TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT design team meetings

2+2

First off I can't believe that did not find this thread sooner (subscribed)! This thread is bringing back a ton off good memories.........

AJ,

Here's my question, I posted this a long time ago in a separate thread and never received a response. Can you provide any insight on this hang tag that was on the rear view mirror when I receive my SGT at the dealer fresh off the truck?

BuckSlip1.jpg

BuckSlip2.jpg

Here's my Oasis Report that John provided me with my build info;

OASIS_SAI_PG2_zpsa21572ce.jpg

OASIS_SAI_PG1_zps7677a947.jpg

Build Info:

Receipt Date: 8/14/2007

Serialize Date: 9/6/2007

Segment Date: 9/6/2007

Sequence Date: 9/13/2007

Blend Date: 9/17/2007

Produced Date: 9/25/2007

Gate Release Date: 9/26/2007

Ship Date: 10/2/2007

Arrival Date: 10/19/2007

Sold Date: 11/23/2007

By the way, I happen to be an owner that purchased my car outright from my local dealer while it was in Vegas sitting in the turn two lot waiting for the conversion (my dealer made me purchase one they already per-ordered to accept z-plan pricing). I received my title & tags/registration before I received my car on 12/10/2007 (boy the story of that day!)

I was able to work with John Walker and actually selected my CSM#, at the time my car was in process (November 2007), I asked for 08SGT0628 (wedding anniversary), 08SGT0802 (wife's birthday) & 08SGT1008 (my birthday) but all were already taken, he told me to pick something in the 1200 range, that's how I acquired 08SGT1234.

The front page is fairly self explanatory. It was given the OK to ship. The 3 guys are the technicians that have built the car. And it went through pre-shipping inspection and signed off by John.

The back page is NC for North Carolina. The 10-19 I don't remember what it meant, it was such long time ago, I'm sorry.

I think that if you email or call Shelby, they can actually retrieve the OASIS reports for most of the SGTs. Don't quote me on that, though.

I hope this helps.

AJ

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed A.J. sold his Terlingua. I hope he did not go cold turkey. And maybe some day even Amy Boylan can chime in.

I did sell the Terlingua, it was time to send her to a better home. It's in Kansas now.

I went half cold turkey ("You never go full cold turkey..."). I'm not involved with Shelby anymore and doing different projects, so I don't come back often. But if any of you ever have a question, feel free to PM me, and I will try to respond to the best of my memory.

AJ

The front page is fairly self explanatory. It was given the OK to ship. The 3 guys are the technicians that have built the car. And it went through pre-shipping inspection and signed off by John.

The back page is NC for North Carolina. The 10-19 I don't remember what it meant, it was such long time ago, I'm sorry.

I think that if you email or call Shelby, they can actually retrieve the OASIS reports for most of the SGTs. Don't quote me on that, though.

I hope this helps.

AJ

Please don't call or email SAI as company policy has changed when it comes to the Oasis reports. Several years back SAI would email a copy of the Oasis report in response to an owners request for one but unfortunately some of those owners went and posted these reports on the web so company policy had to be changed. These internal reports were never meant for public dissemination nor is SAI currently set-up to handle these type of requests. We understand the desire for owners to have these type of things which is why I used the word "currently" as we have had discussions on how to make these available once again.

Steve

I hope this helps.

AJ

Thanks AJ.....

I believe the 10/19 date is when the car arrived in Vegas from Flat Rock.

Any hint what the 11/28 TD-RR initials mean? That date seems to lines up when the car started the conversion process based on the dates on the OASIS.

Please don't call or email SAI as company policy has changed when it comes to the Oasis reports.

Please respect Steve's request on OASIS reports. They have changed their policy way after I left the company and I didn't know that. Excuse my ignorance...

AJ

Any hint what the 11/28 TD-RR initials mean?

No idea, sorry. The vehicle shipping team used those tags to help them sort out the cars. Shipments got reorganized frequently, maybe that's what was noted on the tag. Remember we shipped 7000+ cars in one year, with enclosed trailers from Vegas. That meant that sometimes 50+ cars were leaving our location on a single day. (Must be some sort of unofficial world record to ship so many cars with enclosed trailers from one location to 3200 dealerships in one year!). So, it's impossible to know the detailed build history of each car. Post-title cars would be a different story I would assume.... Sorry, I can't help more...

