TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How long did it take you to get a build date & VIN?

Squirrel007 - i have been jealously watching this board all summer as others got their cars built and delivered. Have called my dealer twice a week for the past 3 months. Turns out they only had one allocation and i was the second order they took. Just got the second allocation approved 4 weeks ago. My color is going to be the mirror opposite of my 08...

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fact of the matter is the ETA changes almost daily on our screens. I give my customers daily updates on the arrival of their cars, but there is no way ANY dealer can give you a firm date and tell you with 100% certainty that it will be correct. My personal car was ordered the day the allocation became available, entered into the system by me and I watched it daily (if not hourly sometimes... lol) and the ETA has bounced around by a week or more one way or the other. I can tell you for certain however that stripes add at least a week to the process in most cases. Stripe delete cars are rolling out considerably faster than most. Also, for some reason some cars sit in "Area 51" longer than others... could just be the logistics of getting enough cars on the same train going to the same location. Who knows... in any case, being informed is at least comforting to some new buyers (like myself) but is also akin to watching a pot.

I can tell you for certain however that stripes add at least a week to the process in most cases.

Stripes affecting timelines may be more perception than reality. Of the almost-3,100 MY '13 units scheduled so far, just more than 400 feature Stripe Delete (a much lower overall rate than prior years) which are interspersed among every other with no discernible variation one way or the other.

The only tendency that sometimes manifests itself is the ganging together of certain paint colors which can pull forward or push back a particular car, but only by days. Nothing more.

Stripes affecting timelines may be more perception than reality. Of the almost-3,100 MY '13 units scheduled so far, just more than 400 feature Stripe Delete (a much lower overall rate than prior years) which are interspersed among every other with no discernible variation one way or the other.

The only tendency that sometimes manifests itself is the ganging together of certain paint colors which can pull forward or push back a particular car, but only by days. Nothing more.

speaking of that, how do they install the stripes exactly? just curious as i'm sure it's not by hand and it would be difficult for a machine to go over all the angles

Just a little stripe trivia for those who may be interested.

Matte Black is fat and away '13's stripe of preference - with twice as many as the next most common, Performance/Oxford White which is twice again as common as Medium/Colorado/Race Red which is just about twice as popular as Deep Impact/Sonic Blue.

Furthermore, there's a lone style/color/stripe combination that's yet to be made for MY 13 through September.

Just a little stripe trivia for those who may be interested.

Matte Black is fat and away '13's stripe of preference - with twice as many as the next most common, Performance/Oxford White which is twice again as common as Medium/Colorado/Race Red which is just about twice as popular as Deep Impact/Sonic Blue.

Furthermore, there's a lone style/color/stripe combination that's yet to be made for MY 13 through September.

Don't keep us guessing! I still have time to change my color and make it one of one!

FINALLY! picked her up today (just shy of 5 months since I ordered). Next steps - wax and a few pics :happy feet:

I am from Maryland as well. I am waiting for my build. October 22nd! If you do not mind let me know what you think of vehicle.

I have a 2010 Grabber Blue waiting to be traded in. What dealer did you go with? Congrads again!

So far, I am thrilled with it. Clutch took a few tries to get used to, but I have not stalled it or anything. The only mistake I made (once) was that I did not have the clutch 100% to the floor and went to go to 2nd, and hear a brief grind (barely moving, won't happen again) so make sure you push the clutch all the way!

Book says to wait 100 miles for WOT, and 1000 for competition style driving, so I'm going to wait out the 1000 miles before any "spirited driving" especially to make sure that the clutch is broken in properly.

I'm still trying to figure out the daytime running lights, and whether they are supposed to be on all the time. The manual is unclear. All is well with the car - drives very nicely and much more refined than my 2008. Wife was hesitant on the grabber blue but she is a fan now that she has seen it with the black stripes.

As far as the dealer, I worked with Apple Ford, and they ordered it at MSRP for me. They were AWESOME to deal with, and gladly accomodated all my picky requests when the car arrived. I think they have 2 new allocations, and if anyone wants to check with them, ask for Tom Greene, and let him know I referred you. I'd expect you'll get the same deal, provided that they do in fact have the allocations.

Won't be long now for you, mine was built on 9/18 and delivered on 9/28!!

So far, I am thrilled with it. Clutch took a few tries to get used to, but I have not stalled it or anything. The only mistake I made (once) was that I did not have the clutch 100% to the floor and went to go to 2nd, and hear a brief grind (barely moving, won't happen again) so make sure you push the clutch all the way!

Book says to wait 100 miles for WOT, and 1000 for competition style driving, so I'm going to wait out the 1000 miles before any "spirited driving" especially to make sure that the clutch is broken in properly.

I'm still enjoying having the '12 and '13 to drive back to back so often. They're VERY different cars - and the clutch is certainly one of the '13's most strikingly-different characteristics. Especially in conjunction with the 3.31 gears, it's a LOT easier to inadvertently stall when muscle memory accidentally takes over. I'm most definitely looking forward to making a 200mph pass. But once I do, the 3.31's will be among the very first things to change after having upgraded the entire suspension to billet - including a Watts Link.

