TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT500 Badge Emblems: New at SPP

robertlane

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will the 50th anniversary emblems be available for owners of 2012 GT 500? They would be a nice as they are a banner year car.

Why is SVT calling the 2013 a "50th Anniversery" car? (says it on the 2013 GT500 sill plate)

1965 Mustangs were introduced in mid-year 1964 so '13 doesn't conincide with either. The GT500 didn't appear until '67 or '68 (right?) so that's not 50 years either.

Anyone know what gives?

Curious,

Phill

Why is SVT calling the 2013 a "50th Anniversery" car? (says it on the 2013 GT500 sill plate)

1965 Mustangs were introduced in mid-year 1964 so '13 doesn't conincide with either. The GT500 didn't appear until '67 or '68 (right?) so that's not 50 years either.

Anyone know what gives?

Curious,

Phill

http://www.shelbyautos.com/

It's the 50th for Shelby automobiles. He started in 1962.

http://www.shelbyautos.com/

It's the 50th for Shelby automobiles. He started in 1962.

Right, I understand the 2012 (TWELVE) SHELBY Super Snake as being a 50 year milestone but the 2013 (THIRTEEN) FORD GT500 Mustang is being labled as a 50th anniversery car, as evidenced by the door sill plates on it. Not the 2012 GT500, the 2013 GT500.

Again, my question is...WHY?

Phill

Right, I understand the 2012 (TWELVE) SHELBY Super Snake as being a 50 year milestone but the 2013 (THIRTEEN) FORD GT500 Mustang is being labled as a 50th anniversery car, as evidenced by the door sill plates on it. Not the 2012 GT500, the 2013 GT500.

Again, my question is...WHY?

Phill

The Shelby GT-500 will be a 2012 "1/2" intro model much like the 64 "1/2" Mustang was. However it will be titled as a 2013 just like the original early Mustangs introduced in April 1964 were titled as 1965 models.

We may see a "50th Anniversary" Shelby GT-350 for the 2015 model and who knows, maybe a "50th Anniversary" model Shelby GT-500 in 2017. We'll just have to wait and see, but for now it's a 50th Anniversary for Shelby American Period. B)

Where did you get these? I want them for my 2012!

If you go back and follow the thread you'll see it was in the first post (http://www.shelbysto...s7mk-1447-c.htm). In my haste and excitement I neglected to read it was for 2007 -2009 cars. However, I jumped on it and quickly ordered a set. They sold out very quickly. The side "wings" are the same for all years and fit perfect as you can see in the picture I posted. :camera:

I'm happy. I was able to use the side pieces but not the grill part. However one of the employees e-mailed me and sent me directions on how to adapt it to a 2010 and up or to send it back and exchange it when the 2010-12’s are available. I thought that was outstanding of him and superior customer relations on the part of Shelby Performance Parts. I will exchange it when the newer grill piece becomes available. :worship:

The present Cobra styled snake emblem (or something that looks similar) has been used on every Mustang Cobra since 1993 up through 2004. It is even used on the 2007 thru 2012 Shelby’s. However, I don’t own a “Cobra”. I own a Shelby GT-500 and want something that identifies it as such other than the side stripe.

I didn’t think much about it at first because I’m an old guy who really remembers the mystic of owning a Shelby GT-350 or 500 years ago and I knew I finally had one. But everybody wants to call it a “Cobra” including my wife (LOL). :wub:

To me a “Cobra” was the original AC Cobra’s with 260/289/427’s. Or the Ford built a full size “Cobra” in 1969 to 1971 (Fairlane or Torino Cobra’s) and then started building a Mustang Cobra in 1993 thru 2004. Not the cars built between 1965 and 1970. These were Shelby GT350 or GT-500’s and maybe Cobra Powered but not "Cobra's". :salute:

In 2007 Ford started building a GT-500 again but using the “Cobra” badges. It is a Shelby GT-500, not a “Cobra”. That is why I wanted “wings” ….. Hey, I’m an old guy who’s now happy with his Shelby GT-500 … and not a Cobra. B)

If you go back and follow the thread you'll see it was in the first post (http://www.shelbysto...s7mk-1447-c.htm). In my haste and excitement I neglected to read it was for 2007 -2009 cars. However, I jumped on it and quickly ordered a set. They sold out very quickly. The side "wings" are the same for all years and fit perfect as you can see in the picture I posted. :camera:

I'm happy. I was able to use the side pieces but not the grill part. However one of the employees e-mailed me and sent me directions on how to adapt it to a 2010 and up or to send it back and exchange it when the 2010-12’s are available. I thought that was outstanding of him and superior customer relations on the part of Shelby Performance Parts. I will exchange it when the newer grill piece becomes available. :worship:

The present Cobra styled snake emblem (or something that looks similar) has been used on every Mustang Cobra since 1993 up through 2004. It is even used on the 2007 thru 2012 Shelby’s. However, I don’t own a “Cobra”. I own a Shelby GT-500 and want something that identifies it as such other than the side stripe.

