TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FRPP TVS Installed (Updated with Videos)

Rarecat

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for the boost/vacuum release at shutdown, they had me do a simple test of running the car up to operating temp, rev a few times, then take off the oil fill cap and shut it down....the thought being that if the sound disappeared, I had a kinked PCV hose somewhere. The sound did not disappear..... and no hoses are kinked.....

Here's a real quick/easy way to eliminate a VERY possible suspect.

Disconnect the vacuum line to the power brake booster and plug it with something.

Start the engine, run it until it will normally make the hiss at shut-down, shut it down and see if the hiss remains.

If it does not hiss, you have a leak in your brake booster.

If it remains, you can continue with your diagnosis as you just eliminated the VACUUM booster as a cause.

I've seen many vacuum boosters do this. Either boosters or vacuum reservoirs used for such things as vacuum powered headlamp doors on the older Fords.

You brake booster is basically a vacuum reservoir and SHOULD hold vacuum so you have power assist in the event of a engine shut-down while the vehicle is still moving.

Also check the check valve where the vacuum line goes into the booster. The little plastic connector at the end of the line is a one-way valve. I've seen them get cocked in the rubber grommet and cause a leak (same symptom). Also look for a crack around the flat backside of the valve. Under vacuum, the flat surface can get pulled in and cause a leak but it's VERY hard to spot once vacuum is removed (it returns back to its normal state/look).

That is the ONLY thing I can think of on a modern day car (or a GT500) that would "hiss" after engine shut-down. The by-pass valve should move with vacuum, or the lack of vacuum but it shouldn't "hiss" when vacuum is removed.

You can also try pushing the brake pedal down after the hiss stops to see if it still feels like you have power assist. If the vacuum all leaks out, you won't have any residual assist (generally the brake pedal feels "HARD" without vacuum assist/power).

HTH,

Phill Pollard

Blower tested by Ford Racing, noise levels are within spec. The interesting tidbit is that there are two different TVS blowers sold under the same part number, an "early" unit and revised "later" unit. The early units have a lower tooth count on the drive gears and a tighter tolerance/clearance between the screw vanes. The later units have almost twice the number of teeth and a looser spec for the vanes, the Ford tech stated that the earlier units are louder, but capable of creating more boost.......mine is an early unit....

Which upgrade kit did you get? If you got the FRPP 660HP kit, would you agree with most people that the car is really taken to another level with it? Just want to get as many opinions as I can before laying out the $3,000 for it this winter. Thanks.

I got the 750 hp package and the car is an animal. Could never go back to stock.

Glad I got it professionally installed. No issues and would recommend JDM.

Blower tested by Ford Racing, noise levels are within spec. The interesting tidbit is that there are two different TVS blowers sold under the same part number, an "early" unit and revised "later" unit. The early units have a lower tooth count on the drive gears and a tighter tolerance/clearance between the screw vanes. The later units have almost twice the number of teeth and a looser spec for the vanes, the Ford tech stated that the earlier units are louder, but capable of creating more boost.......mine is an early unit....

I bought and installed Ford Racing TVS in April of 2008. The unit is as quite as stock, no extra noise, This makes me wonder what the manufacture date of your is?

I got the 750 hp package and the car is an animal. Could never go back to stock.

Glad I got it professionally installed. No issues and would recommend JDM.

I got the 750HP FRPP/Whipple 2.9L and same thing, could never go back. It's almost "too much" but that Traction Control button really comes in handy. For the most part, when I stat the car I hold the brake and the button until the message center tells me Advance Track Off

I got mine professionally installed to. BY ME! (retired Auto Repair Tech)

Phill

Blower is back on, car screams...... still don't like the sounds at idle but I can live with it...

Glad to hear that you got it back on now...was just wondering if you had gotten it back from Ford. I still have about a five month wait to get mine (saving money). How long did it take for you to put the supercharger back on the second time?

How do identify the 2 TVS's ? I have one but I don't know which one.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks for the update. Maybe we can tell the difference of the two blowers by production date? Same part # so there would be no other identifiers.

It took me about an hour to get it back on.....I asked Ford for the details or where the info about the differences are posted and they haven't provided anything yet. I think the production date would be the way to find out but I don't know for sure

Good info....wasn't aware of a design change....wonder why....and how one would know which they have....

