TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Modifying the 2013 Shelby GT500

supersnake94

106 members have voted

1. 1. Will you modify your 2013 Shelby GT500 once you get your hands on one?

• Yes
    • Yes, but little at a time
    • No

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

blahhh so now you all got me thinking I need to replace the JLT for this one even though that one is plug and play which I like. Ok so couple questions does this touch the valve cover or strut tower brace?

ANY oil separator is better than *no* oil separator.

It does appear one is superior to the other though.

Notice that I don't have one...yet. But only because I'm lazy.

Phill

ANY oil separator is better than *no* oil separator.

It does appear one is superior to the other though.

Notice that I don't have one...yet. But only because I'm lazy.

Phill

Thats why the JLT one is good. Takes all of 20 seconds to install :)

I wonder why Shelby in Las Vegas doesn't use them on any of their cars? They don't even offer one for sale.

Shelby has one in the R&D stage. There is a thread on it with Robert Lane saying it's in the works.

And they actually *do* use one, on the Shelby 1000.

Phill

Phil

I just looked at the Shelby 1000 brochure and it shows JLT's on both sides. I noticed that on the Moroso website, that they list a couple of oil separators for the Roush mustangs. I wonder if Roush uses one on their cars?

Phil

I just looked at the Shelby 1000 brochure and it shows JLT's on both sides. I noticed that on the Moroso website, that they list a couple of oil separators for the Roush mustangs. I wonder if Roush uses one on their cars?

I don't think the Roush cars use one but they might on the Stage 3 (supercharged version). They gave me a brand new Roush Stage 2 for a loaner when I had my truck in but I dindn't look much under the hood and since a Stage 2 is all handing upgrades, i kind'a doubt they'd put one on anyway. Stage 3 is the handling, body/aero and performance upgrades.

The JLT's in the brochure aren't what they use on the production cars and not what Shelby will be selling, from what Robert Lane has been saying. You can see the thread in teh Shelby Perf. Parts section, pretty far up on the list (someone just made a comment on it).

Phill

The Shelby 1000 must be the exception to the rule, I didn't see any other SAI cars with an oil separator.

Having said that, I will probably go with either the Moroso or the Bob's, I just need to do some further research. I definitely believe there is a legitimate requirement for the separator.

The reason there is no oil in the drivers side is because the drivers side supplies filtered air to the engine block through the drivers side valve cover fitting. This air is then pulled through the engine block and is sucked out through the PCV valve on the passenger side valve cover by the supercharger. The same thing happens with a normally aspirated engine, just at a lower vacuum. The PCV valve is actually a one-way check valve, it only allows air flow from the engine side to the supercharger or intake manifold and blocks the flow of air into the crankcase..

I wonder if the oil residue found on some of the intake components is from an oil type air cleaner like the K&N?

PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation.

Not going to touch my 2013. Nothing works as well as the factory, where all components are properly matched and tested. Learned my lesson on my prev car to not mess with success and the 2013 is success.

thats another reason why i go with jlt. It doesnt mess with the stock set up.,

Not going to touch my 2013. Nothing works as well as the factory, where all components are properly matched and tested. Learned my lesson on my prev car to not mess with success and the 2013 is success.

I'll just do the oil separator. I've seen that thing work.

question about the resonator delete. Will it change any other sounds that we hear? I will order the carbon fiber stock tube from JLT instead of resonator delete because it looks ugly but I only want to hear the supercharger since I don't really hear it at all now. But if it makes other engine noises louder then I do not want that. Can anyone chime in on this? thanks.

Reso delete just enhances the SC sound a bit. Does nothing else sound-wise.

Looks are subjective but I think the FRPP reso delete looks more OEM than the jlt. and it's a lot cheaper.

I'll probably sell the reso delete with the TVS to make it a complete kit.

I will order the carbon fiber stock tube from JLT instead of resonator delete because it looks ugly but I only want to hear the supercharger since I don't really hear it at all now.