AJ

No idea, sorry. The vehicle shipping team used those tags to help them sort out the cars. Shipments got reorganized frequently, maybe that's what was noted on the tag. Remember we shipped 7000+ cars in one year, with enclosed trailers from Vegas. That meant that sometimes 50+ cars were leaving our location on a single day. (Must be some sort of unofficial world record to ship so many cars with enclosed trailers from one location to 3200 dealerships in one year!). So, it's impossible to know the detailed build history of each car. Post-title cars would be a different story I would assume.... Sorry, I can't help more...

AJ

AJ,

You've been very helpful filling in some gaps in the build process, thank you.

Yeah, when you look back in time at what SAI was able to accomplish from 2005 (the beginning of the SGT-H coupe) through the completion of the 2009 KRs is just amazing! And in the middle of all that, the post-title work on the SGT's and GT500's going on at the same time.

Here's a timeline for my SGT's birth at AAI & SAI to delivery at my dealership using the Ford database, SAI OASIS & hang tag dates;

Receipt Date: 8/14/2007 (CrossRoads Ford placed order in system)

Serialize Date: 9/6/2007 (Ford database)

Segment Date: 9/6/2007(Ford database)

Sequence Date: 9/13/2007(Ford database)

Blend Date: 9/17/2007(Ford database)

Produced Date: 9/25/2007(Ford database)

Gate Release Date: 9/26/2007(Ford database)

Ship Date: 10/2/2007 (Ford database) From AAI to SAI

Arrival Date: 10/19/2007(Ford database) This matches the date on the hang tag with the NC; arrival at SAI in Vegas

OASIS Report: 10/23/2007 This date matches the 'Move to' Pre-PDI data on the OASIS & hang tag
Sold Date: 11/23/2007(Ford database) This is when I purchased the car outright from the dealership in order to receive Z-Plan pricing and rebates
OASIS Report: 11/28/2007 This matches the 'Move to' PDI Station, Striping Lot, Striping Station, Pre-Production & Production Lot dates and the 11/28 (TD-RR) notation on the hang tag. John Walker also sent an email letting me know it was moved into production
OASIS Report: 12/05/2007 Ship Date, this matches the date that John Walker called to let me know the car shipped and to keep an eye out for it in 5-7 days
Dealer Arrival Date: 12/10/2007 Very happy day!
MITRESS_Delivery_zps9f00d8b4.jpg

AJ,

You've been very helpful filling in some gaps in the build process, thank you.

Yeah, when you look back in time at what SAI was able to accomplish from 2005 (the beginning of the SGT-H coupe) through the completion of the 2009 KRs is just amazing! And in the middle of all that, the post-title work on the SGT's and GT500's going on at the same time.

Here's a timeline for my SGT's birth at AAI & SAI to delivery at my dealership using the Ford database, SAI OASIS & hang tag dates;

Receipt Date: 8/14/2007 (CrossRoads Ford placed order in system)

Serialize Date: 9/6/2007 (Ford database)

Segment Date: 9/6/2007(Ford database)

Sequence Date: 9/13/2007(Ford database)

Blend Date: 9/17/2007(Ford database)

Produced Date: 9/25/2007(Ford database)

Gate Release Date: 9/26/2007(Ford database)

Ship Date: 10/2/2007 (Ford database) From AAI to SAI

Arrival Date: 10/19/2007(Ford database) This matches the date on the hang tag with the NC; arrival at SAI in Vegas

OASIS Report: 10/23/2007 This date matches the 'Move to' Pre-PDI data on the OASIS & hang tag
Sold Date: 11/23/2007(Ford database) This is when I purchased the car outright from the dealership in order to receive Z-Plan pricing and rebates
OASIS Report: 11/28/2007 This matches the 'Move to' PDI Station, Striping Lot, Striping Station, Pre-Production & Production Lot dates and the 11/28 (TD-RR) notation on the hang tag. John Walker also sent an email letting me know it was moved into production
OASIS Report: 12/05/2007 Ship Date, this matches the date that John Walker called to let me know the car shipped and to keep an eye out for it in 5-7 days
Dealer Arrival Date: 12/10/2007 Very happy day!

