TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT design team meetings

2+2

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think this would be an endorsement for 5W-30 for any supercharged, turbo charged, or any modified engine (cams, etc).

Sorry, not really. When you modify the engine, it's a whole different ballgame. The question was why the unmodified SGTs came with the 5W-30 sticker. I answered that question. If you modify your engine, you better change to the oil that is best suited for the stress you put on your engine. The manufacturer of your supercharger or turbocharger should have done the proper long term testing so they can tell you what to use.

AJ

I think the primary reason Ford went to 20 weight was to improve fuel economy. I am curious if anyone here that has had their vehicles modified at SAI, or Tasca, Quantum, etc have received any recommendations?

You are riding this oil thing pretty hard. Is there a bet going on that I don't know of? :baby:

You are riding this oil thing pretty hard. Is there a bet going on that I don't know of? :baby:

I was able to find out what tool company you used with the help of google.

I saw some comany cars for sale years ago and wished I could have bought one.

Did our SGT's come with the inflate a flat from FORD?

No AJ, there is no bet on the side. But I have always tried to buy the absolute best oil/filters etc for the SGT or any other car I own. There has always been the debate on this side re dino, synthetic blend, and full synthetic. And then the weight of the oil. I always thought that the 5W-30 was probably best and that Ford used 5W-20 so as to gain additional mileage for the EPA. But if I want the car/engine to last forever am I best to use 5W-20 or 30? There is not that much difference in either protection or mileage going from 20 to 30.

I was able to find out what tool company you used with the help of google.

I saw some comany cars for sale years ago and wished I could have bought one.

Did our SGT's come with the inflate a flat from FORD?

I don't think it did. The KR had the inflating kit instead of the spare tire.

AJ

There is not that much difference in either protection or mileage going from 20 to 30.

Correct. Also synthetic is better than natural, but if you go on the track, they don't usually like you running synthetic. It's really hard to clean up if you drop oil on the track...

AJ, now that we have moved beyond oil & filters, I did have another question. We now know of the reason

for not including the CS6/SGT-H hood with the SGT thanks to you. Was there other equipment that was

considered and then rejected for any reason for the SGT/SGT-H build? Or did you pretty much get everything

planned from the beginning? I guess a similar topic would be with the new for 2007 18x8.5 Bullitt wheels.

Even if the black wheels weren't ready for the promotional tour, your team must have seen them enough

in advance to include as part of the standard build.

-Tom

AJ, now that we have moved beyond oil & filters, I did have another question. We now know of the reason

for not including the CS6/SGT-H hood with the SGT thanks to you. Was there other equipment that was

considered and then rejected for any reason for the SGT/SGT-H build? Or did you pretty much get everything

planned from the beginning? I guess a similar topic would be with the new for 2007 18x8.5 Bullitt wheels.

Even if the black wheels weren't ready for the promotional tour, your team must have seen them enough

in advance to include as part of the standard build.

-Tom

Well, we had the chrome wheels and we knew how the black ones would look like. So, it was a low risk decision. For the rest we tried to keep everything as close to the GT-H as possible. Obviously we had an updated tune, a somewhat different CAI (lessons learnt on the GT-H) and the Hurst shifter for all the manual cars.

AJ

AJ; what can you tell us about the updated tune. How did it differ from the GT-H in 2006?

What was the difference between the CAI from 2006 to 2007?

The tune on the '06 GT-H was an aftermarket tune. For the SGT, Ford has tweaked it based on lessons learnt and optimized it for emissions testing. That's the reason we lost a few ponies between the two tunes.

The housing around the CAI had an updated design and material for the SGT. The GT-H CAI was not designed well for mass installation, because it wasn't needed. It was just an FRPP aftermarket pack in reality. For the SGT based on our requests and also Ford Racing's own experience they have switched to a plastic housing vs. the aluminum one, and they made it much easier to drop into the car.

The tune on the '06 GT-H was an aftermarket tune. For the SGT, Ford has tweaked it based on lessons learnt and optimized it for emissions testing. That's the reason we lost a few ponies between the two tunes.

The housing around the CAI had an updated design and material for the SGT. The GT-H CAI was not designed well for mass installation, because it wasn't needed. It was just an FRPP aftermarket pack in reality. For the SGT based on our requests and also Ford Racing's own experience they have switched to a plastic housing vs. the aluminum one, and they made it much easier to drop into the car.

How were the factory fog lights disconnected? Did someone use wire cutters?

I'm pretty sure they were all just disconected. The pigtail connectors are hanging behind the grill. I used mine when i wired the PIAA lights w/Shelby brake duct bezels.

Correct, they were simply disconnected and tucked away behind the grille. This way you could use aftermarket fog lights or re-install the factory ones if you wanted to.

AJ

Correct, they were simply disconnected and tucked away behind the grille. This way you could use aftermarket fog lights or re-install the factory ones if you wanted to.

AJ

When the suspension work was being done, were there any nuts and bolts that were re-used that were torqued down from Ford?

Bestia you wouldn't be coming to Vegas next week would you and bringing that sweet Terlingua? It would be a pleasure meeting the man behind the plan.

2008 convertibles retained the stock struts and dampers even though they listed FRP replacements on the sticker.

What was the reason the verts didn't get the blue FRP struts?

Hertz verts have stock struts also?

Bestia you wouldn't be coming to Vegas next week would you and bringing that sweet Terlingua? It would be a pleasure meeting the man behind the plan.

Both the concept Terlingua and myself are coming! Can hardly wait! Looking forward meeting you!

AJ

2008 convertibles retained the stock struts and dampers even though they listed FRP replacements on the sticker.

What was the reason the verts didn't get the blue FRP struts?

Hertz verts have stock struts also?

The handling packs for the SGT were tuned by Ford Racing. They felt based on extensive road-testing that the convertibles' more flexible chassis required the softer damping rates. At the time, if I remember correctly, the handling pack they were selling to regular convertible Mustang owners also retained the original struts and dampers, with the stiffer and lower springs.

AJ

The handling packs for the SGT were tuned by Ford Racing. They felt based on extensive road-testing that the convertibles' more flexible chassis required the softer damping rates. At the time, if I remember correctly, the handling pack they were selling to regular convertible Mustang owners also retained the original struts and dampers, with the stiffer and lower springs.

AJ

And yes, the 2007 Hertz verts used the stock black shocks and struts with the Blue FRPP springs.

Archived