Are you sure that the one JLT sells is not a resonator delete tube?

right the JLT tube serves same purpose, but better. Also looks better and fit is better. Will add even more sound and response to throttle because its less restrictive than the stock resonator and the FRPP delete

LOL....Nooooo, not quite.

The JLT tube is no better or worse than the Ford Racing resonator delete tube. They are both the same other than the material they are made out of.

Niether one gives you any more sound than the other and the JLT isn't going to give you ANY better performance, throttle response or sound than any other delete tube made.

Period.

The JLT tube is just a resonator delete tube made out of carbon fiber. The OEM intake resonator and the FRPP resonator delete tube are not "restrictive", at least not more restrictive than a JLT tube OR any other aftermarket tube. The Air Filter element is the biggest restriction in the system. You will gain NO flow advantage with either the JLT OR the FRPP tubes.

The aftermarket tubes will just lighten your pocket by quadruple over the FRPP tube, that's about the only difference. I don't care what the advertising hype says, there is nothing scientific to show otherwise.

Personally, I feel that if having the tube look like carbon fiber is your issue, get a FRPP delete tube hydrocarbon coated and you'll still be money ahead.

Phill

LOL....Nooooo, not quite.

The JLT tube is no better or worse than the Ford Racing resonator delete tube. They are both the same other than the material they are made out of.

Niether one gives you any more sound than the other and the JLT isn't going to give you ANY better performance, throttle response or sound than any other delete tube made.

Period.

The JLT tube is just a resonator delete tube made out of carbon fiber. The OEM intake resonator and the FRPP resonator delete tube are not "restrictive", at least not more restrictive than a JLT tube OR any other aftermarket tube. The Air Filter element is the biggest restriction in the system. You will gain NO flow advantage with either the JLT OR the FRPP tubes.

The aftermarket tubes will just lighten your pocket by quadruple over the FRPP tube, that's about the only difference. I don't care what the advertising hype says, there is nothing scientific to show otherwise.

Personally, I feel that if having the tube look like carbon fiber is your issue, get a FRPP delete tube hydrocarbon coated and you'll still be money ahead.

Phill

Hydrocrabon looks bad and fake though. I talked with van he said the resonator delete and jlt tube didn't really make the supercharger any louder. He said a new throttle body woke the car up and then you could hear the supercharger scream.

I think due to the quiet nature of the TVS a more extreme measure like a throttle body and resonator delete are necessary.

But yea the JLT tube is exactly like a resonator delete no better no worse. I just rather have it because personally I like carbon fiber. But not worth getting apparently if your goal is to make the supercharger louder you need to pair with throttle body.

ill let you know when I get it on...if I need a throttle body later, so be it....little by little...car is a beast at it sits though

A throttle body will make a big difference. At least it will on earlier models. I'm not sure if the '13 uses a lager TB or not. I suspect it does but....

If they put a larger TB on the '13, it won't make as much difference as a '12 or earlier. If they used the same size TB, the potential is there for a big increase. One that you WILL feel in the seat of your pants.

EDIT: I said the intake tube is not a restriction. The Throtte Body *IS*, which is why you will see a performance increase with a larger one.

Phill

If you're going to go with a larger intake (127 mm for example) and tune to match, then a larger throttle body will benefit you. If you're staying with a stock maf then you're wasting your money on a larger TB. The stock 60mm flows quite well with the stock set up.

The 2013 uses a twin 60mm T/B. ( like the 2011 & 2012 )

FRPP markets a twin 65mm, ( M-9926-CJ65 ) & a mono-blade, ( M-9926-SCJ ), both are mgf. by Accufab. The mono-blade, ( 65mm x 147mm ), was good for 15 hp on my car which had a custom tune.....The T/B is fed by a 123mm air tube, custom MAF housing, & custom AFE air filter.

.6April2012JDMtrip005.jpg

.AFE24-99999filter004.jpg

Archived