It took me about an hour to get it back on.....I asked Ford for the details or where the info about the differences are posted and they haven't provided anything yet. I think the production date would be the way to find out but I don't know for sure

Wow...you are quick with getting that thing back on there...wish you lived close to me for when the time comes.

It would be nice if they would provide you with the information regarding the changes of the model. Maybe it happened when the price drop went into effect? Different process in manufacturing? Something along those lines?

I got the 750HP FRPP/Whipple 2.9L and same thing, could never go back. It's almost "too much" but that Traction Control button really comes in handy. For the most part, when I stat the car I hold the brake and the button until the message center tells me Advance Track Off

I got mine professionally installed to. BY ME! (retired Auto Repair Tech)

Phill

Phill,

I didn't know you were a professional auto tech. how's you like to do another TVS install??? I can easily bring it up from ABQ during one of my trips with my daughter. Still haven't seen your ride.

Jeff

Phill,

I didn't know you were a professional auto tech. how's you like to do another TVS install??? I can easily bring it up from ABQ during one of my trips with my daughter. Still haven't seen your ride.

Jeff

No problem. I've made the offer to anyone in the area. I still have all (most) of my tools here at home so I pretty much have a shop of my own (sans lift!). There's a ACE hardware store and a NAPA within a couple of miles from my house so I'm generally within short distance of any items "unforeseen".

Winter isn't a good time because I "winterize" my GT500 an that leaves very little room for work and the car is too close to the tool box to open all the drawers without banging the car!

But any "good weather" time is a good time for me.

Just let me know ahead of time!

Later,

Phill

It would be nice if they would provide you with the information regarding the changes of the model. Maybe it happened when the price drop went into effect?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

You make a good point. And generally, when the PRICE drops, so does the quality.

I say, GENERALLY.

Phill (can you say "China"?)

The outside case looks different now. Maybe it was when the case design change came into effect.

If anyone knows Justin Starkey well enough, he *should* know as he sells a TVS with his label on it (and his nose piece/pulley).

Phill

• 4 weeks later...

No problem. I've made the offer to anyone in the area. I still have all (most) of my tools here at home so I pretty much have a shop of my own (sans lift!). There's a ACE hardware store and a NAPA within a couple of miles from my house so I'm generally within short distance of any items "unforeseen".

Winter isn't a good time because I "winterize" my GT500 an that leaves very little room for work and the car is too close to the tool box to open all the drawers without banging the car!

But any "good weather" time is a good time for me.

Just let me know ahead of time!

Later,

Phill

Phill,

You got me thinking now, maybe I should cut to the chase and go with a new blower and bypass the pulley ungrade altogether. Also, going with a new CAI more then likely the JLT 127, we need all the air we can muster up in this altitute. Is the tune any different for high altitude? I may take you up on your offer, but you would be compensated for your time. Have you dyno'ed your kona?

Thanks!

Ray

1. You got me thinking now, maybe I should cut to the chase and go with a new blower and bypass the pulley ungrade altogether.

2. Also, going with a new CAI more then likely the JLT 127, we need all the air we can muster up in this altitute.

3. Is the tune any different for high altitude?

4. I may take you up on your offer, but you would be compensated for your time.

5. Have you dyno'ed your kona?

Ray,

Answer to your questions, in order of number:

1. If you are thinking about a pulley/tune and CAI/tune, that's already a pretty sizeable chunk of change that would put a good size payment on a 2.3L TVS. I can't remember, what year is your car (I'm thinking it's a '07-'09). The Ford Racing Perf. Parts 2.3L TVS is pretty reasonable and includes the tune and CAI already.

2. I calculated that I'm down right about 20% in power from sea level (I'm @ 6100' ASL) so yeah, we need more air just to compensate for the altitude up here in the clouds. The good part is, it's real arid up here so that gains you power (less water in the atomosphere to take up room that would normally be held by air/O2).

3. No, the Mass Air Flow system measures air mass (and hence density) and compensates for the low pressure. All modern day EFI systems have that capability although some use different means to determine it (Speed Density/MAP systems w/Baro sensors, MAP sensors, etc.).

