TEAM SHELBY FORUM

History, My 16 Year old has a learners permit

:happy feet: My son passed his G1 (Ontario learners permit). He has been driving with his mum for the last few months, on his alternate weeks with her. Every week he is at my house he has not had his licence. Kept it in his mums glove box. :slapfight:

You put that in your wallet, please, I said.

He listened.

Monday night, after I returned from Dearborn ( :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: ), we went for a 20 minute cruise to London to get him some new hockey equipment, pants and shin guards. ($300.00) .

We took off in my 2010 Ford Fusion Sport , (sport model, 263hp, me?, of course), He says, "Holly crap, this baby Accererates! Not like Mums wimpy (2005 Ford Windstar, 150,000 miles) car.!

A 50 mph zone recently changed to a 30 mph zone. On the way to London, he drove about 2 mph over the limit, as instructed in class.

A few people passed him and gave him a solute. I waited to see his reaction. He just smiled. He said, "They need to grow up!"

It is just like hockey. There are idiots and there are pros. The idiots never make it.!

I am so proud of William. :happy feet:

12 Students, Top mark in drivers Ed, last 6 years, 91. Before William. :happy feet:

He set the bar a little higher. 94. I am so proud of him. He said he only made a mistake on one turn. He was a little too carefull. I told him, "you can NEVER be too carefull, but you can always be careless.!" My quote. :worship:

Instead of selling my 40th Anniversary, 2004 Mustang GT, Crimson red/Arizona beige stripes, I made him a deal.

If he passes his G2 in 6 months, gets good grades, does not hurt anyone in his second year of Midget hockey, ( He plays to win, every shift), when he turns 17, he has earned the right to learn to drive my standard 04 Mustang.

It is a Five speed Standard Transmission, 265 HP fun as hell, car to drive.

He will master our brutal winter roads in my all wheel drive Ford Fusion, (with Snow tires) then in the spring, I can teach him the Force. The FORD MUSTANG FORCE. :happy feet:

There is and never will be a better Automotive platform for personality, style, power, and fun, t!yes, fun

than the Ford Mustang.

CAMERO, EAT YOUR HEART OUT I listened to Mr. LUFT. at the HENRY FORD museum.

Will's twin sister (8 minutes older) is ready to write her G1.

He has always shown her the way, from walking and falling badly at 7 mos, to the insane speeds he crused on the hard wood floors on there three wheeled machines, they have been the best of friends. :camera:

While Mum was away playing sports, DAD was videoing his little saints having fun.

I have video of my daughter cutting off her brother to make the double doors before him. :happy feet:

Congrats to him. My son David just recieved his license last Thursday. He's on the road now. He had a permit for over a year. David will be 17 next month.

David is learning the clutch. You have done well, Grassbberhopper.

It is the next level in Wills training.

:happy feet:

Cool! Back in the mid-90's I was teaching my then 16-year old son how to drive a stick/clutch in my 5.0 LX Mustang. We came to a redlight on a slight uphill slant. As he was trying to figure out how to press three pedals with two feet a police car pulled up in the other lane waiting on the light. As the light turned green he launches at about 4000 rpm to climb up the hill and scared the bejeebies out of the Cop. (LOL) :doh:

I never laughed so hard in my life teaching my sons how to drive a stick. We had a great time lurching forward and coming to a dead stop. And when they would get it going, the sheer fear of the stop sign that loomed ahead. Great memories :-) My youngest still drives a 6 speed SVT Focus. One awesome handling little car!

Congrats, welcome to lining the pockets of your insurance agent :rant2:

...and you're in Ontario, wait until he buries it into his first snow bank...oh, it'll happen, it's a rite of passage, at least for all of us western Canadian boys it was :doh:

My son took to a clutch like a duck to water...had it down in about an afternoon, of course, the car he learned on was like butter to shift (2006 Mini Cooper S), he drives a 2001 Bullitt now.

My daughter on the other hand was/'still is terrible...girl got no rhythym...with the stick shift or on the dance floor, (tell tale sign, she can't handle the stick shift) :hysterical: We have a different anxiety with her just starting this past weekend, we moved her out into University just under 500 miles away and she is still only 17 y.o.

We have a different anxiety with her just starting this past weekend, we moved her out into University just under 500 miles away and she is still only 17 y.o.

I feel your "pain" Tom, my daughter is only 17 as well and I dropped her off at college last Thursday.

First weekend at college, Hurricance Irene hits and floods the whole area!

Thanks for the kind words. ;)

We are expecting about 34,000 students in the next week or two on Campus.

About 18,000 of them female, 17-22 years old, and NEW DRIVERS!

Don't worry about your sons and daughters. We will take care of them.

My saying "She is someones daughter, It is our responsibility to look after them and keep them safe"

Would you want someone gawking at your child? :lol:

Thanks for the kind words. ;)

We are expecting about 34,000 students in the next week or two on Campus.

About 18,000 of them female, 17-22 years old, and NEW DRIVERS!

Don't worry about your sons and daughters. We will take care of them.

My saying "She is someones daughter, It is our responsibility to look after them and keep them safe"

Would you want someone gawking at your child? :lol:

Are you at Mac?

Congrats Ken...................always a proud moment when a child takes another step towards adulthood.

Now, everyone stay off the sidewalks........William is behind the wheel................. :peelout:

Just kidding with you Ken .................... :hysterical:

Congrats Ken...................always a proud moment when a child takes another step towards adulthood.

Now, everyone stay off the sidewalks........William is behind the wheel................. :peelout:

Just kidding with you Ken .................... :hysterical:

Thanks Dan. He made his hockey team. :happy feet:

That means he gets to drive to games with dad, in the snow! :rant2:

Wait, he is not allowed on roads over 80k (50mph).

Stay on the Hiways, you should be safe! :hysterical:

Great story!

My son also just received his Driving Permit. Have to get him 45 hrs of driving time as part of his prep for license. He's a kart racer, so driving at speed in traffic (spacing and closure rates) won't bother him. Unlike being on the track though, he'll have to learn on the roads/highways you never really know what the other driver's intentions are...

We'll begin work on the stick and clutch lessons in the near future!

Keith

Archived