer to contact their Regional Rep, they are the only ones that know the build month. If your suspect of the answer ask for the email chain as proof.

Thanks! I did that in sort of a round about way -- and it worked!

After seeing some cars on the street, I changed my mind on the color. I wanted to change from Race Red to Red Candy. I called my rep on his cell phone on a Friday evening a couple of weeks ago. He was at home, and said he wasn't sure the change could be made. He got back to me the following Monday morning. He said he contacted his regional rep. He said the change had been made, the regional rep assigned a higher priority number to my order, and my rep said that this is a good thing.

My rep has been pretty punctual about calling me every Monday morning with updates as to my order status.

He called me this past Monday with good news: a build date of December 17. He promised to give me the VIN as soon as he has it. I believe him.

I called SVT this morning to confirm -- I was in bad need of some good news this morning -- and the gentleman on the phone confirmed a build date of December 17 (based on my order number, dealer number, and my name). He also confirmed the order change to Red Candy.

Not that I'm not all that enamoured with my car being built on a Monday during holiday season, but who am I to complain? (I wonder whether the day a car is built has a bearing on the car's quality isn't just an urban myth. Evidence, anyone?)

The guy at SVT also said that the estimated date of delivery to my dealer is December 31. If that turns out to be the case, it would be a hell of a New Year's Eve party -- within the safe confines of my garage!

Rick

Rick, I wouldn't worry too much yet about the build date being on a Monday. Mine was initially a Monday also, and I later found out that it was really just the build week, and subject to change. When it got closer to the build week, the actual day ended up being a Tuesday. If you check with SVT weekly, I would not be surprised if the date changes a little as you get closer. Once your window sticker is created, which has the exact build day on it, it's pretty much locked in at that point, from what I was told.

My dealer's sales rep called this afternoon to give me my VIN. Evidently, the dealer DID have the allocation they told me they had when they accepted my deposit.

After having to endure the nonstop hate and deceit of this year's election cycle, it's been refreshing to work with a dealer who's been exemplary in extending the increasingly rare value of good will towards men -- with their truthfulness, responsiveness, and understanding of my wants and needs. (Those last 10 words are a brief MBA course on how to make a lot of money as a salesman.)

Of course, if there's even the slightest ding or dent or flaw when I take delivery, I will go ballistic! Well, not really, because I know they will take care of it. Actually, my rep, Jason, seems just as excited as I am. And I am excited!

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Archived