TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Learned a lesson about driving in 40 degree weather, got VERY Lucky at the same time...............

William Rodgers

I saw a nice example of being careful yesterday.

This guy was behind me with a bright red 2002 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am; it looked great.

At the light he went into the left turn lane (he was alone) and made a U-turn; however, he did not cut the wheel enough or couldn't cut it anymore and did not cover the full turn. He stopped as his car was facing the curb, and (I could tell it was a manual) put it in reverse. He looked a bit embarressed, so he hit it hard backward, and threw it into, most likely, second or third. The problem was it had rained earlier, and the road was quite wet. He hits the heck out of the gas, and, go figure, his tires spin. He doesn't let off, he spins towards the curb badly; I swear he was a half an inch away, fishtailed back over toward the medium, yet again a half an inch away, fishtailed about 40 degrees sideway, and, after cutting into the opposite lane (on a large bridge-hill) managed to pull it back together.

I swore he was going to wreck badly.

Thank you, this was one of the first times I nailed second like I did. I have done it in 3rd many times, thankfully I was only in 2nd so the car was not going as fast, if I was in 3rd it would not have ended the way it did.

Agreed these are Amazing Vehicles, honestly I do not know what people do with more power than this??? I get it if you go to the the strip, but other than that what does having 700-800 HP do besides spin tires?

Glad to hear it all worked out alright. I have to admit that on an on-ramp headed home the back end has broken loose....a couple times (had to try again to see if it was just me). It is a whole different thing driving the SGT versus an Explorer and I am loving learning.

As far as the 700-800 Hp question....I don't think there really is an answer, just the owner having that $&it-eating grin everytime HP is mentioned.

This is the main reason i decided against SC...WIfe takes an occasional cruise...I could see her in Aisle 2 at Walmart.

This is the most powerful car I have had, I have had M3's and a 911, nothing was close to this kind of power. Thankfully my wife will not go near it. She drove it once before the SC and does not care to do so again.

I have a whole new respect for this kind of power.

Still glad I have the Supercharger, you should see what this thing does in 3rd, that is my favorite!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

John Walker (former director of sales of SAI) once told me (before my SGT/SC was shipped to me from SAI)" If you bury your foot in it in 2nd geer, make sure there is nothing in front of you, nothing in back of you, and nothing on the sides because it is going to want to rip the tires off the rims"

John was right.

That is awesome. Explains it perfectly. Props to John Walker.

Archived