4. I drink MGD! <lol>

5. I have not dyno'd it yet but I do plan to. I was thining about having it done here in the Springs but if you're on the Co. Shelby Breakfast Club Forum site you know that a member just bought out a CoS shop and got a Dyno in the deal, and is starting his own shop in Denver. If I don't do it up here in the mountains, I have a old racing buddy that has a Dyno specific shop in the East Bay area of San Fran. (San Jose) and I'd get to have it done at sea level and get a better idea of what the true HP is rather than a calculated number. That, and I trust him (Terry and his dad, Tom McCarthy) a WHOLE LOT more than I trust anyone else with my car. I also know that my car is a whole different animal when I get it down in good air. I took it to Vegas one time and it felt like it had twice the power (still stock) and LV is high desert (about 3500' ASL, if I remember right).

But I *will* get it done, just for peace of mind.

HTH,

Phill Pollard

The outside case looks different now. Maybe it was when the case design change came into effect.

I just looked at a new Roush RS3 with a RS2300 TVS on it. The first thing that was obvious is that there is no EGR valve on it.

I'm wondering if the "new style" TVS doesn't have a EGR mount, which would also explain why Roger Sorel said he was told by Ford Racing that it "wasn't compatable with the computer on a 2011 (and later) GT500". No EGR means it's not 50-State legal, as confirmed by the Emission sticker on the Roush hood I inspected (FED = Not for Sale in CA).

If the new ones have a EGR boss on them, I can't understand why someone as big as Roush wouldn't use one and open up his market to CA???

Something to ponder,

Phill

Phill,

Thanks for answering all my questions! Looking @ the FRPP 2.3L TVS it appears to be somewhat pricy in comparison to it's competition. Much more research to do, just trying to get my ducks lined up. I'll be bugging you more about this, hope you don't mine.

BTW - I've got the '07

Edit - Actually I've found some other venders that are competitive on the FRPP 2.3L TVS.

Regards,

Ray

Looking @ the FRPP 2.3L TVS it appears to be somewhat pricy in comparison to it's competition.

As you compare blowers, keep in mind that the FRPP is *complete*.

Blower, Pro-Cal w/Tune, Cold Air Intake/CAI, etc.

AND...it is 50-State legal and includes a EO# with stickers to prove it.

So when you find a afermarket "kit", be sure to compare what is included. You can get just the *blower* cheap. Then they stick you with the tune...and then a Cold Air Intake package, then......

What I'm saying is, just be sure to compare Apples to Apples and take into consideration the Oranges in the bunch. It might cost you the same to convert the Orange to a Apple.

Phill

Phill,

You have a good point on the comparisons of complete package versus trying to piece everything together. Good thing for me I've got sometime before a decision will be made.

More questions to come I'm sure.

Thanks again Phill!

Regards,

Ray

You have a good point on the comparisons of complete package versus trying to piece everything together. Good thing for me I've got sometime before a decision will be made.

Here's a quick "for example".

I checked the Ford Racing Parts site and see that they offer their 2.3L TVS kit for $3995.00.

That includes the Supercharger, a Pro-Cal tuner, a FRPP 50-State legal tune and a complete Cold Air Intake kit.

I checked the VMP Tuning site and see that they offer their 2.3L TVS supercharger (not "Kit") for $3500.00.

It does not APPEAR to include the Cold Air Intake, the SCT Tuner or a Tune and in fact there is a pull-down menu that asks if you already have a VMP tune w/SCT tuner (which changes the final price).

I can tell you with confidence that you will not get a Tuner tool, a Tune and a CAI Package for $400.00 and if I calculate it right, it will be *considerably* more than $400.00.

In fairness to others, VMP Tuning was the only site I checked (as their link is at the top of the TS page) so there might be other vendors that will meet or beat the Ford Racing $3900 price. I just can't say for sure.

HTH,

Phill

Phil:

Check out Buyfordracing.com, or Steve at Tousley Ford for the FULL Ford Racing 2.3 Kits, should be much cheaper. VMP's kit has a smaller Pulley standard with higher Boost,, a ported Blower and a CNC matched Elbow and the VMP specific Tune. If you already have a Cai, odds are you can use it with the new Blower. If I do up-grade, I'm leaning toward Justin's kit....

Archived