I didn’t think much about it at first because I’m an old guy who really remembers the mystic of owning a Shelby GT-350 or 500 years ago and I knew I finally had one. But everybody wants to call it a “Cobra” including my wife (LOL). :wub:

To me a “Cobra” was the original AC Cobra’s with 260/289/427’s. Or the Ford built a full size “Cobra” in 1969 to 1971 (Fairlane or Torino Cobra’s) and then started building a Mustang Cobra in 1993 thru 2004. Not the cars built between 1965 and 1970. These were Shelby GT350 or GT-500’s and maybe Cobra Powered but not "Cobra's". :salute:

In 2007 Ford started building a GT-500 again but using the “Cobra” badges. It is a Shelby GT-500, not a “Cobra”. That is why I wanted “wings” ….. Hey, I’m an old guy who’s now happy with his Shelby GT-500 … and not a Cobra. B)

1968 GT500KR uses a 428 Cobra Jet Engine, the Cobra Jet Engine is the main difference between a1968 GT500 and GT500KR. A few 1971 Mach 1's have the 351 CJ (Boss) and 429 CJ and 429 SCJ engines. I'm pretty sure there is Ford advertizing with "Cobra" in the discription of the Shelby GT500. "Cobra" is part of the blood line, and a good thing.

I agree the 2007(40th) and up should have had wings from the factory. That will be the only exterior mod I put on my Shelby, and my Chineese Dash Plaque for the interior.

1968 GT500KR uses a 428 Cobra Jet Engine, the Cobra Jet Engine is the main difference between a1968 GT500 and GT500KR. A few 1971 Mach 1's have the 351 CJ (Boss) and 429 CJ and 429 SCJ engines. I'm pretty sure there is Ford advertizing with "Cobra" in the discription of the Shelby GT500. "Cobra" is part of the blood line, and a good thing.

I agree the 2007(40th) and up should have had wings from the factory. That will be the only exterior mod I put on my Shelby, and my Chineese Dash Plaque for the interior.

:) The "Cobra (Jet) Powered" was a term similar to 390 cubic inch Ford sedans and station wagons in the 60's being "Thunderbird Powered" which was on the valve covers of those cars because the same engine could be found in early 60's T-Birds. Ford did the same thing with the 312 Thunderbird Special a decade earlier.

I guess I left out the 1976 &77 "Cobra II" and the 1979 "King Cobra, the years of the de-fanged Snakes (LOL), sorry Mustang II fans. :shrug:

• 2 weeks later...
have you seen the ones from Champion Mustang and these http://cgi.ebay.com/...T#ht_918wt_1159

Hmm, not bad. That's another option and I'm starting to turn blue waiting for Shelby go announce theirs.

Phill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They are available on the Shelby Store. I just purchased a set for my 2012. Here is the link - http://www.shelbysto...10mk-1447-c.htm

I installed the side emblems but they are a poor fit for this perfectionist. It's not the fault of the emblems, the cobra on both fenders is crooked and cannot be moved. I am left with an unsightly gap between the wings and the cobra on both sides. I guess I could try some heat and see if it moves. Does anyone know an easy way to remove the 2010+ grille without having to remove the front clip?

Colin

Does anyone know an easy way to remove the 2010+ grille without having to remove the front clip?

I just pulled my lower grille to install the Shelby KR Brake Duct Bezels and it's a bitch. And that was with the front facia removed. I don't think I'd like to try removing it on the car and FWIW, it's pretty easy to remove the front facia. After the first time, it only takes about 10-15 minutes to remove the facia. The grille takes more courage than work. I was fearfull of breaking off the keeper tabs but the plastic is pretty flexable and bends out so you can unclip the grille pretty easy. After the first one didn't break, I was a little more confident and went at the others with no problem. Then the grille just falls out in your hand.

Phill

post-26522-0-16423100-1334426689_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-16423100-1334426689_thumb.jpg

Thanks Phill. I had the front clip off just a few weeks ago to install a new heat exchanger but of course didn't have the wings then. It comes off real easy but I was hoping I wouldn't have to take it off again just for this. I'll maybe just leave it until the next time it has to come off.

Colin

they look very nice and fitment isn't an issue.....

as well many options to choose from, look at his other items :happy feet:

I ordered a set of these and if you notice it is 540 hp instead of 550-but they told me they would make the 550. The fit was very good.

They are available on the Shelby Store. I just purchased a set for my 2012. Here is the link - http://www.shelbysto...10mk-1447-c.htm

I installed the side emblems but they are a poor fit for this perfectionist. It's not the fault of the emblems, the cobra on both fenders is crooked and cannot be moved. I am left with an unsightly gap between the wings and the cobra on both sides. I guess I could try some heat and see if it moves. Does anyone know an easy way to remove the 2010+ grille without having to remove the front clip?

Colin

Thanks I will order these on Monday!

Archived