Nice timeline! Your anniversary for the "Very happy day!" is coming up :-)

I do have the pictures of the last SGT ever built from delivery to the lift and loading it on the truck heading out... I actually got admonished because I let the trucker know that was the last one and accidentally made it a superstar lol. also AJ do you remember the time it took little Jon and Adrian to build a SGT?

I do have the pictures of the last SGT ever built from delivery to the lift and loading it on the truck heading out... I actually got admonished because I let the trucker know that was the last one and accidentally made it a superstar lol. also AJ do you remember the time it took little Jon and Adrian to build a SGT?

So glad to hear your story. Love to hear more of them. Those pictures are great memories and important history.. What job did you do during that time? I wonder where that last SGT is?

It was a coordinated marketing effort with the display. Jim Owens was our marketing guru by the time replacing Joe Jacuzzi. He came from Ford and had the whole thing set up ahead of time. The cars were used at Shelby and at Ford for promotional purposes. I honestly don't remember which cars were specifically set up on stage, we had 6 cars total showing at different shows and events.

There wasn't special pressure, we were under the gun starting the summer of '06. Setting up the line, getting the cars built, build them right and to get them to the first customers was question of survival for the company. The team put in 110% effort, especially the guys on the assembly line. You should have seen how well they responded to the adversities, the unexpected problems and they came up with a lot of ingenioes solutions that later were incorporated into the processes. And at a certain point, around February-March of '07 all started clicking like clockwork.

AJ

This is a you tube link that shows the 1/4 mile race simulator talked about here.

It is kind of long, but I am sure SGT fanatics will be able to endure it !

Pretty exciting marketing going on there. If you were on the border about buying one at the time, I bet you had to have one after seeing that live.

Those two car did that all day long for days. I wonder where they are now? I would say the 4.6 is put together well.

Did anyone see this display live ?

I didn't see the SGT back in the day but I did the Ford simular at the 2010 Mustang reveal in Santa Clara (had quick time at the event)

My daughter followed up at BJ Orange County 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD2m_gtVRA4

• 4 weeks later...

This is a good read!

I am not sure of the technical term, but were the rear fenders rolled underneath during the suspension install?

Maybe not! I checked out a V6 Mustang and the insides of the fenders are the same as ours.

• 4 weeks later...

Then 07-2937, you may have been in charge of production when my 08' # 1929 rolled out the doors. Or did you just catch the Barrett-Jackson cars. You all did a great job.

• 1 year later...

what is interesting is that Ford did this to help the dealers. In response to the dealers requests for a version of the GT-H. Then the SGT pretty much flopped on the showroom floors. The first few probably sold for large ADM markups but most were little profit for the dealer. Many were sold at MSRP and many were sold for invoice. And by the way i noticed they mentioned in the video that the first SGT was WHITE (not plow horse black) and Ford and Shelby chose to introduce the best color (WHITE) on stage rather than drive dealers away with a black SGT. Obviously Ford and Shelby chose the best color and this should resolve the question for all times.

I wouldn't say a car that sold thousands of times over despite being doomed by greedy stealerships and all time low economy is a flop. Some cars sat on lots for a year that's not uncommon and most cars are better known better marketed and don't have half the ADM. A dealership near me had a KR brand new that just finally sold less then 3 years ago because they wouldn't drop their price, would you label that car a flop?

Your logic does not compute... you state it was a flop, but that they introduced the "best" color first. It makes more sense

that your two points are related. Ford/Shelby had already released the fast color (black) for the GT-H, and figured (wrong)

that a contrast would be better to show that folks had a choice. Now if they would've stuck with the original winning formula,

perhaps history would be different.

Or more likely: ADMs, poor marketing, and overestimated market doomed the sales message of the car as cheaper, better

handling, stronger legacy option to the GT500.

-Tom

• 5 months later...

Archived