TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Should we drive em????

Redlinetoys

Their is no debate: Carroll says drive them, then you drive them. If you keeping it so you can sell it for more money later on, then you really should not have bought it in the first place. I know this will rub some the wrong way, but if it does, then your probally the few that should not have bought the car in the first place.... Sorry, just Carroll's 2 cents, I just happen to agree.... (Legends never die and God knows that you will always be tearing up the track whereever you are!!!)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the problem with having multiple cars I guess - if i have a choice of commuting to work in my DD in lieu of the SGT, and avoiding the risk of damage, dirt, dings, scratches, etc., there is a natural tendency to take the DD!! Then, when the weekend comes, and its raining or other sloppy weather - take the DD!! If its snowing and winter - take the DD!!!

So, as a result, less than 9K miles on the SGT after 5 years...

Meh!

I lived in CT (New London) and IL (Chicago) and managed to put 39k miles on my SGT before I let it go, sadly, for the Boss. I have a DD but enjoyed the car to the max on weekends. Almost never driven in rain and NEVER IN SNOW. You could seriously eat off the engine.

Meh!

I lived in CT (New London) and IL (Chicago) and managed to put 39k miles on my SGT before I let it go, sadly, for the Boss. I have a DD but enjoyed the car to the max on weekends. Almost never driven in rain and NEVER IN SNOW. You could seriously eat off the engine.

Wow, so all you did on weekends was drive?? I have too many family duties I guess!!

I brought mine home at the end of February. It has 601 miles on it. 460 of which came from dealer transfers and the ride home, 141 from leisure drives and burn-outs. Honestly I drive it whenever I want too. I enjoyed corrected the finish, polishing and waxing. It makes for nice garage art but when I do take it out it I love the adrenaline rush it gives me. Its a nice car and I love the way it looks, which is why I bought it. Personally I dont feel the need to drive all the time, for me its a toy I dont dump out the toy box and use every toy everytime I wanna play.

As far as value and being a collector car, I doubt they would appreciate, maybe 30 years from now nobody knows. I do know this, a low mileage, unmolested vehicle's are almost always worth more. 30 years from now two identical cars one with 50,000 and another with 5,000. The 5,000 mile car will pull more money hands down. For this particular car I dont think the return would out way not driving and enjoying it. Unless history repeats itself and the high horsepower car arent being made anymore, next year a manufacture will produce something bigger and better and you are left with old news, old technology, and the mental anguish of knowing you dont have the best anymore. Sure you can mod to bridge the gap, but so can the other guy.

I brought mine home at the end of February. It has 601 miles on it. 460 of which came from dealer transfers and the ride home, 141 from leisure drives and burn-outs. Honestly I drive it whenever I want too. I enjoyed corrected the finish, polishing and waxing. It makes for nice garage art but when I do take it out it I love the adrenaline rush it gives me. Its a nice car and I love the way it looks, which is why I bought it. Personally I dont feel the need to drive all the time, for me its a toy I dont dump out the toy box and use every toy everytime I wanna play.

As far as value and being a collector car, I doubt they would appreciate, maybe 30 years from now nobody knows. I do know this, a low mileage, unmolested vehicle's are almost always worth more. 30 years from now two identical cars one with 50,000 and another with 5,000. The 5,000 mile car will pull more money hands down. For this particular car I dont think the return would out way not driving and enjoying it. Unless history repeats itself and the high horsepower car arent being made anymore, next year a manufacture will produce something bigger and better and you are left with old news, old technology, and the mental anguish of knowing you dont have the best anymore. Sure you can mod to bridge the gap, but so can the other guy.

You're going to get a reputation if you keep talking good sense like this.

Amen

My '07 white/parchment GT/SC is a garage queen. I take her out and play with her then put her away nicely. Bought her with 5k miles a few months ago. She now has 7K miles. So she doesn't just sit, although 700 of those 2000 miles were to and from TASCA for the SC upgrade package. Too special a car to use as a daily driver. I had a GT500 for that, but recently sold that and got a FIAT 500 Lounge - what a blast! And I don't worry about where I park it. Drive 'em when it pleases you, but don't wear them out just getting from here to there.

I drive mine in the summer when it is nice out 18k after 4 years mainly because i have to many summer toys to let the SGT get all the fun. Mr. Shelby always said he built cars ment to be driven and driven hard so i take that to heart.

Drive 'em !! I hit 30K on the way home from Utah a few weeks ago. Last year I hit 20 states on our 10th anniversary 9-11 Mustang tribute run from L.A. to Washington D C. I drove it with Mustangs Across America in 2009. Also in 2009 was a road trip to Colorado Springs to the Rocky Mountain Mustang Roundup. Probably have done L.A. to Vegas at least half a dozen times.

On my bucket list is to drive the GT-C in all 50 states. So far I think I'm @ 22. Haven't figured out how to do the Hawaii leg yet !

Bought my 07 GT-H with 57k on her. I traded in a 2003 GT with 35k, so I was a little leary, but I haven't had any real problems. It's my DD, but I'm close to work and only work 3 days a week. Pretty much drive her daily, unless it's really nasty.

I honestly don't know if I would have done the same if I had bought it new. The high mileage and ex rental condition made it a pretty easy decision to enjoy the heck out of it!

I am now in the drive it camp. I will be attending the NE 50th celebration and was planning to trailer it. I just decided what is the point of having a car like this just sitting and gathering dust. Life is short. If you are fortunate enough to own a Shelby, drive it and don't worry about the small stuff.

Some of you will be happy to know that, since last Thursday, I have put another 960 miles on my SGT during my round trip to West Virginia / Carlisle for the 50th East event! I turned 10,000 miles on the odo in Carlisle and am now sitting at around 10,400 I think. To top that off, I even commuted to work in my SGT today- not that I wanted to but the wife had to travel today so we couldn't commute together as usual....

I'm a big fan of "one to stare at, one to beat around with".

Me too...in 6 weeks I'll be back in that mode...

Archived