I understand why Ford went with 3.31's, but I can't imagine a more "natural" sweet spot for the 5.8L and the current Tremec gearing than 3.55 gears in the back.

I don't think the 3.55 would be that much of plus on a 2013 for the money spent.

1st gear: For 0-60 Purposes

3.31 - 60 MPH @6380 RPM

3.55 - 60 MPH @6840 RPM

3.73 - 60 MPH @7180 RPM

5th gear:

3.31 - 65 MPH @2000 RPM

3.55 - 65 MPH @2145 RPM

3.73 - 65 MPH @2253 RPM

I don't think the 3.55 would be that much of plus on a 2013 for the money spent.

1st gear: For 0-60 Purposes

3.31 - 60 MPH @6380 RPM

3.55 - 60 MPH @6840 RPM

3.73 - 60 MPH @7180 RPM

5th gear:

3.31 - 65 MPH @2000 RPM

3.55 - 65 MPH @2145 RPM

3.73 - 65 MPH @2253 RPM

The difference would be VERY tangible.

That's the million dollar question, and why I started this thread (therapy to help in the waiting process). Honestly, I would say that is a reasonable estimate, but it could be shorter or longer. There are so many variables to it (most of which consumers don't have access to) that you just can't really narrow it down. You also have to be careful about pushing too many buttons with regional reps etc. because sometimes that trickles down to your dealer as implying that they are not being responsive to you. Earlier, I started sending out emails to reps etc digging for more info, and got my salesman in trouble with his manager. We straightened it out, but lesson learned.

My best advice to you is - if you can handle the wait (figure 5 months) and can be certain that your dealer actually has a valid order with an allocation in the system (SVT can verify), then you will be glad you did. I stuck it out, and now I can safely say it was totally worth it. The system could be much improved by keeping consumers more informed about the status, but that is just the way it is for now.

So - make SURE your order is in the system as valid, in process, and unscheduled, and then just wait. Call SVT on Fridays to check the status, and eventually it will break loose!

4.5 months, that's a long time to wait patiently. is that a common time frame or have they sped up production?

They generally build about 140 or so a week beyond the first month of Job 1, less exceptions for holidays and administrative scheduling etc.

The peak has been about 175 with weekly build totals fluctuating between 150 and 175 or so for the past 2 months.

Look or them to keep building right through the autumn as '14 will be essentially unchanged and builds will end far sooner in '13 than they otherwise would have to allow stocks of all types to thin organically without undue incentives to give the all-new car the clearest possible runway once it lands in April '14.

Best in mind, '13 is already nearly a month deeper into the calendar year than the '12s ever were.

Madlock, any idea where race red coupe/sonic blue stripes with glass roof, svtpp, recaros, and nav falls in the amount build/ combo totals?

I'll need to look, but offhand I'd guess its neither common enough to be considered common or scarce enough to be particularly rare.

Pardon me quoting myself, but a perfect example of this just happened, where a significantly disproportionate number of Race Red and Ingot Silver cars were just scheduled relatively close to one another. This becomes increasingly frequent as year-end build-out approaches and Ford starts to decide upon what it's going to make to fill-out remaining model year stocks.

This becomes increasingly frequent as year-end build-out approaches and Ford starts to decide upon what it's going to make to fill-out remaining model year stocks.

Does this mean that Ford determines the build on some of the cars as opposed to dealer and retail (sold) orders?

Does this mean that Ford determines the build on some of the cars as opposed to dealer and retail (sold) orders?

Yes - sometimes explicitly and sometimes by virtue of resource constraints. That's the purpose of "build out" at the end of each model year. And in some cases, if dealers haven't used their allocations by a particular point in time, Ford will build cars and offer them to dealers on a supplemental basis, sometimes under favorable terms which is MORE than offset by the benefits it derives in terms of the marketing and inventory foresight it provides and how closely it's able to operate on a JIT basis down to the last unit without paying for a nickel's worth of extra hardware than it's able to turn into salable product.

Of course, it's not quite THAT simple. There's much more to it, like Ford realizing it does nobody any good to have a only a hundred Grabber Blue unsold units at the end of the year, but it's very much the general idea.

You would think that with all the unallocated confirmed orders in the order bank, Ford would be better off filling what are essentially sold orders rather that gambling on unsold factory orders.

Now, you're applying logic and common sense to a process that was built on neither...

Hello! First post here. I have read through this entire thread and gained a lot of valuable information -- especially concerning the amount of time I can expect to wait until my car is delivered. I ordered my car on Sept. 24. Thanks to you guys, I made sure I got copies of the VOC and the DORA. I called SVT yesterday, and the person on the other end confirmed that my car is "in the system" but is "unscheduled." Now I guess I, too, get to go through the waiting process that some of you have sufferred through.

As a couple of people admonished, I'll try to be patient. I'll update my sig pic when I get my new baby.

Rick

I don't think a DORA guarantees that your order was allocated. You need to ask your dealer to prove that it was covered by an allocation. An unallocated order will still show up in the system and will be unscheduled, but without an allocation it will never be